PDA

View Full Version : CBS SprotsLine Compare Sox-Cards Matchup

Goose
07-13-2005, 11:57 AM
Interesting article by CBS SportsLine. They are comparing the Sox and Cards position by position should they match-up head-to-head. One thing that is not considered, however is the "whole (team) is greater than the sums of its parts" school of thought. Interested to hear your thoughts.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8640439

Soxzilla
07-13-2005, 12:03 PM
I will take our rotation, thank you very much.

And you can't use ERA as a deciding factor when talking about bullpen. They pitch in the National League, ERA's are skewed. I agree with a lot of the rest, though.

Steakpita
07-13-2005, 12:05 PM
I read that... good analysis, and I'm glad they did it so many months in advance.

The one significant disagreement I had was in the bullpen. I see that the Cards have a great 'pen, and I'd love to have a few of their guys, but not many RP staffs have pitched better than ours. That should really be a dead heat, IMO.

Would Cards-Sox be an I-55 Series? Just wondering...

RKMeibalane
07-13-2005, 12:07 PM
I read that... good analysis, and I'm glad they did it so many months in advance.

The one significant disagreement I had was in the bullpen. I see that the Cards have a great 'pen, and I'd love to have a few of their guys, but not many RP staffs have pitched better than ours. That should really be a dead heat, IMO.

Would Cards-Sox be an I-55 Series? Just wondering...

Yes, it would be an I-55 series.

fquaye149
07-13-2005, 01:16 PM
bull**** on them having better starting pitching. Sorry. Buehrle, Garcia, and Garland all:

a.) are better than any starter on the Cards
b.) don't pitch in the national league

Whatever...I don't disagree that looking at most things individually the Cardinals are a "better" team than the White Sox.

Maybe that does mean they are a better team than we are, at least according to cbs.sportsline

Oh well...How is it then that they have a worse record than us playing in baseball's ****tiest division?

Tekijawa
07-13-2005, 01:20 PM
Whew... and I thought I was going to have to start saving to buy all the playoff tickets, I'm glad they showed me what a waste of money that would be!

AaronsAmigos
07-13-2005, 01:27 PM
the cardinals starting pitchers also have an amazing offense too

Soxzilla
07-13-2005, 01:57 PM
the cardinals starting pitchers also have an amazing offense too

Our offense would look amazing too if we got to face the Cubs, Pirates, Reds and Brewers pitching staffs on a regular basis.

Cowhead418
07-13-2005, 06:16 PM
I don't like how the Cardinal fans are kind of acting like asses over on that forum. It's unbelievable how they compare ERA. The Sox are in a better league in an extreme hitter's park in the AL, which is far superior to the NL this year. Plus the division the Sox are in is far superior to the NL Central. Add all that up and the Sox STILL have the better record. That was bad reporting.

MRKARNO
07-13-2005, 09:04 PM
Yes, it would be an I-55 series.
Moreso than a Cubs-Cards series, too. You can actually see the Cell from I-55 (and Busch as well), unlike Wrigley.