PDA

View Full Version : Parking Article

Weldzius
07-11-2005, 03:35 PM
Sox Fans,

I'm writing an article for a community newspaper, the "Gazette" about parking at U.S. Cellular Field. Apparently, some people paid to park near the currency exchange near Pershing and Wells on June 24 during the Sox-Cubs series. Their cars were towed, and they had to pay $150 tickets. If you have any first-hand experience of parking at or near the Cell, please answer these questions:

1. When you go to Sox games, where do you usually park?
2. Have you ever paid to park in an "unofficial" lot?
3. Have you ever parked on a nearby street with a residential parking pass?
4. Have you ever been ticketed or towed?
5. Do you ever use public transportation to get to Sox games?
6. Should the Sox take measures to prevent parking scams like these, or is it up to the fans to show more discretion?
7. Do the Sox need to provide more parking for the sold-out games?

If you can help me out here, please include your full name and the city or town you live in. Any information you have of parking at Sox games is appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim Weldzius
weldzius@suntimesmail.com
(773) 206-1007

maurice
07-11-2005, 04:29 PM

In my garage.

No.

Yes.

No, since I never park illegally.

Sure. I always take the Red Line or Green Line from downtown to see weekday games.

6. Should the Sox take measures to prevent parking scams like these . . . ?

No. This looks like a case of a couple of cheap and/or late rubes getting suckered.

You must be kidding. The Sox have the best parking situation in the city . . . by far. The park is surrounded by very large parking lots. They even activate "remote" lots for sold-out games. Besides, all real Sox fans know which games are going to be sold out, so they arrive early and tail-gate . . . or take public transportation.

downstairs
07-11-2005, 04:42 PM

Any lot near the park. Usually the official ones, and if not those, something very nearby.

Sure. But it has to be right there across from the park.

No, that would be stupid. And probably more difficult anyway.

No, because I park legally, and I know a scam when I see one.

No, I live in the 'burbs.

6. Should the Sox take measures to prevent parking scams like these, or is it up to the fans to show more discretion?

Of course not. Not only should someone know a scam when they see one... if you're going to a sold-out game, you have to get there very early! Like anything in life.

Of course not. Plenty of parking already. If they completely sell out, then you're on your own if you plan on getting there 10 minutes before the game.

-Christopher Falvey
Hanover Park, IL

Ol' No. 2
07-11-2005, 04:43 PM
1. When you go to Sox games, where do you usually park? B lot
2. Have you ever paid to park in an "unofficial" lot? Not for years. Last time, they used "gang" parking. It took me more than 2 hr to get out.
3. Have you ever parked on a nearby street with a residential parking pass? Years ago I used to park in the streets (before they had res. stickers).
4. Have you ever been ticketed or towed? No.
5. Do you ever use public transportation to get to Sox games? If I'm going from work (NW burbs) I'll drive to the Blue line station and ride the El.
6. Should the Sox take measures to prevent parking scams like these, or is it up to the fans to show more discretion? What can they do?
7. Do the Sox need to provide more parking for the sold-out games? The problem isn't the number of parking spaces. The problem is in traffic congestion getting to the lots. For sold-out games there is often gridlock on the streets around the park. That's why I always arrive early for those.

dcb33
07-11-2005, 04:58 PM
1. When you go to Sox games, where do you usually park? Lot G for earlybird

2. Have you ever paid to park in an "unofficial" lot? No

3. Have you ever parked on a nearby street with a residential parking pass? Yes. I have friends who live in Bridgeport and sometimes I will meet them at their place and we'll all walk to the game.

4. Have you ever been ticketed or towed? No.

5. Do you ever use public transportation to get to Sox games? Yes. I have a friend I frequently go to games with who lives on the Northside (where there are no parking restrictions) and I will meet up with her there before taking the train down to the park.

6. Should the Sox take measures to prevent parking scams like these, or is it up to the fans to show more discretion? Fans should show more discretion

7. Do the Sox need to provide more parking for the sold-out games? There is always parking available if you arrive early enough. I have never had a problem getting a space.

SpammySosa
07-11-2005, 05:01 PM
I always get to the park 1 1/2-2 hours early and take advantage of the 8.00 earlybird special in Lot G.
Nope.
No.
I never park illegally,so no reason for this to happen.
No,though I have considered taking the South Shore(I live in NW Indiana)and choosing the best transportation option available thereafter to the Cell.
Knowledgable fans and even people in general should have the common sense to avoid such scams.There are plenty of legitimate places to park and this information is easily available to those who seek it out.
I believe they provide more than enough parking.Like with many sold-out events,however,you need give yourself more than enough time to arrive-even if that means getting there early and enjoying other amenities provided by the team,or visiting local shops like Grandstand,etc.

Mike B,Valparaiso,Indiana

champagne030
07-11-2005, 05:48 PM
[QUOTE=Weldzius]Sox Fans,

I'm writing an article for a community newspaper, the "Gazette" about parking at U.S. Cellular Field. Apparently, some people paid to park near the currency exchange near Pershing and Wells on June 24 during the Sox-Cubs series. Their cars were towed, and they had to pay $150 tickets. If you have any first-hand experience of parking at or near the Cell, please answer these questions:

1. When you go to Sox games, where do you usually park? When I tailgate it's Lot E (and WAY before the game). When not, Schaller's.
2. Have you ever paid to park in an "unofficial" lot? Not at the new Stadium.
3. Have you ever parked on a nearby street with a residential parking pass? No
4. Have you ever been ticketed or towed? No
5. Do you ever use public transportation to get to Sox games? Yes
6. Should the Sox take measures to prevent parking scams like these, or is it up to the fans to show more discretion? It's up to the fans to show more discretion.
7. Do the Sox need to provide more parking for the sold-out games? No. How many more spots need to be available? They have so many more spots than any other facility in town.

Hope that helps.

GiveMeSox
07-11-2005, 06:02 PM

For Free in the streets a few blocks away.......or in a cheap pay lot a few blocks away.

Yes, there is a lot for $8 on Canal or Normal near 31st!

Nope, but I hear you can get em from some local neighborhood establishments nearby if you have a drink or two.

No, i work for IDOT and know whats legal and whats not.

Sometimes, if im coming from somewhere in the city (friends, relatives, etc).

6. Should the Sox take measures to prevent parking scams like these . . . ?

Depends on if where these people parked was a legal and open spot. You cant tow if there is no signage that posts where it is legal or not to park!

Not really people just need to be smarter and logical. Its unfortunate that these cubs sox games a bunch of cubs fans come in and dont know that there is extra sox parking at IIT with a free shuttle. Do a little research!

Chips
07-11-2005, 06:24 PM

I usually park on the street since I got my residential parking pass, but before that I parked in Lot G, taking advantage of the $8 early special.

No.

Yes.

No

I did once before I was old enough to drive.

Up to the fans.

There is more parking at the Cell than other place I have ever seen.

SOXfnNlansing
07-11-2005, 07:17 PM
1. When you go to Sox games, where do you usually park? I usually park at a local tavern and they give me a parking pass. I go there almost every game and have a few beers before the game and maybe one after.
2. Have you ever paid to park in an "unofficial" lot? I never pay to park.
3. Have you ever parked on a nearby street with a residential parking pass? I've parked on Wallace before, between 35th and 31st.
4. Have you ever been ticketed or towed? I got a ticket once but never paid it ( a long time ago)
5. Do you ever use public transportation to get to Sox games? Only to see the Sox play at cubs
6. Should the Sox take measures to prevent parking scams like these, or is it up to the fans to show more discretion? It's up to fans; personal responsibility
No, there is ample parking. There is a nice lot 38th and Princeton that alot of fans don't know about. Mike in Lansing IL

Sad
07-12-2005, 07:25 AM
Carroll Ave, Michigan City, South Shore station when using train or Lot G (early bird) if driving

no

no

no

many times... South Shore to Roosevelt Road-
Green or Red Line to 35th

fans

no... not sure how they could...
people that arrive 30 min before game get what they get

voodoochile
07-12-2005, 08:44 AM
Gonna write the one about Wrigley next week?

thepaulbowski
07-12-2005, 12:45 PM

On the Street

No, but there are a few "unofficial" lots in the neighborhood that are legit ie. 35th & Emerald.

Yes, I live in the neighborhood

No, I have a parking sticker in my window.

Yes, when coming straight from work.

This is a legal issue of misrepresentation (between alleged attendant & the people who had their car towed) and has nothing to do with the White Sox.

The Sox do a fine job of providing shuttle buses and giving updates on the radio when games are sold out. Tune into the White Sox pregame show on the radio and they give updates on parking as game time gets closer.

Paul Harrison
Chicago

thepaulbowski
07-12-2005, 01:03 PM
Gonna write the one about Wrigley next week?

I think the Gazette is a near South & West side publication.

na_na_na_na
07-12-2005, 04:14 PM

Before I moved to Bridgeport I would park in the official lot on the north side of 37th street.

Yes, I have several times. You often get boxed in but is a cheap alternative.

Yes, now that I live in Bridgeport I do every game. Also my family and friends stop by for passes before the games.

No and no one I know has(one even parked on the street with no pass during a cubs/sox game).

Yes, before I lived within walking distance I would take the redline south from the north side. It is a great way to get to the game. When I was growing up on the Southwest side we used to ride the bus to games. I have heard many positive comments about taking the Green line to the game also. The newly proposed Metra stop should make public transportation to US Cellular Field even better. It will open up public transportation to people living in the far south suburbs. This will make one of the most accessible ballparks in baseball, the most accessible.

This would largely be a waste of time for the sox, as scams like these are very out of the ordinary. I have been going to games for my entire life and never heard of this happening to anyone. It is not the White Sox's job to stop this. Like with ticket scalping, unauthorized t-shirt selling and illegal vending outside the park the Chicago Police can handle it.

The White Sox would be better served in educating fans on the benefits of taking the Red and Green lines to the games. This would not only prevent the most convenient lots for filling up quickly but reduce congestion around the park.

US Cellular Field already provides a massive amount of parking within 2 blocks of the gate that includes a great atmosphere for tailgating. In the event that the lots are full they shuttle people from the IIT campus lots that are only 5 blocks away. Overall I find there parking policy, availability, and pricing to be competitive with any sporting venue in America.

I think you can tell from my answers that I think the getting to US Cellular Field is an easy experience. I cannot emphasis this enough. I haven't encountered a stadium with more convenient transportation options.