PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Sox Get Swept At Home Postgame Thread

G-Ville Sox
07-10-2005, 05:25 PM
3 times today our pitchers fell behind in the count 3-0, once they worked their way back to 3-2, then the next pitch was a run scoring play (Kotsay Home Run, Johnson RBI Double, Swisher Home Run). You wonder if that was fatigue, or was there fear of the walk.

I thought it was interesting, any one else notice that?

Go Sox :gulp:

ondafarm
07-10-2005, 05:29 PM
Yeah, the umpire wasn't calling diddly for the Sox, today or any of the three games this series.

Rocklive99
07-10-2005, 05:39 PM
Throughout the league overall lately, I've seen a lot of HRs coming on 2 strike pitches, a lot on 0-2, just thought it was kind of weird/interesting

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-10-2005, 05:46 PM
Didnt VIZ just give up that hit on a 3-2 count?

buehrle4cy05
07-10-2005, 05:46 PM
Didnt VIZ just give up that hit on a 3-2 count?

Yep.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Yep.

damn it

Pasqua's Posers
07-10-2005, 05:57 PM
I am disgusted :angry: :angry: :angry:

RKMeibalane
07-10-2005, 05:58 PM
Here come the Dark Clouds. 'West is going to be pissed.

G-Ville Sox
07-10-2005, 05:59 PM
Why does Wille Harris suck so bad, does he have a sacrafice bunt this season?

Now he knows why he isnt a starter, and shouldnt be...hell I dont think he would start on most Double-A teams.

Terrible way to go into the break

Go Sox :gulp:

Young Gun
Not a way to go into the break.:angry:

PAPChiSox729
Well I said yesterday that I would take any heart-filled loss over the crap performance we got last night. Today was definately heart-filled and I really thought we were going to pull it out. It will be nice to get away for three days. We are still in good shape.

ilsox7
I am disgusted :angry: :angry: :angry:

Good for you.

Great first half. 9 game lead at the break and the best record in baseball. Can't ask for anything more than that.

Tough series here, but all good teams run thru bad stretches. This is why sweeping Detroit and TB is so important. Showed a lot of heart coming back today. Only other thing of importance from this series is I think Willie played himself off of the team.

Rest up boys...lots of season left!

itsnotrequired
Tribune headline tomorrow:

"Sox continue slide towards 2nd place"

Eh, what can you do? A's owned us this season. At least we can take comfort knowing we won't see them until next year (barring a bizarro playoff matchup).

Chicago83
07-10-2005, 06:00 PM
Let's not blow this out of proportion, tough loss screw the A's, let's enjoy a few days off and start a winning streak in Cleveland. All I have to say is screw the A's!

BeviBall!
07-10-2005, 06:00 PM
Positives:
1) No more Oakland.
2) Sox showed a lot of life and mettle coming back all day.
3) No more Willie.
4) KW will make a move for sure.
5) Slump will be broken up by the AS Break.

Negatives:
1) Our aces all got pummeled.
2) Our relievers got hammered.
3) Good crowds saw crappy baseball.

SABRSox
07-10-2005, 06:01 PM
Here come the Dark Clouds. 'West is going to be pissed.

The Dark Clouds and the aPAULogists.

Man, I hate the white shoes.

owensmouth
07-10-2005, 06:02 PM
Not a well pitched game. Eight walks given up. We hit pretty well but couldn't overcome the free passes.

Frater Perdurabo
07-10-2005, 06:02 PM
I'm going to focus on the positive.

Good game, Paulie! Let's hope it's a sign of things to come in the second half!

Despite the downer of this series, congrats to the team overall for a fantastic first half.

Thank goodness it's the All Star Break. All the players need to go home to vegetate on the couch in front of the TV (NOT ESPN, THOUGH!) or spend some time fishing or hunting. Anything to get their minds off baseball so they can come back mentally and physically relaxed and refreshed.

Crede needs to rest his back so he can be there for the stretch - the Sox will need his glove.

EdHerman12
07-10-2005, 06:03 PM
Oh yes, the world is gonna end, the Lions are gonna eat the Lambs, yada, yada, yada......we're still in 1st and we're gonna stay there. The ASB is coming just in the nick of time. If I were some of these guys...and you all know who they are....I'd spend the next few days taking a long look at myself in the mirror and decide what I need to do to help this club, and not hurt it....enough said. GO SOX! :gulp:

FielderJones
07-10-2005, 06:03 PM
The Dark Clouds and the aPAULogists.

Yeah, let's get rid of Konerko while his trade value is high.

Pasqua's Posers
07-10-2005, 06:04 PM
Good for you.

Great first half. 9 game lead at the break and the best record in baseball. Can't ask for anything more than that.

Tough series here, but all good teams run thru bad stretches. This is why sweeping Detroit and TB is so important. Showed a lot of heart coming back today. Only other thing of importance from this series is I think Willie played himself off of the team.

Rest up boys...lots of season left!

don't get me wrong, i'm disgusted that we lost. i still love the ball we're playing. even if we had 66-70 wins, i always have a rough day when the sox lose...

PAPChiSox729
07-10-2005, 06:06 PM
Not a well pitched game. Eight walks given up. We hit pretty well but couldn't overcome the free passes.

That is what did us in. If this team doesn't pitch well, we aren't going to win. Period. The good news is that the Sox have one helluva pitching staff. Rough series. I expect them to hit the ground running come Thursday.
:wink:

Sleep520
07-10-2005, 06:07 PM
Will I get banned if I mention that at least the attendance looked good today?

I will delete/edit the post if necessary...

Foulke You
07-10-2005, 06:07 PM
Everything is fine. The A's are not on our schedule for the rest of 2005.:D: Oakland=White Sox Kryptonite.

DumpJerry
07-10-2005, 06:08 PM
Look, the A's have our number this year, that's all. In years past, the top teams in MLB have all struggled against one team all year that was not otherwise doing well. We don't play the A's anymore this year, odds are they won't be in the playoffs, so let's just lick our wounds and march on forward. We still have plenty of baseball left including a whole heck of a lot of games against the AL Central, the teams we must beat and are beating!

delben91
07-10-2005, 06:08 PM
don't get me wrong, i'm disgusted that we lost. i still love the ball we're playing. even if we had 66-70 wins, i always have a rough day when the sox lose...

Hear, hear! It's always tough to see them lose, but man, what a first half, and a lot of heart being displayed today.

I love Ozuna's effort, but everyone should now realize how much Crede's glove means to this team.

Oh, and Willie, looks like you might be getting your starting job after all...enjoy Charlotte.

Enjoy the break fellas, you've most definitely earned it.

Go SOX! :gulp:

halfpricemonday
07-10-2005, 06:09 PM
Will I get banned if I mention that at least the attendance looked good today?

I will delete/edit the post if necessary...

Why take a chance on missing a great season? I'd start editing if I were you right now...

itsnotrequired
07-10-2005, 06:09 PM
Ozzie on Comcast right now.

Chisox353014
07-10-2005, 06:10 PM
F Oakland. :angry:

One thing I've always wondered about that team: do they issue you a mullet and a stupid soul patch when you join the team? They seem to be as much a part of the uniform as those ridiculous white shoes.

Sleep520
07-10-2005, 06:11 PM
Why take a chance on missing a great season? I'd start editing if I were you right now...

Well, it was my one and only "look at the bright side" moment today when the cameras showed the great crowd, so I thought it would be alright to throw that in there to see if any fellow Sox fans felt the same way?

To be honest, I am having trouble finding anything positive from the actual game or the sweep...

mrsamlowry
07-10-2005, 06:11 PM
Does anyone know offhand, or have somewhere to point me to,
to find out the Sox record against +.500 teams?

I hope Kenny waits till the Yankees/Twins/Boston stretch before he makes
a move. I have a feeling we have more holes than we realize.

Not a sky is falling guy, but I do believe we have to reasses how
good this team is. The low OBP and low team average are troubling.

As far as baseball power rankings go, I still think we are in the top 5,
but I hope we show a better effort against the better teams in the second half.

MSL

iamkoza
07-10-2005, 06:13 PM
boo willie harris, how can u be 5'2" tall & fast and not know how to bunt?

We made the front page of eAsTpn.com though, i guess its only worthy of mentioning the sox when they lose 3 in a row... im expecting a "fact or fiction: ozzie should be fired?"

Foulke You
I would be shocked if Willie Harris is still with the team after the all star break. I have to think Ross Gload will be here very soon and Willie will be the one sent down. Harris has been just dreadful to watch at the dish.

TheOldRoman
Today was just a horrible, disgusting game. The team gave effort, unlike the last two nights. We just lost.
My thoughts:
Didn't get off of work until the 7th inning, so I missed Garcia pitch. He apparently pitched poorly.
Cotts sucked it hard today. He has been great all year, but today he gave the game away.
Great game by Konerko. Good game by Rowand, but he pretty much ended the game swinging at crap and popping up the first pitch in the 11th.
Frank is now 0 for 4 career against Huston "I am inbred, and my parents cant spell" Street. He is a good pitcher, but Frank looked foolish against him.
Once again, the umpiring was horrible. Carl was called out on a pitch that was nowhere near the strike zone. Carl would have been another run, and we wouldn't have needed extras. We didn't have even a decent umpired game against the A's the entire year. Our pitching staffs have completely different strike zones.
Today's umpire was an egomaniacal piece of garbage. He threw out AJ because he realized he had made horrible calls, and didn't want to be upstaged (although the AJ call was correct). I hate the umpires like this bastard who crouch for an extra second or two and then stand and call the strike. He wanted to control the game. He wanted to get attention, and he did it.
Nick Swisher is a mediocre baseball player. He humiliated our staff. His average has soared to .246. He is probably batting .220 against he rest of the league, and .800 against the Sox. Dustin blew it today. If he doesn't give up the homer, we would have won it in the 9th.
We need Crede back.

TornLabrum
07-10-2005, 06:16 PM
One thing this series proved, at least to me, is that one thing the A's do get right is that you go deep into the count wherever possible and take walks if the opposing pitcher will give them to you. Hawk noted late in the game today that there were 8 A's walks today vs. 1 for the Sox. That could be one big reason we don't match up well with the A's.

Lip Man 1
07-10-2005, 06:17 PM
Sorry gang I'm pissed right now and won't apologize to anybody over it.

The A's are a .500 team period. Somebody is beating the crap out of them aren't they?

I'll give you the House of Horror's in Oakland, but in Chicago??? I'd have bet my life that with Garland, Buehrle and Garcia going they would have won at least one lousy game.

I hate the friggin A's, I hate Vizcaino, I hate Willie Harris and I'm beginning to hate Sunday because the Sox sure have made a habit of screwing the day up.

I'm not looking forward to the media garbage the next three days either since the Sox tanked at exactly the time the Cubs swept the Marlins.

These guys need to clear their heads and get their crap together for Cleveland. Remember Contreras goes Thursday!

Lip

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-10-2005, 06:18 PM
who gets the L?

itsnotrequired
07-10-2005, 06:19 PM
I'm beginning to hate Sunday because the Sox sure have made a habit of screwing the day up.

Lip

5-9 record on Sundays. Barf.

itsnotrequired
07-10-2005, 06:20 PM
who gets the L?

The Viz.

PAPChiSox729
We need Crede back.

Now how many people before the series' start would have expected someone to say that after it ended? I have to agree with you, though. I think we saw how important Joe is.

ilsox7
5-9 record on Sundays. Barf.

57-29 record on Mondays thru Sundays. Yay! :D:

Fenway
Oakland is on fire and now they have to be included in the Wild Card mix.

But White Sox are up 9 at the break. They play .500 with the Twins and keep beating the other Central teams they will coast in. RELAX

My Red Sox had a lost weekend in Baltimore, I will happy trade places with where Chicago is.

RELAX

The Twins better not look in the rear view mirror, they got a lot of traffic closing in on them

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/standings?type=wild&br=5&year=2005&column=gamesBehind&order=false&st=2

and in the NL where the heck did Houston come from?

iamkoza
07-10-2005, 06:21 PM
Sorry gang I'm pissed right now and won't apologize to anybody over it.

The A's are a .500 team period. Somebody is beating the crap out of them aren't they?

I'll give you the House of Horror's in Oakland, but in Chicago??? I'd have bet my life that with Garland, Buehrle and Garcia going they would have won at least one lousy game.

I hate the friggin A's, I hate Vizcaino, I hate Willie Harris and I'm beginning to hate Sunday because the Sox sure have made a habit of screwing the day up.

I'm not looking forward to the media garbage the next three days either since the Sox tanked at exactly the time the Cubs swept the Marlins.

These guys need to clear their heads and get their crap together for Cleveland. Remember Contreras goes Thursday!

Lip

not exactly a streak stopping now is he :o:

BeviBall!
07-10-2005, 06:21 PM

That series scares me. It'll be strength of pitching against strength of pitching. As much as I'd love to take 3... I'm looking for a split... and perhaps a new starting pitcher on our roster via a trade.

TheOldRoman
07-10-2005, 06:22 PM
Now how many people would have expected someone to say that? I have to agree with you, though. I think we saw how important Joe is.
Ozuna showed us the last few days just how valuable Crede is to this team. No more of this Ozuna playing twice a week BS. I want Crede playing at least 6/7 games when he is healthy.

SoxSpeed22
Positives:
1) No more Oakland.
2) Sox showed a lot of life and mettle coming back all day.
3) No more Willie.
4) KW will make a move for sure.
5) Slump will be broken up by the AS Break.

Negatives:
1) Our aces all got pummeled.
2) Our relievers got hammered.
3) Good crowds saw crappy baseball.Couldn't agree more. I don't know what Oakland took before the games, but at least we won't see these ****s again. KW trade is imminent, this makes you wonder if Wille's gonna be included...
When the year started I never dreamed of a 57-29 record at the break so...HOORAY FOR THAT!:supernana:

iamkoza
Now how many people before the series' start would have expected someone to say that after it ended? I have to agree with you, though. I think we saw how important Joe is.

all we needed was to watch the gross incompetence that is pablo ozuna in the field, to appreciate our pop up hitting 3rd baseman :)

harwar
07-10-2005, 06:24 PM
I think the White sox really need to go off and forget all about baseball for 3 whole days and relax.
I also feel that some White sox fans might do the same.
Just stay away for a couple of days and come back with a fresh attitude or one or two of you guys might end up having a nervous breakdown :nuts: before we even get to the playoffs.

StillMissOzzie
07-10-2005, 06:25 PM
Lip

That's the part that annoys me.

They came into the Sox home, beat the Sox three best pitchers (Freddy in the daytime, even!)

The A's just own the Sox, they are the Sox' daddy, however you wanna put it. I sure hope the A's don't win the WC or it could be 2000 all over again-three and out.

SMO
:angry:

FielderJones
07-10-2005, 06:27 PM
To be honest, I am having trouble finding anything positive from the actual game or the sweep...

You mean Pauly breaking out of his slump in a big way is not positive? Oh yeah, that's right, pointing that out makes you an aPaulogist.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-10-2005, 06:27 PM
I think the White sox really need to go off and forget all about baseball for 3 whole days and relax.
I also feel that some White sox fans might do the same.
Just stay away for a couple of days and come back with a fresh attitude or one or two of you guys might end up having a nervous breakdown :nuts: before we even get to the playoffs.

agreed, i have alot of school work (summer school :angry::angry::angry:) to get done that i havent done due to the sox. I need to do alot of studying this week, and mabye ill go golfing. Great idea indeed, HarWar i think we need a break from the sox.

DarkCloudDropo
07-10-2005, 06:28 PM
I love you guys who just chalk it up to the fact that "The A's just have our number".

TheOldRoman
07-10-2005, 06:28 PM
all we needed was to watch the gross incompetence that is pablo ozuna in the field, to appreciate our pop up hitting 3rd baseman :)
Yeah, Crede probably would have popped up in those at bats in the 7th and 9th, but he also might have gotten a big hit. Crede has been clutch his whole career. Pablo has been anti-clutch this season. He has a decent average, but only 4 RBI. I can't remember a single clutch hit he got this season.

ilsox7
07-10-2005, 06:29 PM
I love you guys who just chalk it up to the fact that "The A's just have our number".

And I love you guys who cannot understand that the best teams ever to play the game go thru bad stretches. And losing 3 ina row isn't even all that bad of a stretch.

Jerko
07-10-2005, 06:32 PM
I have not read the thread, so forgive me if I repeat something. To me, there were 2 turning points. First, you don't bring in the closer while you are losing. For some reason, no matter who it is, they give up runs. Second, you don't play for the tie when you have no lineup left. Wille Harris should NEVER bat again in the major leagues. Other than that, Minny lost, Cleveland lost, and we have the same lead we had before. I can't wait until Thursday now.

JDsDirtySox
07-10-2005, 06:34 PM
I have not read the thread, so forgive me if I repeat something. To me, there were 2 turning points. First, you don't bring in the closer while you are losing. For some reason, no matter who it is, they give up runs. Second, you don't play for the tie when you have no lineup left. Wille Harris should NEVER bat again in the major leagues. Other than that, Minny lost, Cleveland lost, and we have the same lead we had before. I can't wait until Thursday now.

Twins Won. Just thought I'd point that out.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-10-2005, 06:34 PM
Minny lost, .

i wish

DarkCloudDropo
07-10-2005, 06:35 PM
And I love you guys who cannot understand that the best teams ever to play the game go thru bad stretches. And losing 3 ina row isn't even all that bad of a stretch.

Who doesn't understand that? How does that relate to my post?

TheOldRoman
07-10-2005, 06:35 PM
Actually, the Twins won. While we were humiliating ourselves against a poor A's team, the Twins were spliting a 4 game set with the lowly Royals. That cheers me up a little.:D:

CYGarland20
07-10-2005, 06:36 PM
I have not read the thread, so forgive me if I repeat something. To me, there were 2 turning points. First, you don't bring in the closer while you are losing. For some reason, no matter who it is, they give up runs. Second, you don't play for the tie when you have no lineup left. Wille Harris should NEVER bat again in the major leagues. Other than that, Minny lost, Cleveland lost, and we have the same lead we had before. I can't wait until Thursday now.Actually Minny won, we now have a 9 game lead

FielderJones
07-10-2005, 06:36 PM
Other than that, Minny lost, Cleveland lost, and we have the same lead we had before. I can't wait until Thursday now.

Nope.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore?gid=250710107

Cowhead418
07-10-2005, 06:40 PM
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: I.... hate..... Oakland. I'm torn right now. I'm happy that we don't play them again this season but I'm also disappointed that we won't have a chance to get back at them again. I hate losing to them and I hate them with all the hate I can give. I can only hope they receive the ass-pounding they deserve from whoever they play next.

Cowhead418
07-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Well the Angels just got swept by Seattle, the Twins only managed a split with KC, Florida got swept by the Flubs, and we got swept by Oakland so a lot of good teams had to settle with mediocrity or absolute suckiness the past few days.

Jerko
07-10-2005, 06:45 PM
i wish

Sorry guys, I was too mad to think straight there. :redface:

iamkoza
07-10-2005, 06:45 PM
Pablo has been anti-clutch this season. He has a decent average, but only 4 RBI. I can't remember a single clutch hit he got this season.

The one game in KC he hit a late inning double down the 1st base line to tie or game or give the sox a lead

Lip Man 1
07-10-2005, 06:48 PM
It was in the 8th inning on April 24th.

Lip

ilsox7
07-10-2005, 06:52 PM
Who doesn't understand that? How does that relate to my post?

Uh, read this thread and you'll find plenty of people who don't understand it. Maye not you, but plenty fail to see the big picture.

Rocklive99
07-10-2005, 06:53 PM
That Willie Harris atbat was one of the worst atbats I've ever seen, coming after horrible atbats last game. He's improving defensively, but Guch is solid himself. If you must have a backup infielder other than Ozuna (with Crede hurt), then bring up the Pedro guy that was brought up earlier in the year

I was literally screaming at my TV when I saw Dye come in to pinch run, I was yelling "Let him pinch hit, not run!" Oh well

No big deal though, Oakland is hot, the .500 record is deceiving, considering they used to be like 15 games under. Still the best record, and still have the pitching which will consistently lead us to wins over a long period of time

Rudy Law
07-10-2005, 06:53 PM
Not a way to go into the break.:angry:

The worst part is how this is going to be covered by the local media......Your are going to hear all the Begining of the End stories........Last time I checked every team in baseball gets swept during the season...But you are also going to hear abiut how this team is going built to win the World Series.....Meanwhile the Twins can barley beat the Royals.....I will not listen or watch sports related shows till Thursday........I don't even want to think about what would happen if they lose 4 in a row........Best record in baseball just ran into a team that owns them.....The 98 Yankees had trouble beating the Sox...didn't seem to stop them....

infohawk
07-10-2005, 06:56 PM
I love Ozuna's effort, but everyone should now realize how much Crede's glove means to this team.

I second that statement. Good defense can be worth several runs in a game.

ilsox7
07-10-2005, 06:58 PM
I second that statement. Good defense can be worth several runs in a game.

Chavez saved the game for the A's. We'd still be playing right now if they had their version of Ozuna out there.

Defense wins games folks. And Crede is as good as they come at 3rd.

GregoryEtc
07-10-2005, 07:11 PM
As bad as this series was, we've still gained a whole game on everyone in our division over the last 10 games (we're 6-4 over the last 10, everyone else is 5-5).

Not exactly the way we wanted to head into the break but I see it this way... we played the last 3 days like a team that needs a break... and now we're getting one!

And thank God we're done with Oakland for the year!!!!

NSSoxFan
07-10-2005, 07:12 PM
I'm somewhat surprised there are not more dark clouds in this thread. Perhaps I am speaking too soon but great job guys! It sucks to lose this game and to get swept going into the second half. That's the game of baseball. We have one thing that no other MLB team has though, the best record in baseball. A freakin' 9 game lead going into the All-Star Game is something that NOBODY around here would have thought was possible.

57-29. Love it, celebrate it.

Now the boys get three days off and then the real fun begins. The next three months are going to be memorable, something we might not see in a while. So, sit back, relax, and enjoy.

:cool:

The Racehorse
07-10-2005, 07:14 PM
Losing three games in a row is about as significant as William The Refrigerator Perry losing 30 lbs... who's gonna notice? And oh by the way, even if the four letter network does notice, we could care less because they don't count.

ilsox7
07-10-2005, 07:14 PM
Rudy:

Very well said.

Ilsox:

I can certainly see the big picture, what troubles me is the lack of execution today when the game was on the line. Execution also doesn't change regardless of whether it's July 10th or October 10th does it?

That's the big picture.

Lip

I wasn't really referring to you. You made plenty of valid points. There are some issues there, yes. But it also cannot be disputed that at 57-29 we are going very well. I'd expect a few moves to be made over the next few weeks. But in the long run, we'll live and die by our pitching.

As for the execution, I think we are getting into the traditional "Dog days of summer." That is why I think it was so important for Ozzie to call Uribe out yesterday. While we didn't win today, we certainly gave a good effort (except Harris). That's the positive I take out of this game: the team responded to Ozzie. The pitching just wasn't there, though.

TheOldRoman
07-10-2005, 07:24 PM
That Willie Harris atbat was one of the worst atbats I've ever seen, coming after horrible atbats last game. He's improving defensively, but Guch is solid himself. If you must have a backup infielder other than Ozuna (with Crede hurt), then bring up the Pedro guy that was brought up earlier in the year

I was literally screaming at my TV when I saw Dye come in to pinch run, I was yelling "Let him pinch hit, not run!" Oh well

No big deal though, Oakland is hot, the .500 record is deceiving, considering they used to be like 15 games under. Still the best record, and still have the pitching which will consistently lead us to wins over a long period of time
They needed to have Dye pinch run. Would you rather have Konerko on the basepaths? Willie gets a hit 1 out of 5 times, but Konerko would NEVER score from first on a double or move to third on a single.

Jerko
07-10-2005, 07:26 PM
I'd rather take a chance on Dye hitting a homer than Willie doing anything right.

GotitBadSox
07-10-2005, 07:38 PM
Now, this may get banned but I must say that after being a Sox fan for the last 33 years we are conditioned to being disappointed. My hopes were very high until recently. Look at all the holes this team has, am I the only one who sees them? And the Sox do not want to disrupt the chemistry? After doing all I could to get Pods in the Big Game and then seeing this series with the A's I am reminded of all the years past, even the years when we won the division. Only to lose the first series in the playoffs. Maybe I just need a break! What do you guys think?:angry:

chisoxmike
07-10-2005, 07:39 PM
Got back from the game.

What a goofy game. At least they tried today.:rolleyes:

Willie needs to be sent down to AAA, I don't care if he does have speed, he has no bat and he's just a stupid player. There seemed to be a lot of Cubs/A's fans there today. Oh yeah, Ronnie Woo Hoo was sitting down the 3rd base line...what a jag.

Congrats to Mark :gulp: on his bid to start the All-Star Game, here's to the first half :gulp: and lets hope there are no second half meltdowns! :) :supernana:

FarWestChicago
07-10-2005, 07:41 PM
What do you guys think?:angry:I highly recommend seeing a psychotherapist. In your case, make sure it's a psychiatrist with an M.D. because I suspect drugs will be necessary for any effective treatment.

Jerko
07-10-2005, 07:43 PM
http://www.lbracco.com/images/sopranos050545.jpg

MrRoboto83
07-10-2005, 07:43 PM
I'm Depressed:whiner:

PAPChiSox729
07-10-2005, 07:44 PM
Now, this may get banned but I must say that after being a Sox fan for the last 33 years we are conditioned to being disappointed. My hopes were very high until recently. Look at all the holes this team has, am I the only one who sees them? And the Sox do not want to disrupt the chemistry? After doing all I could to get Pods in the Big Game and then seeing this series with the A's I am reminded of all the years past, even the years when we won the division. Only to lose the first series in the playoffs. Maybe I just need a break! What do you guys think?:angry:

You certainly didn't get off to a good start. My gawd, a three game losing streak against a team that has owned us the last few years. We are done.
:rolleyes:

SluggersAway
07-10-2005, 07:50 PM
57-29

That is all I have to say.

Remember your expectations for this team before the season began.

And now just enjoy the ride...

Pasqua's Posers
07-10-2005, 07:56 PM
57-29

way to put things in perspective brother. i agree-but i live and die with this team. day by day, game by game. i just take it that way and hope we continue the drive on to the goal.

MarySwiss
07-10-2005, 07:56 PM
I'm Depressed:whiner:

Mr. Roboto83, please allow me to slap you.

SLAP!

Okay, in real life, I'm depressed too. But we need to pull ourselves together. TOGETHER, WE ARE GOING TO DO THIS THING!

This is a three-game losing streak. Big deal. Been there; done that.

Now let's just get this stupid annual beauty contest out of the way and get back to the business of winning the WORLD SERIES! 'kay?

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

slobes
07-10-2005, 07:58 PM
One good thing I saw today. I don't remember which inning it was, but Ozuna was sprinting his heart out on just a simple tapper back to the pitcher, causing it to be a bad throw and pull the 1st baseman off the base.
Good job Pablo.

GregoryEtc
07-10-2005, 08:41 PM
*cough* 17 hits *cough*

BeviBall!
07-10-2005, 08:44 PM
57-29

While I somewhat agree with this... what about our expectations during the season?

But, the Sox have done almost everything right... they even picked the right time to slump!

GregoryEtc
07-10-2005, 08:47 PM
One good thing I saw today. I don't remember which inning it was, but Ozuna was sprinting his heart out on just a simple tapper back to the pitcher, causing it to be a bad throw and pull the 1st baseman off the base.
Good job Pablo.

Pablo Ozuna is this Sox team's 'Tony Graffinino'.

He goes wherever you tell him. He hustles his heiny off every game and he's got enough game to where I love seeing his name in that lineup every once in a while.

UglySince83
07-10-2005, 08:47 PM
the sox have been swept once this season we've got plenty of time to largen the gap between us and the twangers I never liked the A's I had Tickets to all three games over the 4th weekend and a place to stay, but had to turn it down since i already booked my flight back to chicago for the weekend. we'll get the A's good next year

ilsox7
07-10-2005, 08:57 PM
the sox have been swept once this season we've got plenty of time to largen the gap between us and the twangers I never liked the A's I had Tickets to all three games over the 4th weekend and a place to stay, but had to turn it down since i already booked my flight back to chicago for the weekend. we'll get the A's good next year

punc·tu·a·tion http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/JPG/pron.jpg (https://secure.reference.com/premium/login.html?rd=2&u=http%3A%2F%2Fdictionary.reference.com%2Fsearch%3 Fq%3Dpunctuation) ( P ) Pronunciation Key (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/ahd4/pronkey.html) (phttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/ubreve.gifngkhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/lprime.gifchhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/oomacr.gif-http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/amacr.gifhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/prime.gifshhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/schwa.gifn)
n.

The use of standard marks and signs in writing and printing to separate words into sentences, clauses, and phrases in order to clarify meaning.
The marks so used.

UglySince83
07-10-2005, 09:13 PM
punc·tu·a·tion http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/JPG/pron.jpg (https://secure.reference.com/premium/login.html?rd=2&u=http%3A%2F%2Fdictionary.reference.com%2Fsearch%3 Fq%3Dpunctuation) ( P ) Pronunciation Key (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/ahd4/pronkey.html) (phttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/ubreve.gifngkhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/lprime.gifchhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/oomacr.gif-http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/amacr.gifhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/prime.gifshhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/schwa.gifn)
n.

The use of standard marks and signs in writing and printing to separate words into sentences, clauses, and phrases in order to clarify meaning.
The marks so used.

nice thanks. i thougth all them crazy buttons by the enter button where just there to look pretty. lol

voodoochile
07-10-2005, 09:16 PM
I hate Oakland... Always have... always will...

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

4 in the wallet and the bank is still fat. Not a horrible way to enter the AS break altogether...

PicktoCLick72
07-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Alright I will probably get yelled at for this but I'm gonna say it anyways. While I hate to ever lose, I do see a silver lining in the sweep. Instead of going into the All-Star break with no worries, no the team has a bad taste in their mouth. Now for three days the Sox will be chomping at the bit to get back to winning. Instead of the Sox starting to be happy where they are at, they will be mad with their play. Now the team will be better able to stay focused entering the second half of the season. I could be totally off-base here but this is what I was thinking.

nordhagen
07-10-2005, 09:30 PM

Getting swept, particularly by Strokeland, is a big bummer. But it's baseball and it's a 162-game season that will have ups and downs like this. If it means there's a 3-game sweep in there against the Twins I'll take that.

And for those having panic attacks - here's a calming stat I looked up today - the 1959 Sox had two 5-game losing streaks during their drive to the AL pennant.

So, everyone enjoy the all-star break and hopefully they'll start kicking some tail Thursday in the Mistake by the Lake.

UglySince83
07-10-2005, 09:31 PM
Also, they might be getting cocky, this could have brought them back down to earth. we'll see after the AS break

Podzilla_40
07-10-2005, 09:38 PM
Hopefully Ozzie will light a fire under their asses. It would be nice if he just ripped into Garcia or Uribe, hopefully they'd respond. I was at the game and it was disappointing, I knew Hermanson would give it up, it's just part of the game.

UglySince83
07-10-2005, 09:40 PM
, I knew Hermanson would give it up, it's just part of the game.

maybe the new billy kotch?
I really hope not..

Viva Medias B's
07-10-2005, 09:45 PM
I am not worried about Minnesota and feel confident that we will win the division. However, I am really angry that we lost yet again today to the Oakland Athletics. I don't want to hear the "Well, we can't beat Oakland" crap. The A's are a .500 team, and there is no excuse for getting swept by them in our home ballpark. We should have won at least two of three from Oakland going into the ASG break.

This was a really crappy baseball weekend. Not only did I have to endure our suckfest, we had to see Minnesota take two of three from Kansas City. Moreover, the Evil Empire fried the Marlins which will probably prompt mediots going hog wild over them. All of this will stick in my craw until Thursday when the season resumes. And this coming weekend won't be a walk in the park for us.

To reiterate, I believe we will win the division. However, I cannot stand it when we're losing. You may ask why I'm so bent out of shape over losing when we're up by 9 games and feel we'll win the division. Well, I want us to win consistently. Lately, it's as if we've become too content and lost focus. The lack of effort Ozzie mentioned last night is a perfect example.

Do you remember a United Air Lines commercial that ran in the late '80s? It opened with a football coach yelling at his team in the locker room at halftime. He was angry over how the first half went. Then, one of his players said "Coach, aren't we up by 21 points?" That is when the coach said "You see? That's it right there. The minute you're safisfied as a player, we're finished as a football team." The coach's point is the team cannot rest on its laurels. The same thing applies here.

MIgrenade
07-10-2005, 10:30 PM
If it makes everyone feel better, the Angels got swept in 4 games by the Mariners. Olivo hit a 2 run homer. Good teams sometimes lose.

SpringfldFan
07-10-2005, 10:35 PM
Oakland is better then a .500 team, mark my words. Lately they haven't owned just the Sox. The last month they have played at another level against everyone. They have a ways to go, but I think they will be heard from before this wildcard race is over. I remember the Oakland teams of recent years when the west was so awesome. After poor starts, they had some sick second half records.

Oz and Kenny need to have an answer to their style of play in case they happen to meet up with them in the playoffs or meet another team who can bottle the same formula. I think it is their patience at the plate. They can foul everything off until they draw a walk or get any kind of hit. Eight freebies for them today vs. one for the Sox. It is a lot like in basketball where one team wins soley because they were able to get to the free throw line a ton of times.

Just my thoughts. Probably not worth much but there you have it.

SFF

BeviBall!
07-10-2005, 10:38 PM
On Friday, we had the biggest lead of the season at 11 games. The previous Tuesday, going into the 8th, we were in jeopardy of only being 7.5 up. I'll take 9 up into the break.

No team can avoid series' like we just had. It's all part of the 162 game plan.

TheOldRoman
07-10-2005, 10:39 PM
This was a really crappy baseball weekend. Not only did I have to endure our suckfest, we had to see Minnesota take two of three from Kansas City.
The Twins won 2 of 4 against the Royals. They are now 9-3 against the Royals this year. We are 9-0 against them. We played a team who we always play poorly against, and they played one of the worst teams in baseball. No biggie.

TornLabrum
07-10-2005, 10:40 PM
Oakland is better then a .500 team, mark my words. Lately they haven't owned just the Sox. The last month they have played at another level against everyone. They have a ways to go, but I think they will be heard from before this wildcard race is over. I remember the Oakland teams of recent years when the west was so awesome. After poor starts, they had some sick second half records.

Oz and Kenny need to have an answer to their style of play in case they happen to meet up with them in the playoffs or meet another team who can bottle the same formula. I think it is their patience at the plate. They can foul everything off until they draw a walk or get any kind of hit. Eight freebies for them today vs. one for the Sox. It is a lot like in basketball where one team wins soley because they were able to get to the free throw line a ton of times.

Just my thoughts. Probably not worth much but there you have it.

SFF

I have two answers to the Oakland style of play:

1) Throw strikes. They can't get 3-2 counts on you if you're throwing strikes.

2) Take or foul off questionable pitches. Go deep in the count. Garland threw over 100 pitches in five innings the other night. They guy had 70-some pitches.

JB98
07-10-2005, 11:01 PM
maybe the new billy kotch?
I really hope not..

Hermanson, who has been lights out all year, gives up one measly solo home run and he's being compared to Koch? God help you.

Did anyone else notice the irony in today's 11th inning? The Moneyball A's, who disdain the bunt, executed a sacrifice to set up the winning run. The Sox, who lead the league in sacrifice bunts, failed to get one down as they attempted to tie the game in the bottom of the inning. It was just a strange weekend where a lot of out-of-character things happened.

The guys gave an effort today. They didn't play well, but unlike Saturday, they competed. That's all I ask. This team is going to win its fair share as long as they don't get complacent. We can't play well all the time.

The break is coming at a good time for us. For the first time in awhile, we're scuffling a little bit. Time for the guys to clear their heads and come back ready to play in Cleveland. It's going to be a tough series, and we need to bring our best in order to be successful.

We're in great shape. Here's a toast to a great first half, and here's to hoping for an even greater second half. :gulp: :gulp:

Go Sox!

leftfieldbleachy
07-10-2005, 11:03 PM
I'm not overly worried about the division. I won't say it's in the bag, as there have been bigger collapses than 9 games 2+ months, but obviously we have to feel pretty good about our position right now, and none of the other teams have been closing the gap on us.

I'm not overly worried about Oakland. Yes they've got an annoyingly lopsided win/loss record against us over the last five years. I chalk it up to a combination of them being a better team for most of this period and simple bad luck. (Not a curse. Just bad luck).

I am slightly worried about the possibility of facing them in the postseason, because players are if anything more superstitious than we are, and both Sox and A's players might believe such a series is a foregone conclusion, but the playoffs are so far away that it's not even worth worrying about at this point.

What the Sox need to take from this is that no team is unstoppable. Any big league team can be swept by any other when that team is both hitting and pitching well, (and two games out of three, Oakland pitched very well, and two games out of three, Oakland hit very well). As we get comfortable in the division, KW needs to start looking toward the playoffs to see what our weaknesses are and how we can overcome them.

This isn't even hinting at Dark Cloud-ism. Every team has weaknesses. When a team does as well as the Sox have done, they tend to get overlooked, but it's the GM's job not to just rest on his laurels because his team's winning, but to make sure the team has every chance to succeed in the postseason. Here are some of the problems this series exposed.

Infield depth. At 1B this will cease to be a problem when Gload comes back, but for the rest of the IF positions, we really don't have any good options when Gooch, Uribe and Crede aren't all playing. Willie can't hit and Pablo can't field, (and for that matter, Pablo's not a great hitter when he's not facing a left-hander, and Willie's not a great fielder.) As teams start falling by the wayside, there will certainly be someone who won't mind shipping out their utility infielder in exchange for a B or C-level prospect.

Bullpen usage. This is going to be helped by Marte's return, but Ozzie doesn't quite seem to know who to use against tough lefties. With Marte out, he uses (understandably enough) his lefty relievers Cotts and Walker. The problem is that Cotts BAA vs lefty hitters is 141 points higher than vs righty hitters. Kevin Walker's is over 200 points higher! This isn't so much a "go out and get a LOOGY" suggestion as it is a sign that someone in the Sox dugout isn't paying attention. Either the coaches aren't giving Ozzie the info he needs or Ozzie isn't using it properly. That said, the team's BAA is ten points higher overall vs lefties, so maybe a bit of depth in that regard wouldn't hurt.

Offense. Maybe there's a big bat out there to be had for the right price, and maybe there isn't, but you can never have enough hitting. (Or pitching, but I like Buerhle, Garland, Garcia and Hernandez as a playoff rotation). We've mostly been getting by on our lineup being packed with good-not-great hitters without any major weaknesses and while that wins games in the regular season if you've got pitching, that kind of lineup can be victimized by the kind of pitching staff that gets a team to the playoffs.

Put it this way, if there were a playoff series between two hypothetical teams, and one team had our pitching while the other had our hitting, which one would you bet on? We have the same team batting average as Kansas City, and we're seven points lower than Tampa Bay.

Jjav829
07-10-2005, 11:26 PM
What a horrible losing streak! I don't know if we're gonna ever win another game. What's that?....Oh.....oh, only 3 games? Whoops. Scratch that comment then. :rolleyes:

That called 3rd strike on Everett was a horrible call. That was a ball. It was just a bad game all around.

Players for which the break is coming at the right time:
- Aaron Rowand - 2 extra base hits in the last month? Yikes. We need Aaron to get back to spraying the ball around. Gotta love that throw he made today though.

- A.J. Pierzynski - He's really scuffling right now. Hopefully the few days off given Pierz a boost.

- Joe Crede - Simply because of his back problems. I hope these days off help Crede get back on the field quickly.

- All of our pitchers - Nothing against them, I just think the rest might do them good.

Players for which the break is coming at the wrong time:
- Paul Konerko - Yesterday he would have been on the above list. Yet today he goes 5-6, his first career 5 hit game. This is the kind of game where Paulie would probably be better served getting right back out there tomorrow. The good news is that he will go into the break with the 5-hit game fresh in his mind, rather than his other recent struggles. Hopefully that leads to a big second half.

- Scott Podsednik - He's been hitting the ball very well in the past week.

- Timo Perez - With the series he had, I'm sure Timo wishes he could be out there again tomorrow.

mike squires
07-10-2005, 11:38 PM
Glad I was at work all weekend. I would have watched 12 hours of winless baseball. Not good. It's a long season. Let's get ready for a second half much like the first. These kind of stretches happen in baseball. We'll be OK.

MRKARNO
07-10-2005, 11:40 PM
I have two answers to the Oakland style of play:

1) Throw strikes. They can't get 3-2 counts on you if you're throwing strikes.

2) Take or foul off questionable pitches. Go deep in the count. Garland threw over 100 pitches in five innings the other night. They guy had 70-some pitches.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

The first we should be able to do a lot better. I could understand Garcia having some trouble, ditto Contreras, but Buehrle and Garland? I think their problems just had to do with the fact that Oakland was hitting the ball right to where our fielders weren't.

But the White Sox just aren't a patient team outside of the Big Hurt, Konerko and to a lesser extent Podsednik and Dye, which is why they had troubles against Oakland pitching for the most part.

Pierzynski, Rowand, Uribe, Crede, Everett...Not exactly the most patient hitters in the world.

TheOldRoman
07-10-2005, 11:50 PM
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

The first we should be able to do a lot better. I could understand Garcia having some trouble, ditto Contreras, but Buehrle and Garland? I think their problems just had to do with the fact that Oakland was hitting the ball right to where our fielders weren't.
The biggest problem had to do with the discrepancy between our strikezone and Oakland's. In every single game against the A's this year, the umpiring was piss poor. There were questionable calls in every game. The A's got every single close pitch. The Sox weren't given any close pitches. Hawk bitched about it today, Farmer bitched about it yesterday. Don't forget the A's beaning and injuring several White Sox in the first series, not getting thrown out after both benches were warned, and then the Sox getting a pregame warning the next day. I know that certain pitchers get all the calls, but maybe the umpires give calls to certain hitters. Maybe they think "well, the As dont swing at balls, so that must be a ball."
Either way, if the umpring crews with even average abilities, we would have won games 2 and 3 of the first series, and tonight's game. The other games would have been a little closer. For the Sox hitters, all you can do is swing at anything shoes to eyes because it is going to be a strike anyway. Its harder for the pitchers. If the umpires take away half the strikezone, you can either throw it in there and hope you dont get hammered or walk guys. Today, the umpire not only made some game changing calls, he was a show off. He would stay in his crowch for a second after the pitch was thrown, and then call the strike. It was almost as if he had to think about where the pitch was. He wanted to be dramtic, and he wanted the attention. He controlled the game, and thats why he threw AJ out for doing something as heinous as setting his bat down.

SoxSpeed22
07-11-2005, 12:54 AM
The biggest problem had to do with the discrepancy between our strikezone and Oakland's. In every single game against the A's this year, the umpiring was piss poor. There were questionable calls in every game. The A's got every single close pitch. The Sox weren't given any close pitches. Hawk bitched about it today, Farmer bitched about it yesterday. Don't forget the A's beaning and injuring several White Sox in the first series, not getting thrown out after both benches were warned, and then the Sox getting a pregame warning the next day. I know that certain pitchers get all the calls, but maybe the umpires give calls to certain hitters. Maybe they think "well, the As dont swing at balls, so that must be a ball."
Either way, if the umpring crews with even average abilities, we would have won games 2 and 3 of the first series, and tonight's game. The other games would have been a little closer. For the Sox hitters, all you can do is swing at anything shoes to eyes because it is going to be a strike anyway. Its harder for the pitchers. If the umpires take away half the strikezone, you can either throw it in there and hope you dont get hammered or walk guys. Today, the umpire not only made some game changing calls, he was a show off. He would stay in his crowch for a second after the pitch was thrown, and then call the strike. It was almost as if he had to think about where the pitch was. He wanted to be dramtic, and he wanted the attention. He controlled the game, and thats why he threw AJ out for doing something as heinous as setting his bat down.In the playoffs if we play the Red Sox, that's gonna happen. Everybody wants to see them win and no one wants to see us in the World Series. I don't know what you do about it. BTW that called third to Carl was complete bull****. It killed most of the momentum we had for the inning, it could've been 3 runs, instead was one.

FarWestChicago
07-11-2005, 12:54 AM
The biggest problem had to do with the discrepancy between our strikezone and Oakland's. In every single game against the A's this year, the umpiring was piss poor. There were questionable calls in every game. The A's got every single close pitch. The Sox weren't given any close pitches. Hawk bitched about it today, Farmer bitched about it yesterday.I was watching the local A's broadcast today and the A's announcers commented on Freddy getting squeezed. That's pretty bad, LOL.

Last Sunday Ode and I were sitting in the Diamond Level seats in Oakland Alameda County Network Associates McAfee Coliseum right behind the plate. The ump was actually fairly consistent for the first few innings. The A's fans were bitching the whole time when balls to Sox hitters were called balls. It seemed like they were used to having a huge plate. But, at a crucial point in the game, the Hurt came up and suddenly Bong Boy was getting calls on pitches a foot outside and inches off the ground. After Hurt was gone, the ump went back to his prior strike zone. It was very strange.

TheOldRoman
07-11-2005, 01:17 AM
I was watching the local A's broadcast today and the A's announcers commented on Freddy getting squeezed. That's pretty bad, LOL.

Last Sunday Ode and I were sitting in the Diamond Level seats in Oakland Alameda County Network Associates McAfee Coliseum right behind the plate. The ump was actually fairly consistent for the first few innings. The A's fans were bitching the whole time when balls to Sox hitters were called balls. It seemed like they were used to having a huge plate. But, at a crucial point in the game, the Hurt came up and suddenly Bong Boy was getting calls on pitches a foot outside and inches off the ground. After Hurt was gone, the ump went back to his prior strike zone. It was very strange.
And the weird thing is, it happened in every one of our games against Oakland this year. It's hard to win when your pitchers get squeezed, and your hitters have a huge strikezone. The strike zones werent even the only problems we had with the umpires. Oakland hit and injured several of our hitters in the first series. They hit a couple of guys after warnings had been issued, but nobody was thrown out. Before the start of the third game, we were warned, and that took away inside pitches from Freddy. Oh well. Hopefully the umpiring isn't like this in the playoffs.

Sleep520
07-11-2005, 02:16 AM
Three days to think about this sweep... :angry:

soxfan1965
07-11-2005, 03:46 AM
One thing this series proved, at least to me, is that one thing the A's do get right is that you go deep into the count wherever possible and take walks if the opposing pitcher will give them to you. Hawk noted late in the game today that there were 8 A's walks today vs. 1 for the Sox. That could be one big reason we don't match up well with the A's.

Good point. Perhaps the A's exposed one key Sox weakness (other than the low OBP, batting average, defense of subs). The A's game plan of being patient worked well, even against the three top Sox pitchers at home. This wake-up call should motivate the Sox to make adjustments as the rest of the league catches on to how to beat them. Easier said than done, but throwing early strikes are needed to help keep the pitch count and walks down. The other team still may foul off many and hit more homers--and sometimes it's better to walk certain guys. But walks are usually destructive. The Sox may not really be done with the A's yet, since other teams will have the same game plan against the Sox. Better that this and other weaknesses are exposed and dealt with now than in playoffs where some teams in recent years brought their stellar win-loss record there only to lose.

SSN721
07-11-2005, 06:01 AM
Well it sucks to lose to this team, as it has been stated by some others I absolutely loathe the A's, have since the late 80's. We never seem to get the better of them, but oh well. I blame the plastic bag for the loss, everything seemed to go downhill from there. There is no way I can be too unhappy when we are 9 games up and have such an awesome record. I'm just mad I have to wait 4 days til I can see the Sox start kicking ass again.

Jurr
07-11-2005, 07:30 AM
I was watching the local A's broadcast today and the A's announcers commented on Freddy getting squeezed. That's pretty bad, LOL.

With that MLB package, I get to see a lot of games that Oakland plays, and that seems to be a very common complaint of opposing announcers. I don't know what it is. You know how umps give veteran stars the benefit of the doubt on close calls? Well, it seems like these umps may have picked up a copy of Moneyball, found out that the crux of the A's offense is their ability to judge balls vs. strikes, and decided to give them the close ones. It's ridiculous.

Hitmen77
07-11-2005, 07:38 AM
Hey, we may have been swept, but at least we had good attendance this weekend. If I have learned anything from years of listening to Chicago reporters and Cub fans, it that good attendance is more important than winning.

ja1022
07-11-2005, 09:13 AM
The '27 Yankees lost three straight to the A's also. (Actually it was the first three games of a six game set.) Sooooo....we got that goin' for us. Seriously, the '27 Yanks were also swept in a three game set by Cleveland, who finished 43.5 games back. No problems.

LVSoxFan
07-11-2005, 10:05 AM
I had the misfortune of being at all three games--my worst weekend ever as a Sox fan. Yesterday we all thought we were going to really pull it out and... it didn't work out obviously.

One key thing nobody's mentioned is that we were immediately down in all three games. Yesterday was like deja vu all over again--not two batters in and we're already down a run. The way those bases were loaded yesterday, I'm surprised we weren't down 7-0 after three innings.

I guess it happens though--the sweep--and hopefully the bad taste will be a good motivator to the Sox.

I have to say, though (and many of those with me thought the same): what in the hell is the value of Willie Harris? Last year I thought he was the poster boy for non-realized talent: a guy who was fast who wouldn't steal. He should have been our Podsednik last year, but there his ass would sit, on first base.

After yesterday I'm through with him. What burns me is he doesn't even seem to try--there's no mental toughness or fire in him. Which probably explains why he'll apparently always be "potentially" good. I'll take a struggling guy who gives it all--like Crede--over somebody like Harris any day.

But as it is with Oakland always, lots of weirdness happens. There were a couple of shots into the outfield during this series that seemed like they were going to be easy catches--as it looked from our spot in left field--that went over people's heads.

A couple of times that happened with Rowand; Timo couldn't glove one in left; even Pods completely missed one (probably in the sun) on Friday night. And the triples! ***?!

JB98
07-11-2005, 12:15 PM
The '27 Yankees lost three straight to the A's also. (Actually it was the first three games of a six game set.) Sooooo....we got that goin' for us. Seriously, the '27 Yanks were also swept in a three game set by Cleveland, who finished 43.5 games back. No problems.

I think the only ones pushing the panic button are the unknowledgeable fans and the Chicago mediots.

Consider this:
Sox record vs. the A's: 2-7 (.222)
Sox record vs. everyone else: 55-22 (.714)

Our remaining 76 games will be in the "everyone else" category. That's a good sign. :rolleyes:

LVSoxFan
07-11-2005, 12:37 PM
Hey one other gripe about yesterday's game, and I'm done.

Anybody else wonder why Cora waved in Frank to home, only to get gunned down. We could tell from sitting out there that he was dead meat, running as slow as he does. To our amazement, Cora waves him in and it wasn't even close. That was an early momentum-killer.

That's it. I'm done. Hellooooo Cleveland!

Ron Karkovice
07-11-2005, 12:51 PM

Anybody else wonder why Cora waved in Frank to home, only to get gunned down. We could tell from sitting out there that he was dead meat, running as slow as he does. To our amazement, Cora waves him in and it wasn't even close. That was an early momentum-killer.

I went nuts after that happened, but i guess everyone (even Cora!) makes mistakes.

robiwho
07-11-2005, 12:59 PM
I went nuts after that happened, but i guess everyone (even Cora!) makes mistakes.

Watching Frank try to make it home was, without a doubt, one of the most painful things I had to watch this season.

ja1022
07-11-2005, 01:52 PM
Watching Frank try to make it home was, without a doubt, one of the most painful things I had to watch this season.

Kind of an embarassing situation for the big man. Kudos to Frank for sliding, as he's been hammered in the past about not getting his uniform dirty, but given his ankle and the fact that he was out by about 20 feet, I'd just as soon see him run into the tag, and try and bitch slap the ball away like A-Rod. That slide was UGLY.

kitekrazy
07-11-2005, 02:49 PM

Did one well know media source label Cora as the worst 3rd base coach when he was with a different team?
I guess he needs to ween Konerko and Thomas off of that station to station baseball they are so use to.

mccoydp
07-11-2005, 04:12 PM
Thank goodness I missed all of the games this weekend.

I don't watch the Sox-A's games by default; pretty much a yearly tradition.

Sounds like I missed a heck of a good time!

LVSoxFan
07-11-2005, 04:26 PM
I always prefer to be there, but this was brutal. Would I go again, though? Yeah, I would.

It wasn't as dire as losing to the Cubs, where you had to sit there and listen to them--in our park.

Ben Lang
07-11-2005, 04:46 PM
Goodbye Willie Harris. His baserunning is overrated and he couldn't advance a runner if he wanted to save himself. Welcome back Ross Gload who will provide a consistent bat off the bench.

This weekends performance better not be a preview of what we will see from both sides of the ball against playoff bound teams later in the month.

Nellie_Fox
07-12-2005, 12:49 AM
...you don't bring in the closer while you are losing. Another thing you don't do is let your closer sit for a week at a time without getting any work.