PDA

View Full Version : Should Sox Army get behind Twins and Indians?

Fake Chet Lemon
07-10-2005, 08:58 AM
When I saw that the Twins lost last night, I was disappointed. Now Oakland is only 4.5 out of the Wild Card. If Oakland grabs the WC and the Sox finish with the best record, I believe that would be the first round matchup.....and an early exit for the Sox. Is everyone with me at the moment, we have to root for the Twins? I'M SO CONFUSED!!!!!
:chunks

downstairs
07-10-2005, 09:04 AM
No. Oakland is going nowhere. They're .500, and only because of us!

Twinkies, Injuns, O's look solid this year (actually, the Twinkies don't, but they're in 1st for the WC, so I'll include them).

And lets hope to God that the Yanks crash and burn for once and for all.

soxjim
07-10-2005, 09:52 AM
I'm mainly interested in what the SOX do. If the SOX continue to win the rest will fall in place. True Oakland has our number, but all would be put to rest if we did beat them in the playoffs.

cubhater
07-10-2005, 10:01 AM
When I saw that the Twins lost last night, I was disappointed. Now Oakland is only 4.5 out of the Wild Card. If Oakland grabs the WC and the Sox finish with the best record, I believe that would be the first round matchup.....and an early exit for the Sox. Is everyone with me at the moment, we have to root for the Twins? I'M SO CONFUSED!!!!!

All of us are frustrated with the A's right now. Who says we cant turn it around starting with today's game? Last year, did the Red Sox give in to the Yankees since they never beat them in the postseason? NO! We can do the same to the A's if we meet them.

ChiSox14305635
07-10-2005, 12:21 PM
This got me to thinking of the 1989 "Flying Illini" college b-ball team that beat Michigan twice during the Big 10 season, but then lost to them in the Final Four. The playoffs are an entirely different animal, and I think the Sox would be ready for the A's. Not to mention those same A's back in 2002 that had the 20 game winning streak that got them in the playoffs. How far did they get? A first round exit courtesy of A.J. Pierzsynski and the Minnesota Twins.

Let's get there first. Then the Sox have as good as shot as any of beating those teams.

FarWestChicago
07-10-2005, 01:09 PM
Is everyone with me at the moment, we have to root for the Twins? I'M SO CONFUSED!!!!!No, and quit acting like a complete dumbass. :rolleyes:

JB98
07-10-2005, 01:10 PM
Don't worry. Oakland isn't going to make the playoffs. The only team we need to worry about is our own. If the Sox play well, everything else will take care of itself.

SoxSpeed22
07-10-2005, 01:11 PM
:threadsucks
LA and Texas will take care of them. We have to get behind Baltimore and LA so we can face one of them instead of Boston.

RallyBowl
07-10-2005, 01:36 PM
oakland will not make the playoffs. and i don't think there is anyone we shouldn't want to face in the playoffs. anaheim, yankmees, sawx? it doesn't matter, come playoff time, we will be the team that no one wants to play.

Lip Man 1
07-10-2005, 01:38 PM
Oakland is only 4 1/2 out BUT there are SIX teams ahead of them. (Including the Yankees) THAT's the killer since the odds are very small all six will go into the tank.

Lip

slobes
07-10-2005, 02:37 PM
Oakland is only 4 1/2 out BUT there are SIX teams ahead of them. (Including the Yankees) THAT's the killer since the odds are very small all six will go into the tank.

Lip

Exactly. The A's won't be going anywhere for a while.

EdHerman12
07-10-2005, 03:23 PM
Never will I root for the Twinkies, or Injuns....just not gonna happen. If we have to play the A's in the playoffs, we'll be fine. Sooner or later things will turn around. BTW....I wonder what in the heck that skin headed goof ate that he's vomiting up in that photo.....it kind of looks like wild grained rice with maybe black beans?....:bandance:.....better him than me! I always feel exhausted after a good upchuck...:D:

bunnybrief
07-10-2005, 04:45 PM
I am certainly not rooting for the Twins this year, but I will never, NEVER root for the Indians.

doublem23
07-10-2005, 05:07 PM
The A's had to play unreal baseball for weeks just to pull into the race. Same thing when everyone was ****ting their pants over Cleveland a few weeks ago... They win like 10 games in a row, close the gap on the Sox to a few games, and everybody and their mother is worrying about the Tribe. Meanwhile, they have returned to their normal abilities and are no longer the flavor of the week.

SSN721
07-11-2005, 09:29 AM
If the Sox cant beat the A's in the playoffs and play as poorly against them as they have this year and the past few years, they dont deserve to advance in the playoffs anyway. As much as I would like to make sure the Sox dont see them again, if they cant beat them when it really counts they just arent worthy this year. At least that is how I feel. This thread is ridiculous though, I cant find myself ever rooting for the toons or the twins, that is just preposterous.

davenicholson
07-11-2005, 09:41 AM
I am certainly not rooting for the Twins this year, but I will never, NEVER root for the Indians.
Well, "never" is an awful long time...If hell froze over and the Indians played Chicago(NL) in the World Series, you bet your donkey that I'd be cheering for Cleveland!!!

SoxFanTillDeath
07-11-2005, 04:02 PM
:chunks

If we are going to win the World Series I want it to be as sweet as possible. I want to beat the A's in the 1st round, the Twins in the 2nd round, and the Cubs in the world series. The only substitute would be to stick the Yankees in there instead of the Twins or the A's, but I don't want to win by default or have an easy road...

I want the White Sox world series win this year to go down as an absolute dismantling of the toughest of opponents leaving no room for ESPN or anyone else to discredit their win, forcing all national media to finally give the White Sox the credit they deserve.

:bandance:

miker
07-11-2005, 04:03 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon1.gif Should Sox Army get behind Twins and Indians?

Only if we have weapons and plenty of ammo!

fquaye149
07-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Well, "never" is an awful long time...If hell froze over and the Indians played Chicago(NL) in the World Series, you bet your donkey that I'd be cheering for Cleveland!!!

Can you imagine? someone would actually have to WIN that WS! I'm sure they'd find a way to draw...but even that wouldn't be right, since that would mean neither team LOST...:redneck

MsSoxVixen22
07-11-2005, 04:50 PM
Don't worry. Oakland isn't going to make the playoffs. The only team we need to worry about is our own. If the Sox play well, everything else will take care of itself.

I agree...I say the same thing. If things keep going the way they've been going (minus Oakland) we'll be fine. Let's hope we win the ASG so we have home field advantage

bigfoot
07-11-2005, 07:10 PM
[QUOTE=SoxFanTillDeath]If we are going to win the World Series I want it to be as sweet as possible. I want to beat the A's in the 1st round, the Twins in the 2nd round, and the Cubs in the world series. The only substitute would be to stick the Yankees in there instead of the Twins or the A's, but I don't want to win by default or have an easy road...

I want the White Sox world series win this year to go down as an absolute dismantling of the toughest of opponents leaving no room for ESPN or anyone else to discredit their win, forcing all national media to finally give the White Sox the credit they deserve."

The highlighted portion of your quote results in an incredible oxymoronic dilemma. How could the "toughest of opponents" include the Cubz?

SoxFanTillDeath
07-12-2005, 01:04 PM
The highlighted portion of your quote results in an incredible oxymoronic dilemma. How could the "toughest of opponents" include the Cubz?

:cool: Whoops...I guess I should have added a provision for the Cubs.

nedlug
07-12-2005, 09:08 PM
YES! I'm cheering for the Indians and Twins... well, just for tonight at least - go AL!

SoxFanTillDeath
07-15-2005, 11:41 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon1.gif Should Sox Army get behind Twins and Indians?

Only if we have weapons and plenty of ammo!

:rolling:

If my opinion meant anything I would nominate this for POTW...

Sad
07-15-2005, 12:41 PM
I'll start rooting for the Twins & Indians the same day I do the Yankees... :party: :bs: :kukoo: Hoo Hah.

woodenleg
07-15-2005, 02:06 PM
Yes, I think it's typical for Sox fans to just "tune out" when it comes to having to choose between a couple of teams that are on "the list" of hated teams.

Fake Chet Lemon
07-16-2005, 12:25 AM
This thread is ridiculous though, I cant find myself ever rooting for the toons or the twins, that is just preposterous.

Rooting for the Sox to have the best playoff match up is ridiculous? Please.............come on people. Rooting for the best match up is always the smart thing to do. What's ridiculous is I have to explain THAT and this Thread. :?:

Fake Chet Lemon
07-16-2005, 12:30 AM
No, and quit acting like a complete dumbass. :rolleyes:

We win a World Series once a century. If rooting for the best playoff match up makes me a dumb-ass then so be it.

Norberto7
07-16-2005, 12:41 AM
If the Sox cant beat the A's in the playoffs and play as poorly against them as they have this year and the past few years, they dont deserve to advance in the playoffs anyway.

:worship:

Ah yes, I was scrolling through to see if anyone had posted this already. If you can't beat the team that opposes you in the playoffs, then you are not worthy of anything, period. It doesn't matter if you can consistently beat the other 28 teams in baseball, if you face the one team that troubles you in the playoffs, you'd better be on. Since the advent of the wild card, how often has the "best" team won? At playoff time, key matchups become far more magnified, and the overall team differences that had become magnified during a 162 game season are swept back under the rug.

That said, the #1 thing that enhances postseason success is a front end of a rotation that you can ride. The Sox have that. Although previous experience suggests a Sox-Oakland playoff matchup would be bad news, I, for one, would like to see it. If they lose, so be it. If they win, though, it would be that much sweeter of a conquest.

I'd think the Sox would like it, too. I can't imagine they weren't royally upset with being home-swept. Just to prove to themselves they can do it when it counts, I'd guess that's what a team like the Sox would strive for.

SOXintheBURGH
07-16-2005, 12:47 AM
:worship:

Ah yes, I was scrolling through to see if anyone had posted this already. If you can't beat the team that opposes you in the playoffs, then you are not worthy of anything, period. It doesn't matter if you can consistently beat the other 28 teams in baseball, if you face the one team that troubles you in the playoffs, you'd better be on. Since the advent of the wild card, how often has the "best" team won? At playoff time, key matchups become far more magnified, and the overall team differences that had become magnified during a 162 game season are swept back under the rug.

That said, the #1 thing that enhances postseason success is a front end of a rotation that you can ride. The Sox have that. Although previous experience suggests a Sox-Oakland playoff matchup would be bad news, I, for one, would like to see it. If they lose, so be it. If they win, though, it would be that much sweeter of a conquest.

I'd think the Sox would like it, too. I can't imagine they weren't royally upset with being home-swept. Just to prove to themselves they can do it when it counts, I'd guess that's what a team like the Sox would strive for.

What if the Sox lost to Oakland 3-2? The suicide rate would be astronomical. If I had to pick any team to face in the first round, right now, I couldn't pick one. I wouldn't feel comfortable facing Anaheim, Oakland, Boston, or (gasp!) New York in the playoffs. Maybe its the White Sox fan in me, and sorry for being a dark cloud.. but the playoffs make me nervous.

:cleo

The New York Yankees, through their darkest hour, and their trialed times this season, took on the team with the best record in baseball and won 3 games to 1 and will face Boston.

THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN

Norberto7
07-16-2005, 01:01 AM
What if the Sox lost to Oakland 3-2? The suicide rate would be astronomical. If I had to pick any team to face in the first round, right now, I couldn't pick one. I wouldn't feel comfortable facing Anaheim, Oakland, Boston, or (gasp!) New York in the playoffs. Maybe its the White Sox fan in me, and sorry for being a dark cloud.. but the playoffs make me nervous.

To me, it's kind of like Frankenstein in Death Race 2000. Sure, they had all the old people lined up for him to run over. But, would he really have felt fulfilled in pursuing this course of action? What was the reward in that? No, he knew that by swerving into the crowd of youthful and agile doctors and nurses, instead of the senile, sedentary elderly set up for his vehicular manslaughter, he would, at the end of the day, be able to take pride in knowing that he didn't take the easy way out.

This is why I would have no problem with the Sox facing their devil in the playoffs. If you're going to win your first World Series since 1917, do it in style, I say.

Although, I can see the point "Since the Sox haven't won since 1917, let's not make it any harder than it has to be..." I just disagree.

Nellie_Fox
07-16-2005, 01:01 AM
If we are going to win the World Series I want it to be as sweet as possible. I want to beat the A's in the 1st round, the Twins in the 2nd round, and the Cubs in the world series. No, NO, NO!

I don't want the Cubs in the WS, for any reason, at any time. Ever.

FarWestChicago
07-16-2005, 01:15 AM
We win a World Series once a century. If rooting for the best playoff match up makes me a dumb-ass then so be it.Thank you for agreeing to it.

BanditJimmy
07-16-2005, 02:19 AM
New poster here.

Let's just hope to get home field and run with that. We are in a great position right now

I like our chances at home all day.

If we play Oakland, then be it. We are due to finally break our bad luck with them. Might as well do it in the ALDS.

nedlug
07-16-2005, 02:29 AM
Doesn't matter who we'll play.

Nellie_Fox
07-16-2005, 02:31 AM
Welcome Jimmy. I don't see Oakland being in the mix. I just want a White Sox WS championship in my lifetime. Whatever it takes.

BanditJimmy
07-16-2005, 02:40 AM
I agree with you 100%.

We as Sox fans are in no position right now to be making wishes of who to play come play-off time. Let's just get there and hope for the best.

Too many long suffering years, I hope this is the one.

The Racehorse
07-16-2005, 03:55 AM
Since this thread refuses to go away, I'll weigh in... no.