PDA

View Full Version : Harry Caray's "stint" with Sox

Hitmen77
07-12-2005, 09:02 AM
Here's an article in today's Cubune:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0507120156jul12,1,4491797.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

So, how does 15 years w/ the Cubs make him a "long-time" Cub announcer but 11 years with the Sox only qualifies as a "sandwiched" "stint" - essentially equal to his 1 year at Oakland??? I guess we should be shocked that the Cubune even mentioned the White Sox.

SOXintheBURGH
07-12-2005, 09:08 AM
What a joke.

How many "Wrigley Stadium Traditions" were stolen from the Sox? Boo this man!

eriqjaffe
07-12-2005, 09:38 AM
Even worse than the article was the advertisement at the top of the page!

http://adserver.trb.com/ads/chicago/tribune/house/wgn/thisoldcub_leader0705.jpg

Where's that picture of the guy vomiting...? Oh, yeah, here it is.

:chunks

TommyJohn
07-12-2005, 09:40 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0507120156jul12,1,4491797.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

So, how does 15 years w/ the Cubs make him a "long-time" Cub announcer but 11 years with the Sox only qualifies as a "sandwiched" "stint" - essentially equal to his 1 year at Oakland??? I guess we should be shocked that the Cubune even mentioned the White Sox.

What a joke.

The Racehorse
07-12-2005, 09:49 AM
Harry Caray, long-time broadcasting voice of the St. Louis Cardinals and the Cubs, sandwiched around stints with the Oakland A's and the White Sox...

No Shame.

Dan H
07-12-2005, 09:59 AM
There is a huge propaganda machine spewing out nonsense about a team that has been nothing short of pathetic since it went to its last World Series 60 years ago. And it has a huge fan base that believes every word of it.

SOXSINCE'70
07-12-2005, 10:25 AM

I would appreciate a "sandwiched stint" with an employer that
lasted 11 years or longer.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SOXSINCE'70
07-12-2005, 10:27 AM

When do Sox fans see documentaries on Minnie Minoso,Billy Pierce
or Luis Aparicio titled "These Old Sox"????:roflmao: :roflmao: :rolling: :rolling:

PaleHoseGeorge
07-12-2005, 10:34 AM
When do Sox fans see documentaries on Minnie Minoso,Billy Pierce or Luis Aparicio titled "These Old Sox"????

When the Tribune buys the Sox.

PatK
07-12-2005, 11:56 AM
I wonder how many of the people that voted actually:

1) Heard Harry broadcast

2) Listened to any other broadcaster from any other city.

Back when I was young, dumb, and more of a Cubs fan and a freshman in college (1989), people from other states would tell me how much he sucked, and I was like "No way, he's the best".

Then I heard other announcers and apologized for being so stupid.

Viva Medias B's
07-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Harry was really in his golden era of radio behind the KMOX microphone with the St. Louis Cardinals, where he probably would have stayed had he not had "problems" in St. Louis.

And his best television days were with us on WSNS.

Hitmen77
07-12-2005, 01:08 PM

I love how it's a WORLD Television Premiere! Wow, WGN got such a great exclusive on this story! I'm really impressed that they got this before the major networks, HBO, the BBC, Al Jazeera, etc. It makes me so proud to be a Chicagoan!!! I can't wait until next week for WGN to hype the ENCORE presentation of This Old Scrub!

voodoochile
07-12-2005, 01:22 PM
Harry was really in his golden era of radio behind the KMOX microphone with the St. Louis Cardinals, where he probably would have stayed had he not had "problems" in St. Louis.

And his best television days were with us on WSNS.

Go into his namesake restaurant and go into the bar. Immediately after entering the bar, turn left and check out the huge trophy on the end of the bar. It's an award from Sporting News for Sportscaster of the year from 1947 (or something equally ridiculous).

Harry in his prime was a legend and one of the greats of the game...

jackbrohamer
07-12-2005, 01:34 PM
Harry in his prime was a legend and one of the greats of the game...

ESPN Classic occasionally replays the last game of the 1968 World Series, which Caray announced along with Curt Gowdy. It is about the best announcing I have ever heard for any sport.

Too bad he stuck around too long and allowed himself to turn into the buffonish Rodner Dangerfield knockoff he beccme with the Cubs.

SOXSINCE'70
07-12-2005, 02:49 PM
When the Tribune buys the Sox.

Maybe Hell will freeze over first.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TommyJohn
07-12-2005, 02:54 PM
ESPN Classic occasionally replays the last game of the 1968 World Series, which Caray announced along with Curt Gowdy. It is about the best announcing I have ever heard for any sport.

Too bad he stuck around too long and allowed himself to turn into the buffonish Rodner Dangerfield knockoff he beccme with the Cubs.

I watched that on mlb.com and he was very sharp during that game, he didn't
sound at all like the parody he became with the Cubs.

Hell, just listen to the WSI audio clips from Harry's "stint" with the White Sox.
You'll hear the old, sharp Harry Caray on those, as well.

So.ILSoxFan
07-12-2005, 03:22 PM
Wow, WGN got such a great exclusive on this story! I'm really impressed that they got this before the major networks, HBO, the BBC, Al Jazeera

:roflmao::roflmao::rolling::rolling:

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-12-2005, 03:27 PM
Maybe Hell will freeze over first.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

what the hell? :tealtutor:

Fenway
07-12-2005, 03:32 PM
I rememember the first time I heard Harry on the radio and wondered "who is this clown?" It was Game 1 of the 1967 World Series and he was doing the game with Jim Simpson on radio.

Still how can any survey not have Vin Scully as #1

I also forgot how bland Curt Gowdy was.

StillMissOzzie
07-12-2005, 04:57 PM
When do Sox fans see documentaries on Minnie Minoso,Billy Pierce
or Luis Aparicio titled "These Old Sox"????:roflmao: :roflmao: :rolling: :rolling:

When one of their sons gets a hold of a film crew and makes such a movie / documentary, like Ron Santo's son Jeff did.

SMO
:gulp:

DenverSock
07-12-2005, 05:36 PM
What's amazing about all the surveys is that people who don't know a damn thing about the subject at hand answer them as if they knew. What the hell was Jack Brickhouse doing on the list. Listening to him was like listening to a golf announcer. "A ball. A strike. Another ball. Popped up foul and caught. Next batter. A strike." And so on and so on.

TornLabrum
07-12-2005, 06:00 PM
What's amazing about all the surveys is that people who don't know a damn thing about the subject at hand answer them as if they knew. What the hell was Jack Brickhouse doing on the list. Listening to him was like listening to a golf announcer. "A ball. A strike. Another ball. Popped up foul and caught. Next batter. A strike." And so on and so on.

I can and will say Brickhouse was a terrific baseball announcer. When he was doing Sox games, Channel 9 ostensibly had a 2-man booth, but all the second guy was there for was live commercial reads and to do 1.5 innings of PBP from the bottom of the seventh through the eighth. Brickhouse essentially carried the broadcast by himself.

Fenway
07-12-2005, 06:16 PM
We never heard Brickhouse in the East but I remember around 1960 he hosted a Game of the Week package during the winter which was White Sox and Cubs games condensed to an hour.

I think that was the first time I saw Wrigley Field and wondered why they had leaves on the wall. I thought it was stupid.

34rancher
07-12-2005, 07:45 PM
I dunno, but I would think that two major names should have been on that list...arguably by me higher than all of those guys (except maybe, and I mean maybe Vin Scully):
1. Jack Buck- LEGEND!!! What he did after Sept. 11 still gives me goosebumps and chills when I see it replayed.

2. Ernie Harwell- without him, this list just became null and void in my opinion.

DenverSock
07-12-2005, 07:53 PM
The title says it all

RavenswoodFan
07-12-2005, 08:27 PM
:roflmao::roflmao:Even worse than the article was the advertisement at the top of the page!

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Chips
07-12-2005, 08:41 PM
I think that was the first time I saw Wrigley Field and wondered why they had leaves on the wall. I thought it was stupid.

It is stupid.

Lip Man 1
07-12-2005, 10:08 PM
I will admit the way the piece was written makes it seem like Harry 'stopped off' for a quick one with the White Sox. Nothing is further from the truth. You can't compare 11 years with the Sox to one with the A's. (Harry hated Finley and the feeling was mutual)

Lip

robertks61
07-12-2005, 10:20 PM
From Bob Wood's "Dodger dogs to Fenway franks" Acknowledgments:

To Mr. Ernie Harwell for your thoughtfulness. Also for those nights when I was a kid and tuned to you and Ray Lane doing the Tigers from the corner of Michigan & Trumbell. Baseball's lucky to have such an ambassador.

Probably the only book I ever read cover to cover.

miker
07-15-2005, 01:27 PM
Back when I was young, dumb, and more of a Cubs fan and a freshman in college (1989), people from other states would tell me how much he sucked, and I was like "No way, he's the best".

Then I heard other announcers and apologized for being so stupid.

I love to hear stories of redemption!