PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Bartman story

iamkoza
07-09-2005, 05:29 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=bartman

It was on espn.com's front page, somewhat interesting i think :o:

dcb33
07-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Why can't they leave this poor guy alone? He's suffered enough...

RKMeibalane
07-09-2005, 10:14 AM

I agree. The Cubs didn't lose because of what he did. They lost because they suck.

SoxFan78
07-09-2005, 10:16 AM
Even though this guy did have to go as far as stalking Bartman, I thought it was a fairly well written story. Gave some good insight, from a stalking point of view.

TornLabrum
07-09-2005, 10:23 AM
Why do we need two threads on this? (See "Bartman Story.")

MarySwiss
07-09-2005, 10:39 AM
The first thought that occured to me was, "Why don't they leave this poor guy alone?" The second thought was, "The Cubs are losing all over the place, it's the weekend before the All-Star Game, and THIS is the lead story?

DumpJerry
07-09-2005, 10:59 AM
Ok, it's time to boycott ESPN advertisers, cancel any subscriptions to "ESPN The Magazine" (what kind of name is that anyway??). They pay this guy to do this? Not with my money! BTW, the Sun-Times ran a brief summary of this story in today's (Saturday) paper, they deserve death, too.

This obsession with Bartman is not sick, it is psychotic! He did the same thing everyone else in his situation would do, try to catch a foul ball. There is nothing wrong with that! He did not cause the Flubs to mess up the rest of the inning allowing Ozzie's team to score 8 runs, as far as we know he was not present at Game 7 where Balsa Wood walked the bases loaded and then gave up the Grand Salami.

Memo to Cub Tot Lot (the opposite of "Nation"), ESPN and other Flub-obsessed psychos: GET OVER IT! The Flubs were not in the 2003 World Series because it was not meant to be, pure and simple. Ozzie's team was meant to be there.

Ok, I hope I have shown the difference between Us and Them.

jdm2662
07-09-2005, 11:28 AM
Would you leave the poor guy alone already. This is one of many reasons why I refuse to watch ESPN or pay attention to the media in general. The Cubbie loving media is so stupid its not even funny anymore. He's not the reason they lost! Get over it people!
________
Brunette Threesome (http://www.****tube.com/categories/445/threesome/videos/1)

RallyBowl
07-09-2005, 11:30 AM
I agree. The Cubs didn't lose because of what he did. They lost because they suck.:rolling:
SO TRUE. Scrub fans fprget about the god- awful baseball they played the last three innings of that game, and the game after. good article, not sure if the writer crossed any lines, i agree, LEAVE HIM ALONE! He is the only scrub fan I would ever say that about.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-09-2005, 11:39 AM
LEAVE HIM ALONE! He is the only scrub fan I would ever say that about.

I've long maintained Bartman should be placed in the FBI's witness protection program. I'm thinking he would be safest in Beverly or Mt. Greenwood.

:wink:

TommyJohn
07-09-2005, 11:44 AM
:moron

How dare he!!!! How dare Bartman talk to someone other than me!!! How dare
he turn down my 1,000 requests for an interview!! How dare he ignore my
many obsessive whacko phone calls at 3 AM that filled up his answering
machine!!! How dare he ignore my many requests for a romantic dinner by
candlelight!!! That cuts it!! I'm going to feverishly obsess over him even more!!
I'm going to mention him TWICE in every Cub column I write from now on!! I'm
going to blame him for every single thing that has gone wrong with the Cubs
from Corey Patterson's demotion to the hurricane in Florida!! If my Derrek
doesn't win the Triple Crown, I'll blame him for that, too!! I'll show him what
he gets for costing my Cubbies the World Series!!! I'll teach him good!!

TommyJohn
07-09-2005, 11:49 AM
I've long maintained Bartman should be placed in the FBI's witness protection program. I'm thinking he would be safest in Beverly or Mt. Greenwood.

:wink:

Or Miami.

cleanwsox
07-09-2005, 11:55 AM
Alex Gonzalez got off big time that night. If the Bartman play doesn't happen, he's the next Bill Buckner or Leon Durham. Now everybody forgets about what he did and blames the fan. Also, if Alou doesn't freak out like he did after Bartman touches it, nobody over reacts about it.

TommyJohn
07-09-2005, 12:11 PM

It was on espn.com's front page, somewhat interesting i think :o:

I just read the story. I want those 20 minutes of my life back.

Over By There
07-09-2005, 01:06 PM
I just read the story. I want those 20 minutes of my life back.

Me too. Cubs fans are ridiculous. I suppose Cubs fans will find this little story of stalking cute. Pathetic.

Lip Man 1
07-09-2005, 01:40 PM
I feel sorry for the hell the drunken idiots put him through including Dusty Baker who immediately after the game blamed him for the loss in the press conference (which he later recanted...) but frankly

WE DON'T CARE.

Lip

tebman
07-09-2005, 02:17 PM
I didn't read the ESPN story, but it doesn't matter because it's irrelevant. Like has already been said, leave the poor guy alone! He did absolutely nothing wrong, the Cubs lost that game and that series without anybody's help, and here we are nearly two years after that game and the man's still being stalked by writers looking for a cheap angle.

Maybe WSI can send him a condolence card. He's a genuine baseball fan, a paying ticket customer, and he's dealing with abuse that's normally reserved for the White Sox and their fans.

He deserves better -- we could make him an honorary Sox fan! :cool:

NonetheLoaiza
07-09-2005, 02:43 PM
Seriously, leave this guy alone. That they can't just let him be is ludicrous.

TommyJohn
07-09-2005, 03:20 PM
I didn't read the ESPN story, but it doesn't matter because it's irrelevant. Like has already been said, leave the poor guy alone! He did absolutely nothing wrong, the Cubs lost that game and that series without anybody's help, and here we are nearly two years after that game and the man's still being stalked by writers looking for a cheap angle.

Maybe WSI can send him a condolence card. He's a genuine baseball fan, a paying ticket customer, and he's dealing with abuse that's normally reserved for the White Sox and their fans.

He deserves better -- we could make him an honorary Sox fan! :cool:

That's a good point. Whenever we see or hear anything in the media about
White Sox fans, it is usually the old Ligue stereotype. No one ever talks
about the yahoo animals that were there that night and how they abused
Bartman to the point where he must've feared for his life. The focus is on
nerd Bartman and what he did. The animals who were there that night
and the ones who made his life hell afterward are remembered as "passionate"
"long-suffering" fans.

Then there are the creeps in the media, which is a different story all
together. Right now, the song they are singing is basically "Nothing has
gone right for the Cubs since the Bartman moment" which is shorthand
for "the Cubs continue to be the inept organization that they have always
been so let's blame one fan for it all because it is much easier than trying
to find every real reason why they are bad." Case in point: every time a
Cub player went down with an injury, Jay Mariotti would invoke Bartman's
name. Why? I can't think of any reason other than that Mariotti is a
classless prick. He did it when Garciaparra went down. I guess it was much
easier than writing a thoughtful analysis that could be boiled down to "this
is what happens when you sign an injury-prone player in the hopes that he'll
stay healthy." Same with Prior, who has been injury-prone since 2002, but
somehow when he goes down, Bartman gets mentioned. And Mariotti wonders
why people despise him.

Of course, there's also Harry Tinybrain and Lester Munster. Don't get me
started on those two. All I have to say is that Bartman has more class
than all of them put together. If it were me, I'd have a huge urge to tell
every one of those lunatics to go straight to.......

JUribe1989
07-09-2005, 03:34 PM
I felt terrible for the guy when it originally happened. Prior and Alou should have calmed down after that. If Alou hadn't reacted the way he did, no one would have remembered. And that's why I hate those two players to this day.

TDog
07-09-2005, 05:10 PM

In general terms, I would say that anyone who makes the choice to be a Cubs fan when such a preferable alternative is available cannot suffer enough.

Pragmatically, energy Cubs fans exert on persecuting this Bartman person is energy they can't spend persecuting Sox fans.

I know that if I had been in Bartman's situation, I would have backed off. I've been to many games in the first row down the lines, and I always do. There are potential consequences for those tho don't. Too bad.

Unregistered
07-09-2005, 05:48 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3049

slavko
07-09-2005, 07:36 PM
If a security guard had given Wayne Drehs the beatdown of his life. Obssessed moron. Bartman is a prince for treating him so well. An average Sox fan would have given him a piece of his mind he wouldn't forget accompanied by a good belly bumping.

Now...the famous foul ball was over Bartman's head, in the stands. That's why the left field umpire was signaling "out of play" by pointing to the stands. Like foul balls do, the sidespin that makes them curve foul going up has the reverse effect and makes them "come back" on the way down. The poor guy is innocent!!!! Alou is a jerk for his childish display. Enough of this waste of time.

MarySwiss
07-09-2005, 07:56 PM
In my book, this Bartman guy is kind of a quiet hero. I mean, how many people would've refused to profit from all that publicity? Most folks would've been on every possible TV and radio show, signing book deals right and left.

SoxSpeed22
07-09-2005, 10:27 PM
If it wasn't him it was gonna be somebody else. He doesn't deserve what he got but he got it. Also, I believe that the moment that sticks out = who get's blamed. (Fenway) Why do you think Calvin Schiraldi got off so easily after 1986? Buckner didn't blow the 2 run lead with none on and 2 outs, Schiraldi did. The Buckner moment was the one that stuck, which is why he got blamed for it. I want to hear Fenway's take on my theory, so that's why the parenthesis is there.

soltrain21
07-10-2005, 12:30 PM
Troubled soul to troubled soul?

Give me a break. This ESPN ******* doesn't even come CLOSE to knowing what Bartman has had to go through.

Cubs fans need to go away.

More imporantly...why is Bartman still a Cubs fan? I would hate the teams guts after all the **** they put him through.

TommyJohn
07-10-2005, 12:34 PM
Troubled soul to troubled soul?

Give me a break. This ESPN ******* doesn't even come CLOSE to knowing what Bartman has had to go through.

Cubs fans need to go away.

More imporantly...why is Bartman still a Cubs fan? I would hate the teams guts after all the **** they put him through.

Good point. What the hell did that guy do or go through that makes him a
"troubled soul?" What a dip. Clowns like this give decent Cub fans and
decent journalists who work hard and are honest a bad name.

Bisco Stu
07-10-2005, 01:52 PM

Bisco Stu
07-10-2005, 01:55 PM
Ooops, didn't notice the thread on it. So sari, as they say on Devon Ave.

Cellview22
07-10-2005, 02:10 PM
The biggest surprise: " My name is Wayne Drehs. I'm a die-hard, lifelong Cub fan and a feature writer for ESPN.com." :rolleyes:

It's ridiculous that this guy apologizes to Bartman on behalf of all the idiotic Cub fans and all the death threats, yet he's the reason the story is so blown out of proportion. ESPN and FOX, along with the Chicago media, should've just let it die about a week after the Cubs blew it.

White Sox Josh
07-10-2005, 02:14 PM
DAMNIT. When will everybody learn, the Marlins were just a better team than the Cubs. Did steve Bartman come in and blow game 7 in which they had a 5-3 lead in. no. Marlins were the best team that year in baseball period.

Fenway
07-10-2005, 08:25 PM
The poor guy went brain dead when he saw the ball coming his way. Every baseball fan dreams of catching a ball

I am glad he still follows the team and maybe he somehow gets to Wrigley at times. The yellow 8 was not because of Bartman, the Marlins were the best team.

Grady Little cost Boston a shot at the Marlins and I don't think the Red Sox would have won against them.

UglySince83
07-10-2005, 09:30 PM
I have the misfortune of having some cubs fans as friends and one of them says if he was in that position he would have not gone for the ball. Bull****. Did some kid catch a homerun ball a few years ago that cost some team a playoff game ? Mets Yankees maybe? how come nobody ever talked about this kid anymore? I bet he didnt get a gabillion death threats.

Foulke You
07-10-2005, 10:53 PM
That Bartman article was downright creepy. I mean, this guy was stalking him at his house, at his job, following him for miles in his car? ***??! If I was Bartman, I would have called the police on that clown.

Also, I agree with a previous poster who wondered why this is the lead story on ESPN.com as the first half comes to a close. The Bartman play was in 2003! Let it go! I think I would have rather read another "What's wrong with the Yankees?" articles than this steamy pile. Just another crappy article adding to the losing mythology of a sad baseball franchise.

Chips
07-10-2005, 11:02 PM
I can't believe I spent all this time reading the story and then all the posts. it was two years and the Flubs sucked, they suck now, and they always will suck.

Dan H
07-11-2005, 08:15 AM
I didn't read the Bartman story and won't read any in the future. Not only did the Cubs blow game 6, they choked in game 7. The Bartman incident needs to go away and go away for good. The guy didn't do anything. The Cubbies, as they always do, just acted like crybabies.

If this doesn't expose the sickness that surrounds the sick franchise known as the Chicago Cubs, nothing will. It is supposed to be such a great experience to go and watch those lovable Cubbies. But if you catch a home run hit by the visiting team and don't want to throw it back, you fear for your life. If you try to catch a foul ball that clearly is out of play, but Cubbie fans think their cry baby left fielder has a one in a million chance to get it, you fear for your life. If you live near the park, you fear for your life on game days.

All these people need to get a life, but they won't. Regardless, they don't deserve a team with a winning tradition. Besides, they wouldn't know what to do with it if they had one.

RichFitztightly
07-11-2005, 08:24 PM
I have the misfortune of having some cubs fans as friends and one of them says if he was in that position he would have not gone for the ball. Bull****. Did some kid catch a homerun ball a few years ago that cost some team a playoff game ? Mets Yankees maybe? how come nobody ever talked about this kid anymore? I bet he didnt get a gabillion death threats.

I'm pretty sure you're talking about Jeffrey Maier. He still gets mentioned periodically. The difference between Maier and Bartman is that Maier's interference helped the hometeam Yankees while... well you know what Bartman's interference did to the home team. Apparently he's still a minor celebrity in NY.