PDA

View Full Version : PRogers on the Barons' OF and Felix Pie

maurice
07-12-2005, 02:11 PM
linky (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050710rogers,1,1482277.column?coll=cs-whitesox-utility)
Some nice quotes from Razor Shines, talking up his guys:
Nobody hits 20 homers in Birmingham, and [Young] has 18 right now. If he was at any other place in the league, I guarantee you he'd have 25, 30 homers now. I like everything about him. Early in the year, the older pitchers were taking advantage of him. He was swinging at low curveballs, high fastballs, pitches off the plate. He worked hard to make an adjustment. He was out early for practice every day, taking flips, working on the strike zone, and now he's hitting homers and doubles on the pitches they were getting him out on.

[Sweeney] has a chance to be a major-league superstar. Don't worry about Ryan Sweeney. He's the least worry of mine. He has the body, he has the swing, he has a cannon for an arm. I think Ryan Sweeney is ahead of the game right now. He has a chance to be one of those guys in the big leagues who hits 40 home runs and wins Gold Gloves for years.

[Young, Sweeney, and Owens] can play. I'm not the only guy who sees that.

veeter
07-12-2005, 03:24 PM
I don't know why, but of the three, I like Owens the best. I think it's a stretch to say Sweeney is going to be a 40 homer guy. In spring training seeing Owens, I thought, now there's a major leaguer. He does not have any power but he could be Pods' replacement a few years down the road. If I'm trading prospects in the next two weeks. Young and Sweeney go before Owens and Anderson. Just my opinion.

JermaineDye05
07-12-2005, 03:27 PM
i cant wait to see those guys in our outfield, Chris Young in Left, Brian Anderson in Center, and Sweeney in Right, that is pretty nice, as long as they dont get traded, but theyll have to wait considerin who we have out there now, its gonna be great when one of them finally makes their major league debut

JermaineDye05
07-12-2005, 03:28 PM
I don't know why, but of the three, I like Owens the best. I think it's a stretch to say Sweeney is going to be a 40 homer guy. In spring training seeing Owens, I thought, now there's a major leaguer. He does not have any power but he could be Pods' replacement a few years down the road. If I'm trading prospects in the next two weeks. Young and Sweeney go before Owens and Anderson. Just my opinion.

i would rather have Young than owens, just cause he can run also, but he can hit too , he can do it all

veeter
07-12-2005, 03:42 PM
i would rather have Young than owens, just cause he can run also, but he can hit too , he can do it all Owens is hitting .321/22sb/45k/33rbi, Young is hitting.261/17sb/90k/50rbi. So owens can hit too and doesn't strike out. Young k's a lot. I'm just saying Owens is more of the Pods type. Which obviously is a good ingredient.

ondafarm
07-12-2005, 04:00 PM
Life doesn't look to good if your name is Joe Borchard. I hope he gets traded because he trys hard and seems like a decent guy.

Frater Perdurabo
07-12-2005, 04:25 PM
Life doesn't look to good if your name is Joe Borchard. I hope he gets traded because he trys hard and seems like a decent guy.

Isn't LTP actually improving of late? Might that suggest he's finally "figuring it out" and "turning it around?" Is it possible he still could develop into a decent MLB player who doesn't K 200 times per year, and might hit .260 with 30 homers?

maurice
07-12-2005, 04:53 PM
Borch has been hot lately, but it may be a pipe dream to hope that he can hit for average in the bigs, unfortunately. OTOH, if he were able to hit .260, he'd be a fine all-around player.

The info listed for Owens and Young is a bit, um, selective. Here's some more:
Owens - .381 OBP, .396 SLG, .777 OPS, 22 SB, 11 CS, 30 BB, 58 R, Age 24
Young - .356 OBP, .525 SLG, .881 OPS, 17 SB, 5 CS, 44 BB, 62 R, Age 21

FloridaSox
07-12-2005, 05:07 PM
He of the sweet swing...and No HRs..and a SLG Ave of .342...I don't get the hype.

Hell, Michaal Jordan hit a couple of HRs in Birmingham.

Randar68
07-12-2005, 05:32 PM
He of the sweet swing...and No HRs..and a SLG Ave of .342...I don't get the hype.

Kid just turned 20, be happy he can hit, makes solid contact and uses the whole field. Much easier to turn a natural hitter with a good eye into a power hitter than the other way around...

BTW, Birmingham is a HUUUUUUUUUGE stadium...

TaylorStSox
07-12-2005, 05:56 PM

He reminds me of Olerud. He doesn't have to hit a lot of homeruns to be an effective hitter. I think he'll be a doubles machine and hit 20 HR's a year.

You can't forget that he's 20 years old and 2 years removed from high school ball, in Iowa of all places. Iowa's not known for producing quality ball players. He's advanced very quickly for his age.

Ol' No. 2
07-12-2005, 05:57 PM
Kid just turned 20, be happy he can hit, makes solid contact and uses the whole field. Much easier to turn a natural hitter with a good eye into a power hitter than the other way around...

BTW, Birmingham is a HUUUUUUUUUGE stadium...Frank Thomas hit only 18 there in a partial season (109 games, 353 AB). Magglio Ordonez hit 18 there in a full season. Aaron Rowand hit 20 there one year and everyone was going ga-ga. It's a tough place for power hitters.

Randar68
07-12-2005, 06:06 PM
Frank Thomas hit only 18 there in a partial season (109 games, 353 AB). Magglio Ordonez hit 18 there in a full season. Aaron Rowand hit 20 there one year and everyone was going ga-ga. It's a tough place for power hitters.

Chris Young has 18 there at the All-Star break.

Sweeney has quite a few off-the-wall doubles that would be out in many parks. This is why he was compared to Olerud coming out of HS. Power is difficult to project in those that don't have it at a young age. Chris Young was a 150 pound noodle coming out of HS, now look at him. He may only be 180 now, but look what he's done! Chris Young played 129 games in Rookie ball before making his full-season debut last year...

In comparison, Sweeney spent all of 29 games in the rookie leagues and at 19 years old jumped straight to High-A. He's in AA now as a 20 year old. He's hitting for a good average and isn't striking out a ton, but he just isn't hitting for power.

Big whoop. He's very athletic, has good awareness at the plate, uses all fields, hits the ball hard all over the place, but hasn't hit any HR's...

Excuse me if I'm plenty content with what he has done thus far...

veeter
07-12-2005, 06:07 PM
I guess any way you look at it, the Sox are loaded with outfield talent. In that vein, Borchard has to be getting traded soon if anyone wants him in the least. He just does not have a place here anymore.

TaylorStSox
07-12-2005, 06:10 PM
I guess any way you look at it, the Sox are loaded with outfield talent. In that vein, Borchard has to be getting traded soon if anyone wants him in the least. He just does not have a place here anymore.

LTP has no trade value. He's a project that somebody will take a chance on. We don't own the rights to him after this year.

Ol' No. 2
07-12-2005, 06:14 PM
LTP has no trade value. He's a project that somebody will take a chance on. We don't own the rights to him after this year.Yes we do. He's out of options, not a FA. He can be traded to someone who intends to keep him on the 25-man roster.

Daver
07-12-2005, 06:19 PM
Yes we do. He's out of options, not a FA. He can be traded to someone who intends to keep him on the 25-man roster.

Are you sure on this?

This is based on nothing but memory, but I think he has an option left, I thought one of his call-ups was in Sept.

TaylorStSox
07-12-2005, 06:19 PM
Yes we do. He's out of options, not a FA. He can be traded to someone who intends to keep him on the 25-man roster.

Is this how the Rule V draft works? I've never really understood it myself.

Ol' No. 2
07-12-2005, 06:23 PM
Are you sure on this?

This is based on nothing but memory, but I think he has an option left, I thought one of his call-ups was in Sept.Pretty sure. Anyone got a media guide handy? Mine's at home.

Ol' No. 2
07-12-2005, 06:29 PM
Is this how the Rule V draft works? I've never really understood it myself.Not a Rule V situation. He's on the 40-man roster, but is optioned to a minor league affiliate. There isn't a limitation on the number of times a player can be optioned, but they can do it only in three years (not necessarily consecutive). Once those three option years are used up, he must either be kept on the 25-man roster or waived. He can be traded to another team, but they have the same choice. So a team that intends to keep him on the 25-man roster could trade for him instead of taking their chances on the waiver wire.

Randar68
07-12-2005, 06:38 PM
Not a Rule V situation. He's on the 40-man roster, but is optioned to a minor league affiliate. There isn't a limitation on the number of times a player can be optioned, but they can do it only in three years (not necessarily consecutive). Once those three option years are used up, he must either be kept on the 25-man roster or waived. He can be traded to another team, but they have the same choice. So a team that intends to keep him on the 25-man roster could trade for him instead of taking their chances on the waiver wire.

They didn't use an option on him this year though, did they?

santo=dorf
07-12-2005, 06:45 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/baseball/mlb/specials/spring_training/2005/athlon/white_sox.html

Timo Perez did a great job a year ago but could lose his spot to former first-round pick Joe Borchard, who is out of options.

Ol' No. 2
07-12-2005, 06:50 PM
They didn't use an option on him this year though, did they?He's on the 40-man roster, optioned to Charlotte. As I understand it, that counts as an option year, even though he was not on the 25-man roster.

BTW, I checked Retrosheet, and his first game is listed as 9/2/02, so that's what Daver was remembering. But he used up options in 2003, 2004 and 2005.

maurice
07-12-2005, 07:02 PM
I guess the bottom line is that Borchard could return to the Sox org. next year, if the Sox want to keep him and nobody else wants him on their 25-man (e.g., Burke, Walker, etc.). There's a Catch 22, however. Continued failure probably would cause the Sox to dump him in favor of younger players, and success probably would cause some other team to take a chance on him. In other words, there's an excellent chance that he'll be gone next year.

BHAMBARONS
07-12-2005, 08:13 PM
Power to me isn't a concern for Sweeney, I think this second half once he has a solid ground in SL pitching his power numbers will jump. Just in the last week of games I seen him drill a ball 385 to RCF and hit off the top of the wall for a 2 run triple and 2 games later do the same thing for a 2 run double. Ryan also is hitting in the 6 hole instead of 3rd like in the 1st half.

rdivaldi
07-12-2005, 09:24 PM
I'm with the pro-Sweeney crowd. I've seen enough minor leaguers, collegiate players, etc. to see that there's just something special in that kid's swing. His approach at the plate is advanced for his age/experience, his defense is good, and his arm is a cannon.

Don't get me wrong, I love the quick bat of Young, but I just see Sweeney being a better player one day. KW can trade Anderson for all I care, but I hope we get to keep those two guys.

Daver
07-12-2005, 09:49 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love the quick bat of Young, but I just see Sweeney being a better player one day. KW can trade Anderson for all I care, but I hope we get to keep those two guys.

Don't be so quick to trade Anderson, he could be what the Sox have been looking for for a long time, a homegrown star CFer.

rdivaldi
07-13-2005, 12:25 AM
Don't be so quick to trade Anderson, he could be what the Sox have been looking for for a long time, a homegrown star CFer.

Honest truth, Anderson doesn't excite or impress me. I know that one of the few out there with that opinion, but I just don't see him being a good player. I love his defense, but when he's at the plate I just think, "That kid looks tenative and is late on his swing." Sweeney gives me the exact opposite feeling with his approach at the plate, seems like he makes solid contact more often than not.

TaylorStSox
07-13-2005, 03:07 AM
From everything I've seen and heard (spring training and scout talk on the net) Anderson doesn't have the upside of Sweeney. Ryan just has a beautiful swing and "looks" like a major league player. That tall thin body and stroke are rare.

[Re: Anderson] I've heard time and again that his defense is excellent. I wouldn't mind seeing him play CF for us next year. It's not like our CF is lighting up the scoreboard. Rowand has turned into a good CF, but from what I've seen, Anderson is a superior defensive player. Anderson would be hard pressed not match Rowand's offensive numbers.

CleeFan101
07-13-2005, 07:23 AM
Owens is hitting .321/22sb/45k/33rbi, Young is hitting.261/17sb/90k/50rbi. So owens can hit too and doesn't strike out. Young k's a lot. I'm just saying Owens is more of the Pods type. Which obviously is a good ingredient.

Owens highest upside is probably what Podsenick is for us right now, while thats good and all Chris Youngs highest upside is being a super star in the league. Think Beltran like of being his highest upside although Young is compared a lot to Mike Cameron.

Tragg
07-13-2005, 11:29 AM
The odds are we're going to trade a couple of these guys. I hope the Sox have a good idea of who the keepers are and who is counterfeit.

Tragg
07-13-2005, 11:30 AM
Borch has been hot lately, but it may be a pipe dream to hope that he can hit for average in the bigs, unfortunately. OTOH, if he were able to hit .260, he'd be a fine all-around player.

From what I saw last year, his problem is that he has no command of the strike zone and swings at everything.

Randar68
07-13-2005, 11:53 AM
Owens highest upside is probably what Podsenick is for us right now, while thats good and all Chris Youngs highest upside is being a super star in the league. Think Beltran like of being his highest upside although Young is compared a lot to Mike Cameron.

Owens has 22 SB's and 11 CS's... That is not Scotty Pods type of material.

maurice
07-13-2005, 12:26 PM
I'm pretty certain that Anderson will be a good all-around MLB player. At this point, he's not likely to bust or fail to stick somewhere in MLB. Though I'm less certain of his upside offensively, it's probably similar to Rowand's upside, maybe higher. Sweeney and Young have more offensive upside, but also a much higher chance that they will bust. Defensively, Young is a rangy CF and Sweeney has a big arm . . . but Anderson combines both of these qualities.

California Sox
07-13-2005, 12:55 PM
I have only seen Young play in spring, but he doesn't remind me of Cameron. His bat is much, much quicker and he is so slight. Dare I say it? He reminded me of a poor man's Eric Davis.

Randar68
07-13-2005, 01:19 PM
I have only seen Young play in spring, but he doesn't remind me of Cameron. His bat is much, much quicker and he is so slight. Dare I say it? He reminded me of a poor man's Eric Davis.

When he came to the Sox out of HS, he was 145-150 pounds soaking wet. He's legitimately in the 175-185 range and he will fill out some more over the next 2-3 years IMO.

TaylorStSox
07-13-2005, 01:32 PM

I hope you're right. Eric Davis > Mike Cameron IMO.

Cowhead418
07-13-2005, 07:03 PM
I'd like to hang onto Young, Sweeney and Anderson (unless they're traded for a stud pitcher of course) but I realize that probably isn't possible. I know that if they pan out the outfield would become crowded and someone would have to go but that would be a great problem to have now wouldn't it?:cool: