PDA

View Full Version : Original Comiskey II

skottyj242
07-12-2005, 02:04 PM
Need some help settling a bet here...does anyone have the original specifics of Comiskey when it originally opened in the 90's? I know they moved the fences in a couple of years ago but a guy I work with insists they moved them back. Basically what I need to know is how far is the fence to all spots today vs. when the park originally opened.

MIgrenade
07-12-2005, 02:09 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ballpark/index.jsp

This has the dimensions now. The old dimensions were 347 down the lines (if I recall correctly) and 400 to center. It was cookie cutter. I don't think the fences were ever moved out. Other people here might know better.

anewman35
07-12-2005, 02:11 PM
Need some help settling a bet here...does anyone have the original specifics of Comiskey when it originally opened in the 90's? I know they moved the fences in a couple of years ago but a guy I work with insists they moved them back. Basically what I need to know is how far is the fence to all spots today vs. when the park originally opened.

There's a chart at http://www.andrewclem.com/Baseball/USCellularField.html. But, no, fences were never moved back.

Clembasbal
07-12-2005, 02:24 PM
The fences were moved in. The White Sox bullpen used to face NNW, or towards home plate...and it was moved.

To be even less general the front row seat right behind the Sox bullpen is actually "ROW 8" instead of ROW 1, telling everybody that the fences were moved up to place the bullpen where it now stands. Also there used to be a stupid gap between the wall and the first row, and that is gone in LF, but I think there is still a gap in LF/CF which is covered now.

At any rate, the fences were moved in for character and a lot of fans wanted the bullpens moved.

skottyj242
07-12-2005, 02:29 PM
The fences were moved in. The White Sox bullpen used to face NNW, or towards home plate...and it was moved.

To be even less general the front row seat right behind the Sox bullpen is actually "ROW 8" instead of ROW 1, telling everybody that the fences were moved up to place the bullpen where it now stands. Also there used to be a stupid gap between the wall and the first row, and that is gone in LF, but I think there is still a gap in LF/CF which is covered now.

At any rate, the fences were moved in for character and a lot of fans wanted the bullpens moved.

Yeah it's row 8 but that's just because the bullpens were moved and they had to take out seats. That's where my tickets are.

skobabe8
07-12-2005, 03:55 PM

Theres still a gap. Albeit not as big as before. It would be nice if it were covered.

anewman35
07-12-2005, 04:06 PM
Theres still a gap. Albeit not as big as before. It would be nice if it were covered.

IIRC, it was covered when they first did the renovations, then they took out the cover after one of the on-field incidents. Seems stupid to me, but what do I know.

skobabe8
07-12-2005, 04:09 PM
IIRC, it was covered when they first did the renovations, then they took out the cover after one of the on-field incidents. Seems stupid to me, but what do I know.

Really? I dont recall that.

Its just another one of those little things that can be improved around the ballpark. Attention to details, people! The details are what seperate the good from the great.

Foulke You
07-12-2005, 04:37 PM
The fences were moved in at the corners but the rest of the park remains the same distance as the day it opened in 1991.

1991 Dimensions:
347 in LF, 375 in Left Center Gap, 400 CF, 375 in Right Center Gap, 347 in RF

2005 Dimensions (fences moved in 2001):
330 in LF, 375 in Left Center Gap, 400 CF, 375 in Right Center Gap, 335 in RF

TornLabrum
07-12-2005, 04:37 PM

Was it that, or was it because of a call by an umpire where the ball bounced back off the covering and it wasn't call a HR?

Foulke You
07-12-2005, 04:38 PM
I believe they put the coverings back on in 2004. It was just in 2003 that the coverings were off if I remember right because the Sox were freaking out that an on field incident would occur at the All Star Game.

TornLabrum
07-12-2005, 04:54 PM
I believe they put the coverings back on in 2004. It was just in 2003 that the coverings were off if I remember right because the Sox were freaking out that an on field incident would occur at the All Star Game.

We sat in the bleachers in early June and the coverings were off then, at least in LF.

skobabe8
07-12-2005, 05:08 PM
We sat in the bleachers in early June and the coverings were off then, at least in LF.

That area has been uncovered all of last year and this year at least. I don't remember how it was in 2003. Right center field is the same way.

Ol' No. 2
07-12-2005, 05:15 PM
Was it that, or was it because of a call by an umpire where the ball bounced back off the covering and it wasn't call a HR?As I recall, they took the coverings off after the Dybas incident because they hopped over the wall and they thought the coverings made it easier.

Brian26
07-12-2005, 05:38 PM
I know they moved the fences in a couple of years ago but a guy I work with insists they moved them back.

He's wrong. No part of the park was ever moved back...only moved in.

Chips
07-12-2005, 07:15 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ballpark/index.jsp

This has the dimensions now. The old dimensions were 347 down the lines (if I recall correctly) and 400 to center. It was cookie cutter. I don't think the fences were ever moved out. Other people here might know better.

It was 347, I remember walking around the field when it first opened and pointing the number out to my dad, who served on the USS Cubera, SS 347. I thought it was cool at the time to see his sub number up there.

champagne030
07-12-2005, 07:35 PM
As I recall, they took the coverings off after the Dybas incident because they hopped over the wall and they thought the coverings made it easier.

The two teens who ran around in their boxers came from section 161 (and yes, crawled on the top and jumped down). They removed the top of the wall after that game. It may not look bad from tv, but looks like crap from row 1 (rusted metal brackets for roof support are still there). They still use the walkway because that's the path the relievers take from the clubhouse to the bullpen..........

C-Dawg
07-12-2005, 10:33 PM
Originally, didn't there used to be an enormous gap between the wall and the edge of the seating area in the outfield? My thinking was that at some point they moved the walls out, and later moved them back in, thus giving the outfield three different configurations.

Or possibly I'm just confused and the bullpen relocations have me seeing things :?:

Brian26
07-12-2005, 11:06 PM
Originally, didn't there used to be an enormous gap between the wall and the edge of the seating area in the outfield? My thinking was that at some point they moved the walls out, and later moved them back in, thus giving the outfield three different configurations.:?:

Prior to the 2001 season, they added some extra rows of seating around the outfield at the same time the bullpens were relocated. This helped narrow the gap.

mccombe_35
07-13-2005, 08:52 AM
The fences were moved in at the corners but the rest of the park remains the same distance as the day it opened in 1991.

1991 Dimensions:
347 in LF, 375 in Left Center Gap, 400 CF, 375 in Right Center Gap, 347 in RF

2005 Dimensions (fences moved in 2001):
330 in LF, 375 in Left Center Gap, 400 CF, 375 in Right Center Gap, 335 in RF

LC is now 377 & RC is 372 i think.

When Frank was putting up his monster #s in the 90's the place was actually a pitchers park.

C-Dawg
07-13-2005, 01:31 PM
Prior to the 2001 season, they added some extra rows of seating around the outfield at the same time the bullpens were relocated. This helped narrow the gap.

That would explain it I think. I've never noticed the new seating rows; maybe they aren't as obvious as the new rows AA, BB, and CC along the base lines which stand out against the older seats which are more faded.