PDA

View Full Version : Podsednik's limited role

A_ROW33
07-13-2005, 08:16 AM
Does anyone else feel a bit cheated that Podsednik only got to play the outfield even though he received nearly four million votes from fans who wanted him specifically to play in the game? I am assuming that he did not receive all of those votes so us fans could see him play center field. Francona should have played the player the fans specifically wanted to see in the game. How many times can we stand watching Garret Anderson and Gary Sheffield swing at pitches way out of the zone against lidge?

Baby Fisk
07-13-2005, 08:20 AM
It's too bad he didn't get to come to the plate. He got to play a half inning in LF. It's like Moonlight Podsednik. Oh well. Here's to 90 stolen bases. :cool:

ondafarm
07-13-2005, 08:23 AM
I don't think Podsednik would share your opinion.

When I was a player and finally got to an All-Star game (where I had pretty good seats) I can tell you that most of the players were really just thrilled to be there.

I think had the game been a close one, requiring manufactering a single run, then Podsednik would have featured a lot more prominently. As it was, he wasn't needed and the AL got the win. I'd say forget it. Francona did a good job.

Frater Perdurabo
07-13-2005, 08:26 AM
Podsednik was on deck in the bottom of the eighth. Pods would have batted if the hitter at the plate hadn't made an out. I'm not really bothered that Pods didn't get an at bat. It would have been nice to see him pinch-run and steal a base, but as you said, Anderson and Sheffield didn't get on base to let that happen, either.

Just be glad all four Sox players got into the game and didn't get injured. The Sox will need them for the stretch run. Also, be very glad the Sox now have home field advantage for the World Series! And if they keep up the best record in the AL, they will have home field advantage in the ALDS and ALCS as well!

:supernana:

Baby Fisk
07-13-2005, 08:29 AM
Just be glad all four Sox players got into the game and didn't get injured. The Sox will need them for the stretch run. Also, be very glad the Sox now have home field advantage for the World Series! And if they keep up the best record in the AL, they will have home field advantage in the ALDS and ALCS as well!

Perhaps the best moment was realizing that there were FOUR White Sox players there and only THREE Yankee players. It was as if the universe had finally righted itself. I was having palpitations.

Sad
07-13-2005, 08:44 AM
Perhaps the best moment was realizing that there were FOUR White Sox players there and only THREE Yankee players. It was as if the universe had finally righted itself. I was having palpitations.

Amen.

Dan H
07-13-2005, 08:55 AM
The White Sox were well represented for a change which just reflected the season they are having. There are much bigger things to worry about.

The Wall
07-13-2005, 09:11 AM
What bothers me with the treatment of Scott in the game is that if his rival in the poll (Jeter) had won, he would have had atleast 3 At-Bats.

It just shows there is still some high-handedness from the MLB in a game that matters or just that Francona wasnt intending to use Scottie at all in any situation no matter what.

SOXintheBURGH
07-13-2005, 09:18 AM
I was upset but then I got over it. Pods was happy to be there and tip his cap at the introduction and got to get on the field. The game was a snoozer anyway.

infohawk
07-13-2005, 09:41 AM
If the AL hadn't jumped out to a big lead then a lot of guys probably wouldn't have played. As it turned out, Francona worked every player into the game. This was pretty standard under the old format when the games didn't count for anything. It's not anymore. I thought Francona did a pretty good job.

Did anyone catch Francona's comment to Macha after Buerhle struck out the last batter of the second inning? He said something like, "Just when you think you've seen everything he has, he throws that." Pretty cool!

SOXSINCE'70
07-13-2005, 09:45 AM
Did anyone catch Francona's comment to Macha after Buerhle struck out the last batter of the second inning? He said something like, "Just when you think you've seen everything he has, he throws that." Pretty cool!

Get used to it,Terry.You'll see him next weekend at Sox Park.
My ferverent prayer is that Beuhrle does not repeat his last start
against the Blow Sawx , a horrendous outing where he gave up
6 runs highlighted by a Manny Ramierez grand slam.:angry: :angry:

White Sox Josh
07-13-2005, 10:01 AM
If the game had been close Pods would have pinch run for somebody. It was only 7-3 i believe in the bottom of the 8th.

balke
07-13-2005, 11:23 AM
It was better than him jamming a finger or pulling a hammy running the bases probably. I would've liked to see him make a difference in a close game, but this game wasn't close at all. Its probably better he wasn't asked to steal.

AaronsAmigos
07-13-2005, 11:55 AM
i think that terry francona did a bad job at putting eveyone in he could have put scott in the 7th i mean the american league was up 7-2 at the time whats the big deal!

JB98
07-13-2005, 12:01 PM
What bothers me with the treatment of Scott in the game is that if his rival in the poll (Jeter) had won, he would have had atleast 3 At-Bats.

It just shows there is still some high-handedness from the MLB in a game that matters or just that Francona wasnt intending to use Scottie at all in any situation no matter what.

I'm not buying any of this. If there had been a situation where the AL team needed a stolen base, I'm sure Podsednik would have been called upon. Would I have liked it if Scott had gotten an at-bat? Of course. I wish Konerko would have gotten a hit in his at-bat too. It just didn't happen.

Instead of bitching, I think we should count our blessings. We had four of our players in the game. Since when does that ever happen? We rarely get that type of respect. Buerhle got the win. He and Garland both put zeroes up on the board. The AL has homefield advantage in the World Series. Hopefully, that will pay off for the Sox down the road. Most of what happened last night was good, and I'm not going to nitpick at Francona's managing. I thought he did a pretty good job.

jshanahanjr
07-13-2005, 02:27 PM
Terry did a good job getting most guys in. He didn't leave Mussina in the bullpen warming up like Cito did back in 93.

Ben Lang
07-13-2005, 02:46 PM
The managers are now managing to win the game rather than just give everyone a chance to play since there is more at stake. If the game had gone to extra innings than the last players to selected would probably get their chance to play. I was surprised he got in the game at all.

iamkoza
07-13-2005, 03:38 PM
the ideal situation would have been for konerko to get on base, and scotty PR for him... but pauly struck out on three pitches

iamkoza
07-13-2005, 03:40 PM

Macha probably responded, "Big deal, my team owns him and the rest of the white sox :)"