PDA

View Full Version : Will Konerko be back next season?

chisoxfanatic
07-08-2005, 10:40 PM
With Konerko's contract up after the year, it'll soon be KW's decision on whether or not he stays here. Konerko's slumping right now, but he's been a key role on this team for years now and is a two-time all-star presently.

Do you think KW will re-up with Konerko or let him walk?

NSSoxFan
07-08-2005, 10:42 PM
Not this Konerko.

The Konerko of '04 and second half '03, yes.

White Sox Josh
07-08-2005, 10:42 PM
With Konerko's contract up after the year, it'll soon be KW's decision on whether or not he stays here. Konerko's slumping right now, but he's been a key role on this team for years now and is a two-time all-star presently.

Do you think KW will re-up with Konerko or let him walk?no. he will re-sign frank. Save the money for a nice new extension for Buehrle.
:burly
Show me the Money.

LuvSox
07-08-2005, 10:44 PM
Good riddance

Frater Perdurabo
07-08-2005, 10:49 PM
I'm thinking shorter-term than this offseason. Trade him now when he still has some value. He's an All-Star after all!

There are a number of National League teams who are looking to add power for the Wild Card race. Houston would be a great fit. Short left-field fence, and Berkman could move to left field. PK could feast on inferior National League pitching. The Sox could get prospects in return to help build a nice package for a starting pitcher (Redman from the Pirates? Schmidt? Burnett?).

I mean this with the utmost sincerity - I think the Sox would be better off for the stretch run with Gload as the starting first baseman, or platooning with Dye.

It's July 8 and "Old Faithful" Konerko is batting 1 point lower than Joe Crede. Joe Crede for crying out loud! That's simply inexcusable for a first baseman making $8.5 million this season.

Deadguy
07-08-2005, 11:19 PM
I don't know what KW will do, but I know what he should do.

Konerko is going to demand a Richie Sexson type of contract. Just compare their numbers this season. His agent can just point to that in order to try and justify that type of contract for K-dawg.

That money can certainly be better spent. The Sox have many options they can explore in order to replace Konerko, and it can give greater felexibility in terms of payroll.

batmanZoSo
07-08-2005, 11:27 PM
I'd rather get someone more consistent. We could do worse, we could do better. I think we could get more out of spending 8 million. You have to wait to see what happens this year before we can really contemplate what to do with roster moves for next.

Madvora
07-08-2005, 11:30 PM
I don't think hitting in the .240's makes you an "all-star" but obviously it does.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of him at all. He has become so one dimensional as a hitter. I hate to see that. I rememeber when he was a good average guy in addition to his home runs. I don't know what happened.
I don't really think he will be traded this year at all. I think that is one of the big "chemistry" things. Next year, I would assume He Gawn.

BridgePortNative
07-08-2005, 11:39 PM
I think Gload should take full term. He is an excellent defensive upgrade and is more consistent with the bat. Just look how he performed last year in September with the regular AB's. remember, Konerko was up in the air last offseason for the trading blocks...... I think this might be on Kenny's mind. Get some prospects or a pitcher

PicktoCLick72
07-09-2005, 12:57 AM
I think it all matters on what kind of contract Konerko is willing to accept. If he is ready to reup for less money KW might try to resign both him and Frank. JR never said he would not raise payroll after this year so that is a possibility. Konerko is known to have huge halves both good and bad. We will see if this trend continues in the 2cd half.

Oh and the next person to say Gload is more consistent with the bat. He has never been a full time starter in the major leagues. Just becasue he was able to come off the bench and spell Konerko does not mean he can do that on an everyday basis. Time will tell if Gload can perform everyday, just don't say he is a more consistent hitter when he has never had the playing time to back it up.

doublem23
07-09-2005, 12:59 AM
That's gonna depend on Konerko, I think. I assume KW will offer him a deal, but I'm sure some idiot will throw tons of money at Paul, expecting him to produce .280/50/150 seasons for him.

FarWestChicago
07-09-2005, 01:18 AM
I'm sure some idiot will throw tons of money at Paul, expecting him to produce .280/50/150 seasons for him.There are plenty of people on these forums who expect that, too. :redneck

Palehose13
07-09-2005, 01:23 AM
Oh and the next person to say Gload is more consistent with the bat. He has never been a full time starter in the major leagues. Just becasue he was able to come off the bench and spell Konerko does not mean he can do that on an everyday basis. Time will tell if Gload can perform everyday, just don't say he is a more consistent hitter when he has never had the playing time to back it up.

See: Rowand, Aaron. 2001-2003. :wink:

Jjav829
07-09-2005, 10:45 AM
If I had to guess, I'd say no. But it's impossible to say at this point. Konerko is going to be the top 1B available in free agency. And there's a big dropoff between Konerko and the next best 1B. That means that all the teams look at 1B in free agency (possibly including big market teams like the Yankees, Mets, Orioles, and Dodgers) are going to be pursuing Konerko. That's probably going to drive Konerko's price up too high for the Sox to keep him which is fine by me.

The trade market could be loaded with 1B. The 1B that could be available in trade opportunities include: Jim Thome (I think the Phillies could try to move him to make room for....), Ryan Howard, Aubrey Huff (if he isn't traded before July 31), Lyle Overbay, Sean Casey, Adam Dunn, Mike Sweeney, and Darin Erstad. There are others that could be made available. The Padres could try to trade Klesko or Nevin. Some prospects who haven't lived up to their hype such as Carlos Pena, Adrian Gonzalez, Hee Seop Choi, and Eric Hinske could be available. We'd have to trade some good prospects to land some of these guys, though the good thing is that with so many 1B possibly available, it will be a sellers market at 1B, driving down the price.

My choice, as I've stated numerous times, would be Aubrey Huff. I think if you get Huff out of Tampa he becomes a good hitter again. I'd obviously like Overbay as well. The sleeper here would be Ryan Howard. The Phillies will have to move either Thome or Howard. My guess is that they'd rather trade the injury-prone Thome and keep the younger Howard. The problem is that Thome's contract is probably unmovable at this point, meaning they'll have to trade Howard. Obviously he isn't proven like Overbay or Huff, but Howard might be better and cheaper than both of them.

Frater Perdurabo
07-09-2005, 10:53 AM
I'll try to avoid ripping on Paulie in this post and just talk about what I'd like to see the Sox do at 1B next year after they win the 2005 World Series. (No teal, no deeppink).

I think a platoon of Dye and Gload could work for the Sox. This would open up a position for Brian Anderson in the outfield. If in the unlikely event Anderson were to fail, then the Sox would have the flexibility to add a bat to either play first base or the outfield, because Dye could move.

I think a platoon of Dye and Gload would combine for better 162-game numbers than would a full season of Konerko, based on the historical record.

gosox41
07-09-2005, 10:54 AM

Do you think KW will re-up with Konerko or let him walk?

I'm more on the side of let him walk unless he wants to take a pay cut.

Bob

mdep524
07-09-2005, 10:57 AM
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Jermaine Dye playing 1B next year for a season while we decide who will be the 1B of the future- Rogo, Sweeney, Fields, a FA or trade acquisition.

However, in terms of this thread, I have to say "who cares" right now- the team has the best record in baseball and has a good chance at the World Series, that is the number one priority.

I would not be opposed to trading Konerko in the coming weeks however, if there was a chance to cash in on his "illusion" of performance and improve the team.

RallyBowl
07-09-2005, 11:07 AM
:walnuts "Soxtalk is the best fan forum on the web."

FielderJones
07-09-2005, 11:17 AM
:walnuts "Soxtalk is the best fan forum on the web."

:roflmao: (misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=5#):rolling: (misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=5#)

FarWestChicago
07-09-2005, 11:29 AM
Konerko is going to be the top 1B available in free agency.This statement is probably true. And that is mind boggling. What happened to the first base position? A couple years ago there would be two or three in each league having monster seasons left off the all star team because there were three having bigger years. Is this because of 'roid testing? It's just crazy. :?:

MIgrenade
07-09-2005, 11:35 AM
I'm thinking shorter-term than this offseason. Trade him now when he still has some value. He's an All-Star after all!

There are a number of National League teams who are looking to add power for the Wild Card race. Houston would be a great fit. Short left-field fence, and Berkman could move to left field. PK could feast on inferior National League pitching. The Sox could get prospects in return to help build a nice package for a starting pitcher (Redman from the Pirates? Schmidt? Burnett?).

I mean this with the utmost sincerity - I think the Sox would be better off for the stretch run with Gload as the starting first baseman, or platooning with Dye.

It's July 8 and "Old Faithful" Konerko is batting 1 point lower than Joe Crede. Joe Crede for crying out loud! That's simply inexcusable for a first baseman making $8.5 million this season.

I'm really worried about this season too. I wasn't worried before but when Ozzie benchs 3 key hitters the problems for Konerko are more evident. He can't drive in runners like he should and I see this happening in the playoffs. Lots of pop outs and double plays. I don't care about his power, I want a guy who can hit some doubles and drive in runs.

TheOldRoman
07-09-2005, 11:47 AM
I am about 95% sure KW will trade for Lyle Overbay. I have no evidence for that, its just a hunch.
Either way, I am sure that this year is the last is the last we will see of Konerko in a Sox uniform. Let him get his world series ring. Let the little girls cheer loudly for him at Grant Park. Then let him take his monster salary, horrible average, and lack of range somewhere else. Some GM will be dumb enough to think he can build a team around Konerko. Best of luck to him.
Part of me thinks that KW and Ozzie want to trade Konerko now, but are afraid to mess things up. KW tried to trade Paul in the offseason, but it didn't work out. Konerko is everything this team used to be, and everything Ozzie hates. He has a low average, is the slowest man in baseball, is mediocre at best defensively, and swings for the fences all the time. It would be a very ballsy move to trade Konerko in mid season, but you know KW is considering it.

mdep524
07-09-2005, 11:51 AM
I'm really worried about this season too. I wasn't worried before but when Ozzie benchs 3 key hitters the problems for Konerko are more evident. He can't drive in runners like he should and I see this happening in the playoffs. Lots of pop outs and double plays. I don't care about his power, I want a guy who can hit some doubles and drive in runs. Given all this, the fact that Konerko still bats clean up come hell or high water is incredibly foolish.

nedlug
07-09-2005, 11:55 AM
It depends on the money he wants. That's it, and that's all. Being in this year's ASG doesn't help the 'low-price' thought, but, hey, who knows?

mdep524
07-09-2005, 12:01 PM
I am about 95% sure KW will trade for Lyle Overbay. I have no evidence for that, its just a hunch.
Either way, I am sure that this year is the last is the last we will see of Konerko in a Sox uniform. Let him get his world series ring. Let the little girls cheer loudly for him at Grant Park. Then let him take his monster salary, horrible average, and lack of range somewhere else. Some GM will be dumb enough to think he can build a team around Konerko. Best of luck to him.
Part of me thinks that KW and Ozzie want to trade Konerko now, but are afraid to mess things up. KW tried to trade Paul in the offseason, but it didn't work out. Konerko is everything this team used to be, and everything Ozzie hates. He has a low average, is the slowest man in baseball, is mediocre at best defensively, and swings for the fences all the time. It would be a very ballsy move to trade Konerko in mid season, but you know KW is considering it. TOR, I like where you're going with everything in this post. :cheers:

chisoxfanatic
07-09-2005, 12:39 PM
I think a platoon of Dye and Gload could work for the Sox. This would open up a position for Brian Anderson in the outfield. If in the unlikely event Anderson were to fail, then the Sox would have the flexibility to add a bat to either play first base or the outfield, because Dye could move.

Wouldn't you rather have Carl Everett as your regular out there in that case, since we know Frank will be plugged in the DH spot with regularity?

Chicago83
07-09-2005, 12:44 PM
Depends on the market. If someone else wants Paulie and we have to bid against them, then I say let him go. You have to realize that Paulie is a mediocre hitter who is helped by a very HR friendly park. If we can get Paulie for a reasonable price then sign him. He will hit his 30+ HR. But if we have to pay him then let him go, 1B is an easy position to fill.

Jjav829
07-09-2005, 02:48 PM
This statement is probably true. And that is mind boggling. What happened to the first base position? A couple years ago there would be two or three in each league having monster seasons left off the all star team because there were three having bigger years. Is this because of 'roid testing? It's just crazy. :?:

I think it's just a down year for 1B who are free agents. I still think there's a lot of good 1B talent. They just all happen to be under contract after this year. Plus some of them are moving around. You have guys like Aubrey Huff and Adam Dunn who would certainly strengthen the 1B position from an offensive standpoint, but they're playing in the OF. Either of them could play 1B if/when traded.

The 2005 free agent class overall looks pretty weak, but Konerko looks like Mark Teixeira next to the other 1B available. After Konerko, the best options are Kevin Millar and Scott Hatteberg. Ehh....:o:

White Sox Josh
07-09-2005, 02:55 PM
Is Rogowoski ready after this year. Also i could see a scenario in which Frank plays more 1B next year(say 50-60 games) and they have a platoon sort of.

bobelou72
07-09-2005, 03:01 PM
Boy does nobody want to stick up for Paulie? He does go into slumps but so does everybody else. And when he is hot there is nobody I would rather have in a Sox Jersey Now I'm not saying give 20 million a year but if he gives us a home town discount I say we jump on it. by the end of the year he's going to have 45 home runs and about 120rbi :cool:

NonetheLoaiza
07-09-2005, 03:08 PM
I don't get all the Dye at first base love. I am all for letting Paulie walk next year, but to suggest Dye can platoon at first next year based on ONE game is pretty out there. Not to mention, I think Dye is a better asset with his arm in RF. 1B next year is going to be interesting, and I like the idea of giving Gload a shot, but also to have a backup plan. Sure, Dye looked pretty good in the game he started at first, but c'mon people...it was ONE game.

Jjav829
07-09-2005, 03:09 PM
Boy does nobody want to stick up for Paulie? He does go into slumps but so does everybody else. And when he is hot there is nobody I would rather have in a Sox Jersey Now I'm not saying give 20 million a year but if he gives us a home town discount I say we jump on it. by the end of the year he's going to have 45 home runs and about 120rbi :cool:

You're right...kinda. When he's hot, I love seeing him at the plate. The problem is that he's not hot very often. And for all the time he spends "hot," he spends an equal amount of time "cold." Yeah, there are plenty of players like this, but Konerko's streaks seem to stand out a bit more. I guess it's because we follow him more. If he's willing to take a nice sized hometown discount, I'd consider bringing him back. But if he's looking for a deal similar to Richie Sexson, then it's probably time to move on.

Daver
07-09-2005, 03:10 PM
If he is going to take a paycut, they better get a contract done before the FA filing date, otherwise they will have to offer him arbitration.

Jjav829
07-09-2005, 03:19 PM
I don't get all the Dye at first base love. I am all for letting Paulie walk next year, but to suggest Dye can platoon at first next year based on ONE game is pretty out there. Not to mention, I think Dye is a better asset with his arm in RF. 1B next year is going to be interesting, and I like the idea of giving Gload a shot, but also to have a backup plan. Sure, Dye looked pretty good in the game he started at first, but c'mon people...it was ONE game.

This is what we went through in the Dye at 1B thread. Based on one game, yeah, it's a bit ridiculous. But, if he can make the transition over the course of an entire offseason and Spring Training spent taking ground balls at 1B and playing the position in games, then it might be worth a shot. It's a bad idea for this year. It's not such a bad idea for next year. We would have our 1B position set without trading any more prospects or spending any more money. Brian Anderson can be brought up to take over in the outfield and Konerko's money can be used on free agents. Or, instead of Anderson, we could use that money to go after someone like Brian Giles who would give us a legitimate middle-of-the-order lefty.

It's really too early to know for sure how this will all play out. We still have to see who Kenny trades for (and away) before the trading deadline to know how the offseason will shake down. For now, it's still the regular season. We're better off discussing what should happen with the team for this year. Besides, you never know, Konerko could have a Beltran-like postseason and a ton of people would be clamoring to keep him.

MRKARNO
07-09-2005, 03:24 PM
I think we could keep him if he's willing to come back for about 7-8 million dollars a year. I do not see that as a likely possiblity with him being considered one of the top bats on the market this offseason. I do not think that we need to keep him and I think that we could ably replace his production by placing Dye and/or Gload at first, or even giving some time to Rogowski. I think our roster and the upper levels of the organization is too cluttered with power position types (DH/1b/corner outfielders) to allow for him to stay, especially if Anderson is ready. Let him walk and spend the money on a 3B, most starting pitching and more relievers.

StillMissOzzie
07-09-2005, 03:26 PM
If he is going to take a paycut, they better get a contract done before the FA filing date, otherwise they will have to offer him arbitration.

Good point Daver, which raises another issue - will the Sox even offer arbitration?

SMO
:gulp:

fquaye149
07-09-2005, 03:39 PM
This statement is probably true. And that is mind boggling. What happened to the first base position? A couple years ago there would be two or three in each league having monster seasons left off the all star team because there were three having bigger years. Is this because of 'roid testing? It's just crazy. :?:

The roid testing could be one thing. Or it could be that baseball players are just starting to become athletes, and that means that if they can play another position (3rd base, outfield) they will. Just a guess, but only on a team like the Cardinals that is loaded with Outfielders, oddly, would a player who could play more than first base be moved to first base. Meanwhile there's not all that many solid players that can only play first - on any team besides the cardinals they'd probably be moved to the outfield to make room for some injury prone player, fatass, or butcher with the glove.

Weird the way things work these days. But yeah - my guess would be steroids.

fquaye149
07-09-2005, 03:43 PM
I think we could keep him if he's willing to come back for about 7-8 million dollars a year. I do not see that as a likely possiblity with him being considered one of the top bats on the market this offseason. I do not think that we need to keep him and I think that we could ably replace his production by placing Dye and/or Gload at first, or even giving some time to Rogowski. I think our roster and the upper levels of the organization is too cluttered with power position types (DH/1b/corner outfielders) to allow for him to stay, especially if Anderson is ready. Let him walk and spend the money on a 3B, most starting pitching and more relievers.

8 million would be overpaying for Paul, IMO. I'm not going to break down 1bman salaries or comparable production salaries. All I'll say is that it seems silly to me to keep both Konerko and Frank, especially with Gload on the team and Dye possibly able to play 1B next year. Since Frank will resign for around 8 million, it seems ridiculous to suggest that we should resign Paulie at all...let alone for a comparable sum to someone who has produced tremendously while healthy....heck, even in limited playing time, Frank is approaching Paul's numbers

Frater Perdurabo
07-09-2005, 04:24 PM
Player A: 82 games, 299 ABs, 49 runs, 72 hits, 11 doubles, 19 homers, 54 RBI, 44 walks, 62 Ks, .241 AVG., .345 OBP, .468 SLG., .813 OPS. Can play no other position than first base. $8,750,000 salary in 2005.

Player B: 81 games, 260 ABs, 32 runs, 63 hits, 12 doubles, 12 homers, 37 RBI, 16 walks, 40 Ks, .242 AVG., .300 OBP, .427 SLG, .727 OPS. Plays a slick third base. $400,000 salary in 2005.

Player A is Konerko. Player B is Joe Crede. Crede is the #8 hitter. His biggest asset to the Sox is his defense. He stays in the everyday lineup because of his glove. How does Konerko manage to stay in the lineup, much less bat CLEANUP? What, exactly, has he done to earn $8.75 million this year?

:kukoo:

The bottom line is that Konerko is NOT THAT GOOD. Some people point to his 2004 season, when he had 41 homers. Well, Brady Anderson had a 50 home-run season, for crying out loud. (FWIW, Brady Anderson also could steal bases and play decently in the outfield.)

Konerko has had one good full season (2004), and a few good half-seasons. He's never had an OPS over .894, and his career OPS is .824. Is that a player worthy of being a cleanup hitter making $8.75 million? More importantly, is that a wise way for the Sox to spend 8.75 million?

Link (http://www.baseball-reference.com/k/konerpa01.shtml)

Do we know what one offensive category in which Konerko routinely has been among the league leaders?

GIDPs

That's right. For each of the last six seasons, Paulie has been ninth, fifth, sixth, eighth, first and third in GIDPs.

The only other seasons in which he's been among the league leaders has been 2004 (2nd in homers, 10th in slugging percentage and 6th in RBI) and 2000 (7th in HBP.) That's it, folks.

Letting Paulie go after this season is a no-brainer.

Trading him now, while his value remains somewhat high, to a National League team desperate for some power, also is a fantastic idea.

Pasqua's Posers
07-09-2005, 04:38 PM
Letting Paulie go after this season is a no-brainer.

Trading him now, while his value remains somewhat high, to a National League team desperate for some power, also is a fantastic idea.

I guess you never took Chemistry in high school....

Frater Perdurabo
07-09-2005, 04:42 PM

So Paulie's single value to the team is his clubhouse presence?

Do we have to discuss all the inept things he's said about his teammates in the media AGAIN?

:rolleyes:

ShoelessJoeS
07-09-2005, 04:45 PM
not a bad idea, how do you think gload will do once he returns?

fquaye149
07-09-2005, 04:46 PM

If you took chemistry you would know that just because you put 25 chemicals into a beaker and it produced a chemical reaction, it does not necessarily mean that each and every one of those chemicals were vital to that reaction taking place.

PAPChiSox729
07-09-2005, 05:53 PM

That is why I am a little cautious about trading Paul Konerko now. I really don't think anyone knows how Ross will do once he comes back. He is one of my favorite players on the team (once he gets up here of course), but I still am not sure if he can be as good as he was last year. He has not proven to me that he is good enough to start. Dye has played one game at first. He didn't look too bad but I would rather have him in the outfield. If KW finds that perfect deal, I wouldn't be heartbroken to see Paul go. I am just not sold on the backup plans we have if that were to happen.

Frater Perdurabo
07-09-2005, 05:54 PM

I'm no scout (like Daver, Randar or maurice, etc.), nor do I claim to be a "baseball expert." I do know crappy production when I see it though, and Konerko has produced little more than crap this year.

I think that if Gload and Dye platooned at first, (with Gload only playing against RHP) they could combine to exceed the level of production Konerko has generated to date. Of course, when Dye played first (usually only against LHP), Everett would get starts in right field. With more ABs for Everett in the outfield, Frank would get to start more at DH. Or, the Sox could turn around and trade for another outfield bat. Or they could promote Brian Anderson.

Daver
07-09-2005, 06:01 PM
. Or they could promote Brian Anderson.

Anderson isn't ready yet, he is still learning the difference between college and pro pitching.

Casey Rogowski could probably platoon with Gload though.

If the Sox want to get anything in return for Paul, they almost have to trade him now, or gamble on the FA market and offer him arbitration, hoping he refuses it.

Rocklive99
07-09-2005, 06:31 PM
If the Sox want to get anything in return for Paul, they almost have to trade him now, or gamble on the FA market and offer him arbitration, hoping he refuses it.

Konerko and Everett for Burnett and Pierre

Frater Perdurabo
07-09-2005, 07:13 PM
Anderson isn't ready yet, he is still learning the difference between college and pro pitching.

Casey Rogowski could probably platoon with Gload though.

Daver, the fact that you are making these assessment on all three accounts (Anderson, Rogowski, trading Paulie) makes them good enough for me. Let's do it.

Daver
07-09-2005, 07:37 PM
Daver, the fact that you are making these assessment on all three accounts (Anderson, Rogowski, trading Paulie) makes them good enough for me. Let's do it.

I am not now, nor never will be, the general manager for the White Sox.

Frater Perdurabo
07-09-2005, 07:45 PM
...nor never will be...

Double negative.... Kenny, is that you? :redneck

PaleHoseGeorge
07-09-2005, 07:47 PM
I am not now, nor never will be, the general manager for the White Sox.

Sox GM? Hell, you can't even get lousy press credentials from Mr. I'm-A-Legitimate-News-Source-And-You're-Not.

:wink:

Hendu
07-09-2005, 08:13 PM
I think it's really too early to even consider this. If we go deep in the playoffs (World Series?) and Pauly plays well, there's a good chance we'll keep him. If we go out in the first round and Paul has a horrible series, he gone. There are high expectations this season re breaking our playoff futility and any players that help get this franchise back on the map will be rewarded.

Foulke You
07-09-2005, 08:49 PM
Dye has played one game at first. He didn't look too bad but I would rather have him in the outfield.
Agreed. Jermaine Dye belongs in RF. End of story. He has been very solid out there, he gets to almost everything hit in his direction by taking great routes, and he has a cannon for an arm. You'd be wasting an above average Right Fielder by playing him out of position at first.

Dye COULD be decent at first but does anyone want to do that drastic of a re-tooling in mid season assuming Konerko got traded? As others have pointed out, Dye has played ONE game there. Would you feel comfortable with Dye's 1B defense in a playoff game? I don't think I would. I also don't think I'd want to mess with what we have going on this season right now.

Also, I don't think Paulie is getting traded. Remember, there is no bigger fan of Paul Konerko than Kenny Williams and he has said as much at SoxFest and in the papers. Paulie will be in a Sox uniform for the duration of the 2005 campaign. After that is anyone's guess.

Frater Perdurabo
07-09-2005, 09:08 PM
Jermaine Dye belongs in RF. End of story. He has been very solid out there, he gets to almost everything hit in his direction by taking great routes, and he has a cannon for an arm. You'd be wasting an above average Right Fielder by playing him out of position at first.

Dye COULD be decent at first but does anyone want to do that drastic of a re-tooling in mid season assuming Konerko got traded? As others have pointed out, Dye has played ONE game there. Would you feel comfortable with Dye's 1B defense in a playoff game? I don't think I would. I also don't think I'd want to mess with what we have going on this season right now.

Make Gload the starting first baseman against RHP. Let Dye play first base against LHP. That would maximize Gload's effectiveness while keeping Dye in the outfield about 75% of the time. But at the same time, it opens up a few more OF starts for Everett, which would reduce the number of times he has to displace Frank at DH.

Also, I don't think Paulie is getting traded. Remember, there is no bigger fan of Paul Konerko than Kenny Williams and he has said as much at SoxFest and in the papers. Paulie will be in a Sox uniform for the duration of the 2005 campaign. After that is anyone's guess.

Why would Kenny say bad things about a player on the roster, especially if he's trying to trade him under the radar? Why diminish his trade value? Clearly Paulie has some value as recognized by the league at large, evidenced in his All-Star selection. As Daver said, if you want to get something in return, there will never be a better time to trade him than now.

BNLSox
07-09-2005, 09:34 PM
Wow.... The comparison between Crede's and Konerko's numbers is quite telling. Honestly I'm tired of the guy knocking his teammates with the media and being the slowest man alive. I loved having him here, but he isn't adding anything to this teams chemistry or performance.

Let's trade now!! I'm sure there are several NL teams interested... Just don't trade him within the American League Kenny!!!

MeanFish
07-09-2005, 10:00 PM

Ross Gload has never been a full-time starter in the Major Leagues because he's been playing behind hacks like Todd Helton and Paul Konerko for most of his MLB career. Now that Paulie isn't hitting so well, Gload would seem to be the superior option since he's a more consistent hitter and is good with the glove.

psyclonis
07-09-2005, 10:30 PM
What is the point in trading PK for prospects?
This team is built to make a run for the next 2-4yrs...
If you cant pickup Mark Teixeira in the off-season, then resign PK... he'll probably take 10-11 mil a year for 3 yrs...
When will you guys realize that PK is a good 1b, and everyone better than him is locked up for awhile.

FarWestChicago
07-09-2005, 10:43 PM
When will you guys realize that PK is a good 1bUmmm, I don't know. When/if he becomes a good first baseman I guess.

PBRWarrior
07-10-2005, 12:54 AM
You people calling for Dye to play first are a joke. Dye plays one game at 1b in the past ten years and everyone is saying he is serviceable at the position. I am not saying that he could not learn the position and be ready for next year. Dye wants to move there so that he can extend his career due to the fact that his range in the outfield is getting questionable. Trading PK now would really hurt postseason chances. His batting average has suffered but he and Frank are the two guys in the lineup that can go yard on a consistant basis. I do agree that he should be dropped in the lineup to 5 or 6. He will command a large contract in the offseason based upon who is available. I feel that we should let him walk after the season.

TheOldRoman
07-10-2005, 01:44 AM
Make Gload the starting first baseman against RHP. Let Dye play first base against LHP. That would maximize Gload's effectiveness while keeping Dye in the outfield about 75% of the time. But at the same time, it opens up a few more OF starts for Everett, which would reduce the number of times he has to displace Frank at DH.

Why would Kenny say bad things about a player on the roster, especially if he's trying to trade him under the radar? Why diminish his trade value? Clearly Paulie has some value as recognized by the league at large, evidenced in his All-Star selection. As Daver said, if you want to get something in return, there will never be a better time to trade him than now.

Frater, I agree with everything you are saying. The only way we get anything for him would be to move him now. That being said, it would be a huge move. It would be much riskier than Boston trading Nomar last year because Nomar has been out most of last year before the trade. I don't know if KW would do it. I think he should try talking with Milwaukee. He might be able to push Konerko and a few prospects to the Brewers for Overbay. The Brewers could either trade Konerko and let Prince Fielder play this year, or take the power upgrade he brings over Overbay. The Brewers are still looking for power. Since seemingly the entire MLB except many Sox fans are convinced Konerko is great, the Brewers fans might think getting Konerko means they are "serious about winning now". If not the Brewers, maybe Houston as you have suggested. I really like Gload, but I would be cautious about giving him the full time job in mid season after not having played almost the entire year. As for Dye, he is a good emergency backup, but we can't seriously consider platooning him until he goes through spring training at first. The Red Sox got Cabrera in the Nomar trade. He is a gold glover and a decent hitter. I don't think the Sox can trade Konerko unless they are getting a major league 1B who is good defensively.

Chisox003
07-10-2005, 01:51 AM
I like PK and all (A lot more than most people here) and Ill support him until the day he's not a part of the Sox...

But, I really do believe there are better options to spend the $$$ on....

Personally, Lyle Overbay (Sorry if its been suggested, Im not reading 5 pages) sounds like a great option...Prince Fielder is ready in Milwaukee, and they got a great young core of players going there....

Overbay will be shopped around, and comes a ton cheaper than PK, and with the $$ saved sign Buehrle to a extension, resign Frank, sign another Starter, fill other holes etc...

IF Paulie's gone after the season, I hope it's after a parade through downtown and a nice new rock for his ring finger...:gulp:

Optipessimism
07-10-2005, 03:32 AM
I think he should try talking with Milwaukee. He might be able to push Konerko and a few prospects to the Brewers for Overbay. The Brewers could either trade Konerko and let Prince Fielder play this year, or take the power upgrade he brings over Overbay.

I've been saying this the for a long time about Overbay. The guy is going to be a stud.

First, I have to say that I'm a Brewers fan also, so it's not like I'm necessarily thrilled about them trading Lyle. But, Fielder is going to be a HUGE part of that team as early as late 2005. The heart of their order consisting of Weeks-Lee-Fielder is going to do some huge damage to the entire National League. If it were any other team, they would never think about trading Lyle. But since Milwaukee has two soon-to-be impact players at one position, Lyle is going to be the one traded.

I'd love to see Kenny make a serious run at this guy, but he wouldn't be cheap. We would have to part with some real quality pitching in order to get a guy like Overbay, especially considering his price tag. However, one positive about the whole thing is that KW and Melvin have dealt with each other before and both sides got a great deal, so he knows KW wouldn't be out to fleece him. Since the Sox are in another league, I'm sure he'd rather trade Overbay to us than any NL team assuming we offer the best package. If KW could pull off a 3-way deal that would send Konerko to another (NL) contender for pitching, and we could send that and a couple of our arms to Milwaukee, it could get done.

Podzilla_40
07-10-2005, 08:46 AM
If we get Overbay, or make Gload the full time 1B, then what's our lineup next season?

Pods
Iguchi
Gload/Overbay
Frank
Dye
Rowand
AJP
Crede
Uribe

I think it would be fairly solid. Frank can be a legit clean up hitter, and Gload/Overbay both get on base but aren't 30 HR guys.

FloridaSox
07-10-2005, 10:43 AM
I like PK and all (A lot more than most people here) and Ill support him until the day he's not a part of the Sox...

But, I really do believe there are better options to spend the $$$ on....

Personally, Lyle Overbay (Sorry if its been suggested, Im not reading 5 pages) sounds like a great option...Prince Fielder is ready in Milwaukee, and they got a great young core of players going there....

Overbay will be shopped around, and comes a ton cheaper than PK, and with the $$ saved sign Buehrle to a extension, resign Frank, sign another Starter, fill other holes etc...

IF Paulie's gone after the season, I hope it's after a parade through downtown and a nice new rock for his ring finger...:gulp:

Buerhle has always wanted to be a Cardinal. My gut tells me that is where is going to end up come FA time.

buehrle4cy05
07-10-2005, 10:51 AM
Ross Gload should be ready to fill in at first until they sign somebody or a minor leaguer like Casey Rogowski is ready. Save the money and spend it on Big Frank and Buehrle.

fquaye149
07-10-2005, 11:03 AM
Buerhle has always wanted to be a Cardinal. My gut tells me that is where is going to end up come FA time.

He's signed a contract extension with us before. Why would he do that if he only wanted to be a cardinal? He would just wait until he's free agent eligible and sign with St. Louis if he reeeeeally wanted to go there.

I suspect that Buehrle is loyal to the team that drafted him after so many other teams passed him by. The team where he learned how to be one of the best pitchers in baseball. The team where he may have a chance to win a world championship

I'm not saying that he's not going to end up in St. Louis. I'm just saying that this hand wringing about Buehrle not really wanting to be here, or the question of whether he would pitch his hardest if we faced St. Louis in the series is a little bit over the top.

A_ROW33
07-10-2005, 11:56 AM
I would love to have overbay over at first base. Another guy who I haven't seen mentioned that I also think could fit well on the sox is Sean Casey. With Cincy ready to dump just about anyone Casey most likely could be had.

Lip Man 1
07-10-2005, 12:40 PM
For what it's worth Phil Arvia in the Southtown has a Sunday column on the Buehrle family. Interesting read. Mark's dad is pretty honest in his comments about things.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
07-10-2005, 02:57 PM
Trading PK now would really hurt postseason chances. His batting average has suffered but he and Frank are the two guys in the lineup that can go yard on a consistant basis.

The words "Konerko" and "consistent" do not belong in the same sentence, unless the two words are separated by the modifier "not."

Such as: "Konerko is not consistent."

Konerko is maddeningly inconsistent. Always has been. Always will be. If he was in his third year right now, I might be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. But he's in his seventh year with the White Sox. He's had one good complete season: 2004. If he had continued where he left off last year, I'd be singing his praises right now.

I'll even excuse the fact that he normally produces better at the Cell than on the road. But he's been awful on this homestand, too.

In fact, really the only things we Sox fans can count on when it comes to Paulie is that he's a worse hitter with runners in scoring position and he's always going to be a GIDP threat with a runner on first.

He's completely inconsistent - even with his one tool.

chisoxfanforever
07-10-2005, 04:40 PM
[QUOTE=Frater Perdurabo]The words "Konerko" and "consistent" do not belong in the same sentence, unless the two words are separated by the modifier "not."

Konerko is maddeningly inconsistent. Always has been. Always will be. QUOTE]

Konerko seems to be a head case. Tends to get distracted with his personal life. I remember when he was getting married and slumped most of the season and terribly inconsistant. Now his wife is pregnant according to the pregame today with Rooney and Farmer. Another distraction for him. He needs to leave his private life outside the park. I don't expect him to be back next year.