PDA

View Full Version : "[Podsednikís] a mediocre player. He canít throw a lick."

Mercy!
07-08-2005, 05:52 PM
"He's a mediocre player. He canít throw a lick." Ė Jimmy Piersall about Scott Podsednik, July 8, 2005, on 670The Score radio,

Well, no one could mistake Jimmy for a homer, huh? The majority of his little harangue today had to do with his disgust at fans "stuffing the ballot box" in support of Podsednikís nomination to the all star team. Note to Jimmy and his ilk: following MLBís rules for voting is just that Ė playing by the rules. Get over it.

Piersallís spiteful put-down was so typical of all the negativity you hear from the shouters on AM sports radio; and the absolute antithesis of the positiveness and teamwork that is this seasonís White Sox success.

Jimmy sounded nasty, bitter and petulant. But worse, he sounded ignorant. I hate to remember him that way.

beckett21
07-08-2005, 05:56 PM
And to think the Sox got him for his arm...:?:

Moron.

JB98
07-08-2005, 05:58 PM
"He's a mediocre player. He canít throw a lick." Ė Jimmy Piersall about Scott Podsednik, July 8, 2005, on 670The Score radio,

Well, no one could mistake Jimmy for a homer, huh? The majority of his little harangue today had to do with his disgust at fans "stuffing the ballot box" in support of Podsednikís nomination to the all star team. Note to Jimmy and his ilk: following MLBís rules for voting is just that Ė playing by the rules. Get over it.

Piersallís spiteful put-down was so typical of all the negativity you hear from the shouters on AM sports radio; and the absolute antithesis of the positiveness and teamwork that is this seasonís White Sox success.

Jimmy sounded nasty, bitter and petulant. But worse, he sounded ignorant. I hate to remember him that way.

LOL. Pods isn't a five-tool player. That much is true. But neither are quite a few guys who are going to the All-Star game.

David Ortiz can't run a lick or field his position. Is he an All-Star? You bet. Pods can't throw a lick or hit for power. Is he an All-Star? You bet.

Daver
07-08-2005, 05:58 PM
Jimmy is also right, as a defensive player Scott leaves a lot to be desired.

BlackHat91
07-08-2005, 06:00 PM
Im sick of everyone :whiner:over Podsednik getting voted into the all-star game. Pods is a quality player and was voted in fair and square. All the :whiner:need to get over it allready.

Mr. White Sox
07-08-2005, 06:00 PM

The one redeeming quality of Pods' defense is his speed; he can catch up to balls not many others can, or he can make up for mistakes on judging flyballs. But yeah, he's got a below average arm, that's for sure.

chisoxfanatic
07-08-2005, 06:03 PM
It's amazing how much people are getting on Podsednik for his fielding when he's a huge upgrade from what we had there before!

Stretch
07-08-2005, 06:06 PM
It's amazing how much people are getting on Podsednik for his fielding when he's a huge upgrade from what we had there before!

He's an upgrade over Lee for sure but he's no gold glover.

Daver
07-08-2005, 06:07 PM
The one redeeming quality of Pods' defense is his speed; he can catch up to balls not many others can, or he can make up for mistakes on judging flyballs. But yeah, he's got a below average arm, that's for sure.

Speed has nothing to do with range.

chisoxfanatic
07-08-2005, 06:09 PM
He's an upgrade over Lee for sure but he's no gold glover.

The thing is, we don't really need to have Podsednik be a gold glove fielder, because our pitching has been so great that those type of hit balls that force a fielder to go out of his usual defensive realm have become a rarity! Podesdnik does an efficient job out there and is more than a quality leadoff guy.

veeter
07-08-2005, 06:15 PM
No matter how you slice or dice it, Podsednik has made nothing but a HUGE positive impact on the best team in baseball. I think he's even laughing at the "controversy" his All-Star selection has caused. Like all the Sox players he's into winning, anything else is gravy.

aniceItch
07-08-2005, 06:15 PM
Ohhh No! Now we've really done it.
Now Scott is gonna go in late in the game and make a horrible error in the outfield that will lose the game for the AL and our world series chances will be CRUSHED. How dare us.
Geez. Its a shame we didnt know about this earlier!

Daver
07-08-2005, 06:17 PM
The thing is, we don't really need to have Podsednik be a gold glove fielder, because our pitching has been so great that those type of hit balls that force a fielder to go out of his usual defensive realm have become a rarity! Podesdnik does an efficient job out there and is more than a quality leadoff guy.

I don't think anyone here is unhappy with the job he is doing, just because you point something out does not mean you are complaining about it.

White Sox Josh
07-08-2005, 06:17 PM
Does Piersall really hold it against the Sox that much because of what happened when he was let go of as a Broadcaster. I know in Lip's interview he had some interesting things to say about Reinsdorf.

Mercy!
07-08-2005, 06:18 PM

I would agree with you if you had said "as a defensive player Scott leaves something to be desired." But Jimmy didn't say either of those two things.

As I'm sure you could tell, I was objecting to the hyperbole and mind-numbing negativity of this type of "analysis."

SOXSINCE'70
07-08-2005, 06:18 PM

But that's Jimmy Piersall.He is nasty,bitter and petulant.Are you old enough
to remember when he used to do Sox telecasts in the 70's and 80's??
There's a reason Piersall and Reinsdorf don't get along,and it has
everything to do with Piersall's opinions.Sometimes,as one of his book
titles states, "The Truth Hurts".:angry:

Podsednik is a huge upgrade over Lee,but he's not quite gold glove
caliber.Close,but not quite.I love watching him run the bases.Hey,the
Sox got him for his base stealing prowess,not his throws from the
outfield. :gulp:

Dibbs
07-08-2005, 06:19 PM

Uh, yes it does. But it is only one factor with range.

Daver
07-08-2005, 06:21 PM

I have seen outfielders that would lose a footrace with Paul Konerko that had excellent range.

Huisj
07-08-2005, 06:21 PM

I agree completely. When you watch Podsednik play left, he often doesn't get to balls that it seems like he might. He pulls up short of balls sort of frequently where other people sometimes seem to turn it up a notch and make a play.

I played center field in high school, because I had good range. However, if you put me in a straight line race with the whole rest of the team, I probably would have been middle of the pack. It's a different type of running than just putting your head down and going.

Jerko
07-08-2005, 06:25 PM
I agree completely. When you watch Podsednik play left, he often doesn't get to balls that it seems like he might. He pulls up short of balls sort of frequently where other people sometimes seem to turn it up a notch and make a play.

I think he's so paranoid of letting the ball get by him he figures he'll just hold the batter to a single and let the pitchers get out of it.

Dibbs
07-08-2005, 06:28 PM
I have seen outfielders that would lose a footrace with Paul Konerko that had excellent range.

That's cool, but I definately think speed has something to do with range, not everything of course....but no doubt something to do with it.

Anyway, I heard that grumpy old rant by Jimmy and thought it was pretty crazy. Whoever receives the most votes goes to the All-Star game, and Scotty completely deserves it fair and square. The one time the east coast gets the shaft, everybody starts crying. Go Scotty! :gulp:

chisoxfanatic
07-08-2005, 06:30 PM

Agreed. Other things that effect range consist of the player's ability to read the path traveled by the ball, as well as their knowledge of a hitter's style, which allows them to get in better position to make a play.

dickallen15
07-08-2005, 06:47 PM
That's cool, but I definately think speed has something to do with range, not everything of course....but no doubt something to do with it.

Anyway, I heard that grumpy old rant by Jimmy and thought it was pretty crazy. Whoever receives the most votes goes to the All-Star game, and Scotty completely deserves it fair and square. The one time the east coast gets the shaft, everybody starts crying. Go Scotty! :gulp:

He won the vote, he deserves to go. The White Sox incredible record has more to do with Podsednik going to Detroit than his performance. If his and Jeter's stats were reversed and Jeter was voted in, there would be 10 threads on this board whining about east coast bias. The fact is everything Pods brings to the table baseball-wise, starts and ends with his legs. When the day comes when he can only steal 30 bases or when he gets throw out 40% of the time, he will have to find a new line of work.

tebman
07-08-2005, 07:07 PM
It was mentioned earlier that Podsednik isn't a 5-tool player, and I suppose that's what annoys Piersall. You've got to take what Piersall says with many grains of salt -- he's got a great baseball mind but he usually misses the bigger picture. He's entertaining, but he's also narrowly focused and petulant.

As to Podsednik, KW knew exactly what he was getting when he made the Lee trade: a high OBP guy who is a hell of a baserunner and an high-average outfielder. Like we've all said dozens of times, KW built a winning baseball machine here out of a number of specialized parts. The fact that SP is going to the All-Star Game just shows how valuable the right guy on the right team can be.

C-Dawg
07-08-2005, 07:47 PM
The one time the east coast gets the shaft, everybody starts crying.

Precisely! Maybe Jimmy would prefer the All Star Game has ONLY the players that ESPN and the New York-based media wants in it. May as well cancel the voting from now on; clearly ESPN knows better who deserves to be in it than thousands of knowledgeable baseball-loving fans from a really big midwestern city!

Brian26
07-08-2005, 08:08 PM

Jimmy's lost any marbles that he had left. Seriously, Jimmy's a nonfactor. Pods can ignite a club by what he does on the bases, and that completely makes up for his average arm in leftfield. Pods speed is going to win us more games than his arm is going to save us.

NonetheLoaiza
07-08-2005, 08:16 PM

I'll disagree a bit, because to get to some of the balls, you need speed, and thus it increases your range. Much more important factors however are route to the ball, read off the bat, and pure athletic ability when it comes to catching the ball. I do understand your point, though.

Alanzo XXXVIII
07-08-2005, 08:18 PM
Speed has nothing to do with range?

If you had Andruw Jones and his clone who was the exact same except faster, who'd you want out there for D?

Daver
07-08-2005, 08:28 PM
Speed has nothing to do with range?

If you had Andruw Jones and his clone who was the exact same except faster, who'd you want out there for D?

Ken Griffey Jr.

fquaye149
07-08-2005, 08:28 PM

That's a little extreme - I totally know what you mean though.

The two most important factors in range are

a.) positioning yourself
b.) reading the ball off the bat

However, all things being equal speed will allow someone to get to more balls. It's a very minor part of range, but it lets players like Andruw Jones play a pretty decent centerfield, despite not being as good a pure outfielder as someone like Mike Cameron.

Daver
07-08-2005, 09:25 PM

a.) positioning yourself

However, all things being equal speed will allow someone to get to more balls. It's a very minor part of range, but it lets players like Andruw Jones play a pretty decent centerfield, despite not being as good a pure outfielder as someone like Mike Cameron.

The most important factor is knowing the hitter, and his tendencies, that allows a.) to happen. The rest is up to the fielder. This is exactly where a catcher with the ability to call a game becomes an even more lost art.

jehosaphat
07-08-2005, 09:56 PM
I haven't noticed Pods costing us much in the outfield this year - he's played well. He's no Clemente, but then again, not many are. Also, he can play solidly at two OF positions which gives us some flexibility in the line up. Try putting Carlos Lee in centerfield - that would be an adventure.

The real story is that his teammates rallied around him, which shows great team unity which I believe will serve us well down the stretch. The fans rallied as well; the unprecendented support that shows the depth of loyalty and affection Sox fans have for their team.

I think it is a great that a guy who stuck with the game through 9 years in the minors is getting a chance to go. I'd be happy for him whatever team he played for.

fquaye149
07-08-2005, 09:56 PM
The most important factor is knowing the hitter, and his tendencies, that allows a.) to happen. The rest is up to the fielder. This is exactly where a catcher with the ability to call a game becomes an even more lost art.

Absolutely. This is why I feel like Mike Cameron is one of the most underrated players I've ever seen.

He doesn't make many web gems because he's in position to make them look like routine plays. Outfielders like Torii Hunter and Andruw Jones, while being outstanding ATHLETES aren't as good of pure outfielders.

The mental aspect makes up for so much. You can see this sort of thing watching Willie Harris on the bases compared to Scott Podsednik. Willie might actually be faster than Scott, but he sure can't steal a base the way Scott can. Someone once said you don't steal a base off the catcher, you steal it off the pitcher...but the other side of that coin is that you have to be ABLE to steal off a pitcher if he's going to let you.

The Racehorse
07-08-2005, 10:09 PM

... whatever...

Daver
07-08-2005, 10:15 PM
Absolutely. This is why I feel like Mike Cameron is one of the most underrated players I've ever seen.

Carl Yazstremsky was no athlete, but he had Carlton Fisk calling the game to help him out. Lance Johnson was not a gold glove outfielder, but Carlton made him better. Mike Cameron did his own homework, something that is not often seen these days. I still rate Griffey Jr. in his prime as the best outfielder I have ever seen.

fquaye149
07-08-2005, 10:55 PM
Carl Yazstremsky was no athlete, but he had Carlton Fisk calling the game to help him out. Lance Johnson was not a gold glove outfielder, but Carlton made him better. Mike Cameron did his own homework, something that is not often seen these days. I still rate Griffey Jr. in his prime as the best outfielder I have ever seen.

Oh God yes - Griffey was the total package - he could PLAY outfield, and he had the physical tools that put him light years above both the good outfielders and the athletes in the outfield. He was just unbelievable. Oh - and he could hit a litte :o:

White Sox Josh
07-08-2005, 11:03 PM
Oh God yes - Griffey was the total package - he could PLAY outfield, and he had the physical tools that put him light years above both the good outfielders and the athletes in the outfield. He was just unbelievable. Oh - and he could hit a litte :o:I remember Griffey more for the awesome plays he made in the field. Awesome in the field in his prime.

lostletters
07-09-2005, 12:06 AM
These people were saying that Manny was a better fielding LF. PLEASE.

Manny may have a big bat, but he is one of the worst LF in the league.

Pods has incredible range in left. He might not have a cannon, but he does have a quick release. Save for the Angels and the Twins, there are not many teams with as good as an outfield as the White Sox.

To call him a poor outfielder proves to me he has not been paying attention.

Pods has done nothing but help the White Sox. His leather is one of the main reasons we got Pods. Plus he gives the White Sox another dimension that most teams simply lack.

If we wanted a big bat in left and a guy with limited range in left but with a cannon for an arm...we would have kept Carlos Lee.

Sorry, Pods rocks. He is probably the most exciting White Sox players in YEARS. I can now understand why Seattle fans have an obsession with Ichiro. A true leadoff hitter is an amazing thing to watch.

His arm may be just middle of the road, but his fielding is exceptional. He gets balls in left that most outfielders simply do not have the range to get. When Pods/Rowand/Dye are playing it often seems like the outfield gaps simply do not exist.

SpringfldFan
07-09-2005, 06:15 AM
Pods deserves to be an all star because what he does well (baserunning), he does better then anyone else in baseball. Case closed.

SFF

The Wimperoo
07-09-2005, 08:55 AM
I think the two things that get overrated the most on this site are Pods and AJ's defense.

fquaye149
07-09-2005, 09:03 AM
I think the two things that get overrated the most on this site are Pods and AJ's defense.

completely and totally. That said, I think it was underrated at the beginning of the season how he would be an upgrade over Carlos in left.

Brewers fans can tell you about a few dozers in left field this year.

Add the upgrade Dye gives us over magglio (despite what Hangar might have decided after the first couple weeks) and you've got a pretty improved defensive outfield.

I think the improvements we'd see in defense this year were pretty underestimated this offseason (for good reason at certain positions - 2B for instance). It's not what's WINNING us games, but our infield and outfield are about as strong as they've been in years.

jabrch
07-09-2005, 09:58 AM

Because of his speed, he can play a very shallow LF and still make it all the way back to the wall on most balls. He cuts off a lot of would-be bloopers that way.

MIgrenade
07-09-2005, 11:45 AM
Why doesn't everyone just calm down? Jimmy has lost a couple screws and really can't speak anymore. The reality is the Scott is a mediocre outfielder and that's why he plays left where he doesn't have to throw far. Rowand covers a lot of ground and so does Uribe when he has to. Pods isn't here for that. He is here because he can steal and get on base. He should never be put in center and I hate it when it happens but I guess it's the best we have.

Heffalump
07-09-2005, 12:06 PM
These people were saying that Manny was a better fielding LF. PLEASE.

Manny may have a big bat, but he is one of the worst LF in the league.

Manny could be a great outfielder if he wanted to. Unfortunately, he only cares about his hitting and his huge ego.

JohnBasedowYoda
07-09-2005, 12:30 PM

:tealpolice:

TomBradley72
07-09-2005, 12:39 PM

a.) positioning yourself

a.) positioning yourself
c.) running as quickly as possible to where the ball will be

ode to veeck
07-09-2005, 12:58 PM
Ken Griffey was a great outfielder, but my personal favorite was always Roberto Clemente

fquaye149
07-09-2005, 02:07 PM
a.) positioning yourself
c.) running as quickly as possible to where the ball will be

Ok, but that's sort of like saying being a good pitcher has to do with

a.) great mechanics
b.) throwing the right pitch
c.) throwing hard

It's great to have c...but it's almost irrelevant without a or b. If you have enough skill at C it can make up for deficiencies at a or b, but inevitably if you don't have a or b, all the c in the world won't make a difference.

edit: not to mention that if you have a. and b. and you don't have c. you can still be a successful player. That's what we're saying about outfielders - you can still be an incredibly successful outfielder without speed. If Scotty had the positioning and reading ability of a top outfielder, he'd be amazing. As it is, he is merely average.

BeviBall!
07-09-2005, 04:19 PM

But he gets to that ball last night.

Unregistered
07-09-2005, 04:50 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3049

Whitesox029
07-09-2005, 09:24 PM
I'm sorry, but that's not true. Part of being fast is being a good outfielder, arm or no arm. Carlos Lee didn't make an error last year, but he also only got to about 85% of the balls that Podsednik gets to. He has tremendous range. In light of that, it isn't fair to say that he "leaves a lot to be desired."

Daver
07-09-2005, 09:38 PM
I'm sorry, but that's not true. Part of being fast is being a good outfielder, arm or no arm. Carlos Lee didn't make an error last year, but he also only got to about 85% of the balls that Podsednik gets to. He has tremendous range. In light of that, it isn't fair to say that he "leaves a lot to be desired."

Comparing Scott to Carlos Lee is not comparing him to a good outfielder, let alone a great one. As an outfielder, he leaves a lot to be desired.

oldcomiskey
07-10-2005, 11:20 AM
so did Lance Johnson but I did love it when one dog caught EVERYTHING

ChiSoxBobette
07-11-2005, 06:28 AM

While I don't agree with this format why all of a sudden is it such a travesty because Scotty Pods got in this way, there was'nt any uproar the lasy couple of years MLB used this gimmick and other players won, but all of a sudden Scotty get dissed by it seems the media from his home city. Its a joke if anyother of those players won there would'nt have been all of this crap but because its a White Sox player it sucks. Also who is jimmy piersall every time you listen to the looser he compares himself to every ballplayer in baseball history the guys an idiot, HEY JIMMY IF EVERYONE WANTED DEREK JETER IN THE ALL-STARGAME THEY SHOULD NEW YORK FANS SHOULD HAVE VOTED HIM IN!

JIMMY PEIRSALL=MORON!

jshanahanjr
07-11-2005, 09:50 AM
Jimmy may be a loose canon, but he knows his baseball.

MarkZ35
07-11-2005, 02:19 PM
Podsednik is more of a scrappy player like the National Leagues starting shortstop David Eckstein who the fans voted to start. I know theres not much competition for shortstop in the N.L. but still theres no way he should start an All-Star game. I dont understand how the Sox cheated or whatever he's calling it to get Pods to the All-Star. It's obvious he just has something against Pods and he wants to take away from his All Star selection.

ma_deuce
07-11-2005, 02:47 PM

I'll give you that Pods is not an All-Star defensively, but to say he is a "mediocre player" because of it is a stretch. Piersall is simply ignoring the undeniable positives in Pod's game to prove a worthless point (that he doesn't deserve to be in the All-Star Game).

Deuce

GAsoxfan
07-12-2005, 12:47 PM
Podsednik has a better arm than Damon, an All-Star starter.

Whitesox029
07-12-2005, 03:05 PM
Comparing Scott to Carlos Lee is not comparing him to a good outfielder, let alone a great one. As an outfielder, he leaves a lot to be desired.
I never said he was Willie Mays out there, but I would rate him "better than average" on his speed alone.

rowand33
07-12-2005, 10:42 PM
Scotty rates third among all MLB Left Fielders with a 2.37 Range Factor.

Tied for 5th in Zone Rating (.890).

Tied for 7th with a .994 fielding percentage, one error so far.

I'd certainly say he's a better than average fielder.

Fake Chet Lemon
07-12-2005, 10:55 PM
Im sick of everyone :whiner:over Podsednik getting voted into the all-star game. Pods is a quality player and was voted in fair and square. All the :whiner:need to get over it allready.

Yep. The All-Star games represents THE BEST. The best HR hitters are well represented, with the best hitters for average and the best pitchers. Pods represents THE BEST base stealer, and possible the best lead off hitter when you factor in how well he drives up the opponents pitch counts. Plus he's the offensive igniter for the team with THE BEST record in baseball. Case closed, anyone who disagrees can tell their cry baby story walking.