PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Game Traffic Control Tonight

TornLabrum
07-09-2005, 01:02 AM
Whoever started a recent thread about post-game traffic control should have gotten a load of tonight's pre-game traffic control at 35th and Wentworth. It was amazing.

When I bought my Ozzie 13 package in November, I decided to also buy parking passes so I wouldn't have to carry around an extra 17 bucks each game. Last year the plans came with red passes. This year they came with green passes.

Now if you actually follow the signs on the driving southbound on the Ryan, the directions for green passes is to exit on 35th St., and I've been doing so for most games. They keep you on the left of the cones, and when it's more crowded, they have the cars coming off at 35th form two lines. The right lane on the other side of the cones is a single lane accommodating right turns and other cars crossing 35th to go to the lots on 37th.

So tonight I followed my usual practice. Traffic security people then signaled to form two lanes before 35th St., so I headed for the left lane. Suddenly when I could finally se what was going on once you get to 35th, I saw them directing both lanes to make left turns onto 35th, which was backed up at the light across the Ryan at LaSalle. As a result, the turning cars were blocking traffic in both directions on 35th?

So what was happening on Wentworth between 35th and 37th? Nothing! There was no traffic. A trickle of cars was actually traveling to 37th. I saw maybe 5-10 cars in the two blocks south of 35th. Whether you had a green parking pass or not made no difference to these geniuses. You either had to go to Lasalle and double back to 31st to get where you wanted to go, or you could head down State St. to Pershing and try to double back.

Considering that it had already taken me 90 minutes to drive the 39 miles from my driveway to the park and that it was already past six o'clock, rather than trying to double back to 37th someplace west of the tracks, I made the assumption that perhaps the reason they were doing this was because F lot (south of 37th) was already filled up, and that was the reason for the rerouting of traffic. So I decided to park in the overflow lot (betweeb 38th and Pershing Rd.) which was already about a third full.

So did I find a full F lot when I crossed 38th St.? Hell, no! F lot was less than half full. However, there was almost no traffic on 37th and few cars trying to get in.

Morons!

Palehose13
07-09-2005, 01:25 AM
Hal-

I always exit at 31st street and cruise the middle lane to lot E. Forget 35th street when there will be high attendance.

Joosh
07-09-2005, 02:20 AM
I had a thread back from the Dogers series when they closed the 35th Street Exit Completly about 45 minutes to game time. However, this sounds way more moronic. After taking the Blue to the Red line down to the park for the Cubs series, I have decided that will be my means of travel to the park. So much easier.

Palehose13
07-09-2005, 02:22 AM
I had a thread back from the Dogers series when they closed the 35th Street Exit Completly about 45 minutes to game time. However, this sounds way more moronic. After taking the Blue to the Red line down to the park for the Cubs series, I have decided that will be my means of travel to the park. So much easier.

Yeah...I bet. too bad the el doesn't run a little farther up north. :wink:

Joosh
07-09-2005, 02:27 AM
Yeah...I bet. too bad the el doesn't run a little farther up north. :wink:

Well, I only go to games with my Dad. Since he lives in Palatine, we just park at Cumberland, hop on the Blue line, switch to the Red line at Washingtn, and take that to the Cell. It works very well.

TornLabrum
07-09-2005, 07:29 AM

Unfortunately neither the blue nor the red (nor any other color) lines run to Joliet.

TornLabrum
07-09-2005, 07:31 AM
Hal-

I always exit at 31st street and cruise the middle lane to lot E. Forget 35th street when there will be high attendance.

I thought about getting off at 31st but figured it might be backed up a bit since I was later than usual getting to the game. Usually I'm there when they're just setting up the cones on 37th. My big mistake was talking to a friend about the July WCSF luncheon and not leaving home until 4:30. The inbound Stevenson is a mess on Fridays.

Viva Medias B's
07-09-2005, 08:51 AM
31st Street exit is the way to go when coming down the Dan Ryan. That way, you are to the right of the cones and in an easier position to go down Wentworth when crossing 35th Street. If you want to park in Lot E and access the Princeton gate, you have to get there relatively early. That is because once enough cars fill the eastern portion of Lot E, a parking attendant at 37th and Princeton usually forces you to drive to the Lot E gate by the viaduct.

If you coming up the Stevenson, there is also the option of the Ashland-35th Street back route. I agree with the inbound Stevenson being backed up on Fridays. It seems it's been that way more and more lately, and not just on Fridays. I can remember when the Stevenson used to be real quick at that time of day, and the only backups were ourbound. The back route is especially good, although occasionaly time consuming, if you are paking in Lot G. Remember parking is only $8.00 at Lot G if you arrive earlier than 1 hours before first pitch. Lot G also places you about halfway between the ballpark and Bridgeport amenities (i.e., Grandstand, Schaller's, etc.).

The Wimperoo
07-09-2005, 08:53 AM
I always get off at 31st street. It is always faster imo.

I came from the Loop yesterday, so I drove around and came in the back way on 37th. I got there around 5:15, and it seemed like they were only allowing people that had the green parking passes to go into Lot E and were directing those with cash into F. Lot E was practically filled up by the time I got there. I parked in one of the last few rows, which made for a quick exit after fireworks.

TornLabrum
07-09-2005, 08:56 AM
31st Street exit is the way to go when coming down the Dan Ryan. That way, you are to the right of the cones and in an easier position to go down Wentworth when crossing 35th Street. If you want to park in Lot E and access the Princeton gate, you have to get there relatively early. That is because once enough cars fill the eastern portion of Lot E, a parking attendant at 37th and Princeton usually forces you to drive to the Lot E gate by the viaduct.

If you coming up the Stevenson, there is also the option of the Ashland-35th Street back route. The back route is especially good, although occasionaly time consuming, if you are paking in Lot G. Remember parking is only $8.00 at Lot G if you arrive earlier than 1 hours before first pitch. Lot G also places you about halfway between the ballpark and Bridgeport amenities (i.e., Grandstand, Schaller's, etc.).

I've done the Ashland exit several times when traffic was bad. However, last night all the backed up traffic was before Cicero, and from Pulaski on there was almost no traffic. I knew I was probably going to be too late to get to Lot E (my green pass is only good for lots E,F, and L, not G), but as I said, I fully expected since they were allowing no traffic south on Wentworth past 35th, that Lot F would also be full.

In fact is was at least half empty with few cars on 37th going into it This was because cars were being forced back to 31st St., even though there was NO traffic on Wentworth south of 35th. As I said, it was just plain stupid.

alohafri
07-09-2005, 09:00 AM
I thought about getting off at 31st but figured it might be backed up a bit since I was later than usual getting to the game. Usually I'm there when they're just setting up the cones on 37th. My big mistake was talking to a friend about the July WCSF luncheon and not leaving home until 4:30. The inbound Stevenson is a mess on Fridays.

Oh, sure! Blame me! ;)

I always get off at Ashland and wind my way through the backstreets no matter which lot I am parking in. Last night, I took 35th to Union, left on Union to 33rd to Bill Veeck Drive. When in the south lots, Ashland to Pershing.

RedPinStripes
07-09-2005, 09:04 AM
Hal-

That's the only way to go! :D:

Viva Medias B's
07-09-2005, 09:06 AM
Oh, sure! Blame me! ;)

I always get off at Ashland and wind my way through the backstreets no matter which lot I am parking in. Last night, I took 35th to Union, left on Union to 33rd to Bill Veeck Drive. When in the south lots, Ashland to Pershing.

Ashland does not intersect Pershing, right? Doesn't a bridge on Ashland go over Pershing?

RedPinStripes
07-09-2005, 09:18 AM
Ashland does not intersect Pershing, right? Doesn't a bridge on Ashland go over Pershing?

You can go along side of it and catch 39th.

TomBradley72
07-09-2005, 10:03 AM
Pershing is always a solid way to go even for sell outs...exit at Pershing....go west...turn right at the tracks....and you'll end up in the closest lot available...and easy access to the Bullpen Sports Bar!

kevingrt
07-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Yeah 35th exit is probably the worst exit to take unless you are there really early or it's like a thursday afternoon game. It's much better to take the exit before (31st street?) or the exit after (Pershing Rd). Much quicker and much less traffic.

As for your night, I bet they were starting to park people coming early anywhere they could and then put the late comers up close. Makes no sense but I bet that was what they were doing.

FielderJones
07-09-2005, 10:22 AM
I always get off at Ashland and wind my way through the backstreets no matter which lot I am parking in.

I have to agree with this strategy. There is no reason to use the Ryan, ever. There is always a way to keep moving, and eventually find your lot. I haven't been on the Ryan since the South Side Hitmen. That's the season I discovered the Ashland exit.

alohafri
07-09-2005, 10:52 AM
I have to agree with this strategy. There is no reason to use the Ryan, ever. There is always a way to keep moving, and eventually find your lot. I haven't been on the Ryan since the South Side Hitmen. That's the season I discovered the Ashland exit.

Amen. If I'm on the Ryan, you can bet that I'm riding shotgun with someone who "knows better than I do."

gosox41
07-09-2005, 10:55 AM
Whoever started a recent thread about post-game traffic control should have gotten a load of tonight's pre-game traffic control at 35th and Wentworth. It was amazing.

When I bought my Ozzie 13 package in November, I decided to also buy parking passes so I wouldn't have to carry around an extra 17 bucks each game. Last year the plans came with red passes. This year they came with green passes.

Now if you actually follow the signs on the driving southbound on the Ryan, the directions for green passes is to exit on 35th St., and I've been doing so for most games. They keep you on the left of the cones, and when it's more crowded, they have the cars coming off at 35th form two lines. The right lane on the other side of the cones is a single lane accommodating right turns and other cars crossing 35th to go to the lots on 37th.

So tonight I followed my usual practice. Traffic security people then signaled to form two lanes before 35th St., so I headed for the left lane. Suddenly when I could finally se what was going on once you get to 35th, I saw them directing both lanes to make left turns onto 35th, which was backed up at the light across the Ryan at LaSalle. As a result, the turning cars were blocking traffic in both directions on 35th?

So what was happening on Wentworth between 35th and 37th? Nothing! There was no traffic. A trickle of cars was actually traveling to 37th. I saw maybe 5-10 cars in the two blocks south of 35th. Whether you had a green parking pass or not made no difference to these geniuses. You either had to go to Lasalle and double back to 31st to get where you wanted to go, or you could head down State St. to Pershing and try to double back.

Considering that it had already taken me 90 minutes to drive the 39 miles from my driveway to the park and that it was already past six o'clock, rather than trying to double back to 37th someplace west of the tracks, I made the assumption that perhaps the reason they were doing this was because F lot (south of 37th) was already filled up, and that was the reason for the rerouting of traffic. So I decided to park in the overflow lot (betweeb 38th and Pershing Rd.) which was already about a third full.

So did I find a full F lot when I crossed 38th St.? Hell, no! F lot was less than half full. However, there was almost no traffic on 37th and few cars trying to get in.

Morons!

Those traffic people are going to get someone killed.

Bob

Mohoney
07-09-2005, 09:14 PM
PH13 is right. Forget going anywhere near 35th St.

If you're taking the Northbound Stevenson and have a green pass, get off at the Damen/Ashland ramp, get on 35th, take 35th to Halsted, take Halsted to 37th, and take 37th right into the lot.

Don't give the brain surgeons directing traffic on 35th any reason to re-route you. Get off 35th at Halsted.

Edit: Viva mentioned this in an earlier post, and he's right that you need to get there relatively early for this to work.

SoxFanTillDeath
07-11-2005, 11:49 AM
I come in from palatine every time and usually hit decent traffic southbound on 90, but it's never that bad. I also always show up at least an hour before the game. Is it the much worse coming from the South or have I just gotten lucky? :?:

TornLabrum
07-11-2005, 12:04 PM
I come in from palatine every time and usually hit decent traffic southbound on 90, but it's never that bad. I also always show up at least an hour before the game. Is it the much worse coming from the South or have I just gotten lucky? :?:

I-55 is pretty bad on Fridays, both inbound and outbound. I hit traffic when I got on in Joliet at U.S. 30. There were a couple of spots where it loosened up, but it was bad past Cicero Ave. I got a late start, and that was the problem. I usually try to get to the ball park around the time the lots open.

SoxFanTillDeath
07-11-2005, 02:02 PM
I-55 is pretty bad on Fridays, both inbound and outbound. I hit traffic when I got on in Joliet at U.S. 30. There were a couple of spots where it loosened up, but it was bad past Cicero Ave. I got a late start, and that was the problem. I usually try to get to the ball park around the time the lots open.

OK, now I see your problem. I never hit I-55 which makes my drive nice. I hit traffic at the toll which slows me about 10-15 minutes (especially with the cumberland exit there), but after that it's no problem. I can usually get to the park from my house in Palatine in about an hour.

SoxFanTillDeath
07-11-2005, 02:03 PM
OK, now I see your problem. I never hit I-55 which makes my drive nice. I hit traffic at the toll which slows me about 10-15 minutes (especially with the cumberland exit there), but after that it's no problem. I can usually get to the park from my house in Palatine in about an hour.

I'm also told that I drive like a maniac however, so that may help my drive time just a little bit...

ewokpelts
07-12-2005, 12:12 PM
Yeah...I bet. too bad the el doesn't run a little farther up north. :wink:how about the metra station at kenosha and take it down to northwestern station? only two blocks from the green line....
Gene

ewokpelts
07-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Since I live on the southwest side, i take the streets......39th east to the park is the fastest way to go, even by bus(35th bus crawls esp when local residents keep getting on/off)

Gene

Frater Perdurabo
07-12-2005, 12:50 PM
Unfortunately neither the blue nor the red (nor any other color) lines run to Joliet.

Bet you can't wait for the rumoured Metra Rock Island stop at 35th, eh?

ChiFabulous1
07-12-2005, 12:53 PM
Pershing is always a solid way to go even for sell outs...exit at Pershing....go west...turn right at the tracks....and you'll end up in the closest lot available...and easy access to the Bullpen Sports Bar!

I always take Pershing but on the Sat. July 9th game vs. the A's It took 35 min. from the Pershing ramp to lot F which was full. It looked like they were directing cars back on to Persihing in an infinite loop. I said enough of this and drove west a block then north to lot C in 5 mins. I missed the first 3 and 1/2 innings.

maurice
07-12-2005, 01:01 PM
how about the metra station at kenosha and take it down to northwestern station?

Or the Hiawatha from Milwaukee.

TornLabrum
07-12-2005, 01:30 PM
Bet you can't wait for the rumoured Metra Rock Island stop at 35th, eh?

The problem is in catching Metra home then. They don't run too many trains about the time games are getting out. My son found that out when he was doing shift work downtown.