PDA

View Full Version : Who Goes When Marte/El Duque Come Back?

TomBradley72
07-09-2005, 09:58 AM
Obviously Walker goes....who's the 2nd pitcher who goes? The way Jenks looked the other night...hate to see him go....

balke
07-09-2005, 12:11 PM
I'm starting to think a deal will be made soon, and Jenks, a PTBN, and perhaps Willie will be a part of it.

JB98
07-09-2005, 12:21 PM
Obviously Walker goes....who's the 2nd pitcher who goes? The way Jenks looked the other night...hate to see him go....

Unless a deal is made, it's going to be Jenks. I was also impressed with him the other night. I'd like to see him pitch in a pressure situation sometime this weekend, so I can see how he reacts. You can't read too much into one outing. I'd like to see him make four or five appearances before I form an opinion on whether he can help us this year. He certainly has a good arm.

Lip Man 1
07-09-2005, 12:27 PM
As it stands right now Walker (no big loss) and Jenks (you'll see him again on Sept. 1).

When Gload comes back it's goodbye and don't let the door hit you in the rear end, Willie Harris.

Lip

Tragg
07-09-2005, 12:45 PM
I'm starting to think a deal will be made soon, and Jenks, a PTBN, and perhaps Willie will be a part of it.

Jenks is a player who to me wouldn't bring much (hard to expect much from a player with one recent ML outing and a bizarre history), but may be valuable to us (the way he pitched in admittedly 1 outing). I wouldn't trade him.
Willie is Willie and if we're going to assign him, just as soon get something for him if someone wants him.

I do note that until last night, it was Timo who would be assigned; now it's Harris.

soxfanreggie
07-09-2005, 02:24 PM
I still think Timo should be assigned. We should check out how Brian Anderson would do. Also, Willie can play center better than Timo can play the infield. It'd be easier to have him be the 6th outfielder. With Everett, he can back up Dye or whoever is in left and then Pods or Rowand can play center. Even if we don't designate them for assignment, Willie and Timo can be trade bait to try to lure someone here. I don't know if I'm ready to give up on Willie just yet; however, if we can get someone real good and he can help do that, I'd be for it.

doublem23
07-09-2005, 02:48 PM

I don't even want to know what sort of crap we'd get in exchange for that deal.

balke
07-09-2005, 02:49 PM
At least Wilie can play 2B and in a pinch SS. Timo is absolutely worthless. I hope one game doesn't save Timo's place on the team over anyone, there's much better OFers in our minors.

balke
07-09-2005, 02:53 PM
I don't even want to know what sort of crap we'd get in exchange for that deal.

I shouldn't have said PTBN I was trying to say someone else, maybe some good prospect, or possibly Marte would go with them. I just think Jenks is being showcased, Willie wants out and is young with a decent hype behind him from before he was called up to the Sox, and perhaps if you throw in Marte you can snag Wagner for them, since you'd be paying his salary.

I don't mean to suggest more trade ideas, I just THINK these are players who could be gone in a deal, and it would free up space for people coming off the DL.

doublem23
07-09-2005, 03:28 PM
I really hope not. Dealing Marte and/or Jenks would be a mistake, IMO; bullpen arms are more precious than I think a lot of people give credit for; they're hard to find and not easy to replace, especially talented middle relievers. Though I could live with the loss of Bobby Jenks, as he has not yet been a proven staple to the club, I'd be much more willing to lose guys like McCarthy and Anderson ahead of a guy like Damaso or Bobby, on the fact I think starting pitching and outfielders are rather plentiful at the MLB level, and Kenny has shown a knack for finding some hidden gems (Tadahito, Pierzynski, etc.). I just think it's easier to find a guy who can play right field an give you decent production than it is to find a guy who can slam a door in the late innings of the game, IMO.

The Sox bullpen has been great this year. No need to fix something that ain't broke.

balke
07-09-2005, 03:37 PM
I really hope not. Dealing Marte and/or Jenks would be a mistake, IMO; bullpen arms are more precious than I think a lot of people give credit for; they're hard to find and not easy to replace, especially talented middle relievers. Though I could live with the loss of Bobby Jenks, as he has not yet been a proven staple to the club, I'd be much more willing to lose guys like McCarthy and Anderson ahead of a guy like Damaso or Bobby, on the fact I think starting pitching and outfielders are rather plentiful at the MLB level, and Kenny has shown a knack for finding some hidden gems (Tadahito, Pierzynski, etc.). I just think it's easier to find a guy who can play right field an give you decent production than it is to find a guy who can slam a door in the late innings of the game, IMO.

The Sox bullpen has been great this year. No need to fix something that ain't broke.

I agree completely, I'm a huge Marte fan/supporter. I just feel that even when he's on sometimes, his large arc on his Slider works against him, and doesn't get called for a strike all the time when it hits the back of the Plate.

I remember the article earlier this season on Whitesox.com about Marte possibly being trade bait, and Whitesox.com usually elludes to things that will happen in the future, as they did with CLee last season. If he were to go, I'd like to see Wagner take his place, or possibly Guardado (sp). As that would probably strengthen our bullpen top to bottom, having a solid non-injured lefty late in games with Cotts; and Politte and Hermanson late in games as dominant righties. I'm okay with keeping Jenks, but if the right deal comes along for a good lefty reliever, or a package deal for a Lilly type pitcher... I wouldn't be complaining.

slobes
07-09-2005, 03:57 PM
I think the Sox would have no choice but to send down Jenks along with Walker. Then again, maybe Shingo would be sent down? It sounds sorta crazy but there isn't much place for him in the bullpen except eating up innings.

As for when Ross Gload comes back, I believe that Wille should be sent down instead of Timo, although this probably won't happen. It just seems like when he has played, Timo has helped the team a lot more than Willie has.

HebrewHammer
07-10-2005, 01:13 AM
Toss Jenks and Walker into the woodchipper, assuming Jenks fits.

lostletters
07-10-2005, 02:11 AM
Jenks and Walker are going to be sent back down. Thank God.

Timo or Harris is a tough call. Harris I think will get the call down because he can be sent down without being released.

Gload is coming up. Konerko is clearly suffering from everyday play. Plus I am not sure Konerko will be around next year, Gload is probably going to be the full time first baseman next year.

Mr. White Sox
07-10-2005, 02:29 AM
Jenks and Walker are going to be sent back down. Thank God.

Timo or Harris is a tough call. Harris I think will get the call down because he can be sent down without being released.

Gload is coming up. Konerko is clearly suffering from everyday play. Plus I am not sure Konerko will be around next year, Gload is probably going to be the full time first baseman next year.

If Gload can prove that he can swing the stick, that would be ideal...a plus defensive 1B that can hit for cheap...that way KW can keep Buehrle, Thomas, etc. without a problem.

soxfanreggie
07-10-2005, 09:49 AM
I think it would have to be Shingo or Jenks. Give Jenks one or two more chances, mostly to prove if last night meant he wasn't ready or just had a bad game. Viz would've been the person to send down, but he's had a better July than Shingo, only giving up 3 runs in 17.2 innings (2 games out of his last 13 in June and July he's given up runs). Who knows when Shingo or Viz will turn on/off, hopefully one of them is on for the playoffs. I guess we'll have to see if we want a frisbee pitcher like Shingo, a power pitcher like Jenks, or Viz.

Brian26
07-10-2005, 10:55 AM
If Hollywood gets sent down when Gload comes back, who is our backup second basemen?

White Sox Josh
07-10-2005, 10:59 AM
Jenks will probably be sent down. I think Ozzie needs to start giving Shingo an assigned role. He has pitched better of late. Jenks still has options left.

Lip Man 1
07-10-2005, 12:43 PM
Me thinks the Sox would kill to have someone as good and as valuable as Craig Grebek right about now.

Lip