PDA

View Full Version : The best and worst baseball cities (Houston Chronicle)

Fenway
07-11-2005, 03:12 PM
Baseball writer for the Houston Chronicle ranks the best and worst baseball cities.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3259832

TOP FIVE

1. Boston
• Fans: 10 (on scale of 1-10)
• Ballpark: 10
• Passion: 10
They correlate moments in their lives with the latest Red Sox game. Does that tell you something?

2. St. Louis
• Fans: 9
• Ballpark: 6
• Passion: 9
It's the place almost every baseball player wants to play. Those who have played other places, such as Mark McGwire and J.D. Drew, say it's the best environment on earth. Cardinals fans are every bit as interested in their team as Red Sox fans are in theirs. The difference is they're nicer in St. Louis.

3. New York
• Fans: 8
• Ballparks: 6
• Passion: 9
There's no place like Yankee Stadium in October when the place is packed and the fans are loud. Ovations sound like thunderclaps. When something special happens, there's a buzz that lingers for two innings. Even Shea Stadium, which is old and crummy, has a special feel when the crowds are large. The difference is that New York isn't really a baseball town. It's a sports town.

4. Cincinnati
• Fans: 7
• Ballpark: 9
• Passion: 6
Cincinnati is one of those cities where baseball is and always will be No. 1. They come out in decent numbers to see bad teams. If the Reds ever got good again, they'd pack the joint.

5. Chicago
• Fans: 3
• Ballparks: 8
• Passion: 8
They're loud. They come out in large numbers. And they care. Sometimes, though, it seems they're doing it because they think they're supposed to be doing it. They're doing it because they know New Yorkers are doing it. If the Cubs or White Sox lose, they shake it off pretty quickly.BOTTOM FIVE

1. Tampa-
St. Pete
• Fans: 0
• Ballpark: 0
• Passion: 0
There's an asterisk that should go beside any mention of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. The asterisk is the fact we'll never know if baseball could have made it in Tampa-St. Pete. From the beginning, the Devil Rays have had the worst owner and the most bumbling general manager in the game. Maybe fans wouldn't have come out anyway. But these guys all but hung a ''No reason to come here" sign.

2. Atlanta
• Fans: 1
• Ballpark: 5
• Passion: 1
Unlike some other cities in the bottom five, Braves fans can't say: ''I'll care again when they get good." The Braves have been really good for a long time, and even though they draw 2 million fans most years, they draw the most apathetic 2 million fans in sports. They tell you they'll care again when the Braves mix in another championship with all those division crowns. But they won't.

3. Miami
• Ballpark: 5
• Passion: 2
Baseball in South Florida was a terrible idea. The Marlins say they need a new ballpark, but in truth, fans don't really care about the game. They prefer the tracks, jai alai and the Dolphins.

4. Pittsburgh
• Ballpark: 7
• Passion: 1
Don't say fans in Pittsburgh don't care because the team stinks. Fans in Pittsburgh never have cared. They didn't care much in the Roberto Clemente years, and they didn't care in the Barry Bonds years. They care about their Steelers. Baseball is an occasional diversion.

5. Phoenix
• Ballpark: 6
• Passion: 3
Someone convinced someone that baseball in Phoenix was a good idea. Someone was wrong. Fans came for a couple of years, but then the new wore off. They haven't come back.

RKMeibalane
07-11-2005, 03:14 PM
Whoever thinks that Sox fans shake off a loss quickly has never seen this board after a day like yesterday.

SOXSINCE'70
07-11-2005, 03:27 PM
Whoever thinks that Sox fans shake off a loss quickly has never seen this board after a day like yesterday.

Either that,or they're a :dtroll: :dtroll:

Fenway
07-11-2005, 03:33 PM

Agreed

I liked how he described Boston. IMHO he nailed what we are.

They do it because their fathers did it. And their grandfathers. They do it because they were raised to believe baseball mattered.

veeter
07-11-2005, 04:06 PM
I e-mailed the guy who wrote the blurb and said he doesn't know Chicago baseball. That Sox fans lose sleep over losses at at times. I also said to find out about Sox fans I have three words: WhiteSoxInteractive

Madvora
07-11-2005, 04:15 PM
I don't like the idea of being lumped in with Cubs fans. That way if they rip on Chicago baseball fans, I kind of agree and I'm kind of pissed at the same time.

The Racehorse
07-11-2005, 04:18 PM
Baseball in South Florida was a terrible idea. The Marlins say they need a new ballpark, but in truth, fans don't really care about the game. They prefer the tracks, jai alai and the Dolphins.

jai alai? lol.

Fenway
07-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Tampa being ranked the worst makes sense. If ever a team should be put out of its misery it is the Fighting Seaweed.

Soxzilla
07-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Every Red Sox fan I've met, with the exception of Fenway, has been a prick.

And Fenway Park sucks.

So there.

EDIT - Same goes for Yankees fans.

maurice
07-11-2005, 05:17 PM
1. Boston
Ballpark: 10
. . .
4. Cincinnati
Ballpark: 9
. . .
5. Chicago
Fans: 3
. . .
Sometimes, though, it seems they're doing it because they think they're supposed to be doing it. They're doing it because they know New Yorkers are doing it.
. . .
4. Pittsburgh
Ballpark: 7

This guy is an imbecile.

Fenway and TGAB better than PNC?
The notion that anybody in Chicago gives any thought to NY?
:kukoo:

JohnBasedowYoda
07-11-2005, 07:03 PM
but boston fans endured a curse, and almost a century before a championship. they have to be the best fans

bigfoot
07-11-2005, 07:17 PM
jai alai? lol.

He forgot shuffleboard and mini golf.

Chips
07-11-2005, 07:20 PM

And Fenway Park sucks.

So there.

I met one nice Boston fan outside of The Cell earlier this year, but other than that you're right.

Fenway
07-11-2005, 07:39 PM
but boston fans endured a curse, and almost a century before a championship. they have to be the best fans

the only curse we had was racism The Red Sox could have had Willie Mays but tore up his contract.

downstairs
07-11-2005, 08:50 PM

And Fenway Park sucks.

So there.

Hmmm... well, I was in Boston... got a tour of Fenway... got to hang out at the Green Monster.

I don't know... I liked everyone there at the bars and the like...

veeter
07-11-2005, 11:18 PM
I e-mailed the guy who wrote the blurb and said he doesn't know Chicago baseball. That Sox fans lose sleep over losses at at times. I also said to find out about Sox fans I have three words: WhiteSoxInteractive The writer e-mailed me back back and only wrote: "gotcha". What the hell does that mean?!

Mr. White Sox
07-11-2005, 11:28 PM
The writer e-mailed me back back and only wrote: "gotcha". What the hell does that mean?!

I suppose it means that he understands because he was uninformed concerning the hardcore chicago fans. Hopefully he'll take a gander at this site and realize that we fans = 10 and have a passion of 10 as well. He should definitely have split up Sox and Cub fans, because I could see him getting those assumptions when you look at the Urinal and the frat-boy attitude surrounding that park.

chitownhawkfan
07-12-2005, 12:00 AM

And Fenway Park sucks.

So there.

They are so completely self absorbed. I dont care about the Charles river, I dont care about your crappy annoying accents, and I hate their fans and ballpark. Which leads me to, why are you here Fenway?

slobes
07-12-2005, 01:16 AM
I definitely agree with St. Louis; those people there love their baseball.

Like someone said earlier in this thread, it's not fair to be put in the same group as the Cubs fans.

NWSox
07-12-2005, 02:52 AM
It's amazing that people get paid to write this crap. Any moron can regurgitate the cliches about baseball cities. Especially the self-serving blather that continues to pour forth from every Boston sportswriter (and fans for that matter). The country is blanketed with this garbage. Boy, if only grandfathers in other cities had followed baseball. Enough already.

At least espn.com took the time a few years ago to compile a series of articles about actual visits to each ballpark. I didn't agree with everything they wrote, but at least we had proof the writers spent time in each ballpark. This article is just nonsense. I wonder if he consulted with Jimmy Fallon.

doublem23
07-12-2005, 03:04 AM
Having been to both Busch Stadium and Fenway Park, I can say St. Louis has a nicer ballpark and better fans.

SOXintheBURGH
07-12-2005, 07:13 AM
Having been to both Busch Stadium and Fenway Park, I can say St. Louis has a nicer ballpark and better fans.

Have never been nor do I have any desire to go to Wrigley East... but Busch Stadium was awesome.

Never met a Red Sox fan I didn't want to kick in the groin.

SOXintheBURGH
07-12-2005, 07:15 AM
It's amazing that people get paid to write this crap. Any moron can regurgitate the cliches about baseball cities. Especially the self-serving blather that continues to pour forth from every Boston sportswriter (and fans for that matter). The country is blanketed with this garbage. Boy, if only grandfathers in other cities had followed baseball. Enough already.

At least espn.com took the time a few years ago to compile a series of articles about actual visits to each ballpark. I didn't agree with everything they wrote, but at least we had proof the writers spent time in each ballpark. This article is just nonsense. I wonder if he consulted with Jimmy Fallon.

Exactly. I'm so sick and tired of this Boston, Boston, Boston garbage. Guess what mediots, my dad and grand dad are White Sox fans. Shove it.

ma_deuce
07-12-2005, 11:11 AM
The notion that anybody in Chicago gives any thought to NY?
:kukoo:

I disagree. I am always thinking about NY. For example, the other day I said to myself, "man, I hope we never suck as bad as NY does" and "wow, this new musical that just opened in Chicago, and will hit Broadway in a few months, is awesome." In fact, I was just now telling my co-worker about how alleys are such a waste. No, we should lay our rotting trash in front of our houses and restaurants, like they do in NY... it gives the neighborhood character.

:redneck

Deuce

C-Dawg
07-13-2005, 07:11 AM
Baseball writer for the Houston Chronicle ranks the best and worst baseball cities.

5. Chicago
• Ballparks: 8
• Passion: 8
They're loud. They come out in large numbers. And they care. Sometimes, though, it seems they're doing it because they think they're supposed to be doing it. They're doing it because they know New Yorkers are doing it.

What is this place we keep hearing about? .... New... New.... New YORK ??? What is that, Elmhurst's new high school?

AaronsAmigos
07-13-2005, 01:07 PM
I hate how boston red sox fans think that the red sox fans are the only diehards out there

Chicago83
07-13-2005, 01:09 PM
This same exact article, word for word, is on the back of the sports section in the tribune.

C-Dawg
07-13-2005, 01:39 PM
And does anyone REALLY think Boston would have been rated #1 had they NOT won the World Series last year? C'mon guy, its like when your mom drove you to school and you'd ask to be dropped off a block away so no one would know you're a dork - get off the bandwagon before you sit down at the keyboard so its not so obvious you're a tool.

Foulke You
07-13-2005, 04:17 PM

And Fenway Park sucks.

So there.

I have to disagree as well Soxzilla. I met a lot of friendly and knowledgable Red Sox fans in Boston when I went up there in '02 and '03 to see our White Sox play them and only a few dopes. (You run into morons in any ballpark, including our own) My biggest critique of Boston fans is that they are a bit East Coast Centric and obsessed with Yankee hating. Yankees suck chants broke out for no reason during a White Sox Red Sox game there. Overall though, over 6 games attended at Fenway Park, I felt they were pretty good fans. I only received playful ribbing from the fans around me despite being decked out in full White Sox attire. They also get the stigma of being the "Red Cub" fans. I felt they were very un-Cub like as they actually watched the games and are very much into it. You can also strike up an intelligent baseball conversation with most of the people around you which is an impossibility at Wrigley Field.

However, I cannot explain how bizarre it is being in a ballpark (Fenway) that the entire crowd sings Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" in unison. I think that might be grounds alone for some point subtraction on that ranking list.:D:

Foulke You
07-13-2005, 04:20 PM
They are so completely self absorbed. I dont care about the Charles river, I dont care about your crappy annoying accents, and I hate their fans and ballpark. Which leads me to, why are you here Fenway?
Did Fenway run over your cat or something chitownhawkfan? You seem to have quite a hatred built up for our resident Red Sox poster here as I've read your negative posts towards Fenway in a few other threads. You like to say "nobody cares" about him or his posts but I for one find the different perspective and links that Fenway posts here to be interesting. It's not like he posts Boston related stuff in the Sox Clubhouse. He posts them in Talking Baseball or Whats the Score where they belong. If you don't want to read Fenway's posts, stick to the Sox Clubhouse boards or just don't read his threads. Just my .02:cool:

Fenway
07-13-2005, 06:52 PM
As far as the Yankees hating goes, Red Sox fans had to listen to the New Yorkers for decades. That is the one big difference between the East and Midwest. People not only care in both cities, but in every town between Boston and New York. The tabloids in both cities feed on that and it builds from there.

Red Sox Fan You despise me, don't you?
Yankees Fan: If I gave you any thought I probably would.

They have been thinking a lot about Boston the past 8 months.

I have to disagree as well Soxzilla. I met a lot of friendly and knowledgable Red Sox fans in Boston when I went up there in '02 and '03 to see our White Sox play them and only a few dopes. (You run into morons in any ballpark, including our own) My biggest critique of Boston fans is that they are a bit East Coast Centric and obsessed with Yankee hating. Yankees suck chants broke out for no reason during a White Sox Red Sox game there. Overall though, over 6 games attended at Fenway Park, I felt they were pretty good fans. I only received playful ribbing from the fans around me despite being decked out in full White Sox attire. They also get the stigma of being the "Red Cub" fans. I felt they were very un-Cub like as they actually watched the games and are very much into it. You can also strike up an intelligent baseball conversation with most of the people around you which is an impossibility at Wrigley Field.

However, I cannot explain how bizarre it is being in a ballpark (Fenway) that the entire crowd sings Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" in unison. I think that might be grounds alone for some point subtraction on that ranking list.:D:

Baseballfan22
07-15-2005, 02:54 AM
Chicago should be higher up than that. I think the sox fans are always really into it, i love both the stadiums, and i think the passion of the fans should never be in question.