PDA

View Full Version : Mark Gonzales's recap an embarassment

MRKARNO
07-09-2005, 11:04 PM
His recap begins like this:

As the White Sox stumble to the end of the first half Sunday, they will try to regain some of the momentum that carried them to their best start in franchise history.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050709soxgamer,1,5050041.story?page=2&coll=cs-home-headlines

LOL! Oh no! They're only 7-6 over their last 13 games! They're on a neverending 2 game losing streak! Run for cover from the surging Twins!

Am I imagining things, or did we not just sweep the Tigers a few days ago? The Sox have struggled against Oakland, a team that the Sox just plain old do not match up well against and have always struggled against and now they are "stumbling"? GMAB. If you read the rest of the recap, it's clearly in a negative tone, as if the season was at a turning point and heading downward.

Has Mark Gonzales the company of Jay Mariotti and Mike North to become the first ever White Sox beat writer to be proclaimed a media troll?

Brian26
07-09-2005, 11:20 PM
Has Mark Gonzales the company of Jay Mariotti and Mike North to become the first ever White Sox beat writer to be proclaimed a media troll?

He apparently bleeds scrubby blue.

PeteWard
07-10-2005, 12:30 AM
Wow, sometimes I think we are too sensitive here about the trib and then I wake up and see this on their website (below). This is how it actually looks on the front page, under Sports. The Sox are "stumbling" by losing two--no matter that they have actaully gained on Cleve and Minn over the last ten games.
And the Cubs have this awesome two game streak going. After losing 8!! :o:

But hey, it was all because Lee was out right? Oh, he only missed two of those losses? No matter Wood is back and god is in heaven and the Cubbies will catch StL.
Listless Sox bomb big (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-050709soxgamer,1,7952785.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed)
As the White Sox stumble to the end of the first half Sunday, they will try to regain some of the momentum that carried them to their best start in franchise history.

Wood + Walker = streak (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-050709cubsgamer,1,3180186.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed)
Just when everyone is ready to bury the Cubs, they somehow find a way to get back on their feet.

JB98
07-10-2005, 01:46 AM
The bias isn't going to go away, guys. Just understand that we will laugh last. Despite our two-game losing streak, we possess a 10-game lead in our division. Despite the Cubs two-game winning streak, they are 7 games behind in the wild card and 12.5 behind the Cardinals. No amount of Tribune negativity toward the Sox or nauseating optimism about the Cubs is going to change the cold, hard facts: We are a legitimate World Series contender, and the baby bears are on the road to nowhere. That knowledge allows me to sleep well at night.

shoota
07-10-2005, 02:15 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51636&highlight=mark+gonzales

Some disagree.

jackbrohamer
07-10-2005, 01:05 PM
Man that's just unbelievable. They're "stumbling" with a 10 game lead and losing 2 games to the hottest team in baseball. "Pay no attention to the first half of the season folks, Cubs only down 7 in the Wild Card and only 5 teams to catch!!!"

itsnotrequired
07-10-2005, 03:09 PM
Man that's just unbelievable. They're "stumbling" with a 10 game lead and losing 2 games to the hottest team in baseball. "Pay no attention to the first half of the season folks, Cubs only down 7 in the Wild Card and only 5 teams to catch!!!"

Cubs won today. The amazing streak continues!

Brian26
07-10-2005, 03:20 PM
Cubs won today. The amazing streak continues!

Where do I purchase World Series Tickets?

Geez, it's not like the White Sox have the best record in baseball by six games over anyone else.

Erik The Red
07-10-2005, 04:38 PM
Where do I purchase World Series Tickets?

Geez, it's not like the White Sox have the best record in baseball by six games over anyone else.
Actually, they don't. The Cards' record is only about 2 games back of the Sox.

Dan H
07-11-2005, 07:00 AM
If I am not mistaken, getting swept by Oakland was the first sweep suffered by the Sox this season. It happens and will happen again. The Tribune is shameless, just shameless. The Cubs would be happy to go 7-6 in 13 games after losing 8 in a row. The Sox have not a losing streak that approaches. Obviouisly since they haven't been swept.

Of course Gonzales is the guy who, when supposedly writing to his cohort Paul Sullivan about the Sox, spent half the article talking about a Cubs game he attended and how wonderful it was. It is just time to skip the Tribune sports section.

itsnotrequired
07-11-2005, 09:17 AM
If I am not mistaken, getting swept by Oakland was the first sweep suffered by the Sox this season. It happens and will happen again. The Tribune is shameless, just shameless. The Cubs would be happy to go 7-6 in 13 games after losing 8 in a row. The Sox have not a losing streak that approaches. Obviouisly since they haven't been swept.

Of course Gonzales is the guy who, when supposedly writing to his cohort Paul Sullivan about the Sox, spent half the article talking about a Cubs game he attended and how wonderful it was. It is just time to skip the Tribune sports section.

Even the '98 Yankees got swept at home once. Three game sweep by the Angels in August. At the start of the series, the Angels were only 11 games over .500. And surprise, surprise, they were on a hot streak. 11-4 over the 15 games before the series.