PDA

View Full Version : Oakland's Chances For The Playoffs

Madvora
07-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Well, thank God that Oakland is finally gone. There are two positives to this.
1. The Sox can win again
2. Oakland can lose again

The A's are currently 1 game over .500 and in 3rd place in the division. 7.5 behind the Angels and 4.5 out of the wild card with 5 teams ahead of them.

They have a very tough schedule for the rest of the season.

Texas
Anaheim
Texas
Cleveland
Detroit
Minnesota
KC
Anaheim
Minnesota
Baltimore
KC
Detroit
Baltimore
Anaheim
New York
Seattle
Texas
Cleveland
Boston
Minnesota
Texas
Anaheim
Seattle

I am actually scared of them making the playoffs, but they have to do a lot to get there and I'm not too sure they can pull it off.

MRKARNO
07-11-2005, 11:45 AM
Let's put it this way:

Even Baseball Prospectus gives them only a 10% chance of making the postseason, while the Rangers, a team they trail by only 2.5 games, has a 34% chance. They also rate the non division-leading Indians, O's, Yankees and Twins (in that order) as having a better chance to make the postseason (at least 2 times better for all of them and 4.5 times better in Cleveland's case).

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statistics/ps_odds.php

I really don't think that Oakland is a team that we should concern ourselves with until the day they are within 1 game of the WC spot. There are many others in the AL who are more likely to make the postseason.

RKMeibalane
07-11-2005, 12:03 PM
Guys, let's forget about Oakland and start focusing on Cleveland.

Baby Fisk
07-11-2005, 12:06 PM
The A's are currently 1 game over .500 and in 3rd place in the division. 7.5 behind the Angels and 4.5 out of the wild card with 5 teams ahead of them.

I am actually scared of them making the playoffs, but they have to do a lot to get there and I'm not too sure they can pull it off.
Don't be scared.

daveeym
07-11-2005, 12:31 PM
Big frickin whoop. But they've gone this route the last 3 or 4 seasons at least. Poor first half, start coming on around the ASB and making a push in the second half. They got into the playoffs a couple times this way and have come up short a couple times as well. Too many other good teams out there this year so my guess is that they come up short this year as well.

Lip Man 1
07-11-2005, 12:56 PM
Minnesota (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=min) 48 38 .558 Baltimore (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=bal) 47 40 .540 1.5 New York (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=nyy) 46 40 .535 2.0
Texas (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=tex) 46 40 .535 2.0 Cleveland (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=cle) 47 41 .534 2.0 Oakland (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=oak) 44 43 .506 4.5

Wild card standings as of 7/11.

That's an awful lot of teams ahead of the A's...do you really expect ALL of them to tank?

Lip

SOXSINCE'70
07-11-2005, 02:45 PM

Don't forget about their next homestand that starts next Monday.
3 with the Tiggers (nice to see their right fielder/DH has recovered
from his herniated knee problem) :D: and 4 with the Blow Sawx.

The next 11 games could be very interesting.

SOXSINCE'70
07-11-2005, 02:46 PM
Minnesota (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=min) 48 38 .558 Baltimore (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=bal) 47 40 .540 1.5 New York (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=nyy) 46 40 .535 2.0
Texas (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=tex) 46 40 .535 2.0 Cleveland (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=cle) 47 41 .534 2.0 Oakland (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=oak) 44 43 .506 4.5

That's an awful lot of teams ahead of the A's...do you really expect ALL of them to tank?

Lip

No,but the A's can make it interesting.

But that second half schedule will be difficult,to say the least.

Madvora
07-11-2005, 03:03 PM
The good thing is that almost their entire schedule is against good teams that are ahead of them for the division and wild card... wait, maybe that isn't a good thing.

Anyway, as I posted above. They have one hell of a schedule to overcome to make it to the playoffs. Odds are against them.

Frater Perdurabo
07-11-2005, 04:47 PM

Lip

That's interesting, because the Sox play Minny and Cleveland quite a bit in the second half (a given since they are division rivals) and also play four at Baltimore, four at Texas (inclusing a doubleheader) and six with the Yankees (3 home, 3 away). So, merely by beating these teams the Sox actually could be doing the A's a favor in the Wild Card race.

Do I think all these teams could tank? Probably not. But it could get a bit dicey in September if Oakland puts together one of their patented second-half surges by going 50-25 to finish with 94 wins.
:o:

soxfan1965
07-17-2005, 10:18 PM

Well, the A's are now 3 games above .500 after taking 3/4 from Texas. Texas, Minnesota, Baltimore and New York are ahead of them in the wild card, but the A's are within striking distance. Let's hope the Angels and Rangers can cool em off their next two series.

jabrch
07-18-2005, 02:38 AM

I know hindsight is 20/20...but you can put a check mark next to that line that says "Start Focusing on Cleveland".

It seems as if Oakland would easily make the playoffs if they had 60 games left against us. But reality is that this team is still not good. They have almost no RH power hitting. They have no true leadoff hitter. They are above average with the gloves, at best. The bottom of their order is terrible. They DH Keith Ginter a bunch - really...Keith Ginter...

Beane won't trade his prosepcts for players. They can't take on much salary anyhow. Harden and Zito are good - but I'd take our 3-4-5 over theirs. Their pen is decent - it is actually similar to ours. Hermanson=Street, Marte>Rincon, Politte=Duch...

This team does nothing well enough to win at a high enough clip to make the playoffs, except beat the snot out of us - something they (hopefully) won't get a shot at doing this season.

Madvora
07-18-2005, 09:03 AM
I know hindsight is 20/20...but you can put a check mark next to that line that says "Start Focusing on Cleveland".

It seems as if Oakland would easily make the playoffs if they had 60 games left against us. But reality is that this team is still not good. They have almost no RH power hitting. They have no true leadoff hitter. They are above average with the gloves, at best. The bottom of their order is terrible. They DH Keith Ginter a bunch - really...Keith Ginter...

Beane won't trade his prosepcts for players. They can't take on much salary anyhow. Harden and Zito are good - but I'd take our 3-4-5 over theirs. Their pen is decent - it is actually similar to ours. Hermanson=Street, Marte>Rincon, Politte=Duch...

This team does nothing well enough to win at a high enough clip to make the playoffs, except beat the snot out of us - something they (hopefully) won't get a shot at doing this season.
That's a tight wild card race. Oakland is only 2.5 back now, but with Minnesota, New York, Baltimore and Texas ahead of them. Maybe we'll actually be rooting for the Twins to get hot late in the season?

Baby Fisk
07-18-2005, 10:43 AM
That's a tight wild card race. Oakland is only 2.5 back now, but with Minnesota, New York, Baltimore and Texas ahead of them. Maybe we'll actually be rooting for the Twins to get hot late in the season?
Seriously, don't be scared!

Madvora
07-18-2005, 10:59 AM
Ha! I hear ya.

soxfan1965
07-23-2005, 11:35 PM
Well, the A's are now 3 games above .500 after taking 3/4 from Texas. Texas, Minnesota, Baltimore and New York are ahead of them in the wild card, but the A's are within striking distance. Let's hope the Angels and Rangers can cool em off their next two series.

The Angels and the Rangers haven't cooled off the A's too much. Now they are 7 games above .500 and only Minnesota and New York are ahead of them in the WC, and not by much. Hopefully this will keep the Sox on their toes not to beat themselves. It's good to get the home runs like last night but I'd rather win by small ball and errorless ball and clutch hits and quality starts. The 1-2 guys did their job tonight, getting on 5 times. The rest have to drive them in. I know there's a lot of talk reminding us of the Sox best record in baseball, but maybe it's better to say we're only as good as our last series (or at least the record since the All-Star break against non-Central opponents). And like a playoff game, consider the record to be 0-0 at the start of the series. 1983 Sox had the huge division lead and the tough loss to Baltimore (who went on to beat a weak NL team in the World Series, ouch). Maybe then we heard "we had the best record in baseball" or "we have a huge lead in our division". Let's pick it up a notch, White Sox! And other teams, beat the A's, or A's--beat yourselves! :wink:

Madvora
07-24-2005, 07:33 PM
AHHHH!!!!!

Guess who's tied for 1st in the wild card race?

Minnesota and Oakland are 53-45
Yankess are 1 behind
Baltimore is 2.5 behind
Cleveland is 2.5 behind

There's lot's of time left, but look where they came from to get to this point.
I'm scared again.

mr_genius
07-24-2005, 07:38 PM
i just noticed that the A's are tied for the wild card (yea, i'm kinda slow).

that would be the worst possible senerio IMO

go twins!

Chips
07-24-2005, 07:39 PM
Not at all, Oakland always chokes in the first round of the playoffs, they haven't won a postseason series since 1989 or 1990.

soxwon
07-24-2005, 07:39 PM
move this to TALKIN baseball.

soxwon
07-24-2005, 07:40 PM
lets not worry about oakland until oct 1(if they are still there)

go yanks-bst-balt

mr_genius
07-24-2005, 07:40 PM
move this to TALKIN baseball.

no soup for you

mr_genius
07-24-2005, 07:43 PM
Not at all, Oakland always chokes in the first round of the playoffs, they haven't won a postseason series since 1989 or 1990.

you're right

we always beat oakland

:moron

SOX ADDICT '73
07-24-2005, 07:51 PM
I don't think any of us wants Oakland in the playoffs, but if it turns out that way, we can draw one positive from it: can you think of a better way for the Sox to exorcise their demons of the past few years than to beat the A's when it really matters?

Remember when the Bears lost only to Miami in that magical '85 season? They missed out on a chance for payback when the Pats beat the Dolphins in the AFC Championship game.

Assuming Oakland does reach the playoffs, we may not have to worry about facing them until the second round - at the rate they're going, they might win their division and even overtake the AL East leaders in the standings! I like our chances much better against possible Wild Cards like the Angels, Orioles, Yanks, or even (especially after this weekend) the BoSox.

FloridaSox
07-24-2005, 07:55 PM
After being 15 games under .500 at one time, Oakland has rallied and is now tied for the wild card lead with Minnesota.

Is our nightmare of a White Sox-Oakland first round about to come true? Do we want to face Harden and Zito in a 3 of 5 series?

mr_genius
07-24-2005, 07:59 PM
I don't think any of us wants Oakland in the playoffs, but if it turns out that way, we can draw one positive from it: can you think of a better way for the Sox to exorcise their demons of the past few years than to beat the A's when it really matters?

i was kinda thinking that too

anyone we play in the playoffs is going to be tough...

TheOldRoman
07-24-2005, 08:14 PM
After being 15 games under .500 at one time, Oakland has rallied and is now tied for the wild card lead with Minnesota.

Is our nightmare of a White Sox-Oakland first round about to come true? Do we want to face Harden and Zito in a 3 of 5 series?
Do they want to face Buehrle, Garland, and Garcia in a 5 game series? I do not fear the A's. We are a much better team than them. You can say we don't "match up well" with them because of how bad we play against them, but we easily could have won 7 or 8 of the 9 against them. The umpires took away two wins from us in the first series, Buehrle made a fluke error in the second, and Garcia had a rare rough outing in the third. It looks horrible when taken in context of our record against the Athletics the last 5 years, but when you look at it game by game, sh** happens. They were close games that we win 4 out of 5 times. We just happened to lose 7 of those games against the A's. Oh well.

FloridaSox
07-24-2005, 08:22 PM

I am scared of Oakland.

Tragg
07-24-2005, 08:34 PM
No problem - we have a better team than Oakland.
Ozzie's the psychological master - he'll have us ready.

mr_genius
07-24-2005, 08:36 PM
umpires took away two wins from us

*****!

yea, thats the ticket! the umpires

Banix12
07-24-2005, 08:38 PM
Eh, If they make it they make it. We can't control their destiny. While I know they would be the White Sox toughest challenge in the playoffs. At least we know that we can actually talk about making the playoffs which is a definite upgrade over the past few years.

I don't particularly care who the sox play in the playoffs, even though certainly some opponents would be easier than others, I just care that they make the playoffs to give us all a chance at tasting postseason success.

fquaye149
07-24-2005, 08:59 PM
*****!

I'm going to assume you neither watched, listened to, nor even read a recap of those two games.

If you have, your comment is asinine.

Jerome
07-24-2005, 09:00 PM
as a white sox fan first I can safely say I would rather face any other team in the AL in the playoffs besides Oakland. Go uh, Twins / Yankees! (It hurts me very much to say that. :(: )

:fobbgod: "who needs Mulder and Hudson anyways?"

Seriously though, I'm a bigtime FOBB and I had a dismal outlook for the A's season. I was not impressed at all with their offense. The fact that they traded away their best two pitchers scared me, plus I figured that some players were going to be in for an "adjustment" with the steroid tests. I figured "oh well, even the great Billy Beane has to rebuild once in a while." Looks like I and everybody else excpet maybe the most ardent "beaneaters" were wrong.

The A's resurgence probably kills Hawk more than anyone though. :redneck

Palehose13
07-24-2005, 09:08 PM
My initial reaction was the same as everyone else, but if the Sox truly are the best team in baseball and if this team is really deserving of a championship...they will beat ANYONE they play. Bring 'em on!

mr_genius
07-24-2005, 09:09 PM
I'm going to assume you neither watched, listened to, nor even read a recap of those two games.

If you have, your comment is asinine.

i watched those games and didn't like some of the calls. i'm not going to blame the umpires for Oaklands dominance of the Sox

ps.

packers suck dude

:dtroll:

fquaye149
07-24-2005, 09:29 PM
i watched those games and didn't like some of the calls. i'm not going to blame the umpires for Oaklands dominance of the Sox

ps.

packers suck dude

:dtroll:

I'm a bears fan. Dude.

And it wasn't quite dominance, especially in those two games, dude.

It was a ****ing ripjob, and MLB agreed. dude

kingpin_rcs
07-24-2005, 09:34 PM
The AL wild card race is really amazing this year. All be three teams in the AL have a good shot at the post season. Since the Sox have the best record, they will face off against the wild card in the first round unless it comes out of the central in which case they will face the division winner with the worst record.

Anyway, given that the Sox have had difficulty with the A's (currently tied for first with the Twins for the WC) I would assume that they would prefer to not face them in the postseason at all.

With the Sox having such a large division lead and being in control of their own destiny, would it be unprecidented for the Sox to say, let the Twins win a game or two to try to prevent the A's from winning the wild card?

Don't flame me too bad for this one...

mr_genius
07-24-2005, 09:35 PM
I'm a bears fan. Dude.

haha, typical back woods cheese head

yea, i remember the first year i started watching baseball too (83')... ah yes, the bliss of ignorance

done and done

dude

gf2020
07-24-2005, 09:41 PM
"I want Parkman."

Mercy!
07-24-2005, 09:43 PM
Bad idea. As is your post.

ilsox7
07-24-2005, 09:44 PM
The AL wild card race is really amazing this year. All be three teams in the AL have a good shot at the post season. Since the Sox have the best record, they will face off against the wild card in the first round unless it comes out of the central in which case they will face the division winner with the worst record.

Anyway, given that the Sox have had difficulty with the A's (currently tied for first with the Twins for the WC) I would assume that they would prefer to not face them in the postseason at all.

With the Sox having such a large division lead and being in control of their own destiny, would it be unprecidented for the Sox to say, let the Twins win a game or two to try to prevent the A's from winning the wild card?

Don't flame me too bad for this one...

I'd start ducking cuz you're gonna get torn apart for this. Bad idea. You NEVER intentionally lose games.

chisoxmike
07-24-2005, 09:44 PM
No

mr_genius
07-24-2005, 09:45 PM
"You can't say god damn on the air. -Don't worry, nobody's listening anyway."

soltrain21
07-24-2005, 09:46 PM

yea, i remember the first year i started watching baseball too (83')... ah yes, the bliss of ignorance

done and done

dude

What the hell are you talking about? Are you saying he knows nothing about baseball?

nedlug
07-24-2005, 09:48 PM
(DJ Pic)

"UH OH!"

Lip Man 1
07-24-2005, 10:10 PM
I for one do not want to face the A's in the post season. Oakland has been the house of horrors since the start of the 2001 season.

The Sox are a better team then Oakland but it's now a psychological issue with the players... they go to Oakland they know the score, they tighten up, can't play their normal game and bizarre stuff happens. It's a self fullfiling prophecy.

No thank you.

That being said I'd rather get to the playoffs and face them if that's what has to happen then not get to the postseason.

Lip

Lip Man 1
07-24-2005, 10:12 PM
History shows the Sox have fared better against New York and Boston AT THEIR PLACE, then in Oakland's since the start of the 2001 season.

Play the A's...no friggin' way.

Lip

fquaye149
07-24-2005, 10:25 PM

done and done

dude

ok...well i'm going to try to stay above the fray and merely say that I've been playing baseball seriously for a long time and have been watching baseball seriously for a long time, and while an ump is never the only reason a team loses a game, they certainly can be the major reason why you lost a game.

Let's look at the fact:

we lost 2 players to injuries in those two games because the umps couldn't keep them from nailing us with pitches

we lost 1 player because of an fraudulent ejection.

We had ozuna playing third base and Dye playing ss by the time the last game is over.

And you want to pretend like Oakland beat us into submission? Only with their beanballs.

Frater Perdurabo
07-24-2005, 10:38 PM
At this rate Oakland just might win the AL West. If that's the case, the Sox need to put their boots to the throats of the rest of the Central, so that they can guarantee a Central team does not win the Wild Card, so that they can therefore face the Wild Card team (the Angels, Yankees or Red Sox) in the ALDS.

mr_genius
07-24-2005, 10:38 PM
"we lost 2 players to injuries in those two games because the umps couldn't keep them from nailing us with pitches"

it's difficult for an umpire to control where a pitcher throws a pitch. yes, the umpire can give warnings and issue ejections... this doesn't always result in no more hit batters

"we lost 1 player because of an fraudulent ejection."

and thats why we got swept by Oakland in Chicago? i've been talking about our overall struggles against the A's, not just one specefic game.

"We had ozuna playing third base and Dye playing ss by the time the last game is over."

so, dye rules at short

"And you want to pretend like Oakland beat us into submission? Only with their beanballs."

?? uhhhh, ok. so you're saying we've played Oakland well and have only lost because of beanballs? remember, i'm not just talking about one game.

fquaye149
07-24-2005, 10:53 PM
I don't know why I'm debating you, because you seem hell bent on ignoring the facts and insulting me personally, but in the interest of logic and reason and the White Sox:

"we lost 2 players to injuries in those two games because the umps couldn't keep them from nailing us with pitches"

it's difficult for an umpire to control where a pitcher throws a pitch. yes, the umpire can give warnings and issue ejections... this doesn't always result in no more hit batters

And they did issue a warning. We hit no batters in those 2 games and they hit like 6. No ejections were given. Period. That is not even making an effort to prevent injuries.

"we lost 1 player because of an fraudulent ejection."

and thats why we got swept by Oakland in Chicago? i've been talking about our overall struggles against the A's, not just one specefic game.
I said nothing about the series or our persistent struggles. I AM talking about two specific games in which the umps played much too big a part in our loss.

"We had ozuna playing third base and Dye playing ss by the time the last game is over."

so, dye rules at short

good point.

"And you want to pretend like Oakland beat us into submission? Only with their beanballs."

?? uhhhh, ok. so you're saying we've played Oakland well and have only lost because of beanballs? remember, i'm not just talking about one game.

Yeah, but we were talking about one game. (Or two games rather). The two games froemming and wendlestedt ****ed us in. The ones in which you claim the umpiring did not hurt us to the point where it wasn't really a fair contest.

SOX ADDICT '73
07-24-2005, 11:04 PM
History shows the Sox have fared better against New York and Boston AT THEIR PLACE, then in Oakland's since the start of the 2001 season.
Lip
Seems like the Sox have had more success at NY and Boston than they have at home against Oakland. Am I right Lip?

mr_genius
07-24-2005, 11:13 PM
"I don't know why I'm debating you"

probably because you're bored

" hit like 6. No ejections were given"

the umpire did not think they were all intentional.

"Yeah, but we were talking about one game. (Or two games rather). The two games froemming and wendlestedt ****ed us in. The ones in which you claim the umpiring did not hurt us to the point where it wasn't really a fair contest."

you're assuming all the batter were hit intentionally. i'm sure you understand that injuries happen and batters get sometimes get hit. i don't agree with the way the situation was handled, but i don't feel like the umpires put us at such a disadvantage that we couldn't win the game

FloridaSox
07-24-2005, 11:13 PM
ok...well i'm going to try to stay above the fray and merely say that I've been playing baseball seriously for a long time and have been watching baseball seriously for a long time, and while an ump is never the only reason a team loses a game, they certainly can be the major reason why you lost a game.

Let's look at the fact:

we lost 2 players to injuries in those two games because the umps couldn't keep them from nailing us with pitches

we lost 1 player because of an fraudulent ejection.

We had ozuna playing third base and Dye playing ss by the time the last game is over.

And you want to pretend like Oakland beat us into submission? Only with their beanballs.

And what are the excuses for the three games in Chicago?

batmanZoSo
07-24-2005, 11:39 PM

done and done

dude

I'm a bears fan. Dude.

DUDES! Chill...:cool:

PicktoCLick72
07-24-2005, 11:47 PM
We ran into Oakland at a bad time as they were just getting hot. Right now, the A's are beating everyone like they beat us. The thing that matters, though, is how you are playing when playoff time comes along. The team that is playing the best at that time will win the series. PAst struggles will play no role in that series.

fquaye149
07-25-2005, 12:50 AM
And what are the excuses for the three games in Chicago?

We played bad baseball and they played good baseball.

Am I honestly so wrong in blaming the umps for letting the A's hit 6 of our batters and toss Crede for tossing his bat wrong, and tossing Ozzie before he said a single word?

MLB agrees with me. Am I honestly so wrong?

JB98
07-25-2005, 01:26 AM
I don't think Oakland is going to make the playoffs. Even if they do, so what?
Moneyball has never gotten the A's past the first round before. Why is it any different now?

We haven't been in the postseason in five years. I'd be excited to see the Sox play *anyone* in the playoffs. I don't fear any teams. We have nothing to lose. The media thinks nothing of us, and we will be underdogs.

patbooyah
07-25-2005, 01:37 AM
seriously, genius. shut up. you are wrong. and making a fool of yourself.

simply put- we lost 2 of 3 in oakland because of bad circumstances.

we lost 2 of 3 at home because crede had a bad back and pablo was in. he made about 200 errors.

i'm not saying we would have won all four of those, but the series would certainly have been closer.

mr_genius
07-25-2005, 01:45 AM

*****! get a clue

patbooyah
07-25-2005, 01:50 AM
*****! get a clue

and so continues a long thread with absolutely no substance coming from you. goodnight.

mr_genius
07-25-2005, 01:53 AM
and so continues a long thread with absolutely no substance coming from you. goodnight.

haha, whatever guy... no substance? wrong, you just disagree with my stance that all of our loses against the A's weren't due to evil umpires set on ruining the Sox season.

lol

OEO Magglio
07-25-2005, 01:57 AM
No need to worry about the A's. They're an average team that is very, very hot at this point. They won't win the wild card, they'll be right around 5 over once the season ends.

patbooyah
07-25-2005, 02:03 AM

simply put- we lost 2 of 3 in oakland because of bad circumstances.

we lost 2 of 3 at home because crede had a bad back and pablo was in. he made about 200 errors.

i'm not saying we would have won all four of those, but the series would certainly have been closer.

i'm pretty sure i never blamed all our losses on the umpires. but they did unlevel(word?) the playing field in select games. you ignore the points everyone in this thread has made and think that you have won an argument.

most people on this board would admit that they don't want to face oakland, but that doesn't change the fact that our first games against that team have been marked by unusual circumstances. like an umpire saying joe crede didn't try hard enough to get out of the way of a bean ball. they hit us six times and the seventh we don't try hard enough to move?

keep in mind this is coming from the umpire whose father kept drysdale's scoreless inning streak in tact by making the same call. obviously this traumatic event from his past has made him think about that call more than other umpires BECAUSE HE IS THE ONLY PERSON WHO HAS EVER CALLED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

god forbid we look back at the oakland games and try to find a silver lining.

mr_genius
07-25-2005, 02:11 AM
i'you ignore the points everyone in this thread has made and think that you have won an argument.

1) I already stated (more than once) that I disagreed with the Umps in that game.

2) Everyone in the thread? Uh, you might want to re-read some of the posts. Even if everyone was saying I was wrong I would listen to their arguments but would probably still think we lost our games to Oakland due to poor play by my beloved Sox. I'm not the type of person to make excuses for failings and I find it annoying when fans/players blame umpires, refs, vodoo curses, ect. for losing

fquaye149
07-25-2005, 02:58 AM
1) I already stated (more than once) that I disagreed with the Umps in that game.

No you didn't. You said "blaming the umpires is a laughable excuse"

and then you argued tooth and nail with me claiming that letting them hit 6 of our batters in 2 games was not the umpires ****ing us over.

whatever.

Brian26
07-25-2005, 10:13 AM
No need to worry about the A's. They're an average team that is very, very hot at this point. They won't win the wild card, they'll be right around 5 over once the season ends.

This is a good point of view. The A's are super hot right now...but very unlikely they can continue this pace. Who knows though. They're 36-13 in their last 49 games, so that's pretty sustained. Hopefully they tail off. I like our chances against anyone except them.

Hangar18
07-25-2005, 10:22 AM
I am very AFRAID of the Oakland A's. We play some of our dumbest baseball against those guys. If we face them, Paul Konerko has to ride the bench, or bat 6th ........

Baby Fisk
07-25-2005, 10:58 AM
This is a good point of view. The A's are super hot right now...but very unlikely they can continue this pace. Who knows though. They're 36-13 in their last 49 games, so that's pretty sustained. Hopefully they tail off. I like our chances against anyone except them.
They will tail off. Everyone running around panicking about the A's is like a bunch of peasants running around panicking about werewolves and vampires. The wild card will come down to Minny and one of Boston/NY. Oakland's pitching cannot sustain them.

JB98
07-25-2005, 01:02 PM
I am very AFRAID of the Oakland A's. We play some of our dumbest baseball against those guys. If we face them, Paul Konerko has to ride the bench, or bat 6th ........

Konerko had his first career five-hit game against Oakland on July 10.

Our main problem in that series was our pitchers couldn't get those MF'ers out.

MIgrenade
07-25-2005, 02:29 PM
They will tail off. Everyone running around panicking about the A's is like a bunch of peasants running around panicking about werewolves and vampires. The wild card will come down to Minny and one of Boston/NY. Oakland's pitching cannot sustain them.

Maybe, but if they get in by some fluke, I am not liking the first round. But with all the youth, that usually spells disaster in a playoff race.

spiffie
07-25-2005, 03:08 PM
And the White Sox were not going to finish higher than 4th in the division before the year started.

Results tell the story. Once everything gelled and the trade rumors died down, the team settled into a groove. I don't think they'll make the playoffs simply because I feel like 2 of the 3 AL East teams are going to get there, but I certainly would not even begin to discount their chances. To me they're even money with NY/BOS/BAL or MIN.

mr_genius
07-25-2005, 03:16 PM
No you didn't. You said "blaming the umpires is a laughable excuse"

and then you argued tooth and nail with me claiming that letting them hit 6 of our batters in 2 games was not the umpires ****ing us over.

whatever.

hahaha

you're comprehensive reading skills are weak at best

arguing with you has become boring and redundant. prepare to be ignored

your pal,
mr_genius

fquaye149
07-25-2005, 03:57 PM
hahaha

you're comprehensive reading skills are weak at best

arguing with you has become boring and redundant. prepare to be ignored

your pal,
mr_genius

you are full of ****. You can't change the past.

Originally Posted by TheOldRoman
umpires took away two wins from us

*****!

Try to tell me you weren't saying that those two games had nothing to do with the umpires. Take away those two games and we're 4-5 against the A's. All of a sudden it's not so scary. However, we lost those two because

a.) we didn't play perfectly
b.) the umpiring was brutal.

With a different set of umpires we almost certainly win those two games and we go 4-5 against the A's. That's the point. Pretending that's not the case doesn't make the A's any better.

Arkham
07-25-2005, 09:30 PM

Tail off sure, but tail off to what? I don't think they're going to go .734 the rest of the season, but after that run, they don't need to anymore.

A.T. Money
07-26-2005, 01:01 AM
Anyone ever think that the A's might actually win the division???? Only 5 games out.

twinsuck1
07-26-2005, 01:13 AM
Thats right Oakland Is now on top of the wildcard standings. I don't know about anyone else but this scares me a little. Thoughts anybody????

Arkham
07-26-2005, 02:05 AM
Thoughts anybody????

I think there's like three threads about this already in Talking Baseball.

soxfan1965
07-26-2005, 04:21 AM
Anyone ever think that the A's might actually win the division???? Only 5 games out.
Oops, they did it again. Pounded Cleveland. The A's finish up against the Indians, then Detroit, KC, Minnesota--and later, Minnesota, KC, Detroit, Cleveland again. I suspect they will have the same success the Sox had against the Central. Whether or not they actually go beyond the wild card and win the division, they certainly have high confidence and belief they will catch the Angels:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/games/2005-07-26-indians-athletics_x.htm . I don't think it's a matter of being afraid of the A's or ignoring them, but maybe increasing the level of scouting them, making adjustments to their game (particularly their pitching) and finding weaknesses to exploit. If they don't play the A's in the post-season--great--but it's never too early to prepare for a team like this if they do.

credefan24
07-26-2005, 10:23 AM
After watching the Sox last night and reading that the A's have been on streak, I started to think: If the Sox draw Oakland in the first round, what are our chances of actually beating them?
True, the Sox have had a tough time on the West Coast recentely, but I would have to think that Ozzie and the staff would learn from the regular season, and draw upon that and pull of a series victory. Honestly, I don't know much about Oakland's pitching staff. Besides Zito and Harden, who do they have? Is their bullpen any good?

I think come October, the Sox could take them in a 5 game series.

Everyone's thoughts?

BeviBall!
07-26-2005, 10:28 AM
We'd lose the best of seven in three games.

Patrick134
07-26-2005, 10:29 AM
The A's have lost so many first round series in recent years that just by law of averages, they'd be due to win one. I don't see them making the postseason though. They're very hot now, but watch for them to cool off in a big way.

MsSoxVixen22
07-26-2005, 10:30 AM
I don't know. It almost seems like Oakland has some kinda "voodoo" over the Sox. Personally, I'd rather see the Yankees get in. I don't think the Yanks wanna play the Sox. But, if we do play Oakland, hopefully Ozzie will tell them,you guys are better than Oakland and you can beat them. We'll have to wait and see.

dcb33
07-26-2005, 10:39 AM
I don't see them making the postseason though. They're very hot now, but watch for them to cool off in a big way.

The've been "hot" for nearly two months and now possess the 3rd best record in the American League. At some point they have to stop being referred to as medicore team on a fluke winning streak and start being regarded as a legitimate playoff contender.

Madvora
07-26-2005, 10:39 AM
I am still scared of Oakland, but can you imagine the feeling of having the Sox pummel them in the playoffs when it really counts?

downstairs
07-26-2005, 10:45 AM
We'd lose the best of seven in three games.

That made me chuckle.

I find myself- during this minor league (read: KC) tour we're doing right now- rooting more for all other MLB wild card contenders other than the A's and Flubs than I am rooting for the Sox...

Hendu
07-26-2005, 10:46 AM
This would not be a good scenario. When one team owns another team in the regular season, they usually own them in the playoffs too. Exhibit A: Twins vs Yankees the last few years.

downstairs
07-26-2005, 10:47 AM
The've been "hot" for nearly two months and now possess the 3rd best record in the American League. At some point they have to stop being referred to as medicore team on a fluke winning streak and start being regarded as a legitimate playoff contender.

Funny thing is how much we complained when this is how the Sox were characterized.

I respect the A's. They're a good team, with one of the most solid foundations in baseball. They're much like Atlanta (for different reasons). I won't count them out until they put together 2-3 years of terrible baseball.

Ol' No. 2
07-26-2005, 10:48 AM
After watching the Sox last night and reading that the A's have been on streak, I started to think: If the Sox draw Oakland in the first round, what are our chances of actually beating them?
True, the Sox have had a tough time on the West Coast recentely, but I would have to think that Ozzie and the staff would learn from the regular season, and draw upon that and pull of a series victory. Honestly, I don't know much about Oakland's pitching staff. Besides Zito and Harden, who do they have? Is their bullpen any good?

I think come October, the Sox could take them in a 5 game series.

Everyone's thoughts?If you can't beat anyone who comes your way you don't deserve to win the WS. Curses are for losers. Bring them on.

chisoxfanatic
07-26-2005, 10:49 AM
I'm still a believer that Steiny will find a way to win that AL East and Boston gets the Wild Card. I do not think Oakland will keep this up for the rest of the season...They have too many games against the Halos to make me believe they will make the playoffs.

downstairs
07-26-2005, 10:51 AM
This would not be a good scenario. When one team owns another team in the regular season, they usually own them in the playoffs too. Exhibit A: Twins vs Yankees the last few years.

I think that is true only when the "owning" team has constantly beat the other team's best.

Unfortunately, that is absolutely the case with us. Our top 3 pitchers started nearly every game we lost to them. I believe Buehrle's 3 starts all ended up in a loss. Garland lost. Garcia's 2 starts ended up in a loss.

downstairs
07-26-2005, 10:54 AM
If you can't beat anyone who comes your way you don't deserve to win the WS. Curses are for losers. Bring them on.

I agree somewhat, but I don't think we're talking about a "curse". Every great team has a somewhat lesser team that just matches up far better, as well may have a home park that doesn't work for the better team, etc.

Curses are not realistic, but bad matchups are. This is a lot of the reason why the best team doesn't win playoff series as much as you'd think.

Its realisitic that we could beat every single other AL team in a 5 or 7 game series other than the A's.

But... of course... if we get them, lets hope we can figure them out.

Ol' No. 2
07-26-2005, 10:57 AM
I agree somewhat, but I don't think we're talking about a "curse". Every great team has a somewhat lesser team that just matches up far better, as well may have a home park that doesn't work for the better team, etc.

Curses are not realistic, but bad matchups are. This is a lot of the reason why the best team doesn't win playoff series as much as you'd think.

Its realisitic that we could beat every single other AL team in a 5 or 7 game series other than the A's.

But... of course... if we get them, lets hope we can figure them out.I definately hope the Sox do not draw the A's in the playoffs. Not because I don't think they can beat them - they can and will. But because the wailing and gnashing of teeth on this board will become unbearable.

Sxy Mofo
07-26-2005, 10:58 AM
If you can't beat anyone who comes your way you don't deserve to win the WS. Curses are for losers. Bring them on.

I'd like to be all gung ho agreeing with you on this one. But i can't. I'd be scared. I think everyone should (except the team, of course) we've seen some weird things happen in the house of horrors.

TheOldRoman
07-26-2005, 11:01 AM
If you can't beat anyone who comes your way you don't deserve to win the WS. Curses are for losers. Bring them on.\
Damn straight. To the original question, what are the chances the Sox would beat the A's? 100%.

Madvora
07-26-2005, 11:01 AM
Hey, isn't it great that we already know that we're going to the playoffs on the 26th of July! AND with the best record!

rdwj
07-26-2005, 11:03 AM
I'd like to be all gung ho agreeing with you on this one. But i can't. I'd be scared. I think everyone should (except the team, of course) we've seen some weird things happen in the house of horrors.

Facing the A's in the 1st round scares me more than any other team. But, in all honesty, I don't think it really matters - A's, Yanks and Red Sox are all good teams that are going to be tough to beat.

So basically, I'll be scared no matter who the Sox face.

GAsoxfan
07-26-2005, 11:03 AM
They're very hot now, but watch for them to cool off in a big way.

It seems as if the A's have been hot throughout the second half over the last four or five years. They start slow and then destroy everyone in the second half. Not only do I think they'll keep it up, I think they'll win the AL West.

jhill36
07-26-2005, 11:04 AM
They lead the wild card right now, and as much as I enjoy watching the Minnesota Twins lose, I'm kinda counting on them! And they're letting me down big time. By letting the Oakland As overtake them in the wild card race and possibly ruin this Sox fan's postseason dreams, it begs the question: will Oakland stay hot? It also means we gotta make a major deal, not a small one. The latest scuttlebutt is Rowand for Griffey, and getting Burnett only to ship him to Philly for Billy Wagner. I like it.

scottjanssens
07-26-2005, 11:04 AM
The A's have lost so many first round series in recent years that just by law of averages, they'd be due to win one.

The law of averages doesn't apply here since neither baseball games nor playoff series are random. And even if they were random, this is much closer to the Gambler's Fallacy.

downstairs
07-26-2005, 11:08 AM
The law of averages doesn't apply here since neither baseball games nor playoff series are random. And even if they were random, this is much closer to the Gambler's Fallacy.

Thank you! God, I hate the term "due" in sports. Ugh!

If its fair to say that a .333 hitter gets a hit 1 out of 3 times... and he whiffs on his first 2 at bats in a game, is he due for a hit? No. His chances are pretty much 1 in 3 once again.

EDIT: ...and especially when the "due" spans multiple seasons for a team. They have different players! Its a new year!

Mark
07-26-2005, 11:11 AM
The A's have certainly been consistent in their AL Division Series matchups since 2000:

2000 Lost in 5 to New York
2001 Lost in 5 to New York
2002 Lost in 5 to Minnesota
2003 Lost in 5 to Boston
2004 Did not qualify

If the Sox do draw the A's, with the pitching staffs that both teams have, runs will certainly be at a premium.

downstairs
07-26-2005, 11:12 AM
I definately hope the Sox do not draw the A's in the playoffs. Not because I don't think they can beat them - they can and will. But because the wailing and gnashing of teeth on this board will become unbearable.

So are you saying that if you had a preference you would not care? If it turns out, say, that we match up against the Red Sox real well (say we sweep them in Boston, and it just seems we own them), you wouldn't rather them?

The White Sox are the best team in baseball, and I believe will be at the end of the season. I believe they will be the fair and honest favorite to win it all.

But that doesn't mean that there aren't some matchups that are worse than others...

dcb33
07-26-2005, 11:13 AM
Hey, isn't it great that we already know that we're going to the playoffs on the 26th of July! AND with the best record!

OR that the A's will not beat Anaheim to take the West AND beat out the Twins, Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles, and Indians to win the Wild Card?

I think the entire premise of this thread is putting the cart in front of the horse. There's way too much that can happen the next 9 weeks in both a tight Wild Card race and to the Sox, so it's really pointless to start freaking out now about the possibility of facing the big, bad A's come October.

scottjanssens
07-26-2005, 11:16 AM
so it's really pointless to start freaking out now about the possibility of facing the big, bad A's come October.

Well yeah, but what else are you going to talk about until game time, trade rumors?:cower:

Lip Man 1
07-26-2005, 11:20 AM
Before trying to make a prediction on the playoffs, let's wait and see what the Sox team looks like after the trade deadline and then again on September 1st after the waiver deadline.

Lip

Sxy Mofo
07-26-2005, 11:22 AM
Before trying to make a prediction on the playoffs, let's wait and see what the Sox team looks like after the trade deadline and then again on September 1st after the waiver deadline.

Lip

I think it's time for another white flag trade.

Madvora
07-26-2005, 11:24 AM
They lead the wild card right now, and as much as I enjoy watching the Minnesota Twins lose, I'm kinda counting on them! And they're letting me down big time. By letting the Oakland As overtake them in the wild card race and possibly ruin this Sox fan's postseason dreams, it begs the question: will Oakland stay hot? It also means we gotta make a major deal, not a small one. The latest scuttlebutt is Rowand for Griffey, and getting Burnett only to ship him to Philly for Billy Wagner. I like it.

Wow, you're covering a lot of ground here...

The A's - of course they can make the playoffs, they're leading the wild card now.

Other Oakland threads...
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54910

Griffey...
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54528

Burnett...
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54615
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54892

mike squires
07-26-2005, 11:30 AM
All I can say is it would be awesome and I would need at leat a 6 pack, maybe 12 to help settle the nerves! It would be exciting. October baseball at home against a team that we play poorly against. Scary, but fun!

I think our team will come ready to play (Not that they didn't in 93 or 00) but they would actually get the job done this time.

jhill36
Thanks for the links, esp. the Griffey one.

CHI_SOX_4_LIFE
if we trade rowand for griffey i will be full of an extreme amount of rage :angry:

Lip Man 1
07-26-2005, 11:41 AM
Mike:

Well I'd hate to be the team that gives Billy Beane his first post season series win. Talk about a nightmare...

Lip

jhill36
07-26-2005, 11:48 AM
if we trade rowand for griffey i will be full of an extreme amount of rage :angry:

Do you realize that Crede is having a better year offensively than Rowand is? If you have a chance to get Griffey, you pull the trigger. It won't happen of course, which should spare you the rage.

harwar
07-26-2005, 11:49 AM
The As' are really starting to tick me off.
Just who do they think they are winning all the time.I heard during the oakland broadcast last night that they have won more games after the all star break that any team in baseball in the last 5 or 6 years.
I'm getting weary of being afraid of oakland,so screw em.
I hope we have to go through the yankees and the red sox to get to the world series just so there is no doubt about who the best team is.

fquaye149
07-26-2005, 11:49 AM
If the Sox draw Oakland in the first round, what are our chances of actually beating them?

13 in 42.

For God's sake what are you looking for here? "Yes we'll lose to the A's. We can't beat the A's"? Or "Bring em on! We'll beat the A's"?

Talk is very very cheap and we don't play the A's again. If we end up facing the A's in the playoff, well it'll happen. Nothing we said in July on the message board will be worth much of anything.

soxrme
07-26-2005, 11:52 AM

yes lets get there first:smile:

FoulkeFan
07-26-2005, 11:56 AM

I agree with this 100%!

GAsoxfan
07-26-2005, 11:56 AM
Do you realize that Crede is having a better year offensively than Rowand is?

Why do you say that?

scottjanssens
07-26-2005, 11:57 AM
Do you realize that Crede is having a better year offensively than Rowand is? If you have a chance to get Griffey, you pull the trigger. It won't happen of course, which should spare you the rage.

I'm curious to what your definition of better offense is. I suppose if it's HRs then you're right.

Crede: .253/.306/.436/.742, 75 H, 13 HR, 28 XBH, 43 RBI, 37 R
Rowand: .291/.346/.409/.755, 101 H, 7 HR, 26 XBH, 40 RBI, 53 R

SkeetSkeetAmit
07-26-2005, 11:59 AM
I would also be super raged if Rowand was traded. He's just starting to heat up this year, which will be great to hold this huge lead, perhaps increase it by a lot more, and carry his offense into the post season. He's also a distraction on the bases which is key for the SOX to continue their aggressive base running... He's got 12 SB's, but taking the pitcher's focus off the hitter is part of Ozzie's game plan. He's great defensively as well... The leader in the outfield and future captain of this team.

Madvora
07-26-2005, 12:01 PM
Do you realize that Crede is having a better year offensively than Rowand is?

Well, Crede does have more HR's and RBI, but look at those averages.

Rowand - AB 347, AVG .291, OBP .346, HR 7, RBI 40
Crede - AB 296, AVG .253, OBP .306 , HR 13, RBI 43

infohawk
07-26-2005, 12:03 PM
Too a certain extent the playoffs become a crapshoot. Whichever team gets hot will advance. Conversely, a really good team that had been hot can go stone cold. For an example of getting hot, look at the Marlins in 2003 or the Red Sox last year. The Yankees had a 3-0 lead in the ALCS, and absolutely laid a drubbing on the Red Sox in one of those games. Unfortunately for the Yankees, the Red Sox got red hot and won 8 straight games against the Yanks and Cardinals. I'm still in awe over that!

I'm always a bit skeptical when I hear that "such and such" a move will put a team over the top. Great moves cannot guarantee anything other than to some degree lessening (not eliminating) the possibility that a team will go cold.

scottjanssens
07-26-2005, 12:05 PM
Well, Crede does have more HR's and RBI, but look at those averages.

Rowand - AB 347, AVG .291, OBP .346, HR 7, RBI 40
Crede - AB 296, AVG .253, OBP .306 , HR 13, RBI 43

Their offensive performance is closer than their BA would indicate. While Crede get's fewer hits, he's out-slugging Rowand. Crede has had a hand in 80 runs while Rowand has had a hand in 93 runs. It's very close but I'd have give the edge to Rowand. At any rate, you really couldn't say one is performing significantly better than the other. But if I were to put money on one to pull away from the other, my money's on Rowand.

PAPChiSox729
07-26-2005, 12:12 PM
Their offensive performance is closer than their BA would indicate. While Crede get's fewer hits, he's out-slugging Rowand. Crede has had a hand in 80 runs while Rowand has had a hand in 93 runs. It's very close but I'd have give the edge to Rowand. At any rate, you really couldn't say one is performing significantly better than the other. But if I were to put money on one to pull away from the other, my money's on Rowand.

I would agree. But to me, I think they both could do much better. Not to say that they are doing poorly, but I think we have yet to see Rowand or Crede at their peak. I am glad they are both here. They are good on defense, solid with the bats, and play hard.

Vernam
07-26-2005, 12:12 PM
If you can't beat anyone who comes your way you don't deserve to win the WS. Curses are for losers. Bring them on.'Nuff said. :gulp:

VC

GAsoxfan
07-26-2005, 12:19 PM
I would agree. But to me, I think they both could do much better. Not to say that they are doing poorly, but I think we have yet to see Rowand or Crede at their peak. I am glad they are both here. They are good on defense, solid with the bats, and play hard.

Both have been hitting better lately. Rowand hit .284 in June and .329 in July. Crede hit .275 in June (after batting .155/.194 in May) and is hitting .302 in July so far.

ode to veeck
07-26-2005, 12:23 PM
Enough As threads! Move all this crap to the right forum, and it ain't the Clubhouse!

Meantime, go Sox!

MisterB
07-26-2005, 12:35 PM
I think it's time for another white flag trade.

:tealpolice:

"Now slowly step away from the keyboard with your hands up..."

denev1
07-26-2005, 12:36 PM

What is it about Griffey that say's "pull the trigger" is it the four games he's played in the last 5 years?????

jhill36
07-26-2005, 12:39 PM
I'm curious to what your definition of better offense is. I suppose if it's HRs then you're right.

Crede: .253/.306/.436/.742, 75 H, 13 HR, 28 XBH, 43 RBI, 37 R
Rowand: .291/.346/.409/.755, 101 H, 7 HR, 26 XBH, 40 RBI, 53 R

It would've been more accurate for me to say Rowand is playing no better offensively than Crede is. Has Aaron been Mr. Clutch for us this season? No question. I'll never forget that San Diego game.

I'm just saying that Aaron's offensive contribution, while great, is not at the elite level of a, say, Griffey. And he doesn't have the postseason experience that Junior does. Getting Griffey for Rowand might help send our run production into the stratosphere, which is what we're going to need if Oakland does make it.

veeter
07-26-2005, 12:40 PM
Do you realize that Crede is having a better year offensively than Rowand is? If you have a chance to get Griffey, you pull the trigger. It won't happen of course, which should spare you the rage. If you think Crede is having a better offensive year than Rowand, turn in your Sox fan card at the door. What games have you been watching? The ones where Aaron is hitting .400 with men in scoring position and two outs? Yea, let's trade the heart of our team for an EXTREMELY expensive injury prone puss. Your post has given me rage!!!

fquaye149
07-26-2005, 12:45 PM
What is it about Griffey that say's "pull the trigger" is it the four games he's played in the last 5 years?????

:rolleyes: it might be his gold glove defense (though it has declined a little) or it might be

.284/.364/.534/.898
21 HR 65 RBI 59 R

Or this: 93 games played.

Then again, I don't think he's worth what we'd give up for him.

Brian26
07-26-2005, 12:46 PM
Well, if the players go in with the same attitude as everyone in this thread, we'll get swept out of our socks like we did in 2000.

Hopefully the players don't give a **** and put these guys in their place once and for all. The Sox will sweep the A's in three. Done. Bring on Boston in the ALCS.

shoota
07-27-2005, 04:43 AM
I've been thinking about the chances of Oakland winning the Wildcard, worrying if the Sox's dream season would end in the first round.

I've been reading others here say the same, I've been hearing Sox friends say it too. But now it's too the point where I say bring them on. We're better than them.

If the Sox do draw the A's in the first round of the playoffs, the Chicago media would fill the airwaves with non-stop drama of how bad the Sox play Oakland. They would happily speculate that the Sox won't advance.

Because of the Sox's poor record against Oakland, if they were to play Oakland in the first round--and win, it would provide immeasurable confidence for use through the ALCS and World Series.

And as others here have mentioned, Moneyball doesn't work in the playoffs. Oakland has a history of failing to get past the first round, so they would be under pressure too.

Scared of Oakland? Naw, bring 'em on.

SSN721
07-27-2005, 07:30 AM
I'm still scared of matching up with them but I feel if you cant beat every team in your league you dont deserve to get to the series anyway.

denev1
07-27-2005, 11:35 AM
:rolleyes: it might be his gold glove defense (though it has declined a little) or it might be

.284/.364/.534/.898
21 HR 65 RBI 59 R

Or this: 93 games played.

Then again, I don't think he's worth what we'd give up for him.

I'd have a hard time just taking on his salary much less trading Rowand. From 02-05 Jr's played in a grand total of 300 (yes that includes this years 93) games with a 262 avg. I mean so far he's playing his game this year, but how long will that last?

Flight #24
07-27-2005, 11:42 AM
I'd have a hard time just taking on his salary much less trading Rowand. From 02-05 Jr's played in a grand total of 300 (yes that includes this years 93) games with a 262 avg. I mean so far he's playing his game this year, but how long will that last?

Griffey's current cash salary is $6mil, i.e. approximately Carl's $4.5mil. The deferred portion is another 6mil. If you can get some relief on the deferral, Griff is a deal that shouldn't have a huge impact on future flexibility, especially when factoring in the increased likelihood he gives you of making and advancing in the playoffs.

denev1
07-28-2005, 10:42 AM
Griffey's current cash salary is $6mil, i.e. approximately Carl's $4.5mil. The deferred portion is another 6mil. If you can get some relief on the deferral, Griff is a deal that shouldn't have a huge impact on future flexibility, especially when factoring in the increased likelihood he gives you of making and advancing in the playoffs.

It must just be me that thinks the risk to reward ratio is way off for a player thats only consitent stat since 2001 has been that he will end up on the DL. I don't see how the injury waiting to happen named Griffey increases your chances of making the playoffs...

Malgar 12
07-30-2005, 05:48 PM
I suggest a new strategy, root for the A's...since they're only 2.5 back of the Angels. Then when they take over the AL West Lead they won't be our first round match up anymore! :D:

SoxSpeed22
07-30-2005, 05:52 PM
I suggest a new strategy, root for the A's...since they're only 2.5 back of the Angels. Then when they take over the AL West Lead they won't be our first round match up anymore! :D:Then we'd have to play the Angels in the first round! I don't want either one in the first round. Flawed logic! The Yankees are the ones.

Malgar 12
07-30-2005, 07:21 PM
Anybody but the A's is the logic. We've played the Angels tough...Boston tough...and I imagine that we'll play the Yankees tough.

chaerulez
07-30-2005, 07:25 PM
Sure the A's have a real good record against us this year, but I still don't fear them. Aside from Harden, they don't have a starter that can really dominate. Zito isn't as good as he used to be, and their offense still isn't anything special.

ClaudelSleptHere
07-30-2005, 08:02 PM
I could care less who we play in the playoffs. If you're gonna win it all, you're gonna have to beat good teams. There's no backing in to a title.

RadioheadRocks
07-30-2005, 08:08 PM
I suggest a new strategy, root for the A's...since they're only 2.5 back of the Angels. Then when they take over the AL West Lead they won't be our first round match up anymore! :D:

A. G. H. = Ain't Gonna Happen!!!

Mohoney
07-30-2005, 08:16 PM
I agree with this. We can play the Angels, and if the Yankees can win the AL East, they will take care of Oakland for us. They always beat Oakland in the 1st round.

Then we take on the Yankees in the ALCS and shove it right up Cub/Red Sox obnoxious annoying loser nation's ass.

Tragg
07-30-2005, 09:35 PM
I'd rather play the As. Coincidence and timing is why we lost to them - bad luck @ Oakland and we just didn't play well at home.

Lip Man 1
07-31-2005, 01:49 AM
Coincidence how many times since 2001?

No thank you.

Lip

SOX ADDICT '73
07-31-2005, 02:31 AM
I can see it now...once the trade deadline has passed, every sixth thread will be some Dark Cloud lament about how the A's are doing, how the Sox will get swept out of the first round, how this will be 2000 all over again...and thus, the spectre of Oakland will cast a pall over the final two months of a magical season for the Chicago White Sox.

The media is fond of reminding Sox fans that the regular season is meaningless (their point being that, despite having the best record in the majors, this team is set up to fail in the playoffs). Why can't we turn that mindset around and apply it to their Oakland bugaboo? I don't care what happened the last four years. In October, when it really matters, and whoever their opponents turn out to be, our White Sox will take care of business.

FarWestChicago
07-31-2005, 02:41 AM
Why can't we turn that mindset around and apply it to their Oakland bugaboo?Because this board is riddled with Oakland A's crossdressers, AKA FOBB's. And they forget their beloved A's get bounced in the first round every year.

gosox41
07-31-2005, 08:36 AM
I'd rather play the As. Coincidence and timing is why we lost to them - bad luck @ Oakland and we just didn't play well at home.

I also have no problem playing the A's. On paper, they don't scare me as much as Boston or the Angels. Any team in the AL is beatable in a short series this year. It's time for the Sox (and their fans) to get over this whole dark cloud that the A's have over us and beat them.

Bob

Madvora
08-01-2005, 03:26 PM
In other news...

Oakland is starting a 4 game set in Minnesota tonight. I'll be following this carefully. I don't mind the Twins sweeping this at all, as long as we keep winning.

Jerome
08-01-2005, 04:32 PM
I personally hope that the A's take over the Angels and the Yankees and Red Sox make the playoffs. I am not afraid of the Yankees or the BoSox, but the A's, I just am afraid of.

If we were to face them though, I think Freddy Garcia would be a key. Both teams have good 1-2 starters but I would say the Garcia has a big edge over Danny Haren.

Fenway
08-01-2005, 06:32 PM
make the playoffs?

I think Oakland going to blow by the LA Angels of Orange County

SOXfnNlansing
08-04-2005, 07:18 PM
Oakland is only 1 game back of LAA. They start a 12 game homestand next Tuesday vs LAA, MN, BAL, and KC. The next two weeks imo will show what they're all about and where they're going. http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=oak

OzzieBall2005
08-04-2005, 07:29 PM
If thats the case, where they are going to be going is directly to Chicago for the ALDS. The Twins, O's, and Royals might not win a game, they way things are going for these teams. The series vs. the Angels will be an intense one I presume.

SOXfnNlansing
08-04-2005, 07:36 PM
before they go home next Tuesday they play a nice 3 game set @KC:(:

oeo
08-04-2005, 07:36 PM
Lets hope if anything they win the West, so someone else can knock them out first round.

SoxSpeed22
08-04-2005, 07:47 PM
It might be a 12-game sweep with the way they've been playing and the way LA, Minny, B-More and KC have been playing.

elrod
08-04-2005, 09:42 PM
Oakland will win the AL West and play the winner of the AL East (probably Boston) in the first round. We will get either the Yankees or Angels. One possibility has Cleveland getting the wild card and us playing Boston (who will be the lowest AL leader when it's all done with).

Madvora
08-05-2005, 09:50 AM
Oakland will win the AL West and play the winner of the AL East (probably Boston) in the first round. We will get either the Yankees or Angels. One possibility has Cleveland getting the wild card and us playing Boston (who will be the lowest AL leader when it's all done with).
Wow, I just took a look at Cleveland's schedule and they really have a chance at this thing. Look at their opponents...

DET
KC
TB
TEX
BAL
TB
TOR
DET
MIN
DET
MIN
OAK
KC
SOX
KC
TB
SOX

Having Baltimore and Minnesota on your schedule looks a whole lot different now, doesn't it?

Rooney4Prez56
08-05-2005, 09:55 AM
I'm scared about the A's makin the playoffs. I don't want the Sox to have to battle with them. We all know how the Sox fare against the A's.

soxfan1965
08-11-2005, 07:16 AM
Wednesday, the A's came from behind to beat the Angels in front of a capacity crowd in Oakland. The Angels know they need to stop the A's today because the A's are facing Minnesota (3), Baltimore(3), Kansas City(3), Detroit (3) and Baltimore (4) before facing the Angels again. Not that they will go 17-0, but will likely come out well.

FarWestChicago
08-11-2005, 05:18 PM
Wednesday, the A's came from behind to beat the Angels in front of a capacity crowd in Oakland. The Angels know they need to stop the A's today because the A's are facing Minnesota (3), Baltimore(3), Kansas City(3), Detroit (3) and Baltimore (4) before facing the Angels again. Not that they will go 17-0, but will likely come out well.Yeah, I didn't see you bragging about your boy Hardy and your A's yesterday after the Angels pasted them. Man I hate A's fans. <insert overused chunks tag>

patbooyah
08-11-2005, 05:21 PM
Yeah, I didn't see you bragging about your boy Hardy and your A's yesterday after the Angels pasted them. Man I hate A's fans. <insert overused chunks tag>

frankly, i hope the A's win their division. That way i can see the sox finish off their first round sweep of anaheim here in los angeles.

SOXfnNlansing
08-11-2005, 07:47 PM
A's won today. Sole possession of 1st place. I've noticed since PG said that LAA was the best team in the AL about 8 weeks ago, they have started sliding. The next 2 weeks will be interesting. I think we will know more about the playoff positioning by the end of the month. CLE,LAA,OAK? One team will stay home (NYY are done) imo.

MIgrenade
08-11-2005, 07:59 PM
If you look at the schedules, Cleveland has the easiest but they do have to play Oakland and the White Sox. If they can sustain a run they can make it.