PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Chris Berman Foot in Mouth Thread

RKMeibalane
07-11-2005, 11:06 AM
As tonight marks yet another Home Run Derby Special, this means we'll be subject to the never-ending stupidity of Chris Berman. Thus, I've created this thread to highlight (or lowlight) the stupid things that come out of his mouth this evening.

White Sox Josh
07-11-2005, 11:08 AM
As tonight marks yet another Home Run Derby Special, this means we'll be subject to the never-ending stupidity of Chris Berman. Thus, I've created this thread to highlight (or lowlight) the stupid things that come out of his mouth this evening.with how good a pitchers park detroit is you will hear a lot of back back back and it's off the wall.:angry:

RKMeibalane
07-11-2005, 11:10 AM
with how good a pitchers park detroit is you will hear a lot of back back back and it's off the wall.:angry:

Just as long as he doesn't say, "STRETCH!"

BigEdWalsh
07-11-2005, 11:11 AM
with how good a pitchers park detroit is you will hear a lot of back back back and it's off the wall.:angry:
It could be worse, at least it isn't :chimp

White Sox Josh
07-11-2005, 11:11 AM
It could be worse, at least it isn't :chimp:cower::cower:

SOXPHILE
07-11-2005, 11:12 AM
Who will be hitting when he informs us: OH ! THAT ONE IS HIT ALL THE WAY TO WINDSOR !!!!!!!

MUScholar21
07-11-2005, 11:21 AM
Am I the only one who feels that ESPN trots out Berman whenever it is an event they know they are supposed to take seriously, but everyone else turns down? Take the NFL Draft for an example. Why would anyone want to sit for 16 hours and cover that? But they can't LOOK like they mailed it in, so they send out that fat pile of dung. This way, they can say they sent a big name, and at the same time give the real talent a day off.

fquaye149
07-11-2005, 11:23 AM
Who will be hitting when he informs us: OH ! THAT ONE IS HIT ALL THE WAY TO WINDSOR !!!!!!!\

I hope it has a copy of its birth certificate

bennyw41
07-11-2005, 11:35 AM
Am I the only one who feels that ESPN trots out Berman whenever it is an event they know they are supposed to take seriously, but everyone else turns down? Take the NFL Draft for an example. Why would anyone want to sit for 16 hours and cover that? But they can't LOOK like they mailed it in, so they send out that fat pile of dung. This way, they can say they sent a big name, and at the same time give the real talent a day off.

I've heard from someone who works there, that he just comes into the production meetings and throws his "weight" around and bumps people away and then takes segments and specials. No one has the balls to tell him to stop though.

RKMeibalane
07-11-2005, 11:40 AM
I've heard from someone who works there, that he just comes into the production meetings and throws his "weight" around and bumps people away and then takes segments and specials. No one has the balls to tell him to stop though.

I'm going to be glad when he finally retires. ESPN has become a laughing stock for the way they peddle these guys with no talent.

Tekijawa
07-11-2005, 12:00 PM
Take the NFL Draft for an example. Why would anyone want to sit for 16 hours and cover that? But they can't LOOK like they mailed it in, so they send out that fat pile of dung. This way, they can say they sent a big name, and at the same time give the real talent a day off.

Don't you have to HAVE "real talent" first in order to be able to give that "real talent" days off?

soltrain21
07-11-2005, 12:06 PM
It could be worse, at least it isn't :chimp

Chip is not bad on the Braves broadcast. I am pretty sure he dumbed himself down for the Cubs fan.

PatK
07-11-2005, 01:31 PM
Chip is not bad on the Braves broadcast. I am pretty sure he dumbed himself down for the Cubs fan.

I agree. He's also half the butt kisser.

SOXSINCE'70
07-11-2005, 02:12 PM

As pointed out in one of the local rags this morning,
those baseballs will be wound tighter than Titleists.

Count on a lot of offensive fireworks.

Just get it out of the way so Tomorrow night's
game will be competitive.I'd love to see a 3-2,5-4
type game,but I won't hold my breath.

MIgrenade
07-11-2005, 02:27 PM
I can't wait to hear about how great the Cubs are.

soxfan123
07-11-2005, 02:39 PM
Personally, I love Boomer. I may get some heat for this one, but him and the rest of his crew on Sunday NFL Countdown get me ready for the bears EVERY week when in season. I love his attitude, and during the home run derby, I am not looking for intelligent broadcastng more than easy going and fun broadcasting. His signature home run call is a fond memory of summer for me. I also love the soft voice of Joe Morgan that flows well with the game. I am trying not to be cheesy while still trying to make my point, but the home run derby is a great event not only because of the ridiculous shots the players hit out, but the intangibles like the fun-loving attitude of the players on the foul grounds along with Boomer's broadcast.

White Sox Josh
07-11-2005, 02:44 PM
Personally, I love Boomer. I may get some heat for this one, but him and the rest of his crew on Sunday NFL Countdown get me ready for the bears EVERY week when in season. I love his attitude, and during the home run derby, I am not looking for intelligent broadcastng more than easy going and fun broadcasting. His signature home run call is a fond memory of summer for me. I also love the soft voice of Joe Morgan that flows well with the game. I am trying not to be cheesy while still trying to make my point, but the home run derby is a great event not only because of the ridiculous shots the players hit out, but the intangibles like the fun-loving attitude of the players on the foul grounds along with Boomer's broadcast.He's good at football.

SoxFan78
07-11-2005, 04:00 PM
The worst was when they replaced Karl Ravich on BBTN with Boomer when the Red Sox were about to win the World Series. Karl Ravich is the only decent guy on that show, and was doing a good job through the whole season/post season.

But ESPN decided to put Boomer out there and ruin ESPN's coverage.

slavko
07-11-2005, 04:11 PM
\

I hope it has a copy of its birth certificate

You have to have been there to love that one.

akingamongstmen
07-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Personally, I love Boomer. I may get some heat for this one, but him and the rest of his crew on Sunday NFL Countdown get me ready for the bears EVERY week when in season. I love his attitude, and during the home run derby, I am not looking for intelligent broadcastng more than easy going and fun broadcasting. His signature home run call is a fond memory of summer for me. I also love the soft voice of Joe Morgan that flows well with the game. I am trying not to be cheesy while still trying to make my point, but the home run derby is a great event not only because of the ridiculous shots the players hit out, but the intangibles like the fun-loving attitude of the players on the foul grounds along with Boomer's broadcast.

They are the single most mismatched team of broadcasters imaginable. Berman is a slobbering idiot that was past his prime over a decade ago, and Joe Morgan (while a great baseball player) is about as boring as they come. Plus, I always get the feeling that these two in particular are bothered by the sucess of the Sox (they would both be fawning over the Cubs if the situation was reversed). I'll have the broadcast on mute tonight.

Jjav829
07-11-2005, 04:20 PM
He's good at football.

No he isn't. Berman sucks at football just like he sucks at everything else he does. The best part of Sunday NFL Countdown is Kenny Mayne. The best part of ESPN's football coverage as a whole (be it Sunday mornings or Monday nights) is Jaws. Jaws and Hoge can at least break down a player or a team well. I do think Tom Jackson and Steve Young do a good job. The show is better on Monday nights when Stuart Scott takes over.

Speaking of getting "jacked up!," today is exactly two months until the first regular season Bears game and the true beginning of the NFL season. :smile:

downstairs
07-11-2005, 04:47 PM
I can't even imagine spending time watching the pre-all-star stuff...

BeviBall!
07-11-2005, 07:46 PM
Is there really a reason for his Back, Back, Back call at the Derby. Do us a favor, Boomer... step gracefully aside.

Jerko
07-11-2005, 10:27 PM
Nobody saw where he introduced Carlos Lee as representing the................American League. As Lee was walking towards him with a big orange shirt that said NATIONAL on it.

Brian26
07-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Nobody saw where he introduced Carlos Lee as representing the................American League. As Lee was walking towards him with a big orange shirt that said NATIONAL on it.

Berman probably couldn't see over the giant plate of Fried Chicken on the table in front of him.

SOXintheBURGH
07-12-2005, 08:15 AM
The worst was when they replaced Karl Ravich on BBTN with Boomer when the Red Sox were about to win the World Series. Karl Ravich is the only decent guy on that show, and was doing a good job through the whole season/post season.

But ESPN decided to put Boomer out there and ruin ESPN's coverage.

I used to like Ravich.. until pre season a few months ago when talking about Sosa he said:

"Of course, Sosa will return to Chicago when the Orioles play the White Sox at.. what do they call that place now? Cell Phone Park?"

TommyJohn
07-12-2005, 08:32 AM
I used to like Ravich.. until pre season a few months ago when talking about Sosa he said:

"Of course, Sosa will return to Chicago when the Orioles play the White Sox at.. what do they call that place now? Cell Phone Park?"

Has anyone bothered to tell any of those idiots that jokes about the name of
the park got played out after Jay Mariotti's 1,000,000th crack on the subject?
Of course, I can understand all the jokes, since the White Sox are the first
sports team ever to allow a corporation to buy naming rights to their stadium.
Pathetic with a capital P.

SSN721
07-12-2005, 08:40 AM

That cant possibly be true, it seemd like every stadium in football has been renamed by corporations over the last decade, the same with baseball stadiums, I find it very hard to beleive the Sox are the first to allow it, unless you have a different definition of the term then I do.

TommyJohn
07-12-2005, 08:45 AM
That cant possibly be true, it seemd like every stadium in football has been renamed by corporations over the last decade, the same with baseball stadiums, I find it very hard to beleive the Sox are the first to allow it, unless you have a different definition of the term then I do.

No, no. I was being purely sarcastic, so much so that I didn't think teal was
needed.

skobabe8
07-12-2005, 08:47 AM

:rolling:

Man, we really rely too heavily on teal. Without it, theres only loss and confusion. :D:

SOXintheBURGH
07-12-2005, 08:50 AM
needed.

Don't worry, I understood. I am anti-teal.

The Dude
07-12-2005, 08:57 AM
He's good at football.

You couldnt be more wrong if you tried!

Steakpita
07-12-2005, 11:00 AM
I loved their awkward, awkward interview with Derrek Lee... "So.. umm.. Derek... how 'bout that.. uhh..." ::silence:: "Yeah..." And it went on like that for five minutes or so!! How does that pile of lard stay on television?

Berman's a jackass. At least he didn't try to pull out a Hawk call or I would have tried to smash my TV.

RichFitztightly
07-12-2005, 11:18 AM
I believe Berman also said that Carlos Lee was the only White Sox player to hit a homerun in his first at bat. I seem to recall Miguel Olivo and Joe Borchard doing that as well.

So.ILSoxFan
07-12-2005, 02:17 PM
Berman:

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:VFAAkKlb6X0J:www.wheelsofhope.com/Cross_Country_2001/images/Tour_Pictures/New_Folder/Chicken%2520in%2520Seligman%2520AZ.jpg
"Back back back bak bak bak...":rolleyes:

Can't stand that HR call, really makes you appreciate hawk.

Huisj
07-12-2005, 02:47 PM
Who will be hitting when he informs us: OH ! THAT ONE IS HIT ALL THE WAY TO WINDSOR !!!!!!!

It actually ended up being worse than that. When Abreu was done with his first round, he said something like "shots landing in Ann Arbor, in Kalamazoo!"

So, were those shots foul balls then? Those cities are west, and the outfield faces south east.

Chisox353014
07-12-2005, 03:36 PM
I loved their awkward, awkward interview with Derrek Lee... "So.. umm.. Derek... how 'bout that.. uhh..." ::silence:: "Yeah..." And it went on like that for five minutes or so!! How does that pile of lard stay on television?

Berman's a jackass. At least he didn't try to pull out a Hawk call or I would have tried to smash my TV.

Oh, come on now. You didn't want to hear Boomer's classic "You Can Put It On The Board, GONE!" again?

SOXintheBURGH
07-12-2005, 03:36 PM
It actually ended up being worse than that. When Abreu was done with his first round, he said something like "shots landing in Ann Arbor, in Kalamazoo!"

So, were those shots foul balls then? Those cities are west, and the outfield faces south east.

I guess he thinks it makes more sense to use Michigan towns instead of saying "BACK BACK BACK.. LOOK OUT TOLEDO, OHIO!"

I loathe Berman.

SOXPHILE
07-12-2005, 03:40 PM

Wow. Just wow. That guy is a bloated turd. I had decided not to watch it, but found myself flipping back and forth to it every so often, so I was fortunate to miss those calls. When I saw Bud Selig (Wost Commisioner In Professional Sports) sitting by him and starting to open his mouth, I turned it off for good.

SOXintheBURGH
07-12-2005, 03:43 PM
Wow. Just wow. That guy is a bloated turd. I had decided not to watch it, but found myself flipping back and forth to it every so often, so I was fortunate to miss those calls. When I saw Bud Selig (Wost Commisioner In Professional Sports) sitting by him and starting to open his mouth, I turned it off for good.

I didn't even watch it for more than 45 seconds, me and old lady were watching "Hell's Kitchen." The only part I saw was Berman talking about Brett Favruh with Proud to Be Your Bud during glorified batting practice.

TomBradley72
07-12-2005, 04:22 PM

The ultimate in hypocrisy...Wrigley Field = Named to Promote Chewing gum, do they make fun of SBC Park? Petco Field" Coors Field? Comerica Park? PNC Park? Miller Park? Safeco Field?

LauraJ14
07-12-2005, 04:38 PM
I believe Berman also said that Carlos Lee was the only White Sox player to hit a homerun in his first at bat. I seem to recall Miguel Olivo and Joe Borchard doing that as well.

I may be wrong but I thought he said he was the first WhiteSox player to hit a homerun in his first at-bat.

I thought the part that I watched was very boring and they had hardly any guests sitting with them, where was Piazza, he is always good for some interesting observations.

Soxzilla
07-12-2005, 06:10 PM
I may be wrong but I thought he said he was the first WhiteSox player to hit a homerun in his first at-bat.

I thought the part that I watched was very boring and they had hardly any guests sitting with them, where was Piazza, he is always good for some interesting observations.

And that's what the guy that you quoted said.

Stroker Ace
07-12-2005, 07:04 PM
Berman=Hack who is desperately trying to be like Howard Cosell.

SSN721
07-13-2005, 09:19 AM
needed.

Sorry about that:redface: Mere mention of Mariotti and my brains stops operating normally. :smile:

Jerko
07-13-2005, 09:21 AM
And that's what the guy that you quoted said.

First poster said that Berman said Lee was the ONLY one to do it.
Second person said that Berman said Lee was the FIRST to do it.

Shorty1983
07-13-2005, 09:36 AM
Atras, Atras. Atras....Please Berman don't ever use spanish as one of your homerun calls, its bad enough he sounds like a horses ass.