PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle's dad ZINGS Maddux

SoxxoS
07-10-2005, 12:53 PM
Snap. (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/arvia/x10-ard1.htm)

Coming as it did from Greg Maddux, the question was no doubt sarcasm wrapped in a willfully oblivious package:

"Who's Mark Buehrle?"

Coming as it does from John Buehrle, the answer is winking back:

"An All-Star."

NealCotts4Life
07-10-2005, 01:04 PM
Oh man, that's awesome. When Maddux said that, I got pretty ticked off. I would have responded "Your worst nightmare", but this will do.

The Racehorse
07-10-2005, 01:05 PM
On the other hand, Detroit will be lousy with Buehrles. John and his wife, Pat, bought plane tickets and made hotel reservations before Mark was named to the team, which was understandable considering the younger Buehrle was riding a nine-game winning streak.

Is Phil Arvia old enough to use lousy as an adjective? I thought you had to be from my Grampa's generation to use it.

As for Senior Buehrle... well done! :cool:

Erik The Red
07-10-2005, 01:07 PM
Haha, that rules.

fquaye149
07-10-2005, 01:46 PM
Is Phil Arvia old enough to use lousy as an adjective? I thought you had to be from my Grampa's generation to use it.

As for Senior Buehrle... well done! :cool:

Actually what is noteworthy is he's using it as a predicate nominative. Lousy's normal use is as an adjective...as in "that is a lousy hammock."

Mr. White Sox
07-10-2005, 01:47 PM
Any word that makes you think about its usage for many an hour is a good word.

Props!

Lip Man 1
07-10-2005, 06:39 PM
Did anyone else see his comment about Michael Jordan?

Lip

TheOldRoman
07-10-2005, 06:47 PM
Did anyone else see his comment about Michael Jordan?

Lip
Yeah, but all he knows is what ESPN tells him. There is no basketball team in St. Louis, and there is a reason for that. He can think Jordan was not at fault whatsoever, but he likely doesn't know the situation. There is no way in hell the Sox don't pick up Buehrle's option.

Lip Man 1
07-10-2005, 06:50 PM
Well that takes him through 2007... and then?????

Me thinks that is what Buehrle's dad was implying.

Lip

Rocklive99
07-10-2005, 07:19 PM
"Greg's a great guy, a great pitcher," John Buehrle, Mark's father, said from his home in the St. Louis suburb of St. Charles, Mo. "I'd love the honor of meeting him some day — and I hope Mark's there, so I can officially introduce them. "It's just unfortunate I can't do it at the All-Star Game because Mr. Maddux isn't going to be there."

ownt.

voodoochile
07-10-2005, 09:03 PM
I have never understood great players or other types of industry leaders who think they can make themselves bigger by stomping on up and coming people who do the same thing they do.

Maddux has nothing to gain with these types of cracks. He is a shoe in for the HOF and still pitching effectively late in his career. He has no reason to take shots at BurlyMon or any other young pitcher who is showing signs of being one of the best in the game the way Maddux once was...

Grow up, Greg...

soxfan123
07-10-2005, 09:41 PM
I didn't know that Mark and Jon were so close. I got the feeling they were friends, but not best friends. I find that very interesting.

CubKilla
07-10-2005, 10:31 PM
Well that takes him through 2007... and then?????

Cardinals SP Mark Buehrle

gobears1987
07-10-2005, 11:26 PM
Actually the article said that Buehrle wants Garland to stay with the Sox so they can be team mates. That implies that Buehrle wants to stay. Besides, Buehrle said recently he will be on the southside so long as KW and the team want him there, and they DO want him there.

FarWestChicago
07-10-2005, 11:39 PM
Cardinals SP Mark BuehrleKneeling at the feet of your master, Killa? :rolleyes:

fquaye149
07-11-2005, 12:07 AM
Kneeling at the feet of your master, Killa? :rolleyes:

Master Killa?

http://www.handcuts.com/artist/img/masta_killa_p.jpg

FarWestChicago
07-11-2005, 12:44 AM
Master Killa?Killa is perhaps the head FOLIP. Of course, Lip is the Master.

Mercy!
07-11-2005, 03:55 AM
I have never understood great players or other types of industry leaders who think they can make themselves bigger by stomping on up and coming people who do the same thing they do.

Maddux has nothing to gain with these types of cracks. He is a shoe in for the HOF and still pitching effectively late in his career. He has no reason to take shots at BurlyMon or any other young pitcher who is showing signs of being one of the best in the game the way Maddux once was...

Grow up, Greg...
I disagree. I thought Maddux’s response ("Who's Mark Buehrle?") to a very public and out-of-left field accusation that one of the Cubs pitchers was a cheater was really on the restrained side. What were his other options? "No comment"? Or at the other extreme a la Ozzie, a profanity-laced invective?

I think it was immature of Buehrle to volunteer that kind of clap trap on a call-in show. But once he went down that road, he looked really foolish to say that he didn’t have any proof. And he looked classless at that meet the press session after his next game where he tried to back track and acted all offended that people were putting his remarks under the microscope. Puhleese! What did he expect?

Just because I root for the Sox AND Mark Buehrle doesn’t mean I check my ethics or empathy at the door. Try looking at it this way: You’ve had a long and distinguished career at XYZ Inc.. Then some up and coming young pup at a rival company announces to the world that you cheat at your profession. And his proof? Uh, well, he doesn’t have any.

You say Maddux was "taking shots" and needs to "grow up"??? Want to take another look at that picture? In the vocabulary of the old school yard – Buehrle was the one who started it. And he doesn’t need his daddy or a reporter to finish it. He should have apologized. But, hey, it’s just a game.:?:

fquaye149
07-11-2005, 04:03 AM
I disagree. I thought Maddux’s response ("Who's Mark Buehrle?") to a very public and out-of-left field accusation that one of the Cubs pitchers was a cheater was really on the restrained side. What were his other options? "No comment"? Or at the other extreme a la Ozzie, a profanity-laced invective?

I think it was immature of Buehrle to volunteer that kind of clap trap on a call-in show. But once he went down that road, he looked really foolish to say that he didn’t have any proof. And he looked classless at that meet the press session after his next game where he tried to back track and acted all offended that people were putting his remarks under the microscope. Puhleese! What did he expect?

Just because I root for the Sox AND Mark Buehrle doesn’t mean I check my ethics or empathy at the door. Try looking at it this way: You’ve had a long and distinguished career at XYZ Inc.. Then some up and coming young pup at a rival company announces to the world that you cheat at your profession. And his proof? Uh, well, he doesn’t have any.

You say Maddux was "taking shots" and needs to "grow up"??? Want to take another look at that picture? In the vocabulary of the old school yard – Buehrle was the one who started it. And he doesn’t need his daddy or a reporter to finish it. He should have apologized. But, hey, it’s just a game.:?:

um. Buehrle never said Maddux did anything. The media jumped to that conclusion. When asked later if he meant Maddux, Buehrle responded with an unequivocable no.

He probably shouldn't have said anything about doctoring pitches, but even so, he never "took a potshot" at maddux.

He has nothing to apologize for

Mercy!
07-11-2005, 04:58 AM
um. Buehrle never said Maddux did anything. The media jumped to that conclusion.
Ah! Of course! It’s that dang media’s fault again.:cool:

"…I think there are a lot of people who may use something out of the ordinary, even if it's a spitball.

Buehrle was asked to name names, but said: "I can't get myself in trouble because he's on the North Side. I don't know personally, but I'm just saying from years of experience that he's had success that he very well may be using something.

There's only one Major League team on the North Side, and the only pitchers on the Cubs with "years of experience" would be Greg Maddux, who has 310 career victories, and Mike Remlinger."

-mlb.com (06/18/2005)

So, he should apologize to Mike Remlinger?

Hey, fquaye149, I just heard that someone in your class plagiarized his last term paper. His initials contained the vowels u, a and e. Boy, I hope the Dean of Students doesn’t start asking questions. Is that empathy thing kicking in yet?

fquaye149
07-11-2005, 05:03 AM
Ah! Of course! It’s that dang media’s fault again.:cool:

So, he should apologize to Mike Remlinger?

Hey, fquaye149, I just heard that someone in your class plagiarized his last term paper. His initials contained the vowels u, a and e. Boy, I hope the Dean of Students doesn’t start asking questions. Is that empathy thing kicking in yet?

actually if you would have followed the story, Buehrle later commented saying that what he meant by years of experience was his own years of experience, a reading that certainly holds up.

It's not BLAMING THE MEDIA, it's explaining that Buehrle never once said a thing about Maddux except to say at a later date that it wasn't Maddux. If you notice, even in the evidence you just posted, it is the media, not Buehrle, claiming Buehrle was talking about Maddux.

If you want to call me pointing out that the only reason Maddux was targeted was because the media interpreted Buehrle's comments FOR HIM "blaming the media", go right ahead.

Maddux was right to be upset, but he should be upset at the newspapers and talk radio, not at Buehrle.

doublem23
07-11-2005, 05:11 AM
Yawn, I can't believe this story is still being dragged out.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_118120.jpg
I should stop being a baby and worry about my garbage team and my nearly 5 ERA. And no, I was never accused by anyone other than mediots that run rampant in this city.

RKMeibalane
07-11-2005, 08:14 AM
Killa is perhaps the head FOLIP. Of course, Lip is the Master.

I thought HomeFish was the head FOLIP.

wsbaseball9
07-11-2005, 09:21 AM

you are a troll

Iwritecode
07-11-2005, 09:50 AM
There's only one Major League team on the North Side, and the only pitchers on the Cubs with "years of experience" would be Greg Maddux, who has 310 career victories, and Mike Remlinger."

-mlb.com (06/18/2005)

So MLB came to the conclusion that Maddux and Remlinger are the only two pitchers on the North Side that have pitched more than 1 year??? :?:

I was always taught that 'years' = more than 1. That fits pretty much every pitcher on that team...

santo=dorf
07-11-2005, 10:10 AM
I thought HomeFish was the head FOLIP.

Let me clear it up for you RK in terms that you can understand.

Darth Sidious = Lip
Count Dooku = Cubkilla
General Grevious = Homefish

Clear?

fquaye149
07-11-2005, 10:22 AM
So MLB came to the conclusion that Maddux and Remlinger are the only two pitchers on the North Side that have pitched more than 1 year??? :?:

I was always taught that 'years' = more than 1. That fits pretty much every pitcher on that team...

Not only did MLB misread his quote...but they ignore the fact that Kerry Wood has been in the majors SEVEN YEARS..maybe they forget he's not a rookie because he's pitched in so few games. Oh and Glendon Rusch is not exactly a spring chicken.

Mickster
07-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Let me clear it up for you RK in terms that you can understand.

Darth Sidious = Lip
Count Dooku = Cubkilla
General Grevious = Homefish

Clear?

Not clear at all. I thought they were:

http://www.grudge-match.com/Images/spaceballs.gif

Iwritecode
07-11-2005, 11:11 AM
Not clear at all. I thought they were:

http://www.grudge-match.com/Images/spaceballs.gif

OK so...

Lip = President Scroob
Cubkilla = Dark Helmet
Homefish = Col. Sanders

:)

Tempe
07-11-2005, 01:15 PM
Snap. (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/arvia/x10-ard1.htm)

I like your sig :)

Rocklive99
07-11-2005, 01:26 PM
Coming as it did from Greg Maddux, the question was no doubt sarcasm wrapped in a willfully oblivious package:

"Who's Mark Buehrle?"

Coming as it does from John Buehrle, the answer is winking back:

"An All-Star."

Make that AL All-Star Starting Pitcher!

SOXSINCE'70
07-11-2005, 01:28 PM
Q.Who is Mark Beuhrle??

A.THE STARTING PITCHER FOR THE A.L. AT THE
2005 ALL STAR GAME.SOME ALSO CONSIDER HIM THE BEST
BET TO WIN THE 2005 A.L. CY YOUNG AWARD. :bandance: :bandance: :redneck