PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Savant still claims to be right!!

ondafarm
07-10-2005, 05:26 PM
Well, I've exchanged emails with this guy and he says ". . . I've missed NOTHING so far brother!" Although he does add ". . .
You can make and argument that I missed
on Podsednik . . ."

You can, as he suggests reread his preview of the White Sox,
http://baseballsavant.blogspot.com/2005/02/chicago-white-sox-2005-season-preview_12.html (http://baseballsavant.blogspot.com/2005/02/chicago-white-sox-2005-season-preview_12.html)
As for Podsednik, his quote was ". . . swinging at every pitch throw to him and the White Sox will take a MAJOR hit offensively with him at the top of the order."

Podesdnik swings at just over one third of pitches thrown to him, which is remarkable plate discipline actually. For myself, I know that the number was more like two out of three swung at, although I never batted leadoff (2nd in high school/ 7th in Japan.) As for a major hit offensively, there I have to concede, Podsednik has been a major hit offensively.

As for the team, there are ten seperate times when he that the White Sox will not win the ALCD. I've done manufactering forecasting and if I gave ten reasons why sales would be down and they were the best in company history, I'd be fired.

Just in case, here are my ten spots from his predictions:
". . . for this reason alone (Ozzie Guillen) you can't pick the White Sox to win the division."
"You can't expect to knock guys like that off the top tier with moves like Williams is making."
"Most division winning teams don't have gaping offensive holes at 3B.
"Ranking 10nth in the AL in that category (runs scored) can't portend to contending for the AL Central. . ." (Sox are currently 7th)
"Bowa was never going to win . . . the same will be said of Ozzie Guillen. . . "
". . . third place is the best they can do. . ."
". . . it's more likely to wind up in 4th or 5th place."
". . . sanity has to place some role in my analysis and my head says this season is doomed . . ."
" . . . the Pale Hose should at least make it interesting."
". . . 3rd place is about as good as the Sox can expect in 2005."

Now if that's missing nothing then I'll eat my White Sox cap!!!!

ilsox7
07-10-2005, 06:06 PM
Basically he did a pretty good job of analyzing the trees, but he completely missed the forest. In life, the big picture is what means the most. He tanked on that.

ma-gaga
07-10-2005, 06:23 PM
Well, I've exchanged emails with this guy
Now if that's missing nothing then I'll eat my White Sox cap!!!!

Why are you still bothering with this guy? This kind of thing amazes me, and I see it all the time. :?:

ondafarm
07-11-2005, 07:25 AM
Why are you still bothering with this guy? This kind of thing amazes me, and I see it all the time. :?:

Because he had information about the Sox-Marlins deal where the Sox could get Burnett, another grade A starting pitcher.

Supposedly, the deal is Burnett for McCarthy, Marte and a left-handed outfielder. That could be Podsednik, Everett, Gload or Perez. While I'd part with Timo, probably Ross, possibly Carl, there's no way I'd trade Pods.