PDA

View Full Version : Roddy Piper to host Piper's Pit at a Jays game!

Baby Fisk
07-11-2005, 11:46 AM
Wednesday July 20 - WWE Night at Rogers Centre
Superstar WWE Alumni "Mean" Gene Okerlund, Bobby "The Brain" Heenan and "Rowdy" Roddy Piper will be here to Rock the Rogers Centre. Piper will be singing "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" and do a "Pipers Pit" live. There will be a bunch of great In-Stadium Prizing. Tickets are $2 for the 500-Level, 200-Level Outfield and Family Zone Sections - Courtesy of WWE and Rogers Digital Cable.

34 Inch Stick
07-11-2005, 02:48 PM
I haven't watched wrestling in decades but I always loved Piper. He has to be approaching 60 now.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-11-2005, 04:09 PM
I remember back in the 80's Piper used to be physically huge, now he looks so skinny and frail. No doubt he was on the juice back then.

Brian26
07-11-2005, 04:48 PM
I remember back in the 80's Piper used to be physically huge, now he looks so skinny and frail. No doubt hw was on the juice back then.

He was never really huge. He probably maxed out around 240 or 245....but yeah, he looks awful today.

Baby Fisk
07-11-2005, 05:44 PM
I'm going and dragging a friend along for the spectacle. I want massive bagpipe action. A report-back will be posted. :cool:

mike squires
07-11-2005, 08:20 PM
I don't believe Piper ever was on steroids. He wasn't cut like a guy juicing anyway. he was pretty lean. He got and kept his job with his personality and his ability to play the heal...He was always my favorite.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-11-2005, 10:16 PM
I don't believe Piper ever was on steroids. He wasn't cut like a guy juicing anyway. he was pretty lean. He got and kept his job with his personality and his ability to play the heal...He was always my favorite.

If you look at Piper from Wrestlemania I and II, you'll see that he was way bigger than he is now. He shrunk way too much for me to suspect him of juicing. Back in the 80's they all used to, you don't actually think that Hulk Hogan got to be the way he was because he used to drink his milk, eat his vitamins and say his prayers, do you?

Apart from that, I too was a Piper fan and enjoyed his film "They Live". Who didn't use his line, "I came to do two things, chew some bubblegum and kick some ass, and I'm all outta bubblegum!"

mike squires
07-11-2005, 11:01 PM
You lose muscle when you're 51!!! Roddy just never had the type of muscle you get from juicing, IMO. If you look at old pics he also sometimes had bit of a belly.

I didn't realize he had a book out called "In the Pit with Piper." I'll bet it's entertaining!

There is a site cooldudesandhotbabes.com/piper.html that talks about his carrer.

Brian26
07-11-2005, 11:33 PM
You lose muscle when you're 51!!! Roddy just never had the type of muscle you get from juicing, IMO. If you look at old pics he also sometimes had bit of a belly.

Just because he wasn't completely ripped, doesn't mean he didn't dabble in it. I've seen pictures of Piper when he was really young, and he was a toothpick. There's no doubt in my mind that he put some weight on with the needle in the early 80s, even before he went to Vince. I think Flair also messed around with steroids. He was never ripped, but you could see the effects of it in his flabby chest. One other note on Piper- he suffers from a degenerative hip condition now that was probably spurned by drug use in the 80s. All the guys dabbled with the steroids back then- even the smaller, mid-card guys.

Optipessimism
07-11-2005, 11:59 PM
Steriods, painkillers, cocaine, and eggs. This was the breakfast, lunch, and dinner of wrestlers throughout the 80's, and I still think that applies today, only without as much of the steriods.

Vince McMahon, even after his trial, never really did much other than instate a 90's MLB-esque easy to beat steriod policy. I wouldn't be surprised if not just Piper but many others who didn't quite look like they were on steriouds were indeed on steriods.

StockdaleForVeep
07-12-2005, 12:51 AM
Piper also was involved i believe in a horrible motorcycle accident in the mid ninties which put him on the shelf for quite some time, broken hip maybe i dont recall

Heenan-wrestling is dead, the magic is gone, everyone knows how we do our tricks.

mike squires
07-12-2005, 11:33 PM
I went to the bookstore today and picked up Shoesless Joe by kinsella. While there I quickly browsed through "In the Pit with Poper." Thinking I might have to pick that one up when I'm done with Shoeless Joe. The brief part I read he talks about a story where slipped after a shower and electricuted himself. He said he felt different and something was not right. He ended up on a plane to Kansas City and on a hotel floor where he THOUGHT he had a room. COme to find out...He wasn't supposed to go to KC. Good stuff.

Baby Fisk
07-21-2005, 10:54 AM
So I went to WWE Night at Rogers Centre last night. It didn't take very long to figure out the OBVIOUS ROGERS CABLE tie-in: Rogers is launching an on-demand classic rasslin' channel in Canada. The channel will feature old WWF content. To hype the new service, Rogers wheeled out Roddy Piper, Bobby Heenan and Mean Gene Okerlund.

Heenan looked very different from his heyday as a pudgy guy with shaggy blond hair. Now he is very skinny with close cropped blond hair and appeared to be speaking with a slur, the result of health problems. Heenan tossed out the first pitch.

Mean Gene got hauled out to the CF area for a quick promo between innings.

Roddy Piper hosted a quickie Piper's Pit before the bottom of the 5th inning. Decked out in the classic red kilt and white Jays jersey, Piper talked about his younger days in Toronto, and how much he appreciated "being a member of the Jays" and everyone's support over the years. Then he kicked the snot out of the Jays mascot (also wearing a kilt) for some laughs.

All three sang a brutal, off-key, off-tempo rendition of Take Me Out to the Ballgame and that was it.

Nice to see Piper again. He's aged a bit but still the scrappy bastard that he always was.

jdm2662
07-21-2005, 11:10 AM
Piper has admited to drug use on an HBO interview. I don't recall if he mentioned juicing. And yes, his hip problems was from a motorcycle accident. Taking beatings for many years probably didn't help either.

I saw Heenan interviewed on Comcast and he looked terrible. I think he's got throat cancer. I think he lives in Chicago too, but don't quote me on that. He was my favorite personallity during that era. He was funny as hell.
________
Toys butterfly (http://www.****tube.com/categories/1089/butterfly/videos/1)