PDA

View Full Version : Good Sun-Times article on Konerko

Jjav829
07-11-2005, 12:36 AM
The Sun-Times has a nice piece on Konerko's time with the Sox and some of the stuff that led up to his time with the Sox. Among the highlights are:

Konerko on his contract situation...
''We'll have plenty of time after the season to hash it all out,'' the remarkably civil first baseman says. ''There is nothing right now to talk about. My personal situation when it comes to that kind of stuff is, 'Anything that's not a help to this team winning every night could be a distraction, and it's not important.' That's it.''

Ozzie on Konerko...
"Paulie plays the game right,'' Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said. ''He has his ups and downs, like everyone else, but every day he comes here ready to play and to win ballgames. The good chemistry on this team is somebody's [doing].

Konerko's agent on PK's contract situation...
''There is no question that it is all the Sox' call,'' said Craig Landis, Konerko's agent. ''All we can do is go about our business until we hear from them. But you must also factor in one other thing: Money isn't everything to Paul. He and his wife love Chicago. He adores the White Sox' fans. He loves the team. And he has the utmost respect for Jerry Reinsdorf and [general manager] Kenny Williams.''

Ozzie on Konerko again...
''One thing that surprised me when I got this job ... was the number of people who talked really badly about [Paul],'' Guillen said. ''But few of those people had played with him or left the team in happy [circumstances]. I also think there is very much he does that never shows up in a box score.''

Konerko on his own performance...
''The way the team has played has bought me more time as far as being consistent this season,'' he said. ''I've swung the bat OK, but when you're winning, a lot of negatives can go unnoticed.
''Good or bad, I show up every day. When you go home in the offseason and you're done with it all, I was no less proud of myself after the 2002 season, when everyone wanted to shoot me for playing so bad, as I was after last year, when everybody thought I had a great year. The numbers go up and down, and that gets frustrating at times. But when you look back on it, I think I've been pretty consistent in going to the park and playing hard every day, and I take pride in that.''

Love him or hate him, it's a good article. It gives you a more in depth look into Paul Konerko the person. I know everyone likes to think they know exactly the type of person Konerko is based on a few things he says to the media, but this gives a little better view into Paul Konerko the person rather than just reading into some of his comments.

Link (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-paulie10.html)

JB98
07-11-2005, 12:50 AM
I've been the subject of ridicule on this forum because I defend Konerko. All I can say at this point is, if Konerko is the clubhouse cancer that quite a few around here believe him to be, Ozzie and KW would get rid of him. That hasn't happened yet, and all indications seem to point toward Paulie being with us at least through the end of this year. Read into that what you will.

Hopefully, today's performance is a sign of better things to come in the second half for Paulie. I think he would admit that his selection to the All-Star game this year was by default. He is one of four hitters on the club that need to show more consistency at the plate in order for us to reach our goal of winning the World Series. And of those those four hitters (Rowand, AJ and Uribe are the others), Paulie is the most important because he is the clean-up hitter. I want to see 40 HR and 120 RBIs on the board by the end of the season, and I want to see that average in the .270s.

TheOldRoman
07-11-2005, 12:56 AM
I've been the subject of ridicule on this forum because I defend Konerko. All I can say at this point is, if Konerko is the clubhouse cancer that quite a few around here believe him to be, Ozzie and KW would get rid of him. That hasn't happened yet, and all indications seem to point toward Paulie being with us at least through the end of this year. Read into that what you will.

Hopefully, today's performance is a sign of better things to come in the second half for Paulie. I think he would admit that his selection to the All-Star game this year was by default. He is one of four hitters on the club that need to show more consistency at the plate in order for us to reach our goal of winning the World Series. And of those those four hitters (Rowand, AJ and Uribe are the others), Paulie is the most important because he is the clean-up hitter. I want to see 40 HR and 120 RBIs on the board by the end of the season, and I want to see that average in the .270s.
Um, KW tried to get rid of Konerko. He wanted to move him instead of Lee in the offseason, but couldn't find takers. There is no reason to not praise him in the press. PK is moody, and has diarrhea of the mouth. There is no reason to make him disgruntled and hurt him in future contract negotiation with other teams. Besides, for all we know, KW might be trying to trade him now. You never know.

JB98
07-11-2005, 01:07 AM
Um, KW tried to get rid of Konerko. He wanted to move him instead of Lee in the offseason, but couldn't find takers. There is no reason to not praise him in the press. PK is moody, and has diarrhea of the mouth. There is no reason to make him disgruntled and hurt him in future contract negotiation with other teams. Besides, for all we know, KW might be trying to trade him now. You never know.

He might be, but if KW supposedly tried to trade him in the offseason and couldn't find any takers, what makes you think he's going to find any takers now? PK's value was higher last offseason than it is now.

I'm not sure if KW tried to move Konerko instead of Lee. I don't think Ozzie liked Lee too much. Overall, I enjoyed having El Caballo on the team, but he dogged it from time to time and that doesn't sit too well with Ozzie. Certainly, Lee is the more well-rounded player of the two, and we got a nice player in Podsednik in return for him. My feeling is the reason KW traded Lee and not Konerko was because the Brewers had a hole in the outfield but not at first base. Overbay is a good player, and Fielder is coming on quick. They had no use for PK.

TheOldRoman
07-11-2005, 01:14 AM
He might be, but if KW supposedly tried to trade him in the offseason and couldn't find any takers, what makes you think he's going to find any takers now? PK's value was higher last offseason than it is now.

I'm not sure if KW tried to move Konerko instead of Lee. I don't think Ozzie liked Lee too much. Overall, I enjoyed having El Caballo on the team, but he dogged it from time to time and that doesn't sit too well with Ozzie. Certainly, Lee is the more well-rounded player of the two, and we got a nice player in Podsednik in return for him. My feeling is the reason KW traded Lee and not Konerko was because the Brewers had a hole in the outfield but not at first base. Overbay is a good player, and Fielder is coming on quick. They had no use for PK.
Good point. However, some players get injured, and stuff happens. Houston would trade for Konerko right now, Bagwell is out for the year, and they really need another bat. Milwaukee needs another big bat, so we might be able to ship them Konerko and a few prospects for Overbay, seeing as Konerko has more power. Brewers fans wouldn't revolt; they would see it as a big move because they were going after someone who will be one of the top free agents. Milwuakee will be dumping Overbay in the offseason reguardless. They could either use Konerko or trade him to another team for more prospects and let Prince play now. The Mets also desperately need a 1B, and are very stupid. Hell, we might be able to get 3 top prospects from them.

JB98
07-11-2005, 01:26 AM
Good point. However, some players get injured, and stuff happens. Houston would trade for Konerko right now, Bagwell is out for the year, and they really need another bat. Milwaukee needs another big bat, so we might be able to ship them Konerko and a few prospects for Overbay, seeing as Konerko has more power. Brewers fans wouldn't revolt; they would see it as a big move because they were going after someone who will be one of the top free agents. Milwuakee will be dumping Overbay in the offseason reguardless. They could either use Konerko or trade him to another team for more prospects and let Prince play now. The Mets also desperately need a 1B, and are very stupid. Hell, we might be able to get 3 top prospects from them.

If the Brewers move Overbay, they won't send him to us for Konerko. Their whole idea is to clear their logjam at first base to make room for Fielder. I can't imagine why they'd want a half-year rental of Konerko when they aren't even in contention. Milwaukee is trying to build a team for the future, and the presence of Konerko would stall the development of Fielder, just as the presence of Overbay is holding Fielder back now. Prince is ready. He has nothing left to prove in AAA. A third team would have to get involved for a move involving both Overbay and Konerko.

I wouldn't trade Konerko for prospects. Houston is a fit, but I'd want something from them that could help us win right now. Do they have that? Any moves we make should be designed to help us win this season, not in 2010. You are right that the Mets are extremely stupid. Perhaps they'll give us Pedro for Paulie.

TheOldRoman
07-11-2005, 01:44 AM
If the Brewers move Overbay, they won't send him to us for Konerko. Their whole idea is to clear their logjam at first base to make room for Fielder. I can't imagine why they'd want a half-year rental of Konerko when they aren't even in contention. Milwaukee is trying to build a team for the future, and the presence of Konerko would stall the development of Fielder, just as the presence of Overbay is holding Fielder back now. Prince is ready. He has nothing left to prove in AAA. A third team would have to get involved for a move involving both Overbay and Konerko.

I wouldn't trade Konerko for prospects. Houston is a fit, but I'd want something from them that could help us win right now. Do they have that? Any moves we make should be designed to help us win this season, not in 2010. You are right that the Mets are extremely stupid. Perhaps they'll give us Pedro for Paulie.
Well, the Brewers don't plan on playing Prince full time until 2006. They are only 7.5 out of the wildcard, and weirder things have happened in the past. The most important thing for the Brewers is finishing above .500 for the first time since 92, I think. They want more power, and Konerko would provide that. They would also get draft picks when he leaves in the offseason. They would be able to get more prospect wise for Overbay than in the offseason, and then spin Konerko to someone else or just plug him in for the rest of the year. The only way we would trade Konerko for prospects is if we could turn those prospects into another ace starter or Todd Helton at a much reduced price.

FarWestChicago
07-11-2005, 01:59 AM
Overall, I enjoyed having El Caballo on the team, but he dogged it from time to time and that doesn't sit too well with Ozzie.And Paulie has the advantage of it requiring a geologist, rather than a manager, to detect whether he is dogging it.

Mr. White Sox
07-11-2005, 05:50 AM
I wouldn't trade Konerko for prospects. Houston is a fit, but I'd want something from them that could help us win right now. Do they have that? Any moves we make should be designed to help us win this season, not in 2010.

If you really want to go the goofy "What's the Score?" route, and think up some trades that are plausible but still won't happen, consider this:
Konerko to Houston
Houston sends prospects to Milwaukee
Milwaukee sends Overbay to CWS

owensmouth
07-11-2005, 10:22 AM
If you really want to go the goofy "What's the Score?" route, and think up some trades that are plausible but still won't happen, consider this:
Konerko to Houston
Houston sends prospects to Milwaukee
Milwaukee sends Overbay to CWS

And the White Sox end up on the short end or the stick. Overbay is a step down from Konerko.

jshanahanjr
07-11-2005, 10:49 AM
Great game yesterday Paulie! Too bad it didn't result in a win. Hopefully he can come out of the All-Star break and carry the team for a while.

fquaye149
07-11-2005, 11:19 AM
And the White Sox end up on the short end or the stick. Overbay is a step down from Konerko.

lol.

a.) Overbay puts up similar numbers in every category but homeruns (yet his slg is not too far down because he actually hits DOUBLES...strange concept!)

b.) he is paid so much less than Konerko it's not even funny

c.) he is signed long term

Overbay's not having as good a year as last year, yet:

his BA is 30+ points higher than Paul's. His obp is 30 points higher than Paul's. His OPS is 20 points higher than Paul's. Playing for an anemic Milwaukee offense, he still only has 14 less RBIS than the cleanup hitter on the best team in baseball, Paulie, who was hitting behind the less than impressive Aaron Rowand for most of the year.

This deal is a pipe dream, yes, but if you honestly think it's a bad deal for US, you're crazy.

RKMeibalane
07-11-2005, 11:22 AM
And Paulie has the advantage of it requiring a geologist, rather than a manager, to detect whether he is dogging it.

With the way he puts his head down and "digs" all the way to first base, I'm surprised he hasn't reached the center of the earth, yet.

JB98
07-11-2005, 01:07 PM
And Paulie has the advantage of it requiring a geologist, rather than a manager, to detect whether he is dogging it.

At least Paulie hasn't gone into his home-run pose and turned a double off the wall into a single yet. That's the only thing I didn't like about CLee. He was lazy and stupid on the bases.

Well, actually I guess PK has turned a double off the wall into a single. But it wasn't because he wasn't running hard. He's slower than my dead grandma.

Flight #24
07-11-2005, 01:47 PM
My personal situation when it comes to that kind of stuff is, 'Anything that's not a help to this team winning every night could be a distraction, and it's not important.' That's it.

Good article, but someone may want to give Paulie a heads-up. Saying negative things about teammates, however off-handedly you do it, isn't a "help to this team". That would include his comments on Uribe & Frank.

Also, the 2d part of the article highlights to me one reason why Konerko is a "media favorite". He's willing to take time and make friends with writers. I'm not saying that he does it in an underhanded, "If I'm nice to them, they'll be nice to me" kind of way, but it certainly makes them view him as a team leader when he may or may not be one otherwise.

Bottom line, I still don't think he's worth $12mil/yr. Not close. If it comes to that, I'd rather move Dye to 1B and take that $12mil to the open market to sign a marquee name or a couple of $4-8mil guys.

maurice
07-11-2005, 03:56 PM
''One thing that surprised me when I got this job ... was the number of people who talked really badly about [Paul],'' Guillen said.

:o:
I think it's safe to say that he's not talking about WSI.

Deadguy
07-12-2005, 02:24 PM
Konerko on his contract situation...

''We'll have plenty of time after the season to hash it all out,'' the remarkably civil first baseman says. ''There is nothing right now to talk about. My personal situation when it comes to that kind of stuff is, 'Anything that's not a help to this team winning every night could be a distraction, and it's not important.' That's it.''

I'm still laughing. :rolleyes:

hawkjt
07-12-2005, 02:31 PM
Paulie sure has Ozzie fooled,I guess. Oz must not realize that Paul is a cancer destroying his clubhouse right under oz's nose. And here I thought Oz was supposed to be on top of his team's temperment.

Oz should be filled in on the real situation by folks on WSI that know the real story. Surprised that they know more about his team than him.

Deadguy
07-12-2005, 02:45 PM
Paulie sure has Ozzie fooled,I guess. Oz must not realize that Paul is a cancer destroying his clubhouse right under oz's nose. And here I thought Oz was supposed to be on top of his team's temperment.

Oz should be filled in on the real situation by folks on WSI that know the real story. Surprised that they know more about his team than him.

1. Teal is your friend.

2. I would think the least Ozzie could do as a manager is keep problems with players on his team out of the public eye, even if they had to do with players I hate, like The Great White Nope.

3. Clubhouse cancer...not a clubhouse cancer.....don't care. If you pay attention to half the messages in the Konerko bashing threads, they have to do with his production (or lack there of).

fquaye149
07-12-2005, 02:49 PM
1. Teal is your friend.

2. I would think the least Ozzie could do as a manager is keep problems with players on his team out of the public eye, even if they had to do with players I hate, like The Great White Nope.

3. Clubhouse cancer...not a clubhouse cancer.....don't care. If you pay attention to half the messages in the Konerko bashing threads, they have to do with his production (or lack there of).

notice how the negative word IS out about Paulie, regardless of Ozzie's perception. So much for the claim of certain posters here that the negativity surrounding Paulie is all in WSI's head.

PicktoCLick72
07-12-2005, 05:48 PM
Of course WSI would know what goes on in the clubhouse better than Ozzie. I mean what dies Ozzie know.

fquaye149
07-12-2005, 06:17 PM
Of course WSI would know what goes on in the clubhouse better than Ozzie. I mean what dies Ozzie know.

Of course Ozzie speaks for everyone.

no teal because it's true. Ozzie knows exactly what everyone on the team is thinking at all times. He is a swami

like boomer