PDA

View Full Version : Jon Garland first-half AL MVP?

Frater Perdurabo
07-11-2005, 07:34 PM
Of course he won't win it, since MVP almost always goes to a position player. However, what one player has played such a big role in his team's success in 2005?

No can can disagree that by any objective standard the Sox have been the best team to date. Few can deny the Sox starting pitching has been the most significant aspect in the team's success.

Even if the media didn't want to acknowledge it, we all knew Buehrle and Garcia would be aces. Yet who here predicted Garland would be an All-Star and would have the highest win total in the AL?

If Jon Garland had not taken such a massive step forward, the Sox still might be in first place, but it's almost certain they would not have a 9-game lead.

So, by definition, isn't Jon Garland the "Most Valuable Player" to the Sox so far this year?

Discuss...

JRIG
07-11-2005, 07:42 PM
Of course he won't win it, since MVP almost always goes to a position player. However, what one player has played such a big role in his team's success in 2005?

No can can disagree that by any objective standard the Sox have been the best team to date. Few can deny the Sox starting pitching has been the most significant aspect in the team's success.

Even if the media didn't want to acknowledge it, we all knew Buehrle and Garcia would be aces. Yet who here predicted Garland would be an All-Star and would have the highest win total in the AL?

If Jon Garland had not taken such a massive step forward, the Sox still might be in first place, but it's almost certain they would not have a 9-game lead.

So, by definition, isn't Jon Garland the "Most Valuable Player" to the Sox so far this year?

Discuss...

Buehrle has been the best, most consistent pitcher on this team. Heck, the best player on this team.

It all comes down to how you define "valuable" I guess, but for me, Buehrle is without a doubt the MVP of the first half of '05.

SOXfnNlansing
07-11-2005, 07:46 PM
I agree he's the MVP because he has 6 more wins and 5 less losses than he would have been projected to have. I think his streak of 8 wins to start the season propelled the Sox to the fast start that we usually don't have.

Frater Perdurabo
07-11-2005, 07:49 PM
Buehrle has been the best, most consistent pitcher on this team. Heck, the best player on this team.

It all comes down to how you define "valuable" I guess, but for me, Buehrle is without a doubt the MVP of the first half of '05.

I too think Buehrle's the best on the staff. But he's performing in line with his performances from years past. Yes, he's lost a few wins because he's not gotten run support in a few starts. We've expected excellence from him and are getting it again this year. Same thing for Garcia, too.

However, I think the biggest difference between last year's starters and this year's starters has been Garland's awesome improvement.

I guess reasonable minds can agree to disagree. I'm so glad we have this problem to argue over, though.

:supernana:

Rocklive99
07-11-2005, 07:50 PM
Are we talking MVP of the Sox or MVP of the league? If the games ended today, ARod would win it.

The thing about Buerhle is that we've come to expect it from him, and Garland came out of nowhere, passing his career win total in the first half, when he was supposed to be the fifth starter. Then again, we're talking about MVP, all that goes out the window and you look at the stats. Buerhle deserves it from the Sox, but it's hard to pick one. I hate to sound like Hawk, but it's been such a team effort, with some KW acquisitions working/flowing perfectly with each other to get a win.

Daver
07-11-2005, 07:51 PM
The MVP would be Scott Podsednick, he completely throws the opposition into fits when he gets on base, and everyone that follows him in the order benefits from it.

Tad Iguchi is not seeing all those fastballs if Scott is not on the basepaths scaring the hell out of the pitcher.

fquaye149
07-11-2005, 07:51 PM

It's hard to choose. I'd give Buehrle the nod though because we owe him about 3 wins for no decisions. If he had the run support Garland got he's likely be 14-2 or something to that effect. Couple that with more innings and a lower ERA and I think he edges Garland out.

They've both been very solid. Very happy for Mark tomorrow evening when he starts the ASG...although damn 3 day rest >:(

SoxFan76
07-11-2005, 08:34 PM
Podsednik.

Remember last year when Willie and Uribe were hitting over .300? The Sox were rollin and were in 1st place. Their performances dropped off and so did the Sox. Podsednik and Iguchi have shown they can be consistent ballplayers that can lead this team into the playoffs. They continually do the little things right to let the big guys like Frank/Konerko/Everett/Dye/Rowand to drive them in. Since I can't pick both Iguchi and Podsednik, I pick the man who leads all of baseball in stolen bases and infield hits:

Scott Podsednik

This is The Year
07-14-2005, 03:04 PM
I haven't been on in a while so i dunno if this has already been a thread so give me the link if so. But if not tell me who you think is the first half MVP for the 1ST place chicago white sox

soltrain21
07-14-2005, 03:05 PM
Offensive - Pods

Pitching - Garland

ondafarm
07-14-2005, 03:09 PM
1st half offense: Tadahito Iguchi

1st half pitching: Dustin Hermanson

GAsoxfan
07-14-2005, 03:09 PM
Offensive - Pods

Pitching - Buehrle

toledosoxfan
07-14-2005, 03:10 PM
Mark Buehrle

White Sox Josh
KW for putting this team together.

A_ROW33
In my book AJ Pierzynski, although I also think he is a guy who needs to improve in the 2nd half

MsSoxVixen22
07-14-2005, 03:26 PM
Iguchi and Garland

Madvora
07-14-2005, 03:31 PM
KW for putting this team together.
I give more credit to Ozzie for the way this team is built because I believe that without Ozzie's influence and experience with the 2003 Marlins, that KW would have continued to put the same crap out there as 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004.
KW and Ozzie working together got it right.

nebraskasox
07-14-2005, 03:34 PM
Offensive - Pods

Pitching - Buehrle

My vote too.

NealCotts4Life
07-14-2005, 03:36 PM
Definatly Iguchi, he was an unknown coming in, and now hes the poster child for smart ball.

Pitching-wise: its gotta be MB. He's a stopper, that's all there is too it.

davenicholson
07-14-2005, 03:36 PM
Buhrle and Podsednik, in my opinion. If you force me to stick with one, I'll go with the every day player every time, and give the White Sox Cy Young to Buehrle.

SOXfnNlansing
07-14-2005, 03:37 PM
gooch and garland:bandance:

Steakpita
07-14-2005, 03:41 PM
Joey Cora and Don Cooper.

livewir
07-14-2005, 03:47 PM
Pods , nobody can change a game like he can when is on base.

roseysnotatrufan
07-14-2005, 05:11 PM
Jon Garland is having an amazin year but hes not even the MVP of his team............Mark Buerhle is the MVP of the sox and the league