PDA

View Full Version : Brian Simmons again?!

mrwag
11-20-2001, 04:59 PM
Here's the latest:

"Perry designated for assignment

The Chicago White Sox claimed former Sox outfielder Brian Simmons off waivers from the Toronto Blue Jays, and designated third baseman Herbert Perry and outfielder Julio Ramirez for assignment. Simmons, who was traded to Toronto with pitcher Mike Sirotka in exchange for lefty David Wells last January, was a second round draft choice of the Sox in 1995."

What do you guys think?

jklm
11-20-2001, 05:27 PM
More Transactions:

Purchased the contracts of pitchers Edwin Almonte, Matt Guerrier, Kyle Kane, Jon Rauch and Mitch Wylie and catcher Miguel Olivo (i.e. they are on the 40 man roster)

Brian Simmons? He won't help the team, like that Ryan Kohlmeier guy we picked up from the Orioles.

MarqSox
11-20-2001, 05:38 PM
:jerry
I really think we gave up on Julio too soon. He just needed to get his swing down.

Jerry_Manuel
11-20-2001, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by jklm
Brian Simmons? He won't help the team, like that Ryan Kohlmeier guy we picked up from the Orioles.

I think he will, Williams must have something up his sleeve. I don't think they got him back so he could be the starter in Charlotte. Borchard most likely will start the year in Charlotte, so I doubt Simmons is going to be there. I'm not trying to start something with CLR but I think Singleton is gone.

RedPinStripes
11-20-2001, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I think he will, Williams must have something up his sleeve. I don't think they got him back so he could be the starter in Charlotte. Borchard most likely will start the year in Charlotte, so I doubt Simmons is going to be there. I'm not trying to start something with CLR but I think Singleton is gone.

I don't know what KW has up his sleeve, but I would hope there is a big trade that will help this team coming soon.

Daver
11-20-2001, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by ComiskeyBum

I don't know what KW has up his sleeve,

His arm is about it at this point,there won't be much happening till the owners know if there will be baseball next year.

But then again what the hell do I know?

dougs78
11-20-2001, 06:41 PM
You guys may not like him and I'm not saying I do either, but such extremes on Julio Ramirez?? How can a guy go from your opening day center fielder at the age of 23 and then be designated that offseason? It just makes no sense to me that you could change your opinion on a guy that much in 9 months. Also, does designated for assignment mean the players are automatically gone? or just that any team has the right to claim them and if not they go to the minors??

Paulwny
11-20-2001, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by dougs78
Also, does designated for assignment mean the players are automatically gone? or just that any team has the right to claim them and if not they go to the minors??

Designated for Assignment
You'll sometimes read that a player has been "designated for assignment."

What does this mean? Essentially, it allows a club to open up a roster spot while it figures out what it's going to do with a player. As we'll see below, there are certain situations in which a team needs a player's permission to either trade him or send him to the minors. So rather than force the player to make a quick decision, the team can simply designate him for assignment while he decides.

More commonly, a player is designated for assignment so the club can open up his roster spot while they're waiting for him to clear waivers, which can take four or five days. Occasionally, a club will designate a player for assignment while they're trying to trade him.

czalgosz
11-20-2001, 07:05 PM
I for one always liked Brian Simmons. He was always a victim of circumstance, IMO. Just look at his career -

1999 - comes into spring training battling for the starting Center field job. Tears up spring training, is seeming favorite for the position. Gets hurt, misses part of the season. Comes back to find that Chris Singleton is having a career year, is used mainly as a defensive replacement.

2000 - comes into spring training the obvious fourth outfielder. Tears up spring training again, gets hurt again, this time misses the entire season.

2001 - Gets traded to Toronto, where Buck Martinez doesn't believe in using his bench. Sits and rots on the bench, gets sent down to the minors in July, and never gets to do anything.

Brian Simmons has never gotten a real chance to play the game at the big-league level. He's an outstanding defensive outfielder, probably better than Singleton, and I think he'll be at least an average hitter if given some playing time. He should at least be given a shot in Spring Training.

This does lead one to believe that either Rowand, Lee, or Singleton will be traded before Spring Training starts.

Daver
11-20-2001, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
I for one always liked Brian Simmons. He was always a victim of circumstance, IMO. Just look at his career -

1999 - comes into spring training battling for the starting Center field job. Tears up spring training, is seeming favorite for the position. Gets hurt, misses part of the season. Comes back to find that Chris Singleton is having a career year, is used mainly as a defensive replacement.

2000 - comes into spring training the obvious fourth outfielder. Tears up spring training again, gets hurt again, this time misses the entire season.

2001 - Gets traded to Toronto, where Buck Martinez doesn't believe in using his bench. Sits and rots on the bench, gets sent down to the minors in July, and never gets to do anything.

Brian Simmons has never gotten a real chance to play the game at the big-league level. He's an outstanding defensive outfielder, probably better than Singleton, and I think he'll be at least an average hitter if given some playing time. He should at least be given a shot in Spring Training.

This does lead one to believe that either Rowand, Lee, or Singleton will be traded before Spring Training starts.

Odds are it ain't Rowand,and Singleton can play all three positions in the outfeild,I hope that means BUH BYE Lee.

duke of dorwood
11-20-2001, 07:31 PM
I'll tell you this, Simmons, Aaron, and Maggs is a great late inning defensive outfield. I agree that it appears that Singleton has been designated for dumping.

:KW

Hey I know how to get on WSI, don't I ?

kermittheefrog
11-20-2001, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by dougs78
You guys may not like him and I'm not saying I do either, but such extremes on Julio Ramirez?? How can a guy go from your opening day center fielder at the age of 23 and then be designated that offseason? It just makes no sense to me that you could change your opinion on a guy that much in 9 months. Also, does designated for assignment mean the players are automatically gone? or just that any team has the right to claim them and if not they go to the minors??

Well first of all Jose Valentin was the opening day centerfielder and Chris Singleton the regular centefielder. Julio got a few shots against lefty pitching since neither Chris nor Jose can hit it and he sucked. Then he went on to hit like Rey Ordonez only he did that in AAA. That's why he's designated for assignment. They had to make room on the roster for more valuable commodities like Jon Rauch.

bringbackrobin
11-21-2001, 01:07 AM
Remember, the only reason we got Juilo in the first place was becase the Marlins had already given up on him. Julio Ramirez has potential, whatever that means, but the fact is that he hasn't hit well for years.

bringbackrobin
11-21-2001, 01:13 AM
and as for Simmons, I'm starting to get the feeling that KW really likes to reacquire guys. Mike Williams, Gary Majewski, and now Brian Simmons. Who's next? Jeff Abbott? Mike Sirotka? Maybe even Chad Bradford?

doublem23
11-21-2001, 01:18 AM
Well, I wouldn't mind us bringing Siro back.

CLR01
11-21-2001, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

What Jerry? Kenny Williams has nothing up his sleeve, remember last off-season when he had something up his sleeve? Yeah well that master plan didn't work because nobody wanted the stiff.

"See you next year sox fans."

:hitless

P.S. Yeah i know BMR, royce clayton doesn't suck, he is just misunderstood.

"I am not going anywhere, I am still the best option we have at center."

:slowswing

MikeKreevich
11-21-2001, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by bringbackrobin
and as for Simmons, I'm starting to get the feeling that KW really likes to reacquire guys. Mike Williams, Gary Majewski, and now Brian Simmons. Who's next? Jeff Abbott? Mike Sirotka? Maybe even Chad Bradford?

I still can't figure what happened to Jeff Abbott. I was sure he was going to be something special. I guess the mental make-up just wasn't there.

KempersRS
11-21-2001, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Guzman's Goat

I still can't figure what happened to Jeff Abbott. I was sure he was going to be something special. I guess the mental make-up just wasn't there.

If you consider a guy who can only perform in a league that has at least one "A" in its title to be special, then I'd agree with you.

RedPinStripes
11-21-2001, 09:02 AM
You know I'm gonna be here baby!
:slowswing [/B][/QUOTE] :flameswing

bringbackrobin
11-21-2001, 10:23 AM
To be honest, I'm still mad about losing Chad Bradford. I mean, sure, Miguel Olivo looks really good and all. But we would have been the only team in the league with a side-arming lefty and a side-arming righty in its bullpen. That could have made for some nifty late game matchups.

KempersRS
11-21-2001, 10:47 AM
To be honest, I'm still mad about losing Chad Bradford. I mean, sure, Miguel Olivo looks really good and all. But we would have been the only team in the league with a side-arming lefty and a side-arming righty in its bullpen. That could have made for some nifty late game matchups.

Who knows how Wunsch is going to come off surgery. Really, a lot of our season depends on how talented the surgeons were last year.
:kelly
My arm hurts

RedPinStripes
11-21-2001, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by KempersRS

Who knows how Wunsch is going to come off surgery. Really, a lot of our season depends on how talented the surgeons were last year.
:kelly
My arm hurts

That is true

my arm hurts.........lol

bringbackrobin
11-21-2001, 02:26 PM
Well, for what it's worth I talked to Kelly about a month ago and he said that his arm is feeling much better. He's already started throwing again.

RedPinStripes
11-21-2001, 03:06 PM
Well, for what it's worth I talked to Kelly about a month ago and he said that his arm is feeling much better. He's already started throwing again.

Good! I don't want to see the Kelly of last year again. He played a good role in 2000. We need him back healthy.