PDA

View Full Version : Who's kidding who

Paulwny
11-20-2001, 08:05 PM
This is turning into a circus with Bud as the ring master.

Expos still seek stadium lease despite uncertainty
Nov. 20, 2001
SportsLine.com wire reports

MONTREAL -- Even though they're far from certain about returning for another season, the Montreal Expos are trying to make Olympic Stadium a better baseball stadium.

Claude Delorme, the team's vice president of development and stadium operations, said Tuesday negotiations to replace the current lease -- which expires on Nov. 30 -- are taking place with the provincial government agency that operates Olympic Stadium.

"There are a series of issues, from a new playing surface to other operational issues, that we're trying to put into play," Delorme said.

"I want to try to resolve all the issues before I can say that we've completed these negotiations, but they've been ongoing for the past seven months. And the playing surface has always been at the root of these discussions."

Daver
11-22-2001, 07:51 PM
I think they would be better suited trying to get a real fan base as opposed to getting new turf,but I think dog sled racing has more fans than baseball in Montreal.

But then again what the hell do I know?

WinningUgly!
11-22-2001, 08:35 PM
As much as I'd hate to see anyone lose their baseball team, it's pretty hard to argue for Montreal. There are usually more people getting paid to be there(players, stadium employees, etc.) than paying to be there!

PaleHoseGeorge
11-22-2001, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
As much as I'd hate to see anyone lose their baseball team, it's pretty hard to argue for Montreal. There are usually more people getting paid to be there(players, stadium employees, etc.) than paying to be there!

It has become really popular to bash Montreal's support of their team, but I remember when they used to draw just fine. In fact, I remember Bowie Kuhn citing Montreal's success as one of his greatest achievements as commissioner in the book he wrote back in the mid-80's.

Let's not forget that baseball teams are for-profit business. Any business that is poorly managed is bound to eventually start losing money. I think Montreal's tepid fan support is more a function of a series of poor owners (and some stupid decisions by MLB regarding franchise territories) than anything else.

I'm laughing to know the owners plan to let Expos owner Lurie buy the Miami franchise if his Montreal franchise is contracted. How's that for "solving" your problem? Either these guys are morons for letting Lurie get away with this scam, or they are morons for thinking none of us would notice (or care) that they are collectively trying to pull this contraction scam pass us.

I suspect it is the latter of the two.

:tool
"This is an ugly word, this 'scam.'"

Daver
11-22-2001, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

It has become really popular to bash Montreal's support of their team, but I remember when they used to draw just fine. In fact, I remember Bowie Kuhn citing Montreal's success as one of his greatest achievements as commissioner in the book he wrote back in the mid-80's.

Let's not forget that baseball teams are for-profit business. Any business that is poorly managed is bound to eventually start losing money. I think Montreal's tepid fan support is more a function of a series of poor owners (and some stupid decisions by MLB regarding franchise territories) than anything else.

I'm laughing to know the owners plan to let Expos owner Lurie buy the Miami franchise if his Montreal franchise is contracted. How's that for "solving" your problem? Either these guys are morons for letting Lurie get away with this scam, or they are morons for thinking none of us would notice (or care) that they are collectively trying to pull this contraction scam pass us.

I suspect it is the latter of the two.

:tool
"This is an ugly word, this 'scam.'"

PHG you have just made my argument for the need of a REAL baseball commisioner,that does not answer to the owners or the players,but acts for the GAME itself.the wars between the players and the owners should not be more important than the GAME.I just wish that all involved could see this simple point.

But then again what the hell do I know?

WinningUgly!
11-22-2001, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by daver

PHG you have just made my argument for the need of a REAL baseball commisioner,that does not answer to the owners or the players,but acts for the GAME itself.the wars between the players and the owners should not be more important than the GAME.I just wish that all involved could see this simple point.

Amen to that!