PDA

View Full Version : Polanco>Uribe as SS

Meninho
07-11-2005, 10:52 PM
I don't know what we'd have to give up to get Placido Polanco, but his offense is obviously better (.246 6 26<.319 5 34), and the defense is comparable. Polanco has experience at short, with 8 errors in 122 games career games (over many many years, granted) to Uribe's 55-409, a difference of .052 errors a game, approximately 8 over 162 games (just based on SS numbers). I'm willing to take that, even though placido is four years older and earning about 2 million more a year. And to be fair, I'll add a dancing shaggy thing. :dtroll:

MIgrenade
07-11-2005, 10:59 PM
I think the Sox missed the boat on Polanco for this year since he was just traded.
That dancing shaggy thing is a troll. It is used when someone is acting like a troll by posting things that are irrelevant and just wants a reaction from others. Since I had no clue what it was for a long time, I will tell you up front.

Meninho
07-11-2005, 11:02 PM
Much obliged.However, I think that Detroit might be willing to deal him anyways, maybe try to get some prospects, seeing how early the Phillies trade went down.

fquaye149
07-11-2005, 11:11 PM
I don't know what we'd have to give up to get Placido Polanco, but his offense is obviously better (.246 6 26<.319 5 34), and the defense is comparable. Polanco has experience at short, with 8 errors in 122 games career games (over many many years, granted) to Uribe's 55-409, a difference of .052 errors a game, approximately 8 over 162 games (just based on SS numbers). I'm willing to take that, even though placido is four years older and earning about 2 million more a year. And to be fair, I'll add a dancing shaggy thing. :dtroll:

Ok. I don't even know why we're talking about this but

a.) Polanco has produced much better at the plate than Uribe
b.) Polanco's defense is good but Uribe's defense is among the better in the GAME
c.)Detroit will not trade a cheap player who is one of their key performers to an interdivisional rival.

It may not be worth Uribe's tepid hitting to have his excellent defense...but it's all academic since Polanco is not coming to the southside in the near future.

Meninho
07-11-2005, 11:34 PM
a. $4.6 million for Polanco, $2.1 for Uribe in 2005. 4.6 million for a 2nd baseman is not that cheap, less than Kent Castillo Durham Boone Soriano Matsui (that's only six guys) but that's about it, more than Roberts Figgins Counsell Biggio G-Man Womack Spivey list goes on and on
b. Uribe is 14th among SS in Errors committed with 9. Not great. Not bad. This team has plenty of defense anyway.
c. When Detroit is out of it in late July, they may just trade to a rival to get prospects. Not saying Kenny will do that, just saying it's possible.

Jjav829
07-11-2005, 11:52 PM
Polanco is not a shortstop. The only shortstop that could be available and would be an upgrade is Vizquel.

doublem23
07-12-2005, 12:13 AM
Errors are not a way to judge a player on his fielding prowess.

:hitless
I never make an error because I never attempt to play at balls hit more than a few feet from me.

And now, here come 200+ posts of silly namecalling and pointless stathead garbage.

Optipessimism
07-12-2005, 12:25 AM
I'm perfectly happy with Juan's defense, and his power and speed in the 9 hole is an added bonus. Obviously, there are improvements offensively but that is not what you look for in a SS. IMO, the only way you look to improve Juan's position is if you can get a guy like Tejada or ARod, which is never ever ever happening. Any offensive improvements logically come from DH, corner outfield, or corner infield spots, and in most of those areas we are doing alright so far.

Optipessimism
07-12-2005, 12:28 AM
And now, here come 200+ posts of silly namecalling and pointless stathead garbage.

I don't think there will be many who will question his ability at SS because anyone who has been watching this season has seen Juan make some great plays to pick up his pitching staff.

Meninho
07-12-2005, 12:34 AM
No, range would come into the equation as well, as in Bret Boone has no range, Bret Boone commits few errors. I'm just saying Polanco's not a LIABILITY in the field, and the Sox need a guy who can hit for AVERAGE, because nobody is all that stellar in that department. Pods and Guch are great, but I'd like to see a guy batting above .300 for an extended period of time besides Ozuna. Really the only reason I bring up Uribe is that I would prefer to keep Crede over Juan (for no real reason, to be honest), and those are the only guys I would want to upgrade. Vizquel would be great, too, legendary glove, hitting around .300 and he has 14 sb. 14! You can't let him steal a base, he's too old! I mean look at him, he's too old!
And now, The Larch....

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3056&stc=1

balke
07-12-2005, 12:36 AM
He's not a SS as said before.

Juan OPS 2004: .883
Polanco: .786

Juan top hr's: 23
Polanco: 17

Polanco strikes out less, is on base more, but I guess it comes down to whether you want power or on-base pct. more. I think Uribe is a great SS, there's not much of a benefit in having Polanco instead.

Meninho
07-12-2005, 12:42 AM
He's not a SS as said before.

As I said before, he's played 122 games at SS. He's a 2B who can utility.

Brian26
07-12-2005, 09:20 AM
Much obliged.However, I think that Detroit might be willing to deal him anyways, maybe try to get some prospects, seeing how early the Phillies trade went down.

Detroit isn't going to trade anyone to another team in their division.

Frater Perdurabo
07-12-2005, 09:32 AM
Polanco is not a shortstop. The only shortstop that could be available and would be an upgrade is Vizquel.

Jjav,

I'd like the Sox to get Vizquel the plan was to make Uribe the "super sub" and allowed the Sox to demote Harris to learn to play shortstop and learn to bunt by starting every day at Charlotte.

Lip Man 1
07-12-2005, 11:53 AM
Detroit has a chance for their first winning season in nine years, they aren't dealing anybody.

Lip

maurice
07-12-2005, 12:48 PM
the defense is comparable

:o:
I like Polanco and wanted the Sox to get him in the past (for 2B or maybe 3B), but Uribe is one of the best defensive players in all of baseball.

I would prefer to keep Crede over Juan (for no real reason, to be honest)

I would prefer to keep Juan over Crede for a few reasons: Uribe plays a tougher defensive position, he plays more defensive positions, he is an outstanding situational hitter, and he has shown more potential for improvement. Though he does not steal bases well, Uribe also is faster than Crede.

If the Sox decide to get Vizquel for some reason, I suspect that Ozzie would shift Uribe to 3B most games. If they somehow got Polanco, I'm pretty sure that he would play 3B, not SS.

White Sox Randy
07-12-2005, 12:53 PM

I hate these suggestions about playing players out of position. Polanco plays second or third. We are not looking to weaken our defense. Pitching and defense is why we Sox fans are talking about a World Series.

We don't need Dye at first, Polanco at short or Hillenbrand at third. Please.