PDA

View Full Version : what to do with the kiddies at the cell?

jehosaphat
07-08-2005, 10:40 PM
I am heading to the game this Sunday with the family - wife and 3 girls ages 8, 8, & 10. I don't get to go very often, and I would like to be able to watch as much of the game as possible. Quite frankly, the attention span of the youngins is limited. Is there a best time of the game to hit the fundamentals area, or I am destined to be stuck in line waiting for a turn, like a ride a Disney World, if I should head up there? Any other ballpark diversions worth checking out? Any suggestions on how to keep the kiddies entertained and still see most of the game will be welcomed.

PS: I already know the old trick of stuffing them full of junk food, but that only works for awhile.

LuvSox
07-08-2005, 10:57 PM
Ditch the wife and kiddies and watch the game in the bar.

I kid.

I'd be interested in the responses also, my kids aren't old enough to go yet. Soon enough though.

Stroker Ace
07-08-2005, 11:03 PM
Take em' up to the Fundamentals Deck.

SOXfnNlansing
07-08-2005, 11:10 PM
Take em' up to the Fundamentals Deck. I have a 5 yr old. How long is the wait in line?

chisoxfanatic
07-08-2005, 11:30 PM
Take them to the Fan Deck for part of the game. It also has its own concession stand, so you can easily get food and drinks without having to walk too far.

Try hitting up the gift shop behind home plate. Get there by the 7th inning, as it closes after that.

The left field shower is something I cherish about the ballpark, especially on a hot day. They moved it from its original location due to the construction of the Fundamentals Deck and can now be seen on the left centerfield concourse.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-09-2005, 12:32 AM
I have a 5 yr old. How long is the wait in line?

All depends on what you want to do. There's enough batting cages and practice cages, that the line is almost non existent. The 1B race vs. Pods takes some time, but it's cool. The fast pitch is limited to 3-4 pitches. The on field "practice" area is open to 4 kids at a time.

My 6 yo nephew and 9 yo son LOVED it there. We got there 1 hour early for the 1st Cub/Sox game...and had to drag them to our seats.

WagMan
07-10-2005, 12:26 AM
Going to the game with kids = not seeing many innings of actual play.

I think in the 4 or 5 games I've brought my kids along with, they sat still for about 4 innings/game. I tell them we can't get up until at least the 3rd inning. Then, we'll spend about 3 innings up at the fundamentals deck. And then there's the waiting around on the concourse to get food time which equals about an inning. And, we'll finally return to our seats somewhere around the 8th or 9th inning. (Last time I took my son, we got back just in time to see AJ's walk off HR against the Dodgers *phew*)
So, if you wanted to actually watch the game, not likely to happen. But, it's still an awesome time and I'd take them to every game if I could. Gotta love Kids Days!

RadioheadRocks
07-10-2005, 02:26 AM
The left field shower is something I cherish about the ballpark, especially on a hot day. They moved it from its original location due to the construction of the Fundamentals Deck and can now be seen on the left centerfield concourse.

If they don't want to get TOO soaked, the Rain Room on the right field concourse is a good bet to keep cool too! :D:

Brian26
07-10-2005, 11:12 AM
The on field "practice" area is open to 4 kids at a time.

I think they'll actually throw grounders to a line of 10 or 12 kids. They may have changed their rule on this.

TimoandAaron
07-10-2005, 02:42 PM
take them to the upper deck and show them the White Sox history!