PDA

View Full Version : What did I miss while gone?

DumpJerry
07-12-2005, 08:12 AM
OK gang, this is a test of my will power. Many months ago, during SP, I made plans for a summer vacation to California where I will be backpacking and camping in the mountains in and around Sequoia National Park. I leave tonight (7-12) and return next Thursday the 21st. At the time, all I knew was that the trip did not conflict with any Ozzie games I bought, so I was not worried.

Here's my problem: I did not think we would the total Studgods of MLB this year (I was optimistic, but not enough to put us on a 110 win pace!). While I am gone, I will have no access to cell phones, television, radio, newspapers, THE OUTSIDE WORLD! I will have no clue what the Sox are doing while I am gone.

Please, please let me know what I miss. When I come off the mountains, I will buy a newspaper to check the standings, but that won't tell me what excitement I missed. Please add to this thread letting me know what I missed. I'll be reintroduced to civilization on the 22nd and 23rd at Comiskey, so I expect a full recovery. Don't PM me, the box will fill up.

Thanks gang and let's get going to October!:D:

Madvora
07-12-2005, 08:23 AM
You're probably better off posting this same thing when you get back. This will probably slip off the board by the end of today.

You can assume they will do well though. We're done with Oakland.

downstairs
07-12-2005, 09:05 AM
Wow... enjoy. I don't know if I could be disconnected from civilization (including White Sox scores) for more than a day...

You're going at the right time. Think of it this way... they could lose every single game while you're gone, and I bet they're still in first place.

The Racehorse
07-12-2005, 09:15 AM
DumpJerry, don't worry about the SOX, they'll [we'll] be fine. Just go out to NoCal and have fun and enjoy yourself... and watch out for smart-alecks who get their jollies running around in monkey suits.

Goose
07-12-2005, 10:20 AM
Do us all a favor...while you're out there, drive a couple of hours north and thump some A's skulls for all of us here at WSI.

Send pictures of the carnage.

Thanks in advance.

LVSoxFan
07-12-2005, 10:55 AM
Dude you should have gone on your trip this past weekend. Trust me.

mike squires
07-12-2005, 11:16 AM
To me this sounds awesome. I think that would be fun kind of living in wonder for a few weeks living in limbo. It's happened to me twice. Summer of 92' while I was doing my basic training and on my honeymoon on a cruise. (although I did have access to a TV for scores on the ship.) I had to rely on occasional newspaper box scores sent from my Dad during my training. I also remember trying to get an update from a drill sergeant. I remember him saying the Braves are on fire. I was worried cause I thought it would be the year the Sox did it just cause I was gone. I think they hung around 5-6-7 games back the whole year.

Have a good time, clear your mind and relax.

Mark
07-12-2005, 12:13 PM
I left for my honeymoon in '93 with the Sox and Jays tied at 2-2 in the ALCS and was forced to read about their demise in the European version of USA Today in Ireland.

LauraJ14
07-12-2005, 05:29 PM
I was in Ireland in May of 2001 for 9 days and boy did I miss the Sox. I think that was when Frank had his bicep injury and I came home to him out for the season.

DumpJerry
07-21-2005, 02:26 AM
Hey guys, I'm at my friend's home in suburban San Diego, I fly to Chicago tommorrow (Thurs). It was an awesome trip. The weather was perfect, no clouds, the bears were busy elsewhere (with all the record snowfall they had last winter, there is a ton of food for them away from people).

I spent a couple of days in Yosemite. Saw two guys, one with an A's hat, his buddy with an A's shirt. I'm not sure if the bodies will be located...... I did see a woman in Yosemite with a Sox hat on and I told her I loved it.

I was able to keep up periodically with the boys. It was nice to see the sweep in Cleveland. I don't feel too bad about the last two Kitty games, they're getting ready for the BoSox.

This couple who camped at the site next to mine in Big Sur told me that Adam Kennedy of the Angels was the Best Man at their wedding and is the Godfather to their two year old. Seems that Kennedy and the groom grew up together. The husband told me that Adam has a brother, Brian, who is in the Twins system.

See everyone soon at 35th and Shields!!!

mike squires
07-21-2005, 06:58 AM
Welcome back!!! Glad you had fun. Now let's take 3 of 4!