PDA

View Full Version : All Star Game In Pittsburgh then S.F.?

RavenswoodFan
07-12-2005, 07:17 PM
I was watching Sports Center tonight and they mentioned that the All Star game will be in Pittburgh next year followed by S.F.. Somthing was said about how Bud was going to fix the scheduling snafu. How did this happen?:o: 2 years in a row at a NL park. Doesn't this give the NL an advantage for the WS?
Maybe they needed to help the NL along...:smile:

StepsInSC
07-12-2005, 07:34 PM
Bud is trying to get all the new parks a chance to host the ASG....Pitt just had one 11 years ago.

But I'm not complaining. :D:

Chips
07-12-2005, 07:35 PM
Bud is trying to get all the new parks a chance to host the ASG....Pitt just had one 11 years ago.

But I'm not complaining. :D:

How about the Cell, afterall it is much different than it was in 2003.

chisoxfan64
07-12-2005, 07:53 PM
I hope we never have to suffer through another one at the Urinal.

Chips
07-12-2005, 07:54 PM

Amen to that.

Lip Man 1
07-12-2005, 08:59 PM
This is why some were saying there is a kernel of truth in the reports about massive re-alignment in the next few years. If there are no longer any American or National Leagues (as they currently exist) then whoever hosts the All Farce Popularity Contest Game doesn't matter.

Lip

jake27
07-12-2005, 10:26 PM
its an all star game, i dont think home field has much of a factor on it at all.

LuvSox
07-12-2005, 11:27 PM
All Star game to rotate again in 2008

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allstar05/news/story?id=2106445

Chips
07-12-2005, 11:49 PM
its an all star game, i dont think home field has much of a factor on it at all.

No it doesn't.

Whitesox029
07-13-2005, 01:41 AM
All Star game to rotate again in 2008

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allstar05/news/story?id=2106445
Let's start taking bets. I say Minneapolis. They won't have had one in 23 years (1985) and their new park will likely be ready in '08.

Griffey, Jr., Mussina, Ivan Rodriguez or Frank Thomas could next year become the only player[s] ever to appear in two separate all-star games in the same city (Pittsburgh, 1994).

Optipessimism
07-13-2005, 04:06 AM
This is why some were saying there is a kernel of truth in the reports about massive re-alignment in the next few years. If there are no longer any American or National Leagues (as they currently exist) then whoever hosts the All Farce Popularity Contest Game doesn't matter.

Lip

I hope to God there is no truth to that.

How come nobody can make minor changes anymore? Why does everything with these idiots have to be huge alterations?

My only compaint is about interleague, where I feel that it should either be set up so that each division plays itself equally (and with 5 teams in each division) or else completely abolished altogether.

Something tells me to be worried.

Baby Fisk
07-13-2005, 07:51 AM
The new improved Rogers Centre might make a bid for 2008. linky (http://tsn.ca/mlb/news_story.asp?id=130258)The all-star game is headed back to the American League in 2008, and the Toronto Blue Jays are thinking about making a run at it.

The Blue Jays last hosted the all-star game on July 9, 1991, a 4-2 win for the AL. But with the renovations the club is making to its Rogers Centre home, president Paul Godfrey believes the time is right for a return to Toronto.

''I am seriously considering bidding for 2008, as it would fit in with the updates of the Rogers Centre,'' said Godfrey.

Revolution29
07-13-2005, 07:59 AM
The article in the cubune this morning mentioned that it would likely be at Yankee Stadium or, worse, Tampa Bay......please God no!!!!

Baby Fisk
07-13-2005, 08:04 AM
The article in the cubune this morning mentioned that it would likely be at Yankee Stadium or, worse, Tampa Bay......please God no!!!!Hey, welcome aboard! :cheers:

Yankee Stadium makes sense -- a farewell ASG before they move out. Tampa may have folded or moved by 2008; stranger things have happened.

Hitmen77
07-13-2005, 08:09 AM

It'll be a while. The next unannounced NL game will be in '09. At that point, new parks in San Diego, St. Louis, and Washington will have not yet hosted the game. So, that takes us out to 2017. At that point perhaps the Mets will have a new stadium too and would be in line to host. Also by then the Marlins will either have a new stadium or will be playing in another city. So, I'm guessing that the Urinal won't be in line for another ASG until 2021. By then, maybe the pro-Cub hype/Wrigley love affair will have subsided and we won't have to hear about how the ASG is "returning to Chicago" for the first time since 1990. Better yet, maybe by 2021, Wrigley will be torn down.

Viva Medias B's
07-13-2005, 08:13 AM
I think we know where the 2033 All Star Game will be.

Hitmen77
07-13-2005, 08:20 AM
The article in the cubune this morning mentioned that it would likely be at Yankee Stadium or, worse, Tampa Bay......please God no!!!!

Yankee Stadium hasn't hosted since '77, so it would be reasonable to expect them to get another ASG soon. Tampa Bay has (obviously) never hosted. I wonder if the league would give them the ASG with them playing in their current crappy dome?

Also, K.C. hasn't hosted since '73. They have a nice stadium - I wonder if they'd be considered again?

Whitesox029
07-14-2005, 10:39 PM
Again, the Twins are likely to have a new place by '08, and they haven't hosted since '85. Pending the completion of that stadium, I would say it's going to be there.

Brian26
07-14-2005, 10:45 PM
Again, the Twins are likely to have a new place by '08, and they haven't hosted since '85. Pending the completion of that stadium, I would say it's going to be there.

No chance. Even if they get the Stadium built by April 1, 2007 (which is nearly impossible since they haven't even broken ground yet as far as I know), they would never get to host the ASG in the first year of the stadium's operations. Same holds true for 2008. They might get one 4 or 5 years down the line from the opening of the new park.

Yankee Stadium seems like the obvious choice. KC is actually first in line, but they might be one of those franchises (like the Mets) that actually don't want to host and have turned down bid invitations in the past.

TheOtherGreat23
07-15-2005, 01:52 AM
No chance. Even if they get the Stadium built by April 1, 2007 (which is nearly impossible since they haven't even broken ground yet as far as I know), they would never get to host the ASG in the first year of the stadium's operations. Same holds true for 2008. They might get one 4 or 5 years down the line from the opening of the new park.

Yankee Stadium seems like the obvious choice. KC is actually first in line, but they might be one of those franchises (like the Mets) that actually don't want to host and have turned down bid invitations in the past.

Sorry, Brian, but what basis do you have for that claim? Shea, Busch, Riverfront, and Royals Stadium all held All-Star games in their first seasons, while Skydome, Miller Park and Camden Yards had an All-Star game by their second year. I believe the other stadia were held back because of the queue for new ballparks that was in the AL up until this year and will be in the NL for another decade.

That said, I agree that 2008 is either in NY or KC, and since a new stadium is coming to the Bronx, they will probably want to showcase that in 2010. Kansas City hasn't hosted since '73, so that is my guess.

Having a game at the Thunderdome would be hilarious. I would love to see all the Yankee and Red Sox fans there. And it would never happen. I also like how an ASG may never be in Miami (especially considering that will be out west in a few years).

chisoxmike
07-17-2005, 05:42 PM

I would bet on Tampa Bay for 2008, I thought I heard something about it after Pittsberg was announced.