PDA

View Full Version : Tribune Continues to Tamper: Openly covet Moises Alou

Hangar18
07-12-2005, 11:52 AM
The Cubune today continued their openly aggressive and illegal practice of finding players for the Cubs in todays article by Mike Downey. Downey,
thru mysterious "other writers", asks if he'd like to be a Cub again and assorted
nonsense, asking him about the team, does he miss it there etc etc. Cubs
are clearly gauging whether he would like it here. This comes on the heels of Mike "Yellow Journalist" Kileys article a few weeks ago regarding how the cub clubhouse would love him back. Why doesnt baseball crack down on this stuff?

Steakpita
07-12-2005, 11:54 AM
Whoah, you're paranoid!:?:

SOXPHILE
07-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Boers & Bernstein commenting on it now, and what a stupid, ridiculous column it was. To me, it's just another example of the Tribune filling us in on what each and every ex-Cub is doing now-a-days. Who cares ? Alou was a POS, and people seem to conveniently forget that. He was horrible on the basepaths, and an inconsistent hitter.

Unregistered
07-12-2005, 12:16 PM
Boers & Bernstein commenting on it now, and what a stupid, ridiculous column it was. To me, it's just another example of the Tribune filling us in on what each and every ex-Cub is doing now-a-days. Who cares ? Alou was a POS, and people seem to conveniently forget that.
Well Downey is a "stupid, ridiculous" columnist. Seriously, the next time I read something insightful or even thought provoking from that guy will be the first time.

SOXPHILE
07-12-2005, 12:25 PM
Well Downey is a "stupid, ridiculous" columnist. Seriously, the next time I read something insightful or even thought provoking from that guy will be the first time.

No argument here Unregistered. His columns are all fluff. Almost every one of them is "Gee, everything sure is great. This guy here is really great too..." I also seem to remember when he came back to Chicago after writing in Los Angeles for a long time, that he stated he was a big Cub fan, owned a seat from Wrigley, pictures of all the old Cubs, Harry Caray, etc., and how glad he was to be back home, able to more closely follow them. Now, I hear that he's a Sox fan. Huh ?

Steakpita
07-12-2005, 12:47 PM
Downey makes his living from being inoffensive. I'd rather have that than freakin' Mariotti, any day. At least downey makes me laugh once in a while. If you don't read it as a "Please, please, come back to the Cubs!" type article, which is not what I think it was intended as, I actually thought it contained some pretty good insight into Alou, who has had a LOOOOOOOONG and interesting career.

Lip Man 1
07-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Downey wrote a guest comment in Bob Vanderberg's book 'Summer of 59' where he states that he grew up with the Sox and to this day hates the Dodgers because they won the 59 series.

Take it for whatever it's worth.

Lip

Hangar18
07-12-2005, 01:08 PM
Downey wrote a guest comment in Bob Vanderberg's book 'Summer of 59' where he states that he grew up with the Sox and to this day hates the Dodgers because they won the 59 series.

Take it for whatever it's worth.

Lip

than this certainly begs the question .......... WHY is he doing the dirty work
of blatantly getting player for the Cubune?
Answer: He knows who signs the checks