PDA

View Full Version : Request for Ideas

TornLabrum
07-10-2005, 10:51 PM
If you haven't checked out this week's "Fallen Arches" column, please do so. I'm looking for some dos and don'ts of USCF etiquette to pass on to the bandwagon jumpers and Cubs fans who are now starting to come out of the woodwork. I've come up with some in the column, but I'd love to have more ideas to use in next week's column.

Please email them to me. I'd appreciate that you give me your name (or at least your first name, or something like Bill in Sycamore) to credit you with in the column.

Thanks.

GiveMeSox
07-10-2005, 11:32 PM
If you haven't checked out this week's "Fallen Arches" column, please do so. I'm looking for some dos and don'ts of USCF etiquette to pass on to the bandwagon jumpers and Cubs fans who are now starting to come out of the woodwork. I've come up with some in the column, but I'd love to have more ideas to use in next week's column.

Please email them to me. I'd appreciate that you give me your name (or at least your first name, or something like Bill in Sycamore) to credit you with in the column.

Thanks.

Do visit the wonderful Bullpen sports bar, Jimbos, First Base, Cobblestones, etc when going to the Cell (Yes thats right cubs fans there are bars in and around the stadium)

Dont urinate on peoples property and lawns like its the unending cespool of yuppiedum and trendyness known as wrigleyville.

chisoxfanatic
07-10-2005, 11:33 PM
Already sent with great detail...Check your email, Hal.

mike squires
07-10-2005, 11:35 PM
Absolutley, no wave.

Do not throw opposing hitters homeruns back on to the field.

Sing Na Na Na Na when Nancy plays it.

Michael Penny

DumpJerry
07-10-2005, 11:38 PM
Absolutley, no wave.

Do not throw opposing hitters homeruns back on to the field.
I sent you an email which included these two. I think you'll get some great ideas!

guillen4life13
07-10-2005, 11:48 PM
Don't come... there are gang-bangers everywhere and some lunatic will attack someone on the field!

On a more serious note...

1) Eat the food there. It's good!

2) Don't talk on your cell phone unless it's an emergency.

3) Know who is up and who's winning at all points in time.

4) Don't get drunk to the point of belligerence (sp).

5) Don't cheer on pop ups. Pop ups aren't home runs--they're outs.

6) Don't be obscene to Sox players. Support them, and boo if they don't put forth the effort... but don't be obscene and vulgar... to them. The other team's players... say what you please but don't push the wrong buttons on the wrong people.

7) Treat security guards weith respect.

8) If you have kids, check out Fundamentals.

9) Try out the shower and the mist room.

chitownhawkfan
07-10-2005, 11:48 PM
The only real Idea I can think of is dont talk on your cellphone during the game in your seat, and if you have seats that are visible on camera STOP WAVING. Otherwise, what a great article, this really needed to be said. When Johnson went deep today the WGN cameraman zoomed in and you could see people yelling to "throw it back" I heard the same thing when I went to the game on Wednesday. I had to explain we dont do that at the Cell to a bunch of yahoos in my section in a not so pleasant manner. If this is what it means to be soldout constantly no thanks.

:andy
We dont throw back homers

The Critic
07-11-2005, 02:19 AM
Don't talk on your cell phone unless it's an emergency.

Know who is up and who's winning at all points in time.

Don't get drunk to the point of belligerence (sp).

Don't cheer on pop ups. Pop ups aren't home runs--they're outs.

Don't be obscene to Sox players. Support them, and boo if they don't put forth the effort... but don't be obscene and vulgar... to them. The other team's players... say what you please but don't push the wrong buttons on the wrong people.

Treat security guards with respect.

None of this stuff is exclusive to Cub fans. All of this happens everywhere. I saw examples of each one of these at USCF on Saturday. I even had a guy decked head to toe in Sox gear ask us "who's pitching today?" while Buerhle was ON THE MOUND.
My only request to any fan at any sporting event is to enjoy the game and be respectful to the people around you. There's not enough consideration for the people around you anymore, and it's really discouraging.

doublem23
07-11-2005, 04:05 AM
I'd love to help you out, Hal, but again, you prove to have all the bases covered, IMO. I especially appreciate the last part about Albert Von Tilzer and Jack Norworth. In 1998, when Harry passed, my brother (a Cub fan, but an intelligent one... most of the time) was in 6th grade and had to do a report on Caray for an English class. That's what he wrote about and he got an F on his paper because his teacher said, "everyone knows Harry Caray wrote 'Take Me Out to the Ballgame'" for Cub fans.

TornLabrum
07-11-2005, 08:31 AM
I'd love to help you out, Hal, but again, you prove to have all the bases covered, IMO. I especially appreciate the last part about Albert Von Tilzer and Jack Norworth. In 1998, when Harry passed, my brother (a Cub fan, but an intelligent one... most of the time) was in 6th grade and had to do a report on Caray for an English class. That's what he wrote about and he got an F on his paper because his teacher said, "everyone knows Harry Caray wrote 'Take Me Out to the Ballgame'" for Cub fans.

Yeah, he wrote it in 1982! What the heck was your brother thinking?????

Stroker Ace
07-11-2005, 09:07 AM
1. Turn the phone OFF!
2. Don't vandalize the statues
3. Know what you are talking about when you try to talk trash
4. Eat some churros

itsnotrequired
07-11-2005, 09:21 AM
8) If you have kids, check out Fundamentals.

You should check out Fundamentals even if you don't have kids. Try and out-run Pods!

Sxy Mofo
07-11-2005, 09:27 AM
That whole cell phone behind the plate waving to the people at home is incredibly annoying. However, you do have to love that foul ball straight back that the same guy dives out of the way of like a big wussy.

Ol' No. 2
07-11-2005, 09:47 AM
Sinks are for WASHING HANDS!!!

Trash cans are for trash.

tebman
07-11-2005, 09:59 AM
Watch the game.
If you don't know what play just happened or why a move has been made, ask. Chances are good that there'll be a knowlegeable fan nearby who can answer your question.
Give credit for effort, even to the visiting team. If a fielder makes a good play, it's appropriate to give polite applause and acknowledge it.
Enjoy the food -- it's the best selection in MLB.
Pay attention to the songs Nancy Faust plays on the organ -- they nearly always have an amusing significance (examples from Nancy's WSI interview: "For Craig Counsel I played the theme from Perry Mason and somebody suggested Spider Man for Snyder. I played Inky Dinky Spider for him, too. And there was In-A Gadda-da-Vida for Incaviglia, and Letís Get Physical for Vizquel and I Love Lucy for Rob Ducey.")
Remember that baseball is more fun and more satisfying if you feel like you're part of the game -- that's what makes White Sox baseball the better choice in town.
(from Tom in Bolingbrook)

nlentz88
07-11-2005, 10:03 AM
1. Stop by and say hello to Nancy.

2. Do NOT run onto the field.

3. Do NOT throw your garbage on the field, even if you're upset with a bad call or a poor play. Only Cubbie fans like to throw their garbage all over their "Shrine." Please respect the beautiful playing surface and keep it free of hotdog wrappers, beer cups, etc.

4. Please remove your cap/hat and face Old Glory when the National Anthem is played.*

* - I know that this last one is something that should be done at every stadium, but whenever I do see someone failing to follow this piece of etiquette I get a little annoyed. Wouldn't it be great if the patrons of USCF were known for their outstanding respect for the flag instead of tackling first base coaches?

- Nick from Rogers Park, Chicago

nlentz88
07-11-2005, 10:06 AM
Give credit for effort, even to the visiting team. If a fielder makes a good play, it's appropriate to give polite applause and acknowledge it.
Good point, Ted. I completely agree.

RavenswoodFan
07-11-2005, 10:41 AM
1. Stop by and say hello to Nancy.

2. Do NOT run onto the field.

3. Do NOT throw your garbage on the field, even if you're upset with a bad call or a poor play. Only Cubbie fans like to throw their garbage all over their "Shrine." Please respect the beautiful playing surface and keep it free of hotdog wrappers, beer cups, etc.

4. Please remove your cap/hat and face Old Glory when the National Anthem is played.*

* - I know that this last one is something that should be done at every stadium, but whenever I do see someone failing to follow this piece of etiquette I get a little annoyed. Wouldn't it be great if the patrons of USCF were known for their outstanding respect for the flag instead of tackling first base coaches?

Great point! Also clam up your pie hole during the National Anthem! It's disgraceful how many people yammer on while the Anthem is being sung.

Scott South Loop

Goose
07-11-2005, 11:07 AM
OK...I am rather new here, so please excuse the ignorance...

But, I think I am missing something. I looked around the site to find "Fallen Arches" and cannot find it anywhere. Is the article not posted yet? I am assuming that this is an ongoing article with different subject matter, so I was expecting an "older" article somewhere and cannot find it. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Sorry again if this is obvious to everyone but me, but I simply just don't see it.

LuvSox
07-11-2005, 11:28 AM
Stay in your seat during play. I hate people who have to get up and block your view every three minutes. Go goof around between innings.

Look around, see who is seated near you. Any kids? If so, keep the swearing to yourself.

tebman
07-11-2005, 11:33 AM
OK...I am rather new here, so please excuse the ignorance...

But, I think I am missing something. I looked around the site to find "Fallen Arches" and cannot find it anywhere. Is the article not posted yet? I am assuming that this is an ongoing article with different subject matter, so I was expecting an "older" article somewhere and cannot find it. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Sorry again if this is obvious to everyone but me, but I simply just don't see it.
Hal's column archive can be found here:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/hal.htm

There's a link at the bottom of his current article (featured and hotlinked on the WSI homepage) that goes to his previous articles.

It's good stuff!

Goose
07-11-2005, 11:39 AM
Hal's column archive can be found here:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/hal.htm

There's a link at the bottom of his current article (featured and hotlinked on the WSI homepage) that goes to his previous articles.

It's good stuff!

Thanks! I was looking for a "Fallen Arches" link on the home page and did not realize that I should be looking for Hal's column.

You made me a smarter WSIer today, and I thank you.

tebman
07-11-2005, 11:41 AM
Thanks! I was looking for a "Fallen Arches" link on the home page and did not realize that I should be looking for Hal's column.

You made me a smarter WSIer today, and I thank you.
No problem, my friend! Of course, just by virtue of being a WSIer, you're a smarter person. :cool:

dcb33
07-11-2005, 11:48 AM

:farmer
"However, there's no need to remove your cap for O Canada! It's irritating to see players and fans display their ignorance by giving the Canadian anthem the same level of respect and attention they give to the Star Spangled Banner. Countless people have sacrificed and died to make America the greatest country on Earth by giving everyone the freedom to do what they want. If not for the greatness of America, the fans here today wouldn't be able to enjoy a game of baseball, and they players certainly wouldn't be able to make a handsome living playing the sport. I'm not saying O Canada isn't a nice song, becuase it is, but as an American, please don't give it the same amount respect and reverence as the Star Spangled Banner."

mjharrison72
07-11-2005, 11:48 AM
Don't know if anyone's said this, and I'm sure the people who drive and park have bigger complaints than I do, but I could write a book about post-game CTA etiquette.

For starters, people, PLEASE put enough money for your return fare on your card if you take the El. It's $1.75 per ride, so $3.50 is necessary to get you there and back.

Further, if you don't have enough money on your card, please move expeditiously back toward the fare machines, apologizing to those who had to wait while you kept re-inserting your card with less than $1.75 on it.

Finally, once on the El platform, please move as far down as possible. The transit employees aren't standing there yelling this just to hear themselves. It improves the flow of people and gets everyone home more quickly.

Thanks,
Mike in Chicago

SoxFanTillDeath
07-11-2005, 02:18 PM
Stay in your seat during play. I hate people who have to get up and block your view every three minutes. Go goof around between innings.

Look around, see who is seated near you. Any kids? If so, keep the swearing to yourself.

This is a definite must. The Sox are marketing as family friendly, so the fans ought to do their part in this manner. I was at the game Saturday and there was a group of kids behind me. I gave them my sox hat to wear and talked to them throughout the game (their parents were too busy drinking or something like that). They seemed to have an awesome time.

A little courtesy can create a sox fan for life (or till death... :cool: )

<RANT>
Oh, and how about a little respect for the people working at the park. I had a group of 25 at the game and I had a little trouble (2 of the tickets weren't scanning for some reason), so I went to the group rep there on the main concourse after we got it all straightened out and there were two people in front of me. One of them was trying to force the girl to do something that he had been told specifically on the phone days before was not possible and he kept yelling at the girl that he was a season ticket holder and she needed to make him happy, as if his season tickets made him God and a multi-million dollar organization should completely stop to make sure that he is content. When he finally left I just chatted with the girl for a few minutes to help cool her off (I was surprised at how professional and calm she was), and calmly explained what happened with my tickets.

I have seen so many people get all mad when the ushers ask to see their tickets or ask them to move or when the concessions people are taking too long...how about a little respect and understanding that I'm sure they want to put up with you much less than you want to put up with them. Don't yell, it won't help...they can't do anything about your problems anyways, but you can.
</RANT>

Never, ever throw balls back (I had to do the same thing chitownhawkfan and explain to everyone around me that we don't throw homerun balls back in this park as they were all chanting for that to be done), and don't get up in the middle of an inning and stand there. If you have to get up do it between pitches and be discreet about it. The one time I stood up during an at-bat (Thomas when it was 2-0 A's and we had runners on 2nd and 3rd) I checked behind me to make sure I wasn't blocking anyone's view, which I obviously wasn't as I was in the back row of the outfield.

Oh, and I don't mind cell phones, but keep the calls quick.

Goose
07-11-2005, 02:32 PM
"However, there's no need to remove your cap for O Canada! It's irritating to see players and fans display their ignorance by giving the Canadian anthem the same level of respect and attention they give to the Star Spangled Banner. Countless people have sacrificed and died to make America the greatest country on Earth by giving everyone the freedom to do what they want. If not for the greatness of America, the fans here today wouldn't be able to enjoy a game of baseball, and they players certainly wouldn't be able to make a handsome living playing the sport. I'm not saying O Canada isn't a nice song, becuase it is, but as an American, please don't give it the same amount respect and reverence as the Star Spangled Banner."

IMO, this is simply an arrogant way of thinking! WHENEVER a national anthem is being played, you should give it the same respect you would give your own. There are Canadians that come to the park to watch the game (whether it be specifically to see the Sox, if the Jays are in town, or simply to see the park) and not taking off your hat, chatting with others, or in any way disrespecting THEIR anthem is a reflection on not only Sox fans, but of Americans as a whole. Put yourself in their shoes...what would you think if you visited Toronto to watch the Sox play the Jays and the Jays fans disrespected our anthem?

SoxFanTillDeath
07-11-2005, 03:05 PM
IMO, this is simply an arrogant way of thinking! WHENEVER a national anthem is being played, you should give it the same respect you would give your own. There are Canadians that come to the park to watch the game (whether it be specifically to see the Sox, if the Jays are in town, or simply to see the park) and not taking off your hat, chatting with others, or in any way disrespecting THEIR anthem is a reflection on not only Sox fans, but of Americans as a whole. Put yourself in their shoes...what would you think if you visited Toronto to watch the Sox play the Jays and the Jays fans disrespected our anthem?

I would hope they would have the decency to stand only because not to would be a blatant disrespect, but I wouldn't expect them to show anywhere near the respect for my anthem as they would show for theirs as they aren't citizens of my country.

Goose
07-11-2005, 03:19 PM
I would hope they would have the decency to stand only because not to would be a blatant disrespect, but I wouldn't expect them to show anywhere near the respect for my anthem as they would show for theirs as they aren't citizens of my country.

The problem I have is this statement...

"However, there's no need to remove your cap for O Canada! It's irritating to see players and fans display their ignorance by giving the Canadian anthem the same level of respect and attention they give to the Star Spangled Banner."

There is a difference between having pride in your country and disrespecting another country's anthem. Come on..."display their ignorance"?? To me, it is more ignorant to NOT show the same level of respect for another anthem as you would your own. Of course you would not feel the same level of pride and respect for another country's anthem, but to not respect another anthem as you would your own to me is in and of itself ignorant.

dcb33
07-11-2005, 03:36 PM

Don't tell that to Ed Farmer...:rolleyes:

C-Dawg
07-11-2005, 04:16 PM
For starters, people, PLEASE put enough money for your return fare on your card if you take the El. It's $1.75 per ride, so $3.50 is necessary to get you there and back.

Further, if you don't have enough money on your card, please move expeditiously back toward the fare machines, apologizing to those who had to wait while you kept re-inserting your card with less than $1.75 on it.

I can spot the ones who will have trouble boarding the CTA in advance - they are almost always wearing some sort of Cub stuff. Whether its a fare-card that's run out of money, or just plain not knowing which way to put the card into the turnstyle, it seems to be a Cub thing. One would think that being fans of a team with no parking (where taking public transportation is almost mandatory) they would know how to board a CTA train.

Oh, one other thing: If you're seated in the leftfield corner, or near the Sox bullpen, that friendly guy wearing #59 who signs autographs, poses for pictures, and smiles and waves at everyone, is Bullpen Catcher Man Soo Lee. No, he's not a player, but he's there for every game and always is as friendly as he seems. It is amazing how many times I've seen people go down to get his autograph before the game, only to wonder "Who the hell was that guy? I've never heard of him". C'mon, this isn't the Cubs - our fans know the whole team and not just three or four guys.

MarySwiss
07-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Please do not cop an attitude if somebody jumps up--caught up in the excitement--and spills some beer on you. Unless you're a Wicked Witch, you probably won't melt.

When I lived in Chicago, if I went to a Sox game and DIDN'T have beer spilled on me, I felt slighted. It's part of the experience.

BTW, great column, Hal!

TornLabrum
07-11-2005, 07:49 PM
Please do not cop an attitude if somebody jumps up--caught up in the excitement--and spills some beer on you. Unless you're a Wicked Witch, you probably won't melt.

When I lived in Chicago, if I went to a Sox game and DIDN'T have beer spilled on me, I felt slighted. It's part of the experience.

BTW, great column, Hal!

Thanks. However, if they spill beer on me, I feel that they owe me a beer.

MarySwiss
07-11-2005, 08:21 PM
Thanks. However, if they spill beer on me, I feel that they owe me a beer.

I beg to disagree. That's if they spill YOUR beer. If they spill THEIR beer, them's the breaks.

And if they spill a latte or somesuch on you, they should be slapped--and known as the Cubs fans that they are.

StillMissOzzie
07-12-2005, 12:29 AM
Just sent to TL:

If your seats are in left field, please do not attempt to organize those in your area to chant, "right field sucks!"

If your seats are in right field, please do not attempt to organize those in your area to chant, "left field sucks!"

Thanks!

SMO
:gulp:

nlentz88
07-12-2005, 10:21 AM
....please do not attempt to organize those in your area to chant, "right field sucks!" ....please do not attempt to organize those in your area to chant, "left field sucks!"

Good one! As a Sox fan, I like to watch the game on the field, listen to Nancy's organ work, hear the roar of the crowd, etc. Group chants about left and right field sucking just distract from the play on the field and the ballpark atmosphere.

Fungo
07-12-2005, 11:54 AM
Please don't chant "cubbies suck" on the ramps on the way out of the park. I know they suck, you know they suck, we all know they suck, but there is no need for the chant especially when we are not playing them. How about "whoever we just beat sucks"?

Also, treat yourself to a churro.