PDA

View Full Version : What did Pauly say?

JermaineDye05
07-13-2005, 12:18 AM
during the allstar game in Carlos Lee's second AB he grounded out to Michael Young, and after Young threw to first I heard Pauly say something as Carlos was passing, I'm just wondering if anyone caught what he said

Deadguy
07-13-2005, 12:31 AM
:walnuts

"I haven't seen my Hootie and Blowfish cassette since September. You wouldn't happen to know where it is, as no one else seems to know."

Mercy!
07-13-2005, 01:42 AM
during the allstar game in Carlos Lee's second AB he grounded out to Michael Young, and after Young threw to first I heard Pauly say something as Carlos was passing, I'm just wondering if anyone caught what he said
"Foul Ball!"

Actually, it was Carlos's third at bat and it sounded like PK said, "that's [an] out."

bobwsx
07-13-2005, 07:40 AM
I heard that to.I kept rewinding it.I think he said "how odd".My wife thinks he said "thats hot".

Jerko
07-13-2005, 09:46 AM
Maybe he said "Timo Perez is the best left fielder I ever played with". Or, "He GONE".

Rocky Soprano
07-13-2005, 10:08 AM

"Carlos is the best outfielder I have ever played with."

veeter
07-13-2005, 10:20 AM
He said, "I too will be gone because I make too much money. The Sox will use that money for even more pitching. The Gload/ Rogowski era will begin in 2006."

34 Inch Stick
07-13-2005, 01:47 PM
"Keep pounding the Cubs"

hawkjt
07-13-2005, 01:52 PM
Not sure what he said to CLee but did see a quote from him in USAToday this am. '' Scotty dominates and controls the game out on the basepaths-Never seen anything like it.''

Now go ahead and start ripping Paulie for this compliment of Scotty.

BigEdWalsh
07-13-2005, 01:54 PM
"So how do you like being the Big Deal in Beer Town?"

mealfred13
07-13-2005, 02:17 PM
I also heard Paulie in the dugout after he struck out when they came back from commercial. He was putting his bat and helmet away and he said something like, "What the heck was that? I have no idea what that was. It broke like a sinker but it didn't look like a sinker coming in."

illinibk
07-13-2005, 02:21 PM
I also heard Paulie in the dugout after he struck out when they came back from commercial. He was putting his bat and helmet away and he said something like, "What the heck was that? I have no idea what that was. It broke like a sinker but it didn't look like a sinker coming in."
I am sure he says that often, as he has a hard time identifying any pitch other than a fastball.

Skippy
07-13-2005, 02:23 PM
"You sure ain't no Jeff Leifer!"

RKMeibalane
07-13-2005, 02:25 PM
I am sure he says that often, as he has a hard time identifying any pitch other than a fastball.

That's always amazed me. Some hitters can't tell what kind of pitch is coming at them, while others can determine not only the type of pitch, but also its speed. Frank won a lot of bets doing this in college. Even today, he can still guess the pitch type and its velocity.

Steakpita
07-13-2005, 02:52 PM
Paul Konerko - 8 GW RBI's this year. I think that's tied for fourth in the AL, and is best on the sox. Haters, anything to say about this?

maurice
07-13-2005, 03:06 PM
I didn't think anybody still kept track of game-winning RBI, since it's a bogus stat. Every RBI before the GW RBI is equally valuable, since every one of them was needed to win the game. GW RBI is even less significant in blowouts.

The obvious stat to measure clutch hits is AVE w/ RiSP. Konerko = .220 (approx. 208th in MLB).
Another good one is AVE w/ RiSP & 2 out. Konerko = .136 (approx. 229th in MLB).

Tragg
07-13-2005, 03:09 PM
I didn't think anybody still kept track of game-winning RBI, since it's a bogus stat. Every RBI before the GW RBI is equally valuable, since every one of them was needed to win the game. GW RBI is even less significant in blowouts.

You could make the same argument about a save; and an even better one when the saver gives up a couple of runs and still gets a save, while middle reliief may have pitched more effective innings.

I think there's some value in Game winning RBI - any RBI that ties the score or puts you in the lead after, say, inning 6. Sort of measures "clutchness".

Tragg
07-13-2005, 03:13 PM

"Hey Carlos, can you explain to me how in the hell Royce Clayton didn't make the all star game this year?"

maurice
07-13-2005, 03:17 PM
I think there's some value in Game winning RBI - any RBI that ties the score or puts you in the lead after, say, inning 6. Sort of measures "clutchness".

I suppose, but I don't think anybody measures this. The stats I referenced are widely available and paint a very bleak picture of Konerko's clutchiness. Another problem is that GW RBI is not a rate stat. . . . that is, it doesn't measure how often a player drives in the GW RBI when given the opportunity to do so. It's already been established that Konerko has an absurdly high number of RBI opportunities (82 ABs -- the most on the team by far) and fails at a very high rate, particularly for a one-dimensional player who makes $8.75 million. Everett has almost the same number of RBI in FAR fewer opportunities and for far less money.

jshanahanjr
07-13-2005, 03:24 PM
I think he told Carlos good job for driving in a run.

So.ILSoxFan
07-13-2005, 03:59 PM
We need to focus on what's really important,

pauly? paulie? I prefer paulie.

btw, skippy, did you see that someone finished your request for the modified pic in your sig, i think it's on the test board...

:D:

Mr. White Sox
07-13-2005, 04:08 PM
I prefer Paulie as well.

AVG with RISP/AVG with RISP 2-out are far more important stats than GW-RBI, because there is a much larger sample size. PK may have had more at-bats with RISP than anyone else in the league, and that's why his GW-RBI are higher...or, he just got lucky as to when his runs were driven in.

Whitesox029
07-13-2005, 05:52 PM
"Hey Carlos, I'm going to open my mouth and act like I'm talking to you, but I'm really trying to get a thread started at WSI in which people will guess what sort of scandalous thing I am now saying."

HITMEN OF 77
07-13-2005, 06:06 PM
I prefer Paulie as well.

AVG with RISP/AVG with RISP 2-out are far more important stats than GW-RBI, because there is a much larger sample size. PK may have had more at-bats with RISP than anyone else in the league, and that's why his GW-RBI are higher...or, he just got lucky as to when his runs were driven in.

Take away his GW-RBI's and we may be only 1 up on the Stinks.

maurice
07-13-2005, 06:18 PM
Take away his GW-RBI's and we may be only 1 up on the Stinks.

This is ridiculous. First, as already has been pointed out, having the GW RBI doesn't mean that your RBI won the game. It just means it was one of the significant RBI in the game. When a team wins 10-1, the guy who drove in the 2nd runs gets the GW RBI. Does that mean that they would have lost the game if you "take away his GW RBI"? Second, if you take away Mr. GW RBI and replace him with a player who hits better than 208th in RBI situations, you might be 15 games up.

The aPaulogists are really grasping at straws now.

HITMEN OF 77
07-13-2005, 06:23 PM
This is ridiculous. First, as already has been pointed out, having the GW RBI doesn't mean that your RBI won the game. It just means it was one of the significant RBI in the game. When a team wins 10-1, the guy who drove in the 2nd runs gets the GW RBI. Does that mean that they would have lost the game if you "take away his GW RBI"? Second, if you take away Mr. GW RBI and replace him with a player who hits better than 208th in RBI situations, you might be 15 games up.

The aPaulogists are really grasping at straws now.

How many games have the Sox won 10-1? I think there 1 run games records says enough on this matter.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-13-2005, 06:32 PM
How many games have the Sox won 10-1? I think there 1 run games records says enough on this matter.

Konerko has one of the WORST batting averages with runners in scoring position in the entire league and yet you are still going to assert it is Konerko who deserves the credit for winning all these one run games?

WOW... JUST WOW....
:o::o::o:

There are at least 200 other hitters in MLB who make even more of the rbi opportunities handed Paul Konerko on a silver platter hitting in front of Pods, Iguchi and Thomas.

Un-****ing-believable the lengths some will go to defend this guy's lousy production...

HITMEN OF 77
07-13-2005, 06:38 PM
The Sox are in first place by 9 games, on pace to set a franchise record for wins and we are arguing over mid year stats and a quote taken out of context, that's UN ****ing believable. I'm done, let's get on with baseball now and the Sox 2nd half push to win the AL central.

maurice
07-13-2005, 06:39 PM
How many games have the Sox won 10-1?

What difference does it make? The same principle applies if they won 3-1, 2-0, 5-2, etc. It's assinine to assume that every single GW RBI comes in a 1-run game and that the absense of that 1 run would have caused the team to lose. Besides, even if every GW RBI did come in a 1-run game, subtracting 1 run doesn't ensure defeat. You just play extra innings. As you implied, the Sox are extremely likely to win a close game. Finally, none of this is any defense to the undisputed fact that Konerko gets an absurd number of RBI opportunities because he's the cleanup hitter on a team with a good 1-2 and that he fails in an unacceptably high number of those chances.

Let me spell it out for you: It's a VERY BAD THING for a cleanup hitter to be 208th in RBI situations. Attributing the Sox record to Konerko's alleged clutch hitting is about as logical as attributing it to the great bunting ability of Willie Harris.

AaronsAmigos
07-13-2005, 06:46 PM
The Sox are in first place by 9 games, on pace to set a franchise record for wins and we are arguing over mid year stats and a quote taken out of context, that's UN ****ing believable. I'm done, let's get on with baseball now and the Sox 2nd half push to win the AL central.
i agree:bandance:

PaleHoseGeorge
07-13-2005, 06:49 PM
Attributing the Sox record to Konerko's alleged clutch hitting is about as logical as attributing it to the great bunting ability of Willie Harris.

Speaking of Willie, has he been sent down yet? He was packing his shoes in the clubhouse last Sunday.

I never realized just how much his bunting production helped us win all those one-run games.

:roflmao:

nedlug
07-13-2005, 08:09 PM
Paul Konerko - 8 GW RBI's this year. I think that's tied for fourth in the AL, and is best on the sox. Haters, anything to say about this?

How many of those really counted? Shoota?

Skippy
07-13-2005, 09:19 PM
We need to focus on what's really important,

btw, skippy, did you see that someone finished your request for the modified pic in your sig, i think it's on the test board...

:D:

Way over my head.

BTW, I just noticed the increase size, decrease size links on the edit post screen. Huh huh

Disantinon
07-14-2005, 12:11 AM
Since we got on the subject... what is the definition of a game winning RBI?

My roommate and I argued about this last night. He claimed the Tejada had the game winning RBI, I said no, it couldn't be because the NL scored more than 2 runs.

If I am right, who had the game winning RBI? The guy who drove in run #6? My theory is that no one had one. My assumption is the a game winning RBI is one that gives your team a lead which it maintains.

Roomate made this interesting argument: Tejada's RBI gave Buehrle the W, therefore it is the game winning RBI.

bobwsx
07-14-2005, 07:55 AM
I heard Paulie on sports radio.Can't remember if it was ESPN or the score.Anyway they asked him a question about a soft first half and what his thoughts where on the rough second half playing NY,BOS,BALT,MIN,CLE,LAA,TEX...He said "the way we look at is the have to play us."He sounded like a great guy and a team guy.So I think we should lay off the guy.I bet he has a huge second half .315 20 60....

shoota
07-15-2005, 04:34 AM
How many of those really counted? Shoota?

haha :cool:

Not only do they all count, but Paulie should be credited with more home runs, RBI, and thus, batting average too. Had I been keeping track all season, I would have kept a tally of all the just foul ball home runs he's hit. He's also had way more than usual foul balls hit outside the foul line.

1/2 teal. I can't credit him for foul balls, but I can acknowledge that he could be hitting much better if he didn't just miss at such an unusually high rate.