PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Allen

veeter
07-08-2005, 02:07 PM
I saw video on this kid after the draft last year. He's a very big guy with a great lefty swing (reminds me of Mo Vaughn size wise). He then goes out and has a terrible first year. He has since regrouped at Great Falls. .392/4/15, season only about two weeks old. I think he's 19 now. Anybody know anything about him?

Fungo
07-08-2005, 02:27 PM
Allen is pretty raw as he was a linebacker with D-I potential as a football player in HS. Now that he's devoted his time to strickly baseball, this kid could end up being real good; high ceiling. He's big, but fast for his size and needs time to develop becuase of being a two sport stud in HS.

Randar68
07-08-2005, 02:44 PM
I saw video on this kid after the draft last year. He's a very big guy with a great lefty swing (reminds me of Mo Vaughn size wise). He then goes out and has a terrible first year. He has since regrouped at Great Falls. .392/4/15, season only about two weeks old. I think he's 19 now. Anybody know anything about him?

He started playing baseball relatively late, but he's a project. With his size and athleticism, if he wasn't a project, he'd have been a first or second rounder.

Even as bad as he was at Bristol numbers-wise, he stood out like a sore thumb at that level. He essentially has had to learn the game from a very basic level on up.

He's a HS'er who was drafted just 13 months ago. It really doesn't matter what his age or level are right now, as long as he is gaining experience and working on the fundamentals in game situations. He'll finish this season and go back to the fall instructional leagues and hopefully next year he breaks out in Kanny and/or W-S.

VERY high-ceiling prospect. Built like an SEC Outside LB and runs like a deer. Quick bat and a good enough arm to play RF.

California Sox
07-08-2005, 04:47 PM
Randar, Allen has absolutely been tearing apart Pioneer League pitching. Is this a case of a raw player whose athleticism is overpowering lesser stuff ala Anthony Webster a few years ago in the Appy League? Or has Allen made enough adjustments to feel confident that he is going to hit? Also, if he's a fast runner with a great throwing arm, why is he playing first base (badly I might add)? He and Salvadore Sanchez give us a pair of really intriguing young prospects in Rookie Ball, don't you think?