PDA

View Full Version : Potential Playoff Opponents

Procol Harum
07-11-2005, 11:09 AM
Of the following, which strikes greater fear in your heart as a potential cause for concern in the playoffs?

RKMeibalane
07-11-2005, 11:09 AM
Of the following, which strikes greater fear in your heart as a potential death-blow in the playoffs?

Uhhh... where's the beef?

Baby Fisk
07-11-2005, 11:17 AM
e) neurotic Sox fans writhing in an orgy of self-doubt and loathing from now until October. :unsure:

...but the national TV collapse is good too. Collapses are scary.

spiffie
07-11-2005, 11:39 AM
I fear nothing that does not come from Oakland. We can beat any other team, AL or NL, in a 5 or 7 game series. Heads up, I feel like our pitching can get us as far as we can dream. But Oakland...they frighten me. They are managed by Voldemort and have Sauron as their GM, that's the kind of evil magic they use on us.

Chisox353014
07-11-2005, 11:48 AM
The main thing that scares me is staying healthy, especially the starters. I don't want a repeat of 2000 when Jim Parque was starting Game 1 because he was our only healthy pitcher.

fquaye149
07-11-2005, 11:59 AM
f.) the minnesota twins.

ma_deuce
07-11-2005, 12:05 PM
:threadblows:

I fear that we haven't won the division yet and people are fearing the playoffs. After the last four seasons, I'll be ecstatic to simply get to the post-season. Then, I'll worry about winning in them...

tschneid83
07-11-2005, 12:57 PM
I fear that we haven't won the division yet and people are fearing the playoffs. After the last four seasons, I'll be ecstatic to simply get to the post-season. Then, I'll worry about winning in them...

I to will be happy when we are playing in october........ and the last two regualr season games vs the indians don't count

RallyBowl
07-11-2005, 01:16 PM
e) neurotic Sox fans writhing in an orgy of self-doubt and loathing from now until October. :unsure:

...but the national TV collapse is good too. Collapses are scary.
NICE

kittle545feet
07-11-2005, 01:32 PM
Why isn't making the playoffs a choice? We have won nothing. Let's remember that but enjoy the season. :cool:

Cowhead418
07-11-2005, 09:37 PM
I sure as hell don't want to play the White Sox.

MIgrenade
07-11-2005, 11:07 PM
I sure as hell don't want to play the White Sox.

There's a lot of teams that are thinking that right now, which is nice.
Unfortunately I am scared of everything in the playoffs. I haven't seen enough of them to get used to it.

IowaSox1971
07-12-2005, 02:40 AM
We're not in the playoffs yet, and thinking that we're automatically going to be in them is a big, big mistake. The Twins just acquired Bret Boone, who could give their offense a big lift, and Santana usually is an unhittable second-half pitcher. We're not a lock by any means.

doublem23
07-12-2005, 04:07 AM
Ask me again after I've seen the Sox play Boston and New York.

Of all the possible first round opponents, I'd rank them like this right now, in terms of ease for the Sox to win...

1) Baltimore - Aside from B.J. Ryan, this team has NO pitching and a much meaker offense than the Rangers.
2) Texas - Rogers is good and the offense is scary when clicking, but after Kenny their pitching is thin. I doubt they'll make it, anyway.
3) Oakland - Yes, I know about recent history, but I think this year, that first series in Oakland was crap and these past two have just been us catching the A's at a bad time. I still contend that they are a fairly mediocre team and I doubt they will even make the post-season.
4) New York - Lot of post-season experience on this team, but that pitching staff is questionable at best, and when their offense isn't working, boy, it is not working.
5) Boston - Defending champs; again, questionable pitching staff and powerful offense.
6) Los Angeles - The only other legitimate contender to the Sox for best team in the American League. Very good pitching staff, solid line-up, well managed. I really do not want to see this team in October.

downstairs
07-12-2005, 07:56 AM
Playoffs are just too much about the hot team winning. So I suppose my worry is not any other team, but how hot/cold or prepared/unprepared we are.

BNLSox
07-12-2005, 10:46 AM
I fear nothing that does not come from Oakland...they frighten me. They are managed by Voldemort and have Sauron as their GM, that's the kind of evil magic they use on us.

Ahh, now it is clear why their dark magic seems to overwhelm us. Great Post!!

BNLSox
07-12-2005, 10:50 AM
Ask me again after I've seen the Sox play Boston and New York.

Of all the possible first round opponents, I'd rank them like this right now, in terms of ease for the Sox to win...

1) Baltimore - Aside from B.J. Ryan, this team has NO pitching and a much meaker offense than the Rangers.
2) Texas - Rogers is good and the offense is scary when clicking, but after Kenny their pitching is thin. I doubt they'll make it, anyway.
3) Oakland - Yes, I know about recent history, but I think this year, that first series in Oakland was crap and these past two have just been us catching the A's at a bad time. I still contend that they are a fairly mediocre team and I doubt they will even make the post-season.
4) New York - Lot of post-season experience on this team, but that pitching staff is questionable at best, and when their offense isn't working, boy, it is not working.
5) Boston - Defending champs; again, questionable pitching staff and powerful offense.
6) Los Angeles - The only other legitimate contender to the Sox for best team in the American League. Very good pitching staff, solid line-up, well managed. I really do not want to see this team in October.

First off, great and well thought out post! Secondly, I know we caught Anaheim when they were a bit depleated, but I figured since we were down Big Frank it was about even and we won our 7 game series with them 4-3. They don't scare me as much as a hot Boston, a hot NY, or (said trembling) Oakland......

What are your thoughts on facing the Twinks or Indians in the post?

SillyChiSoxChick
07-12-2005, 11:03 PM
I fear nothing that does not come from Oakland. We can beat any other team, AL or NL, in a 5 or 7 game series. Heads up, I feel like our pitching can get us as far as we can dream. But Oakland...they frighten me. They are managed by Voldemort and have Sauron as their GM, that's the kind of evil magic they use on us.

I would definetly have to agree. The A's are very scary indeed, but we can do it, I know it.