PDA

View Full Version : World Baseball Classic... Thoughts?

GregoryEtc
07-12-2005, 07:11 PM
What are everyones thoughts on the upcoming "world cup" of baseball?

From ESPN.com:
The 16-nation, 18-day event, called the World Baseball Classic, opens March 3 in Tokyo or Taiwan, where Group A will include Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and China. The United States will be in Group B, which starts play March 8 along with the other groups and will be based in the United States.

Cuba, Puerto Rico, Panama and the Netherlands are in Group C, which will be in Latin America, and the Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Australia and Italy are in Group D, which will be based in Florida.

NonetheLoaiza
07-12-2005, 07:22 PM
I'm not planning my schedule around it, by any means, but I'll watch it. I love watching baseball, and to see other countries' players and teams is a pretty unique experience. I know it happens every four years in the Olympics, but this should be interesting as well.

Chips
07-12-2005, 07:22 PM
It not really going to interest me. It sounds like a bunch of All-Star teams made up by nationality. I have no interest in watching this or following this. Boo to this idea.

Ol' No. 2
07-12-2005, 07:28 PM
I'll probably give it a chance. What I can't figure out is how the pitching is going to work. No pitchers are stretched out to go more than a couple of innings that soon. There isn't really going to be a starting rotation...the pitching staff is going to be one big bullpen.

Chips
07-12-2005, 07:31 PM
I'll probably give it a chance. What I can't figure out is how the pitching is going to work. No pitchers are stretched out to go more than a couple of innings that soon. There isn't really going to be a starting rotation...the pitching staff is going to be one big bullpen.

I never even thought of that. I change my vote to I HATE this idea. It is a bad idea.

Frater Perdurabo
07-12-2005, 08:30 PM
While the idea itself isn't bad, I don't like the idea of any Sox players running the risk of getting injured playing in this tournament. They are playing deep into October after all, and I don't want anything to inhibit them repeating as World Series champs.

:supernana:

SoxEd
07-12-2005, 08:57 PM
I'm not planning my schedule around it, by any means, but I'll watch it. I love watching baseball, and to see other countries' players and teams is a pretty unique experience.

As someone who lives 'on the wrong side of the pond', I'll be very interested to see a Baseball World Cup, although the level of competition will clearly not be up to MLB standards (kinda like the UEFA Champions' League/World Cup in Soccer).

Hopefully it'll last long enough for Team GB to qualify for a future tournament (I'm not holding my breath).

I know it happens every four years in the Olympics, but this should be interesting as well.

Not any more, it won't...

The IOC just axed Baseball and Softball from Olympic competition, effective from the games in London in 2012 (and they neglected to replace the two sports with anything else either, thereby saving 50 million for, ahem, 'other IOC projects') :angry:.

This has p'd me right off, as I was looking forward to seeing decent quality live baseball in my own country.
Guess I'll have to go to Beijing in 2008 instead.

Hopefully, enough people will email the IOC via their website (http://www.olympic.org) and get them to reconsider.

Then again, Baseball obviously isn't a proper Sport, like, say, Synchronised Swimming.

:angry:

Kroozah
07-12-2005, 11:56 PM
nice idea, until someone gets hurt playing in this tourney.

SomebodyToldMe
07-13-2005, 12:03 AM
I love the idea. I'm gonna love seeing the Puerto Rican and Dominican teams.

chitownhawkfan
07-13-2005, 01:55 AM
Great idea, if it could produce half the excitement of the World Cup of Soccer it will be a huge success. I cant wait, I know the pitching will be a little goofy but the Olympics didnt feature the best players. This will.

:tool
You know I had to eventually get something else right besides the Wild Card