PDA

View Full Version : St Louis fans think White Sox will win the pennant

Fenway
07-12-2005, 06:33 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/pollq.nsf/Questions/D3456A2851C8D7B08625703B0066435F?opendocument
http://images.stltoday.com/stltoday/images/sidenav/pop_top_left_stltoday.gif
Who do you think will win the AL championship?

43%
White Sox

22%
Red Sox

17%
Angels

3%
Twins

3%
Orioles

1%
Rangers

11%
Yankees

VeeckAsInWreck
07-12-2005, 06:51 PM
Fans in St. Louis are smart. However, it's only a matter of time before we all get blamed for voting too many times on this poll! :tongue:

Chips
07-12-2005, 07:09 PM
I think we will too, but I think Atlanta will win the NL pennant. But I would rather see St. Louis.

batmanZoSo
07-12-2005, 08:06 PM
Although I agree with them, you gotta think close proximity and more than a couple White Sox fans voted on that poll. I'm sure a poll taken out of the midwest would have any team but us up there.

Frater Perdurabo
07-12-2005, 08:40 PM
How great would an I-55 Series be?

:supernana:

GoSox2K3
07-12-2005, 08:49 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/pollq.nsf/Questions/D3456A2851C8D7B08625703B0066435F?opendocument
http://images.stltoday.com/stltoday/images/sidenav/pop_top_left_stltoday.gif
Who do you think will win the AL championship?

43%
White Sox...

I guess that clinches it for us!

SoxSpeed22
07-12-2005, 08:54 PM
How great would an I-55 Series be?

:supernana:The Sox/Cards Alliance coming together in October, Cub fans would be left with a HARD choice and we'd have all the fun!

chisoxfan64
07-12-2005, 08:55 PM
I`ve always said Cardinals fans are smart baseball people.

Lip Man 1
07-12-2005, 09:47 PM
The story line would be Tony LaRussa coming back to Chicago. Memories of his days with the Sox would be plentiful and that wouldn't be a bad thing!

Lip

gosox3072
07-12-2005, 11:15 PM
In my MVP season i played new york, boston, then atlanta.........maybe an omen?

Fake Chet Lemon
07-13-2005, 12:00 AM
The story line would be Tony LaRussa coming back to Chicago. Memories of his days with the Sox would be plentiful and that wouldn't be a bad thing!

Lip

We could find out who the best WINNING UGLY manager really is.

Lip Man 1
07-13-2005, 03:02 AM
This matchup should have happened in either 1964 or 1967.

Lip

Madvora
07-13-2005, 08:33 AM
Well, it should be this way. Obviously, the team that's had the best record in all of baseball should be considered to win the pennant.

SOXSINCE'70
07-13-2005, 10:32 AM
I think we all know this,but i'll bring up a quote from
Scott Podsednik.He was asked at the ASG about the Sox'
9 game lead going into the second half:

"There's still a lot of baseball to be played.
We haven't won anything yet".

But a WS berth is a nice thought.:cool:

Sxy Mofo
07-13-2005, 10:36 AM
The Sox/Cards Alliance coming together in October, Cub fans would be left with a HARD choice and we'd have all the fun!

I feel their pain. I'd be physically sick if the WS was ever the twins/cubs.

SOXSINCE'70
07-13-2005, 10:41 AM
I feel their pain. I'd be physically sick if the WS was ever the twins/cubs.

With all my brother in law's pro-sCrUBbie family members,
i'd never live it down.Gawd,what an awful WS that would be for
White Sox fans.:angry: :angry:
:woo-woo"I'm (WOO) Missing (WOO)!! Don't (WOO) Try(WOO)
To Find Me till the sCrUBS make the WS(WOO)!!:rolleyes:

:chunks

BiggWilli
07-13-2005, 01:05 PM
hah i feel kind of bad for them o well more sox pride

SOXPHILE
07-13-2005, 02:29 PM
This matchup should have happened in either 1964 or 1967.

Lip

I've always thought that too. Although it was a few years before I was born, my dad told me that in 1964, the Sox trailed the Yankees by 1 game, with 10 games left in the regular season. The Sox won all 10 games....but so did the Yankees.

Lip Man 1
07-13-2005, 02:38 PM
Not true. The Sox won their final nine games of the 64 season however with ten games left the Sox were 3 1/2 behind the Yankees.

New York went 6-4 in their final ten games however that was the end of a stretch where they won 30 of 41 games starting on August 22nd including an 11 game winning streak starting on September 16th...THAT's where they basically won the pennant.

Lip

SOXPHILE
07-13-2005, 02:53 PM
O.K. Thanks for clarifying Lip ! :thumbsup:

On a side note, ever notice how when the Sox have a season(s) like that, we generally just say things like "That sucks", or "Oooh, so close. Too bad". Then we move on. Yet, the fans and ownership of the team 8 miles north continue to bring up 1969 over and over again, dragging out the players, having reunions, "1969 Cubs alumni fantasy camps", etc., while constantly moaning about black cats, Don Young, the Mets. That team gets referenced so much you'd think they'd actually won something, or were unjustly stripped of a World Series championship.

Foulke You
07-13-2005, 03:29 PM
I think we will too, but I think Atlanta will win the NL pennant. But I would rather see St. Louis.
Assuming they get in again, Atlanta will do their standard bow out in the 1st round as they always do. You can bank on it.

A_ROW33
07-13-2005, 03:48 PM
The Sox/Cards Alliance coming together in October, Cub fans would be left with a HARD choice and we'd have all the fun!

Because Cubs fans care so much about baseball. They would be completely confused and devistated by such a matchup and not be able to go about any of their normal activities like public urination.

hsnterprize
07-13-2005, 04:55 PM
I still remember last year when BBTN was in St. Louis before a Cards' game. They were showing highlights of the Sox earlier that day, and the Cards' fans were CHEERING. I wrote on their fansite message board (http://www.cardsclubhouse.com)that we Sox fans appreciated the support.

In fact, I had an interesting experience with a Cardinals fan not too long ago. While the Cubs were getting all the hype in 2004, I see a man walking into the building where I worked, and after he said hello, he asked me how I thought "my Cubbies" were doing. They were in full late-season swoon back then, so I told him, "It doesn't bother me they're losing...I'm a White Sox fan." After some chatter about WSI and all-things-anti-Cub, we laughed, hi-fived, shared an embrace, and I wished his Cards the best the rest of the season. Turned out he's originally from St. Louis, and he knows that not everyone in Chicago bleeds Cubbie-blue (or Cubbie-blech!!!!!)

MsSoxVixen22
07-13-2005, 05:11 PM
Because Cubs fans care so much about baseball. They would be completely confused and devistated by such a matchup and not be able to go about any of their normal activities like public urination.

Well said! :roflmao:

SOXSINCE'70
07-13-2005, 06:01 PM
New York went 6-4 in their final ten games however that was the end of a stretch where they won 30 of 41 games starting on August 22nd including an 11 game winning streak starting on September 16th...THAT's where they basically won the pennant.

Lip

Then,alcohol,old age and a myriad of injuries began to
catch up with Mickey Mantle.:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

AND WHITE SOX FANS LOVED THE YANKS' 12 YEAR ABSCENCE FROM THE WS.
:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Hangar18
07-13-2005, 07:58 PM

Lip

If the SOX played the Cardinals in the World Series, the Chicago Media
would woefully wonder what this town wouldve been like had the Cubs made it.
There would be stories from imbecile Ronny Wickers and how he wouldve handled a cub series to even alleged broadcaster and curmudgeonly Ron Santo would be asked to weigh in. not to be outdone, ESPN would run a Poll asking who Fans think shouldve been in the Series SOX vs Cardinals or
RedSox vs Cubs. Mike and Mike would then talk about how "fans" just arent happy with a White SOX team in the playoffs. The SunTimes would run a daily report on a "Simulated" world series, putting a super computer to the task of playing a Virtual WOrld Series, with the daily RAGS in this town publishing the "results". Cub fans would be crying in their "Virtual" beers
as they fall to the virtual "champ" REDSOX.

Meanwhile, The SOX would go up 3 games to 1 in the real series .....
and the Front covers of the Cubune? "DALEY SAYS YES TO SMOKING BAN"

ALL that being predicted, and knowing we WONT get the same coverage that the huge Blue Corporation will make for themselves if it were them,
we'll still have a Championship and they wont :wink:

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-13-2005, 08:40 PM
When I was in Detroit briefly today, I grabbed a copy of the Detroit Free Press. Mitch Albom made a comment that the WS would possibly be hoested in NY, Boston, or Chicago.

USA Today also had a nice article about the AL Central - and how the Wildcard and WS might have to run through it.....under the radar anymore??

bigfoot
07-13-2005, 10:29 PM
If the SOX played the Cardinals in the World Series, the Chicago Media
would woefully wonder what this town wouldve been like had the Cubs made it.
There would be stories from imbecile Ronny Wickers and how he wouldve handled a cub series to even alleged broadcaster and curmudgeonly Ron Santo would be asked to weigh in. not to be outdone, ESPN would run a Poll asking who Fans think shouldve been in the Series SOX vs Cardinals or
RedSox vs Cubs. Mike and Mike would then talk about how "fans" just arent happy with a White SOX team in the playoffs. The SunTimes would run a daily report on a "Simulated" world series, putting a super computer to the task of playing a Virtual WOrld Series, with the daily RAGS in this town publishing the "results". Cub fans would be crying in their "Virtual" beers
as they fall to the virtual "champ" REDSOX.

Meanwhile, The SOX would go up 3 games to 1 in the real series .....
and the Front covers of the Cubune? "DALEY SAYS YES TO SMOKING BAN"
:wink:
or.....
Lovie's Bears hoping to stop losing streak at Detroit