PDA

View Full Version : Question on trading between leagues

downstairs
07-13-2005, 08:55 AM
As a kid I seem to remember some specific rules (i.e. deadlines, timeframes) on trading between the AL and NL as compared to trading within your league.

Does this or has this ever existed?

Or am I just remembering wrong?

RKMeibalane
07-13-2005, 09:53 AM
As a kid I seem to remember some specific rules (i.e. deadlines, timeframes) on trading between the AL and NL as compared to trading within your league.

Or am I just remembering wrong?

I'm not sure. I suppose there could have been rules in place. If there were, however, they don't appear to be used anymore.

Ol' No. 2
07-13-2005, 10:05 AM

Or am I just remembering wrong?I think there were rules at one time, but they've long gone. The only one remining is the waiver rule, where all the teams in your league have to pass on a player before any team in the other league can claim him.

Frater Perdurabo
07-13-2005, 10:21 AM
I think there were rules at one time, but they've long gone. The only one remining is the waiver rule, where all the teams in your league have to pass on a player before any team in the other league can claim him.

But that's only after July 31, yes? Isn't July 31 the "non-waiver trade deadline?"

Ol' No. 2
07-13-2005, 10:29 AM
But that's only after July 31, yes? Isn't July 31 the "non-waiver trade deadline?"I could be wrong, but I thought the same rule applied to all waiver claims. Priority goes to the lowest team in the same league, then the lowest team in the other league.

RKMeibalane
07-13-2005, 10:29 AM
But that's only after July 31, yes? Isn't July 31 the "non-waiver trade deadline?"

I think it's true for anyone placed on waivers at any time. To answer your question, any trade made after July 31 requires that players be placed on waivers first, and then they must clear waivers before the trade can be completed.

Ol' No. 2
07-13-2005, 10:35 AM
I think it's true for anyone placed on waivers at any time. To answer your question, any trade made after July 31 requires that players be placed on waivers first, and then they must clear waivers before the trade can be completed.Waivers after the July 31 deadline are also "revocable" waivers, meaning that the team can pull the player back if he's claimed. IIRC that's not true for waivers before that time.