DoggPhood
07-12-2005, 11:29 PM
:gulp:

buehrle4cy05
07-12-2005, 11:30 PM
:bandance:

TDog
07-12-2005, 11:33 PM
I enjoy the spirit of optimism. I also know that there's still a lot of baseball season left. And then there are the playoffs. The Sox may have the homefield advantage against the A's.

SOXintheBURGH
07-12-2005, 11:34 PM
Looks like the Cards are gonna get swept up at home yet again. :supernana:

Bisco Stu
07-12-2005, 11:35 PM
It's nice to know the road to the World Series now goes through Chicago South.

SoxSpeed22
07-12-2005, 11:39 PM
Good job by Buehrle, Konerko and Garland tonight. Good 9th inning defense by Pods. :redneck
Congrats to Tejada, the MVP and turned in that DP for Mark.
:burly"I win games! Screw you Maddux!"

Ventura Fan 23
07-12-2005, 11:44 PM
I'm so happy that Buehrle got the win. He matched Loaiza's two 2003 all-star game scorless innings.

gosox3072
07-12-2005, 11:46 PM
So far this season has gone PERFECT......it continues tonite!:supernana:

Fake Chet Lemon
07-12-2005, 11:50 PM
Nice to see our guys continue to dominate Derek Lee.....HE GONE! He's no triple crown threat against our arms.

Deadguy
07-12-2005, 11:55 PM
So this means Frank will be starting games 3 and 4 at 1B, instead of the first two games.

Soxzilla
07-12-2005, 11:55 PM
Great All-Star game.

But according to Robin Robinson...not nearly as fun as the one last year in Chicago.:rolleyes:

Soxzilla
07-12-2005, 11:56 PM
So this means Frank will be starting games 3 and 4 at 1B, instead of the first two games.

More importantly, he will be on the field when we clinch in the bottom of the ninth after Hermanson closes out the Cardinals for the WS victory.

slobes
07-13-2005, 12:00 AM
At first I wanted the NL to come back in the 9th so Scotty could get to bat and win the game for us, but then I realized that this would cause Buehrle to not get the win, and I was really torn between what I should do.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-13-2005, 12:12 AM
Me and my cousin made a Chant.."Strike 3 Derrek Lee!"
...Anywho AWSOME game by Buehrle and Garland.

California Sox
07-13-2005, 12:19 AM
I don't mean to :dtroll: but I'm not sure home field is that big an advantage for us seeing as the Sox haven't won a home playoff game since 1959.

Even in the Seattle series, we looked a lot better there than in Chi. Oh well, this has been a year of firsts. Maybe the law of averages catches up and we sweep all our home playoff games!

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-13-2005, 12:20 AM
yeah, just look at the cubs series

cleanwsox
07-13-2005, 12:22 AM
I don't mean to :dtroll: but I'm not sure home field is that big an advantage for us seeing as the Sox haven't won a home playoff game since 1959.

Even in the Seattle series, we looked a lot better there than in Chi. Oh well, this has been a year of firsts. Maybe the law of averages catches up and we sweep all our home playoff games!

I think this whole thread needs to be deep pink.... but I love the thought of everything here. Makes me think about it and it gives me chills.

TornLabrum
07-13-2005, 12:25 AM
I vote that the title of this thread be renamed Counting Chickens Before They're Hatched.

Jjav829
07-13-2005, 12:26 AM
Great All-Star game.

:?: :(:

I missed it. I was busy watching this crappy, boring game they showed on Fox. What channel was the great All-Star game on?

Thunderstruck30
07-13-2005, 12:43 AM
The AL is now 14-3-1 in the All Star Game since I was born.

chisoxfanatic
07-13-2005, 12:46 AM
Gotta love the supremacy of our league!!!

Could this be OUR year??? :supernana:

DrCrawdad
07-13-2005, 12:47 AM
When was/is the All-Stars Futures Game? And when is it on ESPN?

iamkoza
07-13-2005, 12:48 AM
it sounded like the fans had passed out, such a dull game.

ilsox7
07-13-2005, 01:28 AM

It was Sunday right about when the Sox played. I am pretty sure it was broadcast on ESPN then.

kojak
07-13-2005, 01:52 AM
The AL is now 14-3-1 in the All Star Game since I was born.

By my 20th birthday, the AL was 1-19 in the All Star Game in my lifetime.

Then they won at Comiskey (US Landline) in '83 and are 16-6 since.

kojak
07-13-2005, 01:54 AM
Interesting to note:

1993- Black Jack McDowell was the winning pitcher in the ASG. Sox won division

2000- James Baldwin was the winning pitcher in the ASG. Sox won division

2005- Mark Buehrle was the winning pitcher in the ASG....

Bisco Stu
07-13-2005, 02:10 AM
Yeah, I know we haven't won a postseason game at home since 59, but any team with that winning mentality wants to have homefield advantage for any and every series.

So.ILSoxFan
07-13-2005, 04:18 AM
Interesting to note:

1993- Black Jack McDowell was the winning pitcher in the ASG. Sox won division

2000- James Baldwin was the winning pitcher in the ASG. Sox won division

2005- Mark Buehrle was the winning pitcher in the ASG....

Sorry, Not gonna happen this year, the twins just picked up Brett Boone :rolleyes:

batmanZoSo
07-13-2005, 05:54 AM
it sounded like the fans had passed out, such a dull game.

Yeah, that's just the nature of the Detroit people taking over. Our last series there was the quietest I've ever heard of a substantial crowd, i.e. excluding Tampa bay.

And your statement also makes me think what a joke the game is. Okay, this game can just about determine who wins the World Series and in the first inning, these guys are laughing and snickering at each other from across the field as if it's a meaningless exhibition, which it should be, but just isn't anymore.

Think about it. If a series goes 7 games and you're on the road, you're pretty much done. There just doesn't seem to be much effort there. Although I'm sure it's difficult if not impossible to just turn on the intensity, with 30 guys you don't play with, for one game. Adds further argument to the game being a joke.

Why is baseball different than other sports? For some reason they feel they have to either take turns with homefield or award it based on some silly get together in midsummer that means nothing. Homefield should be earned. There is no more division between AL and NL, hasn't been for years. These teams all play each other. Give it to whoever has the best record. And the nod goes to a division winner over a Wild Card sneak-in.

TornLabrum
07-13-2005, 07:10 AM
Sorry, Not gonna happen this year, the twins just picked up Brett Boone :rolleyes:

We might as well concede right now!

downstairs
07-13-2005, 08:51 AM
More importantly, he will be on the field when we clinch in the bottom of the ninth after Hermanson closes out the Cardinals for the WS victory.

Huh? Why would you bring in Hermanson when a no-hitter is being pitched??

....(getting ahead of myself.)

DrCrawdad
07-13-2005, 09:04 AM
It was Sunday right about when the Sox played. I am pretty sure it was broadcast on ESPN then.

I found the box score. (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050710&content_id=1124782&vkey=allstar2005&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb#box) It doesn't look like any Sox prospects played, as far as I can tell.

Deuce
07-13-2005, 09:10 AM

:cower:

No first base for Frank!

Frater Perdurabo
07-13-2005, 09:41 AM
:cower:

No first base for Frank!

Ummm... Unless Guillen is a complete moron (in which case he would botch the Sox chance to make the Series long before it started), he will want Frank Thomas' bat in the lineup at all costs.

Early June interleague game at the Urinal, San Diego and Colorado are a lot less important than Games 3 and 4 of the World Series.

There's no sense risking Frank's ankle in a mid-June interleague game when the Sox already had a decent division lead.

There's no sense trying to protect Frank's ankle by keeping him on the bench in World Series games played in an NL park.

MisterB
07-13-2005, 10:58 AM
I found the box score. (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050710&content_id=1124782&vkey=allstar2005&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb#box) It doesn't look like any Sox prospects played, as far as I can tell.

Chris Young played CF for the U.S. team and went 0-2. Bobby Jenks was named to the team, but obviously didn't play due to being called up.

Iwritecode
07-13-2005, 11:10 AM
Homefield should be earned. There is no more division between AL and NL, hasn't been for years. These teams all play each other. Give it to whoever has the best record.

If every team played every other team the same amount of times, that would make sense. But they don't...

TDog
07-13-2005, 11:59 AM
Think about it. If a series goes 7 games and you're on the road, you're pretty much done. ...
Why is baseball different than other sports? For some reason they feel they have to either take turns with homefield or award it based on some silly get together in midsummer that means nothing. Homefield should be earned. There is no more division between AL and NL, hasn't been for years. These teams all play each other. Give it to whoever has the best record. And the nod goes to a division winner over a Wild Card sneak-in.

Lots of teams have lost game 7 at home. The Red Sox have done it more than once in my lifetime. The White Sox didn't have a chance to win game 7 at home in 1959 because they lost game 6 at home. It is rare when the home team wins every game. But I disagree with your entire premise. Baseball is different from other sports in numerous respects. To begin with, it's the only sport worth watching.

There may not be the division in the leagues that there used to be, with umpires working both leagues and limited interleague play before the All-Star break. But the leagues are distinctly different and play different styles of baseball. They don't even play by the same rules.

St. Louis plays in the softest division in baseball. Some people still believe the Sox play in the softest division in the league, if not baseball. The Cardinals play more than half their games within their own division. The Sox don't have as many teams within their (weak?) division, so they have to play more games against Oakland and California.

Managers have complained that interleague play, with teams within the same division enjoying schedule advantages is unfair, but having a wild card in a league with an unbalanced schedule is inherently unfair.

Comparing the final regular season records between the AL and NL champs to determine who gets the homefield advantage would be more ridiculous than assigning the advantage to the league that wins the All-Star Game..

LVSoxFan
07-13-2005, 12:08 PM
I think thought that the argument that the Sox play in the Comedy Central is expired.

Minnesota, Detroit and Cleveland are hardly crap teams. Even KC wakes up now and then and does things like sweep the Yankees or take a series from Minnesota.

I'll match us up against anybody. Except Oakland.

Soxzilla
07-13-2005, 12:09 PM
:?: :(:

I missed it. I was busy watching this crappy, boring game they showed on Fox. What channel was the great All-Star game on?

Dang. You must've got stuck watching that promotional video for Fantastic Four, Chevrolet, Bad news Bears, <insert 29508239 crappy Fox shows that suck>. The REAL game was on channel 215.

Kidding aside, I was more referring to the first, second and fifth innings. I could have cared less about the other innings.:redneck

TDog
07-13-2005, 01:46 PM
I think thought that the argument that the Sox play in the Comedy Central is expired.

Minnesota, Detroit and Cleveland are hardly crap teams. Even KC wakes up now and then and does things like sweep the Yankees or take a series from Minnesota.

I'll match us up against anybody. Except Oakland.

Maybe the AL Central has four good teams. Some believe the fourth-place team is better on paper than the first-place team. The last place team recently split a four-game series against the second-place team, so how good is anyone? That isn't the point. In baseball, it's all about who you play, and sometimes when you play them.

I am enjoying, for the first time in my life, a White Sox sesaon when they haven't played any team with a better record. I would be very happy to see that continue to nearly Halloween.

But I know the White Sox wouldn't have a 26-5 division record or the league's best record in baseball if they played in the AL West.

SOXfnNlansing
07-13-2005, 02:00 PM
Oct 22nd, Saturday night at the Cell:bandance: game 1:gulp:

Iwritecode
07-13-2005, 02:25 PM
Comparing the final regular season records between the AL and NL champs to determine who gets the homefield advantage would be more ridiculous than assigning the advantage to the league that wins the All-Star Game..

What's worse is the REASON they decided to assign home field advantage to the winner of the AS game.

Because the game ended in a tie 1 time!

This "fix" still doesn't ensure that the game won't end up in a tie again. With baseball's unique rule that once a player leaves the game he can't return and no time clock, it's damn near impossible to ensure the game won't end in a tie. Making the game have "meaning" sure doesn't make the players try any harder than they normally would. I seriously doubt if the guys from the D-Rays, Rockies and Royals really care who has home-field advantage in the WS this year. It should be left as an exibition game for the fans since we are the ones that vote in the starters.

This has been discussed on sports blab radio and I have yet to hear a good idea on how to balance a) getting all the players in the game at some point in time and b) not allowing the game to end in a tie.

If the game isn't decided in 10 innings then have a homerun derby??? :?:

bennyw41
07-13-2005, 02:30 PM
At first I wanted the NL to come back in the 9th so Scotty could get to bat and win the game for us, but then I realized that this would cause Buehrle to not get the win, and I was really torn between what I should do.

I thought you have to go 5 innings to get a win?

Rocklive99
07-13-2005, 02:36 PM

Yeah, that was Sunday, ESPN2 is showing the AAA Allstar game tonight though, don't know if any Sox players are involved.

I agree that the game was a bit dull, the crowd didn't really help, but it wasn't bad because I enjoyed seeing Buerhle and Garland. Buck and McCarver are so bad though, I didn't enjoy the coverage they gave the Sox. No mention of how quick Buerhle works or his average game times or anything like that (didn't do their homework), no props for Ozzie, and not a big look at the White Sox pitching staff, they seemed to focus more on the batters when our pitchers were pitching. I tuned into ESPN Radio on the way home from school(I taped the game) and Schulman and Campbell are so much better

Rocklive99
07-13-2005, 02:37 PM
I thought you have to go 5 innings to get a win?

They change the rule for the ASG

Ben Lang
07-13-2005, 02:39 PM
Garland was starting to worry me with his control problems and he had a high pitch count for one inning, but at least he didn't lose his composure. Kudos to Buehrle for 3 Ks in 2 innings. Maybe he will finally start getting the respect he deserves.

TDog
07-14-2005, 01:37 AM
What's worse is the REASON they decided to assign home field advantage to the winner of the AS game.

Because the game ended in a tie 1 time!

This "fix" still doesn't ensure that the game won't end up in a tie again. With baseball's unique rule that once a player leaves the game he can't return and no time clock, it's damn near impossible to ensure the game won't end in a tie. Making the game have "meaning" sure doesn't make the players try any harder than they normally would. I seriously doubt if the guys from the D-Rays, Rockies and Royals really care who has home-field advantage in the WS this year. It should be left as an exibition game for the fans since we are the ones that vote in the starters.

This has been discussed on sports blab radio and I have yet to hear a good idea on how to balance a) getting all the players in the game at some point in time and b) not allowing the game to end in a tie.

If the game isn't decided in 10 innings then have a homerun derby??? :?:

The reason for the current homefield policy is irrelevant to the argument of whether it would be best to have the team with the best regular-season record awarded homefield in the Series. Alternating between leagues is probably still the best way to do it. Next would come the All-Star Game thing. Way down the list (behind an, ugh, coin toss) would be the team with the best regular season record in their respective and distinct leagues.

Even though I lived in suburban Milwaukee at the time of he most recent (second in the history of the game) All-Star tie, I didn't know about it until the next day. And I didn't really care. Maybe it was the reason that this game tied that bothered people. The teams essentially didn't want to play anymore.

Just because major league baseball hasn't cheapened itself by allowing free substitution doesn't mean the teams have to tie if they play deep into extra innings. Each team has a big roster and holds players back.

I didn't care about the 2002 ASG. I paid attention to the 2005 ASG because of what was at stake. Despite everything the commissioner has done wrong, at least he has me checking for the ASG score.

TDog
07-18-2005, 12:36 PM
I came across the following from this weekend's Dallas Morning News in its weekly MLB rankings.

RANKINGS
LHP Mark Buehrle and RHP Jon Garland helped the White Sox get home-field advantage in the World Series by combing for three scoreless innings in the All-Star Game.
The White Sox front office could take the next step by trading for a starting pitcher. The White Sox are concerned about RHP Orlando “El Duque” Hernandez, on the disabled list because of shoulder soreness for the second time this season.
Any deal probably would include a piece from the talented outfield at Double-A Birmingham of the Southern League. Center fielder Chris Young, of Bellaire, Texas, is the most appealing prospect.
1. White Sox ...

The baseball writer there has had the White Sox ranked first for months.