PDA

View Full Version : King Kaufman's Midseason BB report. Big surprises: White Sox, Nationals.

DrCrawdad
07-11-2005, 09:43 PM
Kaufman's preseason comments are in bold.

http://images.salon.com/col/src/kkaufman.gif

King Kaufman's Sports Daily

Midseason baseball report. Big surprises: White Sox, Nationals. Not a surprise: This column's Cubs-like prediction performance.

You could make an argument for the Indians, Tigers and White Sox in any order between the first-place Twins and the last-place Royals, and I'll put them in that order.

Wait, it gets better.

The White Sox are headed downhill, and might even rival the Royals for last place.

Let's just say I got my wires crossed when it came to Chicago and leave it at that, shall we?

The Washington Post picked the Cubs to win the N.L. Central, and Peter Gammons of ESPN joined me in picking the Cubs to (hard ... to ... type ... this) win the National League pennant. Tom Verducci of Sports Illustrated, echoing the thoughts of many, wrote, "It would be a big mistake to write off the Giants over Bonds' Hamlet speech."

And of all the experts whose picks I perused before the season, a fair number, exactly no one picked the Nationals to make the playoffs, never mind win their division. And the only one who picked the White Sox -- who have the best record in the majors -- so much as winning their division was ESPN's Rob Neyer.

But even the estimable Neyer also had the A's and Dodgers winning their divisions and the Phillies winning the National League. So my point is ...

Oh, I don't have a point. Did I mention the things I said about the N.L. West

Madvora
07-12-2005, 08:28 AM
Nice picks, your majesty.

downstairs
07-12-2005, 08:47 AM
He's in the long line of "analysts" who take last years winners, big names, jumble them up a bit and make random picks.

TornLabrum
07-12-2005, 08:53 AM
Serious question: Who is King Kaufman and why should we care whom he picks?

ilsox7
07-12-2005, 08:56 AM
Serious question: Who is King Kaufman and why should we care whom he picks?

Didn't you recognize him from his picture?

SOXintheBURGH
07-12-2005, 08:59 AM
Didn't you recognize him from his picture?

He kinda looks like Charlie Sheen's bizarro evil twin (with goatee).

fquaye149
07-12-2005, 09:56 AM
give him a break. Even though he did play the "most experts didn't pick the Sox" card, he at least admits it was his mistake and doesn't imply that the Sox are playing above their head or shouldn't be in first like many revisionist historians I've seen apologizing this season have.

Lip Man 1
07-12-2005, 12:45 PM
And again as Hal said, 'who' is King Kauffman and why should we care?

Lip

robiwho
07-12-2005, 01:22 PM
And again as Hal said, 'who' is King Kauffman and why should we care?

He's the sports columnist at Salon.com. I can't come up with a reason why you should care.

SOXfnNlansing
07-12-2005, 01:54 PM
He's the sports columnist at Salon.com. I can't come up with a reason why you should care. Isn't salon.com a liberal site? They have the freedom for wild speculation and homer-ism IMO

TornLabrum
07-12-2005, 02:31 PM
Isn't salon.com a liberal site? They have the freedom for wild speculation and homer-ism IMO

Ah...just the trick for getting this thrown into the ****house and locked. Thanks loads.

Steakpita
07-12-2005, 03:06 PM
Rob Neyer picked the Sox? Holy hell! Wasn't he the one hating on us on ESPN Insider midway through the first half? Where did that come from?

ps - I still hate Rob Neyer.

:smile:

Whitesox029
07-12-2005, 04:03 PM
Maybe preseason predictions by the media should be banned...God knows it would reduce the number of threads about them at this place greatly. It's fun to make fun of them now, but all the stupid ones at the beginning of the season before they were proven wrong just bug the hell out of me.

chisox06
07-12-2005, 04:10 PM
give him a break. Even though he did play the "most experts didn't pick the Sox" card, he at least admits it was his mistake and doesn't imply that the Sox are playing above their head or shouldn't be in first like many revisionist historians I've seen apologizing this season have.

I agree, at least his ego isn't so big that he cant have a sense of humor about himself. He admits he screwed up, and it's just another example that you can speculate all you want, but regardless of what you think when the games get played you can end up looking like an idiot. Props to the White Sox and the Nationals for exposing the "experts" in the sports media for what they are, a bunch of blow hard think they know everything ass clowns.

By the way anyone catch Moronitti on PTI the other day? Jay says the White Sox are the biggest surprise this year, and complimented their pitching and their aggressive style of play. Has the wind been blowing South in Chicago recently??

CPditka
07-13-2005, 12:38 PM
Page 2 ESPN made a humorous stab at power rankings... heres the Sox

30. Chicago White Sox (57-29)
We're hanging the Sox in the basement simply because we hope such a slap might inspire Ozzie Guillen to go all Magglio on us. You know, like:

"Page 2 is a piece of [bleep]. [Bleep] them. They know I can [bleep] them over in a lot of different ways."

Oh, yes we do. And we get excited just thinking about it. The Oz is the undisputed king of the fiery, all-out-of-proportion quote right now, and to be defamed by him would be an honor.

If he doesn't oblige, we'll be crushed. But we do have a Plan B: We've got a couple of tech guys working up a prototype for an Ozzie Guillen Random Quote Generator as we speak. You'll just type in your name, or the name of someone you really love, and we'll let Ozzie have at 'em.

As the man himself might say, "Now, that's some [bleep], there."

fquaye149
07-13-2005, 01:12 PM
Page 2 ESPN made a humorous stab at power rankings... heres the Sox

30. Chicago White Sox (57-29)
We're hanging the Sox in the basement simply because we hope such a slap might inspire Ozzie Guillen to go all Magglio on us. You know, like:

"Page 2 is a piece of [bleep]. [Bleep] them. They know I can [bleep] them over in a lot of different ways."

Oh, yes we do. And we get excited just thinking about it. The Oz is the undisputed king of the fiery, all-out-of-proportion quote right now, and to be defamed by him would be an honor.

If he doesn't oblige, we'll be crushed. But we do have a Plan B: We've got a couple of tech guys working up a prototype for an Ozzie Guillen Random Quote Generator as we speak. You'll just type in your name, or the name of someone you really love, and we'll let Ozzie have at 'em.

As the man himself might say, "Now, that's some [bleep], there."

HEE HEE HEE. Page 2, welcome back from April.