PDA

View Full Version : Home Run Derby-Who is watching?

ChiSoxlukes
07-10-2005, 11:43 PM
This homerun derby of 05 is quite disgusting to me. Where are the actual homerun leaders at?? No Ensberg, Dunn, D Lee, Soriano, A Rod, Manny, Pujols, or Konerko. I mean Ivan Rod is now off the juice and he currently has 5 homeruns and nobody wants to see Hee Seop Choi. This different country format is ridiculus and I will not be watching. What do you guys think?:angry:

FarWestChicago
07-10-2005, 11:47 PM
The home run derby has sucked for years. It's time has come and gone. It's as bad as the NBA slam dunk contest at this point.

TheOldRoman
07-10-2005, 11:58 PM
The home run derby has sucked for years. It's time has come and gone. It's as bad as the NBA slam dunk contest at this point.
Whoa, whoa. Let's not say anything we cant take back. The slam dunk contest isn't just bad, it's "Godfather III" bad.:cool:

TomParrish79
07-11-2005, 12:11 AM
Homerun Derby hasnt lost its appeal, I just think they are making a huge mistake changing the format up this year.

SomebodyToldMe
07-11-2005, 12:15 AM
Whoa, whoa. Let's not say anything we cant take back. The slam dunk contest isn't just bad, it's "Godfather III" bad.:cool:

I've never heard of this movie which you speak of? :cool:

Jjav829
07-11-2005, 12:16 AM
I think this format is awful. Hee Seop Choi? Ivan Rodriguez? Jason Bay? ***? These aren't HR derby participants. I read that they actually invited Ichiro but he turned it down since he only has 6 home runs on the year. Hell, I wish Ichiro would have accepted the invitation. At least it would be interesting to see Ichiro attempt to hit HRs. So many people talk about the power he shows in batting practice, so I think it would be interesting to see Ichiro.

I'll watch it and root on El Caballo. Still, the HR Derby would be much better with guys like Dunn, Pujols, Cabrera, Arod, etc.

FarWestChicago
07-11-2005, 12:45 AM
Homerun Derby hasnt lost its appeal, I just think they are making a huge mistake changing the format up this year.Yeah, and you probably think interleague play isn't totally played out, too. :rolleyes:

MUsoxfan
07-11-2005, 01:03 AM
I'll watch it, but I'm guilty of being a fan of watching LARGE homeruns

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-11-2005, 01:40 AM
I'll watch it, but probably due to a lack of other things to do. I agree that the format sucks. I nearly hurled when I saw Choi was invited to be in it. What kind of crap is that? They should've invited Matsui instead from Japan to be in it, unless they did and he turned it down(which I would assume he did). I'm probably going to cheer for Mark Teixeira or Carlos Lee.

ilsox7
07-11-2005, 01:50 AM
I went to the Derby in 98 and 99. Those rocked (even if it was steroid infested). Since then, it has pretty much sucked.

StockdaleForVeep
07-11-2005, 02:23 AM
They should make it inside the park derby, have 2 of the best outfielders in baseball and the top defensive rated catcher play defense and see what hitter can hit the most

StockdaleForVeep
07-11-2005, 02:27 AM
I think this format is awful. Hee Seop Choi? Ivan Rodriguez? Jason Bay? ***? These aren't HR derby participants. I read that they actually invited Ichiro but he turned it down since he only has 6 home runs on the year. Hell, I wish Ichiro would have accepted the invitation. At least it would be interesting to see Ichiro attempt to hit HRs. So many people talk about the power he shows in batting practice, so I think it would be interesting to see Ichiro.

I'll watch it and root on El Caballo. Still, the HR Derby would be much better with guys like Dunn, Pujols, Cabrera, Arod, etc.

They did a whole stupid interview with ichiro last year about his homerun power durin the derby, he was being serious in saying he doesn't have power and he just makes good contact and whatnot. The interviewer was a real jag bag and tryin to make witty jokes with him and ichiro was either stumped by the language barrier or didnt care cuz he just kept explaining how he hits a homerun on good days in good conditions and does better hitting singles\doubles

IT will be hilarious if someone like choi wins and mlb can tout its diversity and how someone like choi can win when in the regular season he's gonna lose out to the MLB leader of hr's by like 40

Foulke You
07-11-2005, 03:14 AM
I think Comerica Park will make for one dud of a home run derby. I don't think you'll see anybody put up those 15+ type of rounds in this park. David Ortiz probably has the best chance to win this since RF is a bit shorter than LF in Comerica. However, I'll be rooting for El Caballo to win it.

I'm a baseball freak and I'll probably end up watching it despite the 25 commercial breaks and having to put up with Chris Berman's baseball expertise as well as his amazing home run call of "back back back, Gone!"

fquaye149
07-11-2005, 04:08 AM
I'll watch it, but probably due to a lack of other things to do. I agree that the format sucks. I nearly hurled when I saw Choi was invited to be in it. What kind of crap is that? They should've invited Matsui instead from Japan to be in it, unless they did and he turned it down(which I would assume he did). I'm probably going to cheer for Mark Teixeira or Carlos Lee.

Choi is not from Japan. What then does Choi have to do with Matsui?

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-11-2005, 04:55 AM
Choi is not from Japan. What then does Choi have to do with Matsui?
Japan doesn't have a representative and I would rather see Matsui than Choi in the derby if MLB had to go as low as inviting a non-all star to fill out the derby. It's an absolute insult to the fans to change the format of the HR derby and prevent the best HR hitters from going. Instead of getting guys like Pujols, Dunn, A-Rod, Ensberg, we get a .230 hitter who isn't even an all star and hit 7 of his 13 HRs in a span of 4 games.

ilsox7
07-11-2005, 05:03 AM
Japan doesn't have a representative and I would rather see Matsui than Choi in the derby if MLB had to go as low as inviting a non-all star to fill out the derby. It's an absolute insult to the fans to change the format of the HR derby and prevent the best HR hitters from going. Instead of getting guys like Pujols, Dunn, A-Rod, Ensberg, we get a .230 hitter who isn't even an all star and hit 7 of his 13 HRs in a span of 4 games.

Except no one really cares about the home run derby anymore, hence the change in approach to it this year.

doublem23
07-11-2005, 05:05 AM
:tool
We're just prepping everyone so you're not totally shellshocked when I dump the American and National Leagues and we do a USA vs. World All-Star Game.

LauraJ14
07-11-2005, 10:26 AM
Except no one really cares about the home run derby anymore, hence the change in approach to it this year.

Actually the home-run derby in 2003 at the Cell with Pujols and Garret Anderson was really good but maybe that was because I was in the park.

RKMeibalane
07-11-2005, 11:05 AM
Actually the home-run derby in 2003 at the Cell with Pujols and Garret Anderson was really good but maybe that was because I was in the park.

I'm sure the HR Derby is more fun to watch in person than it is on TV. I would probably like it if I got to see it from the stands, as opposed to hearing Berman spew out garbage for two hours.

LuvSox
07-11-2005, 11:34 AM
I'm sure the HR Derby is more fun to watch in person than it is on TV. I would probably like it if I got to see it from the stands, as opposed to hearing Berman spew out garbage for two hours.

It is better in person. As a matter of fact, I've never bothered to catch the re-run of 2003 because I don't want to ruin the memory with Berman's mouth.

As for this year, I have to work so I'll miss it. No big loss.

SOXPHILE
07-11-2005, 01:02 PM
:tool

"So what are you all saying ? That with all the changes and tweaking I'm doing with baseball and how I am handling the steroids situation, that I'm a dope, and a horrible commisioner ? Well, maybe we'll just expand by 6 more teams, that should fix things."

ChiSoxRowand
07-11-2005, 01:14 PM
I'll be watching it even though it won't be one of the better home run derbies. Comerica is not the best place for a derby and the format is dumb. I don't care if the game is in his hometown, there is no way I-roid should be in it with only five jacks. They should have chosen Beltran or Delgado as the representative from Puerto Rico. The reason Choi is in the derby is because they couldn't get a representative from Japan because Matsui didn't want to be in it. Choi is from Korea.

dcb33
07-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Yeah, and you probably think interleague play isn't totally played out, too. :rolleyes:

Well, it obviously isn't. With the proliferation of miraculous technological advancements such as MLB.tv, it's nearly impossible for us AL fans to get the chance to see NL players we wouldn't normally get to see if it weren't for interleague!

It would've been really cool had they found a way to have the Home Run Derby at Tiger Stadium as was rumored when it was first announced that Detroit would host this year's ASG, although I'm sure the cost of doing so would've been more than prohibitive.

I will probably tune in tonight if for no other reason than it's been a few months since I last got the chance to watch Berman make a fool of himself on national TV.

WhiteSox16K
07-11-2005, 02:48 PM
Reasons for me to watch: C Lee, David Ortiz, and Mark Teixeira

- C Lee, Sox connection
- Ortiz and Teixeira, will hit some monster shots and one will probably win - right field is shorter then left at Comerica

I love HRD, it's something I've always enjoyed. I always did when I was younger too. My friends and I would all go out to the baseball fields and have a Home Run Derby. We'd even do it with wiffle balls in my back yard. It's the best contest in pro-sports. No judging, no do overs...It's just what they do every day. Hit the ball over the fence the most and win.

Rocklive99
07-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Choi in the HR Derby? LOL

See White Sox Josh, I told you that someone doesn't have to be on the AllStar Team to be in the HR Derby