PDA

View Full Version : Dave Wills Speaking about WSI

TornLabrum
07-09-2005, 11:57 AM
While I was interviewing Dave for the WCSF Newsletter, he said the following about WSI while he was telling how he much he missed his day-to-day contact with club members:

"I miss the people from White Sox Interactive, too. I got some of the people from the Devil Rays to log on to the site, and asked them if they had anything like it. They were amazed. They said there is nothing like that here."

Of course we are the results of a 100-plus-year passionate relationship between the Sox and their fans, but it's fun hearing how people from another team react when they look at us.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-09-2005, 01:37 PM
Not to take anything away from Dolgin, who I think does a great job with his show too, but Wills is tough to beat.

What made Wills' show special was how focused he kept it on the Sox, tailored especially for Sox Fans. No beating around the bushes with Dave. He was a Sox Fan and wore his allegiance on his shirt sleeve.

Sure it was nearly over the top, but so what? Anybody who didn't like it could find a dozen pale and insipid imitators droning on and on about baseball news. Wills' show was totally different.

I hope Dolgin gets a shot to keep his job with the Score next season because I think he has earned it. If they replace him, it ought to be with another totally biased Sox Fan. However if the Snore goes the insipid "gee whiz" route don't expect me to be listening. I can get the same crap reading the Cubune.

cbone
07-09-2005, 01:57 PM
My favorite Will's memory is from Father's Day, I think 2 years ago. He had his daughter in the studio I believe. She did his trademark intro in a squeaky little girl voice including the NEEEEXXXXT! Adorable and a classic!

SOXSINCE'70
07-09-2005, 02:04 PM
I wish Dave the best of luck in TB,but I will miss his
"drillrods" refernces,his fan etiquette lessons and,of course,
all his sCrUBbie hatred.:D: :cool:

TornLabrum
07-09-2005, 02:07 PM
Not to take anything away from Dolgin, who I think does a great job with his show too, but Wills is tough to beat.

What made Wills' show special was how focused he kept it on the Sox, tailored especially for Sox Fans. No beating around the bushes with Dave. He was a Sox Fan and wore his allegiance on his shirt sleeve.

Sure it was nearly over the top, but so what? Anybody who didn't like it could find a dozen pale and insipid imitators droning on and on about baseball news. Wills' show was totally different.

I hope Dolgin gets a shot to keep his job with the Score next season because I think he has earned it. If they replace him, it ought to be with another totally biased Sox Fan. However if the Snore goes the insipid "gee whiz" route don't expect me to be listening. I can get the same crap reading the Cubune.

I hope he gets that shot, too. Bryan is a good guy based on my limited contact with him which involved asking him on short notice to emcee our June luncheon and talking with him at the luncheon. He is employed through baseball season by WMVP, so his future is definitely in doubt.

Bryan isn't Dave, but we don't need a clone, and I think we'd resent it if he tried to be Dave. He has his own style, and I like it. Different from Dave, but good nonetheless.

I loved listening to him and Dave during Rain Delay Theater comparing notes on the "sky is falling" callers.

duke of dorwood
07-09-2005, 02:53 PM
The history of moves or lack of, made by the Snore makes me ready for the worst.

I put Wills in the class of Carey & Piersall in the way I was entertained while listening.

kevingrt
07-09-2005, 03:28 PM
somebody needs to get a mp3 file or wav file of Willis going "White Sox baseball is NEXTTTT! Boom Boom"

Man gotta love Willis!

batmanZoSo
07-09-2005, 05:46 PM

Wills is a Sox fan, we're all Sox fans, we're listening. Or were anyway. He did it the way it should've been. He was a big fan, but not a blind company man who wouldn't place criticism where it was due. I would expect that show to lose a lot of listeners if an "objective" host is brought in. The current regime seems to be in touch with what we like and want, so hopefully they know this too.

Foulke You
07-09-2005, 08:54 PM
I would bet any amount of money that Dave Wills will return to the White Sox in some capacity in the future. Who knows? Maybe the Score will want to hire him to do his old gig on a new 50,000 watt station?

TornLabrum
07-09-2005, 10:54 PM
I would bet any amount of money that Dave Wills will return to the White Sox in some capacity in the future. Who knows? Maybe the Score will want to hire him to do his old gig on a new 50,000 watt station?

After talking for over a half hour on the phone with Dave today, I'd guess that he wouldn't do that. His goal has always been to do PBP.