PDA

View Full Version : Bochard vs Patterson

gosox41
07-09-2005, 12:05 PM
Both the Sox and Cubs have an OFer with high expectations that have flopped. So it leads me to the question:

Who has a brighter major league future, Borchard or Patterson?

Bob

patbooyah
07-09-2005, 12:13 PM
i think patterson has good tools, they just never seem to come together. i expect him to make a turnaround like garland at some point.

spiffie
07-09-2005, 12:21 PM
Patterson will likely play in the majors during a non-September time of year again. On the other hand

:LTP

I think I can break the record Crash Davis set.

JB98
07-09-2005, 01:37 PM
I think Patterson is overrated, but he has a brighter future than Borch. Patterson was on his way to a big year before getting hurt in 2003. During his various call-ups, Borch hasn't even shown signs of being a good player. Patterson actually has had extended stretches of success at the big-league level at different points in his career.

I think both of these players are in need of a change of scenery. Patterson desperately needs to get away from Dusty. Patterson needs a manager, not an enabler.

As for Borch, the "five-tool" label and the signing bonus he got seem to be dark clouds over his head. He puts too much pressure on himself to live up to expectations that were perhaps set too high. I think he feels he has let the Sox organization down, and he's dragged himself down in the process. If he went somewhere else, the expectations would be lower. Some of the pressure would be taken away, and maybe he would be able to carve out a decent career for himself. He's never going to achieve the superstar status that some predicted for him, obviously.

miker
07-09-2005, 02:59 PM
Who has a brighter major league future, Borchard or Patterson?
Me! :smile:

Seriously, for every kid that makes it as a decent MLB player, there is always a "can't miss" prospect that doesn't even make it as a reserve, much less a superstar. Remember Daryl Boston?

Patterson and Borchard also show that being a great athlete doesn't guarantee you will be an average ball player. You have to learn the game and develop the skills particular to it.

I wish them both luck.

RallyBowl
07-09-2005, 05:07 PM
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Willie Harris?

slavko
07-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Borchard to Bourbonnais as a QB candidate.