PDA

View Full Version : The British Flag Flying at USC

LVSoxFan
07-11-2005, 04:07 PM
Anybody else notice this? I thought: nice touch. Things like that make me proud to be a Sox fan. That, and everybody's sense of humor still intact after the three-game loss.

But I just thought this was great. For those of you who might have missed it it was on the top of the first pole to the right of the Lite beer sign, flying over the Chicago city flag.

Madvora
07-11-2005, 04:12 PM
The Union Jack.
Is it at half staff, or all the way up?

miker
07-11-2005, 04:13 PM
Anybody else notice this? I thought: nice touch. Things like that make me proud to be a Sox fan. That, and everybody's sense of humor still intact after the three-game loss.

But I just thought this was great. For those of you who might have missed it it was on the top of the first pole to the right of the Lite beer sign, flying over the Chicago city flag.

Good to hear. The people of the UK need some support right now.

LVSoxFan
07-11-2005, 04:20 PM
It was all the way up.

Probably you put flags at half staff when they're always flying; it would've looked weird at half staff on this pole.

There it was though; somebody obviously climbed up and put it on there.

Nice touch.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-11-2005, 04:23 PM
My GF pointed it out to me. It was very cool to see and show solidarity with our British brothers.

Blob
07-11-2005, 04:32 PM
I saw it on Sunday, nice gesture by the Sox. But, the British flag was flying as high as the U.S. flag. Unless the pole it was on was a little shorter than the other, but it did not look like it. Shouldn't the U.S. flag be higher than all the others?

spiffie
07-11-2005, 04:39 PM
They also had a moment of silence before the game on Friday to remember the victims of that heinous attack.

Goose
07-11-2005, 05:01 PM
I saw it on Sunday, nice gesture by the Sox. But, the British flag was flying as high as the U.S. flag. Unless the pole it was on was a little shorter than the other, but it did not look like it. Shouldn't the U.S. flag be higher than all the others?

When there are 2 or more National flags, each flag should be on its own staff, and all of equal hight (and should be the same size). What you're thinking of is when the US flag is flying with other flags of States, city, etc. Then the US flag should be on the highest staff.

Baby Fisk
07-11-2005, 05:09 PM
The Union Jack was clearly visible on TV during the Oakland games. Very, very nice touch! :cool:

Southsider101
07-11-2005, 05:48 PM
I attended the the Saturday and Sunday games and it was one of the first things I noticed it as I entered the 100 level from the 35th St side. Nice move by the Sox in solidarity with the UK. Were there any comments on the TV side?

Baby Fisk
07-11-2005, 05:50 PM
Were there any comments on the TV side?
I had the Oakland feed (MLB Extra Innings) for the game where they showed the flag. The Oakland announcers suck huge so I put the sound down and cranked the stereo instead.

So.ILSoxFan
07-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Just a thought

Do you think if they had put the actual flag of England...
http://www.flags.com/images/ae/englandlg.gif
...anyone would have known what it was?

Anyway, a very nice gesture by the Sox:smile:

Blueprint1
07-11-2005, 06:35 PM
I am not a big fan of the Union Jack. I do feel for the people of England right now I would rather have seen an English flag.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-11-2005, 06:49 PM
Just a thought

Anyway, a very nice gesture by the Sox:smile:

Honestly, not many would have known it, but with the Union Jack up it conveyed the message well.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-11-2005, 09:33 PM
When there are 2 or more National flags, each flag should be on its own staff, and all of equal hight (and should be the same size). What you're thinking of is when the US flag is flying with other flags of States, city, etc. Then the US flag should be on the highest staff.

Not quite. The U.S. flag is to be displayed on a higher staff to all other flags anywhere inside U.S. territory, including our embassies overseas. If all the staffs are of the same height, the U.S. flag is to be displayed in the position of honor, defined as its own right.

Both Old Glory and the Union Jack are raised full staff at Sox Park, but the U.S. flag is displayed on the left (its own right) as is proper. They are to be raised and lowered simultaneously and always the first raised and last lowered of all the flags displayed. Both the Illinois and Chicago flags are flown beneath the Union Jack. Again, this is proper display etiquette. Read more here (http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html).

I agree with everyone else that it is a nice gesture by the Sox to show solidarity with the U.K. government and the British people. I must also add that the Union Jack is a striking design and looks quite nice waving inside Sox Park.

:thumbsup:

PaleHoseGeorge
07-11-2005, 09:57 PM
Just a thought

The Cross of St. George is the flag of England, one of the "home nations" of the United Kingdom. It is NOT the national flag of the United Kingdom.

Today the Cross of St. George is mostly displayed at international soccer tournaments because each of the UK's home nations (England, Scotland, Wales, and N. Ireland) is recognized as a separate country by the international soccer associations, FIFA and UEFA.

I doubt most Americans know the difference between "England" and "United Kingdom," a depressing state of affairs because they, by definition, can't understand what makes the U.S. unique for never having demeaned with the label "colonist" the rights of any of the residents of the 37 states (including Illinois) that were NOT part of the original 13 claiming independence in 1776. Citizens of Australia, Canada, New Zealand and every other nation of the the "commonwealth" (nee "empire") still struggle to define their national identity. Queen Elizabeth is *still* the constitutional sovereign over every Canadian! Think about that. Just one more thing we Americans take for granted...

flo-B-flo
07-11-2005, 10:31 PM
The Cross of St. George is the flag of England, one of the "home nations" of the United Kingdom. It is NOT the national flag of the United Kingdom.

Today the Cross of St. George is mostly displayed at international soccer tournaments because each of the UK's home nations (England, Scotland, Wales, and N. Ireland) are recognized as separate countries by the international soccer associations, FIFA and UEFA.

I doubt most Americans know the difference between "England" and "United Kingdom," a depressing state of affairs because they, by definition, can't understand what makes the U.S. unique for never having demeaned with the label "colonist" the rights of any of the residents of the 37 states (including Illinois) that were NOT part of the original 13 claiming independence in 1776. Citizens of Australia, Canada, New Zealand and every other nation of the the "commonwealth" (nee "empire") still struggle to define their national identity. Queen Elizabeth is *still* the constitutional sovereign over every Canadian! Think about that. Just one more thing we Americans take for granted... You know I wish more folk knew these differences and WHY America is so unique. The whole "royal family" thing Has always resulted in a sneer with me. As a free man, NO ONE is my king. That said - written - the Briitish have a LONG history of bravery. This will be no different. And the Sox flying their flag is yet another example of how this year everything we touch is turning into good.

gobears1987
07-12-2005, 12:57 AM
The Union Jack.
Is it at half staff, or all the way up?
I don't know. The Union Jack is a nice flag, but I love the Royal Navy's White Ensign. It's almost as cool as the US Navy's naval jack, which is now the "Don't tread on me" flag.

chisoxfanatic
07-12-2005, 01:22 AM
Two dumb chicks behind me at Saturday's game asked each other "Why is Great Britain's flag flying there?"

And these were the same two dumb chicks that had the following exchange:

Dumb Chick 1: "Why were no POINTS put up on the board?"
Dumb Chick 2: "Because the ball didn't get on the right side of that GOALPOST!"

I just about smacked myself in the head after hearing both dumb comments in the span of about five minutes!

Goose
07-12-2005, 10:25 AM

Look for the jaundice yellow in their eyes and when you see them yell:

THE CUB FANS ARE COMING!
THE CUB FANS ARE COMING!

itsnotrequired
07-19-2005, 05:38 PM
Sorry for the pointless bump but the flag was still flying there last night. It took me a while to finally realize why it was there (I hadn't seen it during the Oakland series).

Eddie Gaedel
07-19-2005, 05:48 PM
You know I wish more folk knew these differences and WHY America is so unique. The whole "royal family" thing Has always resulted in a sneer with me. As a free man, NO ONE is my king. That said - written - the Briitish have a LONG history of bravery. This will be no different. And the Sox flying their flag is yet another example of how this year everything we touch is turning into good.

the King of England could just walk in here any time he wants, and start shoving you around. Do you want that? Huh? Do you?

scottjanssens
07-19-2005, 05:54 PM
I wonder how many know that the Union Jack is a combination of the Cross of St. George (England), Cross of St. Andrew (Scotland), and Cross St. Patrick (Ireland).

SoxEd
07-19-2005, 05:57 PM
I loove my 2005 White Sox... :D:

Does anyone have a link to any picture of my country's flag flying at USCF?

I'd really like to get hold of that.

scottjanssens
07-19-2005, 06:03 PM

Ah, so you can answer my Union Jack question, namely why did/does Wales get the shaft on the flag?

PaleHoseGeorge
07-19-2005, 06:04 PM
I wonder how many know that the Union Jack is a combination of the Cross of St. George (England), Cross of St. Andrew (Scotland), and Cross St. Patrick (Ireland).

No love for Wales or the Red Dragon.
:wink:

http://fotw.vexillum.com/images/g/gb-wales.gif

PaleHoseGeorge
07-19-2005, 06:10 PM
Ah, so you can answer my Union Jack question, namely why did/does Wales get the shaft on the flag?

How many other White Sox fan sites could provide the answer to your question inside of 10 minutes?

Sox Fans, who loves ya baby? (http://fotw.vexillum.com/flags/gb-wales.html)

It's a "principality", not a "kingdom." The English marched in there nearly 1000 years ago and so the Welsh have been reduced to raising sheep for most of a millennium.

"What, you expect us to put YOUR dragon on OUR flag?"

scottjanssens
07-19-2005, 06:21 PM
"What, you expect us to put YOUR dragon on OUR flag?"

I'm firmly of the opinion that every dragonless flag would be improved by the addition of a dragon.

Speaking of flags, I've been seeing a lot of Sox flags popping up in suburbia.

SoxEd
07-19-2005, 06:22 PM

Because Wales was invaded and 'pacified' by Edward I (http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/timelines/england/emid_edwardi_wales_scot.shtml) (aka 'Longshanks' - he's the nasty English king in Mel Gibson's Braveheart), who reduced it to the status of a Principality (as opposed to a Nation or Country) in the last years of the 13th Century and first years of the 14th Century.

As part of the settlement to stop any further rebellions, he is said to have promised the Welsh a 'Welsh-born Prince, untainted by the English tongue' as their ruler.
He then proceeded to set his own son over them, who had indeed been born in Wales (on one of Longshanks' campaigns) and, being about six months old, was as yet unable to speak English.

Although Scotland and Northern Ireland still have their own legal systems, Wales is combined with England for legal matters.

For Cricketing purposes, they are represented by the England and Wales Cricket team - which is usually shortened to just 'England', and whose governing body is called the ECB.

They have their own Football (soccer) League though, which is a member body of both UEFA and FIFA, so they compete in the World Cup and European Championships as a separate team, and their Champions (currently a village team called Total Network Solutions), get to qualify for the UEFA Champions League.
(Interestingly, in the qualifying tournaments for next year's World Cup, Northern Ireland and Wales are both in the same Group as England. Those matches will be 'fun'...)

I really like the Welsh flag, but it's hard to see how we'd incorporate it in to the Union Flag.:o:

Imagine trying to draw it in school- ach y fi!
It's already hard enough to get it right now (check the details of the diagonals).
Actually, if you're from Hawaii, I guess you know this already, as our flag is still on your State's.

Mark
07-19-2005, 06:29 PM
Is it myth or truth that the Union Jack design was originally conceived by an English schoolboy scribbling in art class? I thought I read that somewhere once.

scottjanssens
07-19-2005, 06:29 PM
He then proceeded to set his own son over them, who had indeed been born in Wales (on one of Longshanks' campaigns) and, being about six months old, was as yet unable to speak English.

Ha!

Mohoney
07-19-2005, 06:31 PM
No love for Wales or the Red Dragon.

http://fotw.vexillum.com/images/g/gb-wales.gif

I always thought that this flag, Bhutan's flag, and Nepal's flag were among the coolest in the world.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-19-2005, 06:49 PM
I really like the Welsh flag, but it's hard to see how we'd incorporate it in to the Union Flag.

Pfft... just paste a big giant red dragon right over the top of the crosses. That ought to appease them in Cardiff.

But seriously, there is a simple elegance and purity to the Union Jack's design that would be spoiled by adding anything as garish as a red dragon. There is simply no accounting for taste...

It reminds me of the Sox Fans around here who want to spoil the most perfect uniform in all of baseball by adding red accents to the current Sox uniform. My Gawd...
:o:

Daver
07-19-2005, 07:13 PM
It reminds me of the Sox Fans around here who want to spoil the most perfect uniform in all of baseball by adding red accents to the current Sox uniform. My Gawd...
:o:

I happen to like the red Sox uni's.

Reminds me of Dick Allen.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-19-2005, 07:29 PM
I happen to like the red Sox uni's.

Reminds me of Dick Allen.

Hey, the red pinstripes are my favorite nostalgia Sox uniform, too. Allen, Melton, and Wood looked great wearing those red Adidas. Very cool for 1971...

But I'm talking about ideas to add a bit of red to the existing black and white Sox uniforms. It would ruin the monochromatic effect of this classy uniform design.

Black and white. Simple and classic. Leave it alone. Fits well with a team named the WHITE Sox.
:cool:

gaelhound
07-19-2005, 10:51 PM
Two dumb chicks behind me at Saturday's game asked each other "Why is Great Britain's flag flying there?"

I just about smacked myself in the head after hearing both dumb comments in the span of about five minutes!
For the love of God fanatic! This was your chance to put on a fake limey accent and tell the ladies you were Prince William! You should have bought a round and invited them to a little repast at the royal suite!:tongue:

whitesoxwilkes
07-19-2005, 11:05 PM
I loove my 2005 White Sox... :D:

I'd really like to get hold of that.

I snapped one last weekend, but it was with my cell phone from my seats and no breeze...so it looks like s**te, as you Brits might say. I'll be at the games Thursday and all weekend. If the wind is blowing and the Union Jack is still flying, I'd be delighted to get one for you.

So.ILSoxFan
07-19-2005, 11:29 PM
You know what's amazing?

The intelligence of some people on this site. At the risk of hijacking the thread, I doubt you'd find many threads like this on a Flubs site...

Nice to see that those who think choose the right team :D:

Viva Medias B's
07-25-2005, 12:29 AM
You know, I did not notice the Union Jack until this past Friday. And I was at the first home game after the July 7 London bombings when they played "God Save the Queen" before "The Star-Spangled Banner."

With the flying of the Union Jack at USCF, I was wondering if we could use this in the future to salute Chicago ethnic groups on certain days. For example, they could fly the flag of Mexico on Mexican Independence Day (September 16) or Cinco de Mayo. And they could fly the flag of Poland on a key day or the flag of Ireland when the Sox have the "halfway to St. Patrick's Day" celebration.

scottjanssens
07-25-2005, 12:55 AM
Here are photos of the Union Jack flying over Comiskey on 7/24/2005 (or 24/7/2005 if it's actually your flag). Click to enlarge.

http://www.scottj.net/images/misc/thumb_ComiskeyUnionJack1.JPG (http://www.scottj.net/images/misc/ComiskeyUnionJack1.JPG) http://www.scottj.net/images/misc/thumb_ComiskeyUnionJack2.JPG (http://www.scottj.net/images/misc/ComiskeyUnionJack2.JPG)

ThatGuyOnTheL
07-25-2005, 01:21 AM
You know what's amazing?

The intelligence of some people on this site. At the risk of hijacking the thread, I doubt you'd find many threads like this on a Flubs site...

Nice to see that those who think choose the right team :D:

You're right - it is pretty amazing. After all, we're the uneducated and unintelligent fans in this city.

I want Mags back
07-25-2005, 09:11 PM

Also, the home country's flag is always on the left, as it is on the left end of the scoreboard and the British flag is on the right. I learned this at camp where the Israeli flag is on the right and the US on the left