PDA

View Full Version : Spoken like a typical Yankee

cleanwsox
07-12-2005, 04:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2106141

I don't mind if you aren't interested in playing, but don't diss something that can have a positive aspect to the game of baseball. I'm sure the US has plenty of outfielders that will be willing to play so I could care less if Sheffield wants to play or not.

chitownhawkfan
07-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Wow, Sheffield is truly a class act and quite the patriot.

:andy
You werent wanted anyways D Bag

LuvSox
07-12-2005, 04:09 PM
What a douche. He could have used a little tact, "I want to spend as much time with my family as possible" Nope, he says "I'm a dick"

cleanwsox
07-12-2005, 04:18 PM
I think it's frustrating for us Americans to see international players show their pride in their country, and then have our superstar athletes not play in these tournaments due to the money issue. This was evident in the Olympics for basketball. Could you imagine the backlash in Argentina if Ginobli didn't play in the Olympics. Suck it up and play, it's once every four years.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-12-2005, 04:24 PM
Wow, Sheffield is truly a class act and quite the patriot.

PULL OVER!!!!

:tealpolice:

But yeah, Sheff is a D-bag, no need for teal on that part.

If we have to pick a favorite, I would put my money on the Dominicans.

brewcrew/chisox
07-12-2005, 05:39 PM
This is the same guy who would purposely throw balls in the stands so he would get traded from the Brewers. He's a roid-head and a butcher in right field; I hope one of his arms falls off.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-12-2005, 05:51 PM
He's not a typical Yankee IMO, just a typical moron.

Chips
07-12-2005, 06:00 PM
I don't think he is that big of jerk for his comments. So the guy doesn't want to play in an exhibition style tournament for pride. Can you hold it against someone for not wanting to risk ending their career for a meaningless game? I don't, big deal if he doesn't want to play.

Besides there are far better players to play right field than Gary Sheffield.

NonetheLoaiza
07-12-2005, 06:16 PM
I just read the article and everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course. The way he went about explaining why he wouldn't participate was extremely tactless. But, when I was reading it, I kept thinking about the number of African Americans currently playing the game. Obviously, the number is way down from 10, 15, 20 years ago. I just think that is important to expose baseball in every way and shape possible. Alot of people do, in fact, look up to Sheffield, and his participating in the Classic could bring more exposure to baseball to African Americans. I love the sport of baseball, and I believe exposing it to as many people as possible is important. The World Baseball Classic is a good way to do this, and for someone to come out and totally dismiss it, IMO, is kind of irresponsible.

I don't intend to turn that article into a race issue, but when I read it, I thought about African American numbers in baseball comparitively over the years. Far be it for me to tell Sheffield where his responsibilites should lie, because only he knows that. I think that it would be important to expose the game in as many ways as possible to as many people as possible.

RKMeibalane
07-12-2005, 07:11 PM
That's fine if he doesn't want to play. I'm sure Big Frank would like to be on the team.

:hurt

"U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!"

samram
07-12-2005, 08:26 PM
It's easy to criticize Sheffield in this case, but I like that he's coming right out and saying he doesn't want to play because he isn't being paid instead of patronizing everyone with crap about wanting to spend time with family or travel, etc. His job is to play for the Yankees, who are paying him handsomely for the next year and a half. Why should he risk injury, which would harm the Yankees, by playing games before he may be ready to do so?

Also, great point about the pitching staffs by Ol' No. 2. I'm not sure how that will be handled.

Lip Man 1
07-12-2005, 08:57 PM
I'm assuming this is in regards to that made for TV tournament next March. Just my opinion...I hope NO White Sox play for any country. None, nada, zippo.

Those games count for nothing. Starting opening day the games count for something.

Those saying the players should play (and they are entitled to their opinion) may (nay probably would) change their tune if say Posednik ripped up a knee in what is basically a glorified exhibition game.

Pitchers who are a fragile breed to start with do not need to be going full out on March 8th for God's sake.

Bottom line question to the supporters....is it more important to beat the Twins, Indians and Cubs or to beat Canada, the Dominican Republic and Mexico????

I know how I'd answer that question.

Lip

LuvSox
07-12-2005, 11:22 PM
It's easy to criticize Sheffield in this case, but I like that he's coming right out and saying he doesn't want to play because he isn't being paid instead of patronizing everyone with crap about wanting to spend time with family or travel, etc.

Don't want to play? Fine, I'm just saying he could've used a better choice of words. "I'm a family man" sounds better than "I'm an *******."

Honestly, I hope nobody plays and the whole thing tanks right in Selig's lap.

Chips
07-12-2005, 11:29 PM
That's fine if he doesn't want to play. I'm sure Big Frank would like to be on the team.

:hurt

"U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!"

I hope not. Assuming he is still playing with us when that times comes around.

Optipessimism
07-13-2005, 03:39 AM
How is he a jerk for not wanting to play in that crap?

I agree with Lip in that if a player injures himself I doubt anything will be worth it. If you were a GM, would you want your star players out there risking injury?

I don't see what the big deal is anyway. The rest of the world is NOT going to jump on the bandwagon of another US-dominated sport, and that is exactly what it becomes when you put pro players in there. If something like this must be done, I'd rather see top MLB prospects or college players out there instead because at least that allows the field to be more competitive.

By the way, if Selig & co. want to add more prestige to baseball, they can start by focusing on problems at hand rather than trying to create new problems elsewhere.

Optipessimism
07-13-2005, 03:49 AM
Don't want to play? Fine, I'm just saying he could've used a better choice of words. "I'm a family man" sounds better than "I'm an *******."

Why should he say something like that when he doesn't mean it to be a legitimate excuse? I respect a person much more if he says what he feels - even though it may not necessarily be what I'd want to hear - than a person who tries to softball everything.

Personally, I hate this idea and I don't think it work. The only way I would see it working would be if the US wasn't a major factor in the competition which would give other countries the opportunity to get excited over the prospect of actually winning the thing. In fact, I'd go even further to say that I would rather see MLB players on third world teams and NO MLB players on the US team. I think that would be much better for the global growth of the sport, which is what Selig is trying to do here I guess. When other teams become better, and if the idea doesn't meet an abrupt XFL-style hault, then you can start improving the US team.

Optipessimism
07-13-2005, 03:57 AM
^ One more thing I'd like to add: how about instead of a tournament, MLB just goes to other countries and builds small ballparks for children to play in? They could send all-star representatives from the MLB, regardless of where they were born, to a given country to donate a field. I'm sure this would garner tons of positive publicity for baseball and also demonstrate the integrity of this country much more than a US-dominated tournament would.

Oh yeah, and screw Bud Selig.

doublem23
07-13-2005, 05:07 AM
I don't want anyone on the Sox to play in this goofy ass tournament.

Madvora
07-13-2005, 07:51 AM
This is fine with me. I actually hope he doesn't play. When they showed the original projected USA lineups with Bonds, Jeter, Sheffield, Manny Ramirez etc. I was disappointed.

I would actually like to root for the guys on my team. I don't like any of these idiots.

Anyone have those original projected lineups? I can't find them.

Jerko
07-13-2005, 09:55 AM
I'm sure Sheffield isn't alone in his thought process. He's just the only one to say something about it yet. I don't think ANY of the U.S. players are going to take this as seriously as the Latin players, probably for the same reasons Sheffield stated, and I think as a result of that the US will do poorly.

samram
07-13-2005, 10:23 AM

If he said "I'm a family man," he would be insulting your intelligence since you would know his real reasons for not wanting to play. The fact that he decided to treat baseball fans like adults makes me respect the guy. I don't need sugar-coated BS spewed at me to make me feel good about some guy I don't know not wanting to do something.

Iwritecode
07-13-2005, 10:25 AM
I'm assuming this is in regards to that made for TV tournament next March. Just my opinion...I hope NO White Sox play for any country. None, nada, zippo.

Those games count for nothing. Starting opening day the games count for something.

Those saying the players should play (and they are entitled to their opinion) may (nay probably would) change their tune if say Posednik ripped up a knee in what is basically a glorified exhibition game.

Pitchers who are a fragile breed to start with do not need to be going full out on March 8th for God's sake.

Bottom line question to the supporters....is it more important to beat the Twins, Indians and Cubs or to beat Canada, the Dominican Republic and Mexico????

I know how I'd answer that question.

Lip

I think the players will more or less look at these games the same way they do spring training games. Same potential for injury in those games...

ondafarm
07-13-2005, 12:08 PM

I totally disagree here. These games count for national pride and since baseball will be out of the Olympics, its the best international tournament there could be. A few years ago I bumped into Tommy Lasorda when he was traveling for coaching the US Olympic team. Now, Tommy was not in the best of health and travel was hard on him, to say the least. I asked him why he was coaching this team and he told me, "I am an American first. A Dodger second. This country is the greatest country in the world and the opportunity to represent it is the greatest opportunity I have ever been given." I asked him if he won the gold medal how he'd compare it to the World Series and he said winning the gold medal would outrank every other baseball accomplishment.

Lip Man 1
07-13-2005, 12:50 PM
I Write Code:

Except that Selig and MLB will be putting 'pressure' on teams in my opinion, to play like 'it's the 7th game of the World Series,' to make their sport look good. No it's NOT like just another spring training game. MLB's reputation is now on the line since they started this.

Ondafarm:

With respect...national pride doesn't mean squat come October does it? In my opinion that's what counts, not a phony series of games designed to 'sell' MLB. MLB doesn't need to be sold. Those who appreciate it will do so, those that don't won't. These 'exhibition' games won't change anyone's opinion on the sport.

So baseball is out of the Olympics...who cares? MLB was NEVER going to shut the sport down for three weeks in August to allow the best players to go anyway. Read Selig's comments about this in today's Daily Southtown.

This is more 'song and dance,' from baseball, more parlor tricks, more P.T. Barnum.

Wait till someone gets injured because they had to play eight innings in early March instead of being allowed to slowly work themselves into shape...wait until a team implodes because while 40 guys are going through the normal spring training process, five 'stars' are at this tournament and team cohersion never takes place. You'll hear the screams of fans of that team from here to Timbucktoo. Bet they won't think this is such a great idea then.

Regarding Lasorda. I know what he told you wasn't phony...his entire baseball life reflects his comments but it's also easy to say those things when you are holding a World Series ring isn't it? Last I looked there are very, very few White Sox fans alive who remember the last time the Sox won a World Series....hell the list is growing smaller every day of Sox fans who even remember seeing their team in a World Series. I'm not willing to risk any chance of a World Series in order to make Proud To Be Your Bud look good.

Lip

ondafarm
07-13-2005, 01:15 PM
Lip,

regarding Lasorda. While it may be easier to say it when wearing a WS ring (he wasn't) I was glad to hear him say it. This was before he won the gold medal so I can't say if he follows it up, but I believe he does.

I appreciate your opnion, but I do disagree on the pride level.

ODF

cleanwsox
07-13-2005, 01:54 PM
Now we got Arod saying he's playing for the Dominican even though he was born in the United States. At least one Yankee want's to play in it.

wsbaseball9
07-13-2005, 09:07 PM
If we have to pick a favorite, I would put my money on the Dominicans.

the cubans might be a good choice too...i cant even name a whole team of cubans, but i know Contreas would pitch to his potential for his country, that just how he is, when he reunited with his family last year when he was still on the yanks, he was hittin the gun at about 101 consistantly

then again i bet the american's could take it to em, how bout--
a healthy bonds, big frank, teixra, others and the rocket/RJ/or buerhle

i really am looking forward to watching this WC

Madvora
07-14-2005, 07:34 AM
the cubans might be a good choice too...i cant even name a whole team of cubans, but i know Contreas would pitch to his potential for his country, that just how he is, when he reunited with his family last year when he was still on the yanks, he was hittin the gun at about 101 consistantly

Could Contreras or Hernandez even play for Cuba? They defected, I don't think they'd be welcomed back to play baseball, let alone want to go back.

LuvSox
07-14-2005, 07:59 AM
If he said "I'm a family man," he would be insulting your intelligence since you would know his real reasons for not wanting to play. The fact that he decided to treat baseball fans like adults makes me respect the guy. I don't need sugar-coated BS spewed at me to make me feel good about some guy I don't know not wanting to do something.

Whatever. Bottom line, he sounds like an *******.