PDA

View Full Version : Here Through August

balke
07-11-2005, 04:24 PM
The Sox have been great all season, no question. After the All-Star Break will be very telling as to how good the Sox are. There's a lot of tough series coming up, and I'm very excited.

If you don't know the schedule goes:

4 @ Cleveland (the hitting has picked up)
3 v. Detroit (Maggs is back, and his leg surprisingly hasn't collapsed yet)
4 v. Boston (W/ Schilling Back)
3 @ KC (Mike Sweeney is Back... okay, they still suck)
4 @ Baltimore (Bedard likely back by then)
3 v. Toronto (easier w/o Halladay)
3 v. Seattle
3 @ Yanks
3 @ Boston
3 V. Minny
3 V. Yanks
3 @ Minny
3 @ Seattle
3 @ Texas

5 off days in that time period.

I have a lot of confidence in the Sox, but here's a great chance to either attract or defeat the dark clouds. Not too many easy games are coming up, and pretty much the cream of the crop in the A.L. will be in that mix. Thankfully, no more Oakland. Hopefully the Sox can cruise through these games taking 2 of 3 like normal. I'll have a panic attack otherwise. Baseball is anything but predictable.

RallyBowl
07-11-2005, 06:31 PM
the good thing is that the sox have the best road record (I think) in baseball. we're gonna have to play tough with trips to boston, ny, texas, and twinks. it's going to be interesting to see how the rest of the season pans out. you know what though? no one on this schedule scares me. I think we are fully capable of taking 2 of 3 and 2 of 4 in every one of these series. If we do, it will be amazing. here's to a dominant second half!

patbooyah
07-11-2005, 06:39 PM
i'll be happy when that stretch is over.

the sox will still be in first and the A's will still be out of first.

Ol' No. 2
07-11-2005, 06:43 PM
The Sox have been great all season, no question. After the All-Star Break will be very telling as to how good the Sox are. There's a lot of tough series coming up, and I'm very excited.

If you don't know the schedule goes:

4 @ Cleveland (the hitting has picked up)
3 v. Seattle
3 @ Yanks
3 @ Boston
3 V. Minny
3 V. Yanks
3 @ Minny
3 @ Seattle
3 @ Texas

5 off days in that time period.

I have a lot of confidence in the Sox, but here's a great chance to either attract or defeat the dark clouds. Not too many easy games are coming up, and pretty much the cream of the crop in the A.L. will be in that mix. Thankfully, no more Oakland. Hopefully the Sox can cruise through these games taking 2 of 3 like normal. I'll have a panic attack otherwise. Baseball is anything but predictable.They're making up the rainout with Texas, so there are 4 games there. Total 46. If they can win 26 of those, I'll be satisfied. 30 would be excellent. But it's critical to win at least 4 of the 6 win the Twinks. I hope Brett Boone doesn't hurt us too badly.

patbooyah
07-11-2005, 06:44 PM
of those teams in other divisions, only boston, new york and texas have winning records against the central.

chisoxmike
07-11-2005, 07:02 PM
The Sox HAVE to win 4 or 5 against the Twins in August. The Twins always show up in the second half, especially against our Sox, we'll see what happens. I sure love that 9 game lead we have right now.

bigfoot
07-11-2005, 07:02 PM
[QUOTE=balke]The Sox have been great all season, no question. ...... and I'm very excited.

Cleveland (the hitting has picked up)
3 v. Seattle
3 @ Yanks
3 @ Boston
3 V. Minny
3 V. Yanks
3 @ Minny
3 @ Seattle
3 @ Texas

Shouldn't all these teams be worried that the Sox will ruin their playoff hopes? Or do you think they'd be happier playing KC/D-Rays?

Chips
07-11-2005, 07:13 PM
We have set our expectations so high right now that we need to win at least 2 of 3 in every series with a few sweeps to keep up the great first half. Anything less than a World Series would seem to be a disappointment considering that seems to be the thoughts of most people.

Lip Man 1
07-11-2005, 09:38 PM
Chips:

I can't speak for anyone else but my expectations are to make the playoffs, win a series and win a home game. If they do that, even if they don't make the series, considering the year they will have had, would be amazing.

Lip

Optipessimism
07-11-2005, 11:42 PM
I hope Brett Boone doesn't hurt us too badly.

I don't necessarily believe that Boone will turn it around in Minny, but it wouldn't surprise me. It seems like Seattle, for one reason or another, is a place where nobody can hit a lick except Ichiro. Look at the way Carols Guillen turned it around right after leaving.

fquaye149
07-12-2005, 12:28 AM
I guess you have a point...but I'm getting a little sick of people saying certain stretches are going to determine how our season goes...and then as soon as they end it's a new stretch.

First it was opening against divisional opponenets, then it was the west coast road trip, then it was the month of june, then it was the cub series, then it was rebounding in detroit. Now it's now through august. Sorry. I don't buy it. All I'm worried about right now is

a.) how we play the last two weeks going into the playoffs
b.) how we play in the playoffs

i wish there were a shallow pink...but the point is, while this stretch isn't meaningless...it's no more meaningful than any other stretch we've played except for the fact that it is happening right now.

Ok bye bye.

kevingrt
07-12-2005, 01:46 AM
i'll be happy when that stretch is over.

the sox will still be in first and the A's will still be out of first.

I'll be happy when I see White Sox baseball on in October with Thom Brennaman announcing on FOX. I would be very very happy!

IowaSox1971
07-12-2005, 03:36 AM
We do not have the division wrapped up at all. The schedule is really going to test us. I have no idea how we will match up with Boston and New York, because those teams are similar to Oakland, in that they have a lot of patient hitters. Boston and the Yankees both can score a lot of runs, and I can't see us winning too many 2-1 or 3-2 games against them. If we go .500 against Boston and New York, I'll be happy.

South Sider
07-13-2005, 02:20 AM
I've just clicked to the brutal Sox schedule in August.
Man.....this will be a tough month. One of the toughest in recent years

8/1 at BAL
8/2-8/4 vs SEA
8/5-8/7 vs TOR
8/8 - 8/10 at NYY
8/12 - 8/14 at BOS
8/15-8/17 vs MIN
8/19-8/21 vs NYY
8/23-8/25 at MIN
8/26-8/28 at SEA (West Coast !!!!)
8/29-8/31 at TEX

If we could finish the August games at .500 or better (like June 2000) and are still in 1st place than we have a pretty good chance to win the AL Central

But August will be the month of the truth.

Chisox003
07-13-2005, 02:22 AM
2 out of the first 3 series that you dont have bolded are tough too...Baltimore and Toronto are gonna be tough, both feel they are still in the wild card/division race

August will be tough, but KW will be finding some help very, very soon....

South Sider
07-13-2005, 02:26 AM
2 out of the first 3 series that you dont have bolded are tough too...Baltimore and Toronto are gonna be tough, both feel they are still in the wild card/division race

August will be tough, but KW will be finding some help very, very soon....

I know.....there is not a single "easy" game in August.
I just bolded the games vs big name teams (plus Twinkies :D: )

Stretch
07-13-2005, 02:27 AM
Last time I checked the Yankees were bad with 3/5 starters on the DL, Baltimore is fading, Toronto is a .500 team, Seattle flat out sucks, Sox have beaten Minn this year, Red Sox are good but not as good as last year, and Texas will beat them at home and vice versa on the road......in other words no worries.

My prediction= Sox play .550 ball in august

Lip Man 1
07-13-2005, 02:55 AM
No question it's going to be tough...need to have at least a six game lead starting it to be safe.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
07-13-2005, 03:02 AM
The Sox HAVE to win 4 or 5 against the Twins in August.Nonsense. The pressure is on the Twins. With a split, the Twins gain no ground, and six more games are off the schedule.

hawkjt
07-13-2005, 02:01 PM
The twins start off with 4 against the angels and then 3 in Baltimore with Bedard facing them monday. We need to come out smoking and the twins could go down against the tough angels and o's. We could lead by 12 by this time next week.

Ben Lang
07-13-2005, 03:57 PM
If we take care of business, as we have been, against the Indians and Tigers and play .500 against everyone else the Twins won't come within 10 games of the Sox.

SoxSpeed22
07-13-2005, 04:06 PM
This is definitely not gonna be easy. But this is our prove it or lose it point of the season.