PDA

View Full Version : Willie wants a starting job

iamkoza
07-09-2005, 12:47 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050708&content_id=1121239&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

ChiSoxRowand
07-09-2005, 12:52 AM
We don't need a .220 hitter in our lineup. Maybe Willie will be able to catch on with another team and play every day.

JB98
07-09-2005, 12:56 AM
I have no problem with Willie wanting to play. The fact is, right now he's not good enough to play for the Sox.

I don't know what the hell we are going to do when Gload comes back. I would rather keep Perez, but if we cut Harris, we have no infield depth except for Ozuna.

Navaro's Talent
07-09-2005, 12:59 AM
Kenny Williams would be smart to trade Willie Harris right now. Harris has enough potential that Williams might be able to get someone good. If our GM is looking for a starting pitcher, Harris could possibly be a big part of any deal. I wouldn't be surprised if Harris was the starting second baseman for a team like the Giants very soon.

SomebodyToldMe
07-09-2005, 01:04 AM
Dear Willie,

You're getting paid to ride the bench on a first place team which just so happens to have the best record in baseball. I wouldn't mind taking your position.

From,
Rich.

TornLabrum
07-09-2005, 01:07 AM
I may be odd, but personally I think every position player on the team should want to start. Not that I'd let them if I were managing them, but it proves that they aren't complacent.

bennyw41
07-09-2005, 01:15 AM
I agree. Who wants a team of players who are aiming to sit? This thread is trying to start an argument that isn't there. Willie is not a starter, but of course he wants to start.

Banix12
07-09-2005, 01:20 AM
Dear Willie Harris,

I completely agree with you. Go get that starting job. Complain and complain until they finally buckle down and give you the starting spot you rightfully deserve.

See you in Kansas City,
Jay Payton

If Willie wants a starting job so bad I'm absolutely positive Kenny will find a way to for him to play everyday. It might be in Charlotte but that's just nit picking.

Chisox003
07-09-2005, 01:23 AM
Theres a big difference between Willie wanting to start (good thing), and Willie deserving to start (disaster)

Willie....Harris......Starting?!?! :roflmao: :roflmao:

AMestan
07-09-2005, 01:52 AM
After tonight, Willie bats 9th when where up by 5 runs. Ozzie learned a valuable lesson, Willie might be the worse #2 hitter in the A. L.

guillen4life13
07-09-2005, 01:58 AM
I agree. Who wants a team of players who are aiming to sit? This thread is trying to start an argument that isn't there. Willie is not a starter, but of course he wants to start.

Thank you for saying this.

I agree.

SOX LA Mikey
07-09-2005, 02:05 AM
Kenny Williams would be smart to trade Willie Harris right now. Harris has enough potential that Williams might be able to get someone good. If our GM is looking for a starting pitcher, Harris could possibly be a big part of any deal. I wouldn't be surprised if Harris was the starting second baseman for a team like the Giants very soon.

Jeeez the Gigantes already have Ray Durham, are you sure they want his clone too?

Ron Karkovice
07-09-2005, 02:10 AM
maybeeee if Willy would have moved Pods over to 3rd base with no outs one out of the 15 chances he had tonite, i'd agree with Willy's "wants":angry:

Mr. White Sox
07-09-2005, 02:12 AM
Willie will be traded in the off-season, plain and simple. For now, he's a fine role player/pinch runner, and obviously is not a quality 2 hitter. Stick him in the #9 spot or the #1 when Iguchi/Iguchi and Pods need some rest...but that's about where he belongs right now. Let him get better next year...on another team.

Palehose13
07-09-2005, 02:13 AM
I think he should start...

in Charlotte. :redneck

Chicago83
07-09-2005, 02:17 AM

I have always been a fan of Willie, but he has no place on this team other than the bench. It would not be a bad idea to make him a part of any deal we make. He deserves a shot somewhere else.

Mr. White Sox
07-09-2005, 02:19 AM
I have always been a fan of Willie, but he has no place on this team other than the bench. It would not be a bad idea to make him a part of any deal we make. He deserves a shot somewhere else.

would he really want a shot somewhere else at the moment?

Starting for the Royals/Rockies/etc. < Benching for the MLB best White Sox

that's why he'll wait until the end of the year to ask to be traded, and KW will oblige.

Banix12
07-09-2005, 02:25 AM

It takes two teams to trade and there are not many teams looking for a Willie Harris type right now.

He's gonna be on the bench on any team until he shows he can excell in that role first. Look to a guy like Placido Palanco, years as a part timer, learned to excell in that role and now he found a starting gig in Detroit.

iamkoza
07-09-2005, 02:43 AM
maybeeee if Willy would have moved Pods over to 3rd base with no outs one out of the 15 chances he had tonite, i'd agree with Willy's "wants":angry:

the strikeout call (6-8 inches outside) the second chance he had to move the runners was crap.

It would be nice to see aaron hitting #2 if iguchi is resting

soxfanreggie
07-09-2005, 03:13 AM
People will look at his game tonight (0-4, 2k's, 5 LOB) in two ways...one, he will not get enough playing time so he cann't improve and two, he will be better off coming off the bench and must make the best of the opportunities no matter how few of them. That's common sense. Should be interesting to which way is better off.

IowaSox1971
07-09-2005, 03:27 AM
Harris basically lost the game tonight. Each time he came up with a guy in scoring position, and each time he failed to even advance the runner. That's horrible. That's the worst type of hitless game a player can have. Also, a second baseman with good range might have grabbed some of those hits that went by him tonight. Harris has value to this team as a pinch-runner, and that's about it.

Mark'sBrokenFoot
07-09-2005, 06:04 AM
Willie is going to be a very solid leadoff man very soon. It's a shame he's only had 1 full season in his entire career to prove himself. He did post a .343 obp that year, which isn't too shabby for his first shot. I just hope we can get something of value for him in a trade because he's screwed behind Iguchi for the next 3 years.

RedPinStripes
07-09-2005, 06:16 AM
His average didn't bother me last year or this year. What bothers me about Harris is he still can't bunt, move runners over or steal a base and he's the fastest guy on the team. I'm positive I wasn't the only one to see this last year. Could be why they got Iguchi.

A_ROW33
07-09-2005, 09:00 AM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:JaffhDSaP_AJ:www.douglorenz.com/images/uploads/governator.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.douglorenz.com/images/uploads/governator.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.douglorenz.com/index.php/Perspectives/2005/01/&h=408&w=247&sz=36&tbnid=JaffhDSaP_AJ:&tbnh=121&tbnw=73&hl=en&start=9&prev=/images%3Fq%3Darnold%2Bschwarzenegger%26svnum%3D10% 26hl%3Den%26lr%3D) Stop Whining!!:angry: It's good that he wants to start but it would be better if Willie would internalize that desire and use it to become a better player.

With the Mariners getting rid of Brett Boone, it would be best to send Willie over there, maybe we could get Aaron Sele out of them.

RKMeibalane
07-09-2005, 09:10 AM
His average didn't bother me last year or this year. What bothers me about Harris is he still can't bunt, move runners over or steal a base and he's the fastest guy on the team. I'm positive I wasn't the only one to see this last year. Could be why they got Iguchi.

I'm sure that was a big part of it. It was reported that Ozzie had a sit-down meeting with Harris during the winter, and was extremely blunt with him about what happened in 2004. He said, "Willie, we didn't struggle because Frank and Maggs went down. We struggled because of you. We didn't have to trade for Robbie and Carl because of injuries. It was because of you."

Viva Medias B's
07-09-2005, 09:10 AM
Willie must be smoking dope if he thinks he should get a starting job. After last night, I hope the Sox just outright release his silly arse.

Hitmen77
07-09-2005, 09:14 AM

Harris basically lost the game tonight. Each time he came up with a guy in scoring position, and each time he failed to even advance the runner. That's horrible. That's the worst type of hitless game a player can have. Also, a second baseman with good range might have grabbed some of those hits that went by him tonight. Harris has value to this team as a pinch-runner, and that's about it.

I completely agree. I can't imagine what the Sox would be like this year if we never signed Iguchi and had Harris playing every day..... Oh wait, actually I can imagine - they'd be just like the Sox of the past few years who blew a gazillion scoring opportunities because of their failure to move runners over.

jhill36
07-09-2005, 09:21 AM

Good idea. If we keep Willie on the roster long enough (while Gload is down) then he could be part of any package to get someone like Joe Randa (last 7 games: .360, 9-25, 3R, 3 RBI) or (God forbid) Jason Schmidt. If I was a buying GM with a struggling team, any piece of this year's White Sox would look good to me, and Willie Harris would be a nice addition.

TomBradley72
07-09-2005, 09:56 AM
I think in alot of ways...last night was the final "run off" between Timo and Willie to see who stays once Ross is called up...I think both players knew it..the contrast in how they responded was startling.

Timo: 3 hits, throwing his body around in the field and on the bases.
Willie: 2 of the worst "small ball" AB's of the entire season....it was obvious he was going for the "big splash" instead of laying down a solid bunt in each AB.

As much as I like Willie's speed off the bench and having the extra infielder....Timo is much more a "win or die trying" player. I say let Pablo Ozuna be your back up IF for the balance of the season...it's time for Willie to go.

SOXSINCE'70
07-09-2005, 09:59 AM
Dear Willie,

So you want a starting job?? OK.Start by making contact with the
baseball and moving runners up 90 feet with less than 2 outs.:roflmao: :roflmao:

Sincerely,

KW

Jjav829
07-09-2005, 10:04 AM
Willie must be smoking dope if he thinks he should get a starting job. After last night, I hope the Sox just outright release his silly arse.

Yeah, I always like when players have no desire to start or feel like they're nothing more than bench players. :?:

PaleHoseGeorge
07-09-2005, 10:04 AM
I'm pretty sure Tony Graffanino has worn out his welcome in Kansas City. Maybe Willie can start there? Or what about Tampa Bay? It's not really a major league team, but Willie might be able to start. It will look good on his resume in 2007 when he is applying for that job as a greeter at Wal-mart.

:cool:

:weewillie
"Can I check your bag, please."

kevingrt
07-09-2005, 10:06 AM
I think we are arguing a non-issue here. Everyone should want to start especially if you are only 25 years old or whatever. Yeah we can make fun of Willie all we want, but I bet if you ask Widger, Ozuna, and Timo the same question and they gave their honest answers, they'd say I want to start.

As many of you have said there is a big difference between wanting and deserving. Everyone should want to start only nine players should deserve to start.

jhill36
07-09-2005, 10:26 AM
It's funny how the conventional wisdom 48 hours ago was that Timo would get sent down. Oh how the tables turn, baby!

buehrle4cy05
07-09-2005, 10:29 AM
If Harris wants to start, that's great. It shows how much he wants to play. If he complains about it, trade him. I agree that all players should want to play, but shouldn't complain about it.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-09-2005, 10:35 AM
If Harris wants to start, that's great. It shows how much he wants to play. If he complains about it, trade him. I agree that all players should want to play, but shouldn't complain about it.

Actually I'm surprised Willie is still here. I wrongly predicted the Sox would trade or cut Willie before Memorial Day. 25th men come a dime a dozen and I still don't understand what value Willie has over other 25th man needs we could get from better ballplayers.

So kudos to Willie for hanging on. My advice to him is don't complain too much about not starting for the Sox because KW isn't the sort of GM to keep mouthy malcontents around. Furthermore Chris Singleton is now out of baseball, so KW can give the boot to Willie and never worry about being second-guessed about the trade with Baltimore.

:cool:

:weewillie
<gulp>

Jjav829
07-09-2005, 10:51 AM
It's funny how the conventional wisdom 48 hours ago was that Timo would get sent down. Oh how the tables turn, baby!

Welcome to WSI where our saying is, "Our opinions on players change faster than the Chicago weather." :wink:

jerry
07-09-2005, 10:52 AM
Willie Harris is a lucky man and should keep his mouth shut. The fact is he is a loser who never will make it with any team. Iguchi should not sit as much as he does. When he is out of the lineup it is very noticeable drop.

By the way, Frank should not be sitting any night. The team needs him in the lineup every night.

alohafri
07-09-2005, 10:53 AM
We don't need a .220 hitter in our lineup. Maybe Willie will be able to catch on with another team and play every day.

Let this mope go to the Cubs.

fquaye149
07-09-2005, 10:53 AM
I'm glad he wants to contribute as much as he can, but this is a bull**** comment. You're being paid to do what the manager tells you do, not to lobby for a trade to the media. If you become a free agent, Willie, then it's appropriate for you to publicly state you want another job. I hope you get your wish though - because if you're going to say **** like this, I hope you're the hell out of here soon.

Jjav829
07-09-2005, 10:56 AM
Willie Harris is a lucky man and should keep his mouth shut. The fact is he is a loser who never will make it with any team. Iguchi should not sit as much as he does. When he is out of the lineup it is very noticeable drop.

By the way, Frank should not be sitting any night. The team needs him in the lineup every night.

First, Iguchi needs to sit more than others. He's making an adjustment to a schedule that is a month longer than the one he played in Japan. Do you want him helping us win one game here or there in July or fresh for the playoffs in October? I want the latter. That means Ozzie needs to sit Iguchi more so that he is still effective come the playoffs.

Second, tell that to Frank who claims that his ankle bothers him constantly. And I will ask the same question. Do you want Frank helping us win a possibly meaningless game here or there, or do you want him healthy for the playoffs?

Jjav829
07-09-2005, 11:04 AM
I'm glad he wants to contribute as much as he can, but this is a bull**** comment. You're being paid to do what the manager tells you do, not to lobby for a trade to the media. If you become a free agent, Willie, then it's appropriate for you to publicly state you want another job. I hope you get your wish though - because if you're going to say **** like this, I hope you're the hell out of here soon.

Oh man, here we go again. At least this time it isn't Konerko so I don't get labeled a "FOGIPK" or "aPaulogist." :smile:

What did he say wrong? Here are his comments:

"I wouldn't say it's disappointing for me because he developed," Harris said. "He had his chance to play every day and he's making the most of it. When I get that opportunity, I'll do the same thing. There's no doubt about that."

"He's always been a good ballplayer, but his power at that position has been unbelievable," said Harris of Roberts, who played shortstop and led off, while Harris was at second and hitting second in the Orioles' system. "In order to know what you got, you have to run a guy out there every day."

"If he goes 0-for-4 one day or falls into a little bit of a slump, you have to continue to run him out there. That way you know what you have. If he doesn't fit in, you know.
"I had my chances last year, and when I struggled, I didn't play," Harris added. "I'm not complaining, but I can't say I've had the full opportunity to get out there and play the game the way I know how to play it."

All Willie is saying is that he needs an opportunity to play everyday to show what he is capable of doing. I see nothing wrong with that. He isn't demanding a trade. In fact, he never mentioned anything about playing for another team. I see nothing wrong with a guy being confident that if he plays everyday, he can be a contributor. That's all he said. Don't read so much into comments and just take them for what they are worth. In this case, it's simply a young player who feels that he needs to be given more playing time to show what he can do. This shouldn't be a big deal.

FielderJones
07-09-2005, 11:15 AM

When Frank's ankle is 100%, I'll agree with you. That should be some time next year. This year, we need him in October, not every day in July.

fquaye149
07-09-2005, 12:08 PM
Oh man, here we go again. At least this time it isn't Konerko so I don't get labeled a "FOGIPK" or "aPaulogist." :smile:

What did he say wrong? Here are his comments:

All Willie is saying is that he needs an opportunity to play everyday to show what he is capable of doing. I see nothing wrong with that. He isn't demanding a trade. In fact, he never mentioned anything about playing for another team. I see nothing wrong with a guy being confident that if he plays everyday, he can be a contributor. That's all he said. Don't read so much into comments and just take them for what they are worth. In this case, it's simply a young player who feels that he needs to be given more playing time to show what he can do. This shouldn't be a big deal.

Haha...well I figured I shouldn't discriminate against stupid comments based on who said them. I take issue with the fact that he said anything about his playing time. I just don't feel it's appropriate. If you want to discuss it with the manager or GM that's fine.

I just don't understand all these players running to the press (especially when said player got to play 120 some games last year...and sorry Willie, I'm not crying about what you called in the article "playing every game for two weeks and then sitting five..." that's not how the season started). He played his way out of a starting spot...and now it sounds like he blames that on his playing time. I think he could be mildly successful eventually. I just wish he would keep it to himself. Right now his job is to help the team.

this is the quote i took issue with, by the way:

. But Harris didn't count last year as an unabated opportunity, not when he would play every day for one or two weeks and then sit for five days. Harris wants an unqualified starting job, just as Roberts had in 2004, when he hit .270 with 50 doubles over 641 at-bats

also this is noteworthy:

"I'm not complaining, but I can't say I've had the full opportunity to get out there and play the game the way I know how to play it

I mean, I guess he's not really complaining...but to me it sort of sounds like he is

nedlug
07-09-2005, 12:09 PM
Dear Willie Harris,

I completely agree with you. Go get that starting job. Complain and complain until they finally buckle down and give you the starting spot you rightfully deserve.

See you in Kansas City,
Jay Payton

If Willie wants a starting job so bad I'm absolutely positive Kenny will find a way to for him to play everyday. It might be in Charlotte but that's just nit picking.
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:pNUIDSZuL1AJ:http://www.thediamondangle.com/archive/aug02/cubs/corey4.jpg (http://www.thediamondangle.com/archive/aug02/cubs/corey4.jpg)
"Hey, it worked for me getting into the leadoff spot! I'm living it up in Iowa!"

nedlug
07-09-2005, 12:15 PM
Willie Harris is a lucky man and should keep his mouth shut. The fact is he is a loser who never will make it with any team.

Great post. Really advanced the topic.

Willie Harris would be a whole lot better if he played every day, plain and simple. He wouldn't be as good as Iguchi is, and that's why Gooch is starting. Same goes for pretty much every bench player in the league, including Timo.

It seems like Widger's excelling in his role, so he might be an exception - although he wasn't really that bad in Montreal.

Lip Man 1
07-09-2005, 12:29 PM
After the Sox send him back to Charlotte he'll get his chance to 'play every day.' perhaps then another club might get interested in him before the trade deadline.

Lip

starboy0
07-09-2005, 12:47 PM
I think in alot of ways...last night was the final "run off" between Timo and Willie to see who stays once Ross is called up...I think both players knew it..the contrast in how they responded was startling.

I agree with your observation. When I was looking at the lineups on the centerfield board I noticed Willie and Timo were BOTH in the game. I turned to my friend and said it seems like Ozzie is trying to figure out who goes when Ross comes back.

Willie couldn't advance anybody while Timo stepped up. Just one game of course but it seems over the last two years Timo has indeed come through more than Willie off the bench.

That being said I still think Willie could be good playing every day but no way can you play him over Iguchi.