PDA

View Full Version : HE GONE! Catching on....

Jurr
07-12-2005, 07:59 PM
I'll tell you what..I think old Hawk's got himself a classic catch phrase going. I can't believe how many people love the phrase, "HE GONE!"

I was sitting at a local watering hole in Memphis with a couple of friends of mine in sports radio. They're the biggest names in Memphis sports radio, and they're part of the new ESPN station here. They were telling me about how much they love hearing Hawk make that call, and they wanted me to get them a couple of the shirts that they sell outside of the park.

Chris Vernon, one of the guys, just got back from Bristol, where he had some training with the ESPN radio big dogs. Anyway, he said that the guys around the offices up there (including some of the radio guys like Cowherd and others) use it all of the time in different situations. Weird, huh?

It's just funny how Hawk's little catch phrases take a life of their own, even on a national level. And I've always heard he was a boring, long winded moron.

batmanZoSo
07-12-2005, 08:10 PM
Hawk rules. Any questions?

RallyBowl
07-12-2005, 09:04 PM
overheard at the as game, from joe buck:

"Mercy!"

illinibk
07-12-2005, 09:41 PM
the lesson from all of this: Hawkisms are applicable to any and all situations. Example: you are driving, and the light has been green for a long time. You will be saying, "stay green, stay green! It will, thank you very much." Or, "Stay green, stay green! It won't. I just missed it. Mercy"

BeviBall!
07-12-2005, 10:19 PM
Or when you see one of Howard Stern's Buttafaces... "right size, wrong shape."

doublem23
07-12-2005, 10:20 PM
the lesson from all of this: Hawkisms are applicable to any and all situations. Example: you are driving, and the light has been green for a long time. You will be saying, "stay green, stay green! It will, thank you very much." Or, "Stay green, stay green! It won't. I just missed it. Mercy"

:rolling:

The funniest thing about this post is that I find myself doing that all the time, too. At work, I obviously can't drop an f-bomb when something goes wrong (and something always goes wrong with the Gap, Inc.), so I find myself saying "Mercy!" quite a bit.

Chips
07-12-2005, 10:33 PM
Ball 4 Base Hit is my favorite.

Fake Chet Lemon
07-12-2005, 10:46 PM
I've even have the Cubs and Twins fans I work with using HE GONE for all the appropriate situations at work. They love it, even they guys who say they don't like Hawk. When someone gets fired HE GONE gets a workout in our hallways!

During the All-Star game I heard CAN OF CORN too. I think I was listening to the radio broadcast at the time.

GAS, HE GONE needs to stay in the mix as well.

GiveMeSox
07-12-2005, 10:47 PM
I hear this all the time on ESPN when they are doing highlights, Carl Raveich does it all the time and guys on SC and ESPNEWS do it all the time. I also hear it non baseball situations. Like when someone gets knocked out in our poker game someone always goes HE GONE!!!

DC Sox Fan
07-12-2005, 10:57 PM
I **** you not... I saw a license plate out here on Friday... VIRGINIA plates with White Sox license plate holder. The custom plates said:

"HEGAWN"

****in' awesome!!!!

Chips
07-12-2005, 11:02 PM
The Chimp used He Gone last year when someone struck out and ended the game. I think it was Thomas. Anyways I was pissed.

Milw
07-12-2005, 11:15 PM
I **** you not... I saw a license plate out here on Friday... VIRGINIA plates with White Sox license plate holder. The custom plates said:

"HEGAWN"

****in' awesome!!!!
VIRGINIA ... Yes.

They got my money in Virginia.

JermaineDye05
07-13-2005, 12:26 AM
they say he gone all the time on around the horn, whenever some1 gets cut they just go "He Gone!"

Sad
07-13-2005, 06:52 AM

"Mercy!"

I picked up on that one also...

SpringfldFan
07-13-2005, 07:17 AM
Before "he gawn" my favorite hawkism was "your what hurts?". I don't hear him use it as much anymore it would be his reply when someone would say something he felt was ridiculous. I still use it here at the office and my co-workers just look at me with a "***" expression.

SFF

rdwj
07-13-2005, 07:57 AM
...Hawkisms are applicable to any and all situations.

When I put my daughter into her car seat - she usually hears, and now says, "Sit back, relax and strap it down".

I have a friend, who also has children, that punishes his kids by making them sit in a "time-out chair". He Hawked it up and started telling his kids to "Grab some bench".

SoxFanTillDeath
07-13-2005, 08:40 AM
"I luuuuuuuuuuuuv Hawkisms!"

Sad
07-13-2005, 08:43 AM
also-
last nite before the game it was either at the end of the red carpet show on FSN or perhaps the beginning of the FOX broadcast one of the announcers said:

sit back, relax...

but left off strap it down:rolleyes:

Deuce
07-13-2005, 08:49 AM
I'm sure the Cubs annoucers will steal some of our phrases and Cubs fans will spend the next twenty years talking about they originated in Wrigley Field. :angry:

Sxy Mofo
07-13-2005, 08:54 AM

Such a good idea.

I'm going to see how many situations I can fit hawkisms into my life.

Friend gets shot down trying to hit on a broad: "and he'll grab some bench"

Frater Perdurabo
07-13-2005, 09:17 AM
When I put my daughter into her car seat - she usually hears, and now says, "Sit back, relax and strap it down".

I have a friend, who also has children, that punishes his kids by making them sit in a "time-out chair". He Hawked it up and started telling his kids to "Grab some bench".

:rolling: That's an incredible level of genius! :bandance:

DenverSock
07-13-2005, 10:24 AM
'Grab some bench' goes way, way, back, before my birth and isn't original to Hawk. See some old sports movies. Posted only for information.

Pilgrim
07-13-2005, 10:55 AM

"HEGAWN"

****in' awesome!!!!

Could not believe it.

rdwj
07-13-2005, 11:00 AM
'Grab some bench' goes way, way, back, before my birth and isn't original to Hawk. See some old sports movies. Posted only for information.

Ya, tha can be said of Can of Corn or some of his other phrases too, but I still count it as a Hawkism.

rmusacch
07-13-2005, 11:33 AM
I'll tell you what..I think old Hawk's got himself a classic catch phrase going. I can't believe how many people love the phrase, "HE GONE!"

I was sitting at a local watering hole in Memphis with a couple of friends of mine in sports radio. They're the biggest names in Memphis sports radio, and they're part of the new ESPN station here. They were telling me about how much they love hearing Hawk make that call, and they wanted me to get them a couple of the shirts that they sell outside of the park.

Chris Vernon, one of the guys, just got back from Bristol, where he had some training with the ESPN radio big dogs. Anyway, he said that the guys around the offices up there (including some of the radio guys like Cowherd and others) use it all of the time in different situations. Weird, huh?

It's just funny how Hawk's little catch phrases take a life of their own, even on a national level. And I've always heard he was a boring, long winded moron.

Was the other guy Dave Voloshin?

Vestigio
07-13-2005, 11:36 AM
I was watching the finale of the Cubs/Marlins series and I heard Marlins fans shouting "HE GONE!" when the Cubs were up to bat...

jackbrohamer
07-13-2005, 11:42 AM
Someone on ESPN's Baseball Tonight a couple of days ago referred to a bloop single as a "duck snort." I don't know if Hawk made that one up but I'd never heard anyone else say it before

Sxy Mofo
07-13-2005, 11:51 AM
Someone on ESPN's Baseball Tonight a couple of days ago referred to a bloop single as a "duck snort." I don't know if Hawk made that one up but I'd never heard anyone else say it before

I dont' believe hawk originated that one, but he is the one who keeps all these old baseball terms current.

BiggWilli
07-13-2005, 12:06 PM
Hawk is pulling through again sorry about the thread i made i didnt see this one

dividedsk717
07-13-2005, 12:14 PM
Such a good idea.

I'm going to see how many situations I can fit hawkisms into my life.

Friend gets shot down trying to hit on a broad: "and he'll grab some bench"

My wife and I use the "yes!" Hawkism in our lives now. Examples:

"Let's go get ice cream. Ice cream ... yes!"

"There's cold beer in the fridge? Cold beer ... yes!"

"I get to leave work early today. Leaving work early ... yes!"

It's applicable anywhere. It pretty much rules. :gulp:

LVSoxFan
07-13-2005, 12:15 PM
"He gone" is obviously classic but still my all time favorite is...

You can put it on the booooooooooooooard..... yessssssssssss!

That absolutely rules. And I love it when DJ chimes in for the "yes!" part.

AaronsAmigos
07-13-2005, 12:16 PM
you notice that whenever they have white sox highlights and hawk says "you can put it on the board" the sportscasters turn it up so you can hear it

BiggWilli
07-13-2005, 12:18 PM
you notice that whenever they have white sox highlights and hawk says "you can put it on the board" the sportscasters turn it up so you can hear it

thats the best when it blasts surround sound sometimes the best things are free

bartmanisgod
07-13-2005, 01:03 PM
thats the best when it blasts surround sound sometimes the best things are free

Biggwilli you are my new favorite poster around here. I don't know or why you would add "the best things are free" to the end of that post, because it seems pretty irrelevant, but you did and it made me laugh.

Erik The Red
07-13-2005, 02:09 PM
:threadrules:

:smile:

Foulke You
07-13-2005, 02:21 PM
Did anyone catch the headline the Sun Times used to describe 15 year old Michell Wie's (Pronounced "Wee") elimination from that golf tournament? The headline read: "Wie Gone"

LVSoxFan
07-13-2005, 02:23 PM
Yes I did notice that whenever local news shows highlights you can always hear the "You can put it on the boooooooard, YES!"

Hey, it's totally classic. Like Caray's "Holy Cow" and if anybody remembers, Jack Brickhouse's "Hey hey!"

I have to admit I laugh out loud though when they'll say something like "To all those fine folks out at Murray's Carpet Kindgom in Rosemont. Murray's carpet? Yes."

That is almost like something out of Best in Show.

Sxy Mofo
07-13-2005, 03:38 PM
If i'm on a plane and the pilot ever advises me to "sit back, relax and strap it down or strap it up, but never strap it on" I will never fly on another airline.

hsnterprize
07-13-2005, 03:39 PM
:rolling: That's an incredible level of genius! :bandance:Not as much "genius" as my 3-year-old being able to clearly say, "You can put it on the boooooooooooooooooard...YES!!!!!!!" Everytime I hear it, I laugh hysterically?

And guess what...my soon-to-be 2-year-old is starting to pick up on it, too.

hsnterprize
07-13-2005, 03:46 PM
With "Hawkisms" being so "cool" now, let's think...how long ago were people complaining about the "lack of sophisitication" phrases like "grab some bench", "he gawn", and "you can put it on the board, yes!!!"? It seemed like not to long ago, people who would say such things were either looked at funny, or laughed at. Now, they're starting to become "hip", "cool", and "in".

And the funny part is...if these phrases were a consistent part of the Cubs' broadcast booth, there would have been NO persecution about them. You could count on "he gawn" to be on nearly the same pedestal as "hey hey", or "holy cow (even though Harry wasn't the only broadcaster to use such phrase...former Yankees player and broadcaster Phil Rizutto said it as well). That's why I love hearing the Hawk...he's totally White Sox-oriented, and you can't take that away from him or us fans.

HawkDJ
07-13-2005, 03:50 PM
Hawkisms are INCREDIBLY useful when playing tennis for obvious reasons. When you hit a ball headed for the boundary line: "Stay fair! Stay fair! It will!" When your opponent lobs a ball over your head: "Stretch! Stretch! Get back there!"

MikeKreevich
07-13-2005, 10:11 PM
I'm pretty sure Hawk cleaned up Duck Fart for television with his Duck Snort. My favorite Hawkism is "Bow Your Neck". It is so country I love it.

Norberto7
07-13-2005, 10:53 PM
Ken "The Hawk" Harrelson Spelling Bee

:hawk
"Hangwithum"

"Can you use it in a sentence please?"

"And there's a shot off the bat of Konerko...and what a grab by Chavez! Mercy! A hangwithum for Paulie."

"H...A...N...G...W...I...T...H...U...M...B...Hangwi thumb."

"He gone!"

ChiSox14305635
07-13-2005, 11:21 PM
Listening to the HR Derby on Monday on ESPN Radio, when Carlos Lee was batting, Pasquarelli was interviewing Johan Santana, and after he was done, Lee hit a bomb to left, & Pasquarelli on cue said, "You can put it on the booooard, YES!". Dan Shulman said "Thanks Hawk".

rdwj
07-14-2005, 07:19 AM
Not as much "genius" as my 3-year-old being able to clearly say, "You can put it on the boooooooooooooooooard...YES!!!!!!!" Everytime I hear it, I laugh hysterically?

And guess what...my soon-to-be 2-year-old is starting to pick up on it, too.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one that has my kids using Hawkisms

Nothing funnier than a little kid reciting the home run call

boiler up
07-14-2005, 10:10 AM

"Mercy!"

yea how bout that

whitesoxfan
07-14-2005, 10:18 AM
i use Hawkism's more in real life then i do during a baseball game :D: How can you not love Hawk?

redOzone
07-15-2005, 03:15 AM
i use Hawkism's more in real life then i do during a baseball game :D: How can you not love Hawk?

Agreed

alohafri
07-16-2005, 10:58 AM
A Cubbie fan friend of mine actually said that "He gone" is "demeaning and degrading", because someone was using it against his beloved sCrUBs at the Cell during the Sunday loss to Jesus Prior. Of course, that didn't stop him from saying it when Jesus struck our guys out.

I am becoming more and more convinced that sCrUB fans have the thinnest skin in the world.

chisoxfan79
07-16-2005, 11:04 AM
they say he gone all the time on around the horn, whenever some1 gets cut they just go "He Gone!" I only here them say that when Marriotti gets eliminated.

Fake Chet Lemon
07-16-2005, 08:03 PM
Every time I answer my phone at work for an internal call I answer it "Yes". Not with the Hawk inflection, I keep it professional, but it's a (admittedly) weird salute I do with the Hawk in mind. I can't believe I just admitted that.

MIgrenade
07-16-2005, 08:10 PM
I always like to say, "Gas!" But not necessarily when a fastball is thrown.

hempsox
07-16-2005, 09:47 PM

LMAO.

Can I nominate this for post of the week?

Can I use this as my sig???

SOXintheBURGH
07-16-2005, 11:24 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong.. but isn't "He Gawn!" derived from -

"Gaaassssssss! He's Gone! Grab some bench!"

Ol Aches & Pains
07-17-2005, 12:10 PM
I dont' believe hawk originated that one, but he is the one who keeps all these old baseball terms current.

My wife refers to Hawk as "Duck Snort", thinks he's hysterical.

I was watching a game a week or so ago while I was reading, so I was only half paying attention, but I could swear I heard DJ say "This game's not rocket surgery". Anybody else hear that?

HawkDJ
07-17-2005, 02:55 PM
I was watching a game a week or so ago while I was reading, so I was only half paying attention, but I could swear I heard DJ say "This game's not rocket surgery". Anybody else hear that?

Yeah, they played that clip on ESPN Radio a few times.

TimoandAaron
07-19-2005, 11:12 PM
it is really easy to use "hawkisms" in golf. When a shot might make the green......."GET UP BALL, STRETCH..................YES, or DAMMIT whichever word is needed.

If a ball is heading for the rough/bunker/water,..........."STAY FAIR, STAY FAIR.....................IT WILL,, or dadgumit!

on a much needed put........... C'MON BALL......C'MON BALL...................YES or ****.

big drive that gets into the rough........ RIGHT SIZE WRONG SHAPE!:tongue:

illinibk
07-19-2005, 11:34 PM
it is really easy to use "hawkisms" in golf. When a shot might make the green......."GET UP BALL, STRETCH..................YES, or DAMMIT whichever word is needed.

If a ball is heading for the rough/bunker/water,..........."STAY FAIR, STAY FAIR.....................IT WILL,, or dadgumit!

on a much needed put........... C'MON BALL......C'MON BALL...................YES or ****.

big drive that gets into the rough........ RIGHT SIZE WRONG SHAPE!:tongue:
Or when someone in your foursome can't get it past the ladies tees, "You just missed it. Mercy!"

Or when you have a great shot that ends up in the sand/water, "That's a hang withem right there"

Jerome
07-19-2005, 11:42 PM
I don't really like Hawk as a PBP announce, but I love the fact way Hawkisms are used in daily life.

ChiSoxPatF
07-20-2005, 02:23 PM
I'm suprised that everyoe is missing the all-time, beyond-a-doubt greatest Hawkism: You can put it on the booooarrdd, YES!

I can hardly recall a homerun hit by the White Sox in my lifetime that didn't make at least one person around me say that: whether your with family, friends, or even just sitting around the apartment, someone shouts the Hawkism.

Heck, I'm stuck in Indianapolis for the summer so I can only listen to Rooney and Farmer for every Sox game - every once in awhile I need to go to whitesox.com and listen to a homerun highlight just to get my fix of Hawk:wired: .

mr_genius
07-20-2005, 02:38 PM

or when goin threw the yellow; "Stretch!"

mccoydp
07-20-2005, 03:58 PM
Or when WSJ got banned: "WSJ, he gawn!"