PDA

View Full Version : The Memories of 2000 are still fresh

jhill36
07-08-2005, 06:18 PM
I'm on board. I was against it. Seasons like this rarely come around, and, out there in the distance, are the Angels. In the first OR the second round, we're gonna face them. If we can get ONLY ONE piece to deal for and that piece was REALLY good, which of these three would you prefer to deal for the MOST: 1) starting pitching, 2) bullpen, 3) shortshop, or 4) third base?

I say get A.J. Burnett, but that's just me. Like I said, the memories of 2000 are still fresh in my mind. I was depressed for the entire winter as I'm sure most of you were. But I'd like to hear more experienced opinions.

Stretch
07-08-2005, 06:21 PM
I'm on board. I was against it. Seasons like this rarely come around, and, out there in the distance, are the Angels. In the first OR the second round, we're gonna face them. If we can get ONLY ONE piece to deal for and that piece was REALLY good, which of these three would you prefer to deal for the MOST: 1) starting pitching, 2) bullpen, 3) shortshop, or 4) third base?

I say get A.J. Burnett, but that's just me. Like I said, the memories of 2000 are still fresh in my mind. I was depressed for the entire winter as I'm sure most of you were. But I'd like to hear more experienced opinions.

1. Bullpen
2. 4th starter
3. 3rd baseman

Uribe is the best defensive SS in the league theres no need to upgrade, they do need a reliever and another stater. A 3rdbaseman would be neat, but it isn't needed as much as pitching.

Jurr
07-08-2005, 06:35 PM
I would be happy to face the Angels in the ALCS, because I believe they are the easiest matchup for us in a POSSIBLE playoff series (gotta stay humble, Sox fans!)
Yes, they can hit the ball a little, but they seem to have a lineup that our front line pitchers can subdue. On the other hand, they can do the same with us. In that series, I think we'd see a bunch of really tight games. I am much more worried about a team like Boston, because they have a pretty good rotation on the front end and they have the offensive ability to absolutely dominate if they're hot. I'm interested in seeing how Garland and Buehrle pitch against the Bosox this year during the regular season.

jhill36
07-08-2005, 06:50 PM
I would be happy to face the Angels in the ALCS, because I believe they are the easiest matchup for us in a POSSIBLE playoff series (gotta stay humble, Sox fans!)
Yes, they can hit the ball a little, but they seem to have a lineup that our front line pitchers can subdue. On the other hand, they can do the same with us. In that series, I think we'd see a bunch of really tight games. I am much more worried about a team like Boston, because they have a pretty good rotation on the front end and they have the offensive ability to absolutely dominate if they're hot. I'm interested in seeing how Garland and Buehrle pitch against the Bosox this year during the regular season.

I am the exact opposite of you. I worry more about the Angels because they do the same thing we do and just as well, which is take advantage of opponents's mistakes. And that Vlad-G.A. combo they have over there is ugly. The bullpen is actually a little better than ours, even though we got to Scott Shields earlier in the year. Plus, for some reason the Sox don't like their stadium. On the other hand, Boston has some weaknesses we can more easily exploit. David Wells is only a shadow of his former self, and I'll take Garland over Clement any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I hope it's Boston.

ChiSoxRowand
07-09-2005, 12:56 AM
Uribe is the best defensive SS in the league

Uribe is very good with the glove, but I wouldn't go that far.

jhill36
07-09-2005, 09:06 AM
1. Bullpen
2. 4th starter
3. 3rd baseman

Uribe is the best defensive SS in the league theres no need to upgrade, they do need a reliever and another stater. A 3rdbaseman would be neat, but it isn't needed as much as pitching.

As far as third basemen are concerned, I hear Joe Randa is hitting .360 in his last 25 ABs with 3 runs, 3 RBIs. I bet we could cop dat.

On second thought, we've got Pablo.

3rdgensoxfan
07-09-2005, 12:43 PM
I remember in 2000, the White Sox had to play three day games against the Mariners. I assume this was because TV wanted to reserve the night game for the Yankees and hopefully draw better ratings. I noticed that year that the Sox struggled in their Sunday day games and I believe this carried over when they had to play day games. Hopefully they get to play at least one night game in the first round of the playoffs if they make it.

mdep524
07-09-2005, 01:42 PM
I remember in 2000, the White Sox had to play three day games against the Mariners. I assume this was because TV wanted to reserve the night game for the Yankees and hopefully draw better ratings. I noticed that year that the Sox struggled in their Sunday day games and I believe this carried over when they had to play day games. Hopefully they get to play at least one night game in the first round of the playoffs if they make it. Some of that comes from the fact that Ozzie commonly uses his "B" lineup on Sundays (Timo, Willie, etc.) to rest his regulars.