PDA

View Full Version : Sox fans' obsession with Cubs (per Indiana newspaper columnist)

mweflen
07-08-2005, 11:22 AM
http://www.post-trib.com/cgi-bin/pto-story/sports/z1/07-08-05_z1_spor_07.html

An Indiana perspective on Sox fans' Cubbie obsession. I know the guy who wrote it - he's a moron some times, but in this case he's right :D:

PS - he loves getting hate mail, so be sure to send him some (I did :wink:)

White Sox Josh
07-08-2005, 11:29 AM
To quote School of Rock:
"Ok, Mark Lazerus, shut up!"

Madvora
07-08-2005, 11:32 AM
739 games over .500!

PatK
07-08-2005, 11:37 AM
Obviously, he's a bitter Cubs fan.

Of course, he brings up the stereotypicle Legue-esque Sox fan to illustrate his point.

He mentions the anti-Cubs shirts, like they don't sell anti-Sox shirts by Wrigley.

As usual, another member of the media takes a shot at the Sox in their fans.

fquaye149
07-08-2005, 11:39 AM
maybe he should read my thread on linguistics here in what's the score.

on second thought, maybe nobody should read that thread.

wildcat
07-08-2005, 11:39 AM
Obviously, he's a bitter Cubs fan.

Of course, he brings up the stereotypicle Legue-esque Sox fan to illustrate his point.

He mentions the anti-Cubs shirts, like they don't sell anti-Sox shirts by Wrigley.

As usual, another member of the media takes a shot at the Sox in their fans.

Hate to disappoint you, but I know the author too, and he's actually a "die-hard" Mets fan who's never liked the Cubs.

Jerko
07-08-2005, 11:44 AM
Hate to disappoint you, but I know the author too, and he's actually a "die-hard" Mets fan who's never liked the Cubs.

And I'm sure he NEVER talks about the Yankees. That article sucked. My 6 year old niece can watch ESPN for 10 minutes and come up with the same crap.

mweflen
07-08-2005, 11:50 AM
maybe he should read my thread on linguistics here in what's the score.

on second thought, maybe nobody should read that thread.

Aw, I thought your linguistics thread was just fine :D: It's always nice to have a little Derrida in the morning. Next time do Wittgenstein.

Tekijawa
07-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Why is an Indiana Writer writing about Chicago? Aren't there more important things to write about over there? How are the Pacers off season plans going, Will Peyton finally have the D to get the Team to the Superbowl? What the **** is a Rail Cat?

I think he should be more worried about What's going on over there than what's going on here in the "Second City", worry about what's going on in your own THIRD WORLD STATE. "Look daddy" I heard an imaginary 9 year old kid say, "There's nothing going on in Indiana" as he delivered a newspaper that had more than 10 pages in it. Nothing good has ever happened in INDANA, except maybe David Letterman and Larry Bird, AND THEY BOTH LEFT...

Now go back and worry about your Mets, don't be concerned with what our fans look like or who they should be focusing on. Last I checked the last two potential HOF's you had were Crack heads and your own Identy Crisis with the Bronx Bombers is more than apparent.

Thank you for visiting our Park and I hope you enjoyed your stay.

PatK
07-08-2005, 12:21 PM

Since you know him, tell him his article blows dead toads.

mweflen
07-08-2005, 12:31 PM
Why is an Indiana Writer writing about Chicago? Aren't there more important things to write about over there? How are the Pacers off season plans going, Will Peyton finally have the D to get the Team to the Superbowl? What the **** is a Rail Cat?

I think he should be more worried about What's going on over there than what's going on here in the "Second City", worry about what's going on in your own THIRD WORLD STATE. "Look daddy" I heard an imaginary 9 year old kid say, "There's nothing going on in Indiana" as he delivered a newspaper that had more than 10 pages in it. Nothing good has ever happened in INDANA, except maybe David Letterman and Larry Bird, AND THEY BOTH LEFT...

Now go back and worry about your Mets, don't be concerned with what our fans look like or who they should be focusing on. Last I checked the last two potential HOF's you had were Crack heads and your own Identy Crisis with the Bronx Bombers is more than apparent.

Can't disagree with anything in this post :D:

Risk
07-08-2005, 12:31 PM

I do like the way you resorted to being both informal and insulting in your response.:D: I think the point that should be made to the author of this article (albeit, poorly reasoned article) is that if you live in a glass house, don't throw stones.

Risk

mweflen
07-08-2005, 12:33 PM
I do like the way you resorted to being both informal and insulting in your response.:D: I think the point that should be made to the author of this article (albeit, poorly reasoned article) is that if you live in a glass house, don't throw stones.

Risk

I forwarded this thread to his email address (listed in the article).

Hangar18
07-08-2005, 12:39 PM
What a stupid article. Didnt we already talk about how once the SOX
start playing well and winning, there would be an ANTI-SOX (and anti-sox fan)
backlash? Tell this clown hes barking up the wrong tree, and that
the Medias already been OUTED with their cross-the-journalistic-line-of-integrity pro-cub drivel. Better yet, why doesnt someone send this Joker
a link to the PROSOX article from the Houston Chronicle.....

mweflen
07-08-2005, 12:44 PM
Hangar - what's the link?

Tekijawa
07-08-2005, 12:56 PM
I forwarded this thread to his email address (listed in the article).

In that case:

My Name is Dustin, I have never worn a Bandana in my life, I don't own any "Cubs ______" type shirts, I don't have any tatoos, you'd probably walk right by me on the street and no teven notice me other than I am 6'7". I root against the Because they are all I hear about. I don't understand why after 57 wins in only 83 games I have to sit through 5 minutes of Cubs "Highlights" to see the Sox score on the local Television Stations. Try having that shoved down your throat on a nightly basis for well over 25 years and see if you don't hate something after that!

Orta 4-6-3
07-08-2005, 12:58 PM
That article was a piece of dog do. And what was with that Georgia-Georgia Tech reference? It was not only irrelevant, but inaccurate: Tech has won a National Championship in football (albeit shared) and made two Final Four appearances in basketball since Georgia did either.

wildcat
07-08-2005, 12:59 PM

Well, this seems like an unfair criticism to me. Last time I checked Merillville, Indiana (home of the Post-Tribune) was less than 40 miles from US Cellular. I'm sure that the readership of this paper cares a great deal more about Chicago sports than Indianapolis sports. Don't we have out own current thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53094) going about how many NW Indiana Sox fans there are? I don't think it's wrong for a paper to cater to its audience!

I think the author has a point. My ABSOLUTE least favorite thing about WSI is the contsant anti-Cub sentiment. You don't like the Cubs? Fine, but don't whine about it every two seconds. Sox fans should focus on the Sox, and that's all he's saying.

mweflen
07-08-2005, 01:02 PM
Well, this seems like an unfair criticism to me. Last time I checked Merillville, Indiana (home of the Post-Tribune) was less than 40 miles from US Cellular. I'm sure that the readership of this paper cares a great deal more about Chicago sports than Indianapolis sports. Don't we have out own current thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53094) going about how many NW Indiana Sox fans there are? I don't think it's wrong for a paper to cater to its audience!

I think the author has a point. My ABSOLUTE least favorite thing about WSI is the contsant anti-Cub sentiment. You don't like the Cubs? Fine, but don't whine about it every two seconds. Sox fans should focus on the Sox, and that's all he's saying.

You're some sort of Cubs fan, aren't you! CUBS FAN!!!! :tongue::tongue::tongue:

davenicholson
07-08-2005, 01:05 PM
Well, this seems like an unfair criticism to me. Last time I checked Merillville, Indiana (home of the Post-Tribune) was less than 40 miles that's all he's saying.
Hey, I'm an original Region Rat, and I thought the Ghost Tribune was based in Gary.

Tekijawa
07-08-2005, 01:10 PM
[QUOTE=wildcat]Well, this seems like an unfair criticism to me. Last time I checked Merillville, Indiana (home of the Post-Tribune) was less than 40 miles from US Cellular. I'm sure that the readership of this paper cares a great deal more about Chicago sports than Indianapolis sports. Don't we have out own current thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53094) going about how many NW Indiana Sox fans there are? I don't think it's wrong for a paper to cater to its audience! QUOTE]

Wrigley is about 16 miles away from Comiskey, why should he criticize people for "following" the other team in town? that was my point. They are so close you are FORCED, especially IN the city of Chicago, to follow what the Cubs are doing...

PatK
07-08-2005, 01:13 PM

Journalists should focus on the baseball being played on the field, not the attendance, not the fans and their attitudes.

There's just as many anti-Sox Cubs fans as there are anti-Cubs Sox fans; probably more so because there are a lot more Cubs fans in general. Do we ever hear about them? No, we hear how their fans are "die-hards" and loyal, while we are POS white trash.

But of course, re-hashing a tired stereotype takes a lot less effort than actually getting your hands dirty and digging up a fresh story. Is he auditioning for the Tribune or something?

wildcat
07-08-2005, 01:20 PM
Hey, I'm an original Region Rat, and I thought the Ghost Tribune was based in Gary.

Used to be. It's in Merrillville now and owned by the Sun-Times, not the Trib.

Iwritecode
07-08-2005, 01:26 PM
They are so close you are FORCED, especially IN the city of Chicago, to follow what the Cubs are doing...

Same exact thing happens in Rockford, if not worse.

Remember the other day when somebody (Phil Rogers?) was complaining that the best team in baseball was getting front page coverage over a sub-.500 team losing again and having yet another player get hurt?

Well the Rockford paper must've read his mind. :angry:

I turned to the sports section to find a LARGE color picture of D Lee. The funny thing is that they were doing an article on how good he has been this season. :rolling:

Then underneath that article, they mention that he was hurt and the Cubs lost yet again. I found a small article on page 2 about the Sox sweeping the D-rays. It was mixed in with all the other team re-caps. :angry:

And people wonder why there's so much hatred directed towards the team 8 miles north? It's almost the same reason everyone hates the Yankees. You just get sick of hearing about them every single day. The only difference is that at least the Yankees deserve the attention they get...

FielderJones
07-08-2005, 01:27 PM
Rarely is the question asked, is our journalists learning.

When Mark Lazarus asks, "So why does everything still have to be about the bloody Cubs?", I ask, "So why do the national media still have to be about the bloody Cubs?" Why do all the national media stories harp on the Sox as second-fiddle to the Cubs?

The evolution of corporate media has all but done away with journalism. Corporate media are about marketing, not informing. When your primary responsibility is to shareholders, not the general public, journalism takes a back seat to propaganda.

The conflict of interest that arises when a national media corporation owns a sports franchise is as plain as day. The Cubune company markets its sports franchise with a vigor that the Sox could only dream of. The national media pick up all these prepackaged stories, and Sox fans read endless items about attendance, baseball's Shrine, etc., etc. So, if Sox fans take a little extra delight in a Cubs loss, well, what's the German word for schadenfreude?

I have no tattoos, no bandanas, no gear with the word Cub on it at all. I'm a Sox fan, and my primary happiness comes from a Sox win. If the day can be capped off with a Cubs loss as well, all the better!

:gulp:

mweflen
07-08-2005, 01:29 PM
But of course, re-hashing a tired stereotype takes a lot less effort than actually getting your hands dirty and digging up a fresh story. Is he auditioning for the Tribune or something?

Can't argue with this. It is a pretty tired and unoriginal re-hash. But it's a re-hash of the truth.

I personally am quite offended when I see the "cubs fan giving a b***j*b" t-shirt" being sold at the CTA stop and in the parking lots. I think those shirts are not appropriate to sell in a place parents take their youngsters. I hate the image all those t-shirt hawkers and their very willing consumers spead of Sox fans.

I am intelligent, thoughtful, knowledgable about the game, and like the Sox because of what kind of team they are. I also have a strong sense of identity with their working-class history and clientele. And yes, I do dislike both the Cubs and their fans.

But I don't feel the need to teach other people's children about oral sex whenever discussion turns to the Cubs. I also don't swear in the stands for exactly the same reason.

Tekijawa
07-08-2005, 01:44 PM
I am intelligent, thoughtful, knowledgable about the game, and like the Sox because of what kind of team they are. I also have a strong sense of identity with their working-class history and clientele. And yes, I do dislike both the Cubs and their fans.

But I don't feel the need to teach other people's children about oral sex whenever discussion turns to the Cubs. I also don't swear in the stands for exactly the same reason.

Couldn't agree more! I don't have kids, yet, but I am overly cautious about what I say in the stands when kids are around and I'll even make sure that others around me do the same. I also think the shirt you mention does go way to far.

mr_genius
07-08-2005, 01:45 PM
That guy is just another Jason Blair. The entire article was fabricated.

I doubt the guy has ever been to a Sox game.

Risk
07-08-2005, 01:47 PM
Journalists should focus on the baseball being played on the field, not the attendance, not the fans and their attitudes.

There's just as many anti-Sox Cubs fans as there are anti-Cubs Sox fans; probably more so because there are a lot more Cubs fans in general. Do we ever hear about them? No, we hear how their fans are "die-hards" and loyal, while we are POS white trash.

Exactly. And to further your point, the whole methodology he used to base his story on is inherently flawed. Find a couple of people out of 25,000+ fans, pick out the oddest looking ones who most fit your pre-conceived notions, and delve upon their behavior/reactions to your questions, and then cherry pick quotes out of said peoples statements which further propagate your reviews. Rinse, cycle, repeat.

So some kid was looking at a score from some other game. So what? If I'm at the Sox game, and I happen to look every inning to see the score of the Twins or the Indians, it doesn't mean I'm obsessing over a rival, it means I'm seeing the big picture b/c those teams pose a threat to the Sox. The same thing goes for the Cubs, whereas they may not be in the Sox's division, but they still pose a threat to this team due to the fact that they have the media, who like the author, will never let facts get in the way of a good story, on their side and will never hesitate for one nanosecond to take pot shots or put down the Sox, while simultaneously propping up a team that promotes a "losing is cute" mentality. I don't like that mentality, nor would I, like most reasonable people, ever embrace such, but around here, that is what as seen as hip/cool (with the only saving grace is that trends die quickly, and hopefully is the same in this case) when it comes to rooting for a baseball team. I've lived in the NW burbs all my life sans 7 years of higher education, and every day the media tries to shove the Cubs down Sox fans collective throats. Only an ignorant fool wearing Cubbie blue blinders would not see how the Unlovable Losers are a threat to the team that I love.

Now, hopefully this author will take some of these observations to heart and print a follow up of the inherent media bias within the sporting news circle of the Chicago media, or possibly talk about how his so-called stereotypical fans of the White Sox (you know, that "Sox fans are more obsessed with the Cubs losing than the Sox winning, ignorant white trash who attack first base coaches" tripe) showed tremendous dedication to getting a well deserving Scott Podsednik his first all star appearance in a shocking win over 2 media darlings from the Yankees, or even better, talk about the White Sox unbridled success on their way to a possible World Series. I, however, won't hold my breath for any positive stories.

Very truly yours,

Andrew B. Fuller (Risk)

(I'm signing my name since mweflen is forwarding this thread to the author)

Jerko
07-08-2005, 01:54 PM
So, he's a Met fan. Fine. How would he like if some goofball Ray Barone wanna- be wrote an article for the Utica times about Met fans who do nothing but bitch about the Yankees.

Met Fans Obsessed with Yankees
Utica times

FLUSHING - Without a doubt, it was the dago-t (they don't call them wife-beaters in NY in deference to Wally Backman) that made the outfit. Sure, the orange and black Met jersey was sleeveless, making it easier for him to shoot up, as his heros from yester-year, Dwight Gooden and Darryl Strawberry, had done in the past. As he cut a line on the upper deck railing sporting his Dykstra vest, he noticed the Yankees were once again winning their game, while the hometown Mets were still trying to explain away Steve Phillips. "Who's your daddy", screamed a Yankee fan in attendance, causing 5,000 kids to question their lineage.

See how easy it was to regurgitate stereotypes? I'm sure I spent more time on that paragraph than went into that entire original article. Garbage.

mr_genius
07-08-2005, 01:59 PM
Here's a litle snippet of a completely unbiased article I wrote.
I AM a serious journalist.

"I was at Wrigley yesterday and suprisingly enough
their fans lived up to all the stereotypes. One
'gentleman' sitting next me was screaming "GOT WOOD"
while vomiting on himself (maybe the 18 beers i saw
him chug had something to do with it). It wasn't just
him, I saw atleast 15,000 exact clones of this fine
young man at the stadium that day. After the game
wasn't much better. I was fortunate enough to witness
4 druken frat boy fights, countless public urinations
and plenty of drunk driving. The friendly confines
indeed...

ect, ect, ect."

See, no anti-cubs bias.

wildcat
07-08-2005, 02:00 PM
That guy is just another Jason Blair. The entire article was fabricated.

I doubt the guy has ever been to a Sox game.

That's uncalled for. If you disagree with the column, fine, but don't resort to saying that he fabricated a story. I saw the bandana guy's rant, too, and I can't say that it made me proud to be a Sox fan.

Maybe not all Sox fans scream that they're "to the bone" or wear Corked t-shirts, but if this site is any indication, an awful lot of them do obsess over the Cubs!

mr_genius
07-08-2005, 02:04 PM
I saw the bandana guy's rant, too

Don't lie to mr_genius

He knows all

Jerko
07-08-2005, 02:25 PM
Nobody is saying all Sox fans are perfect. We're just sick of all these outsiders stereotyping US because of morons like Ligue. I'm sure there's a big fat tattooed ******* in Shea bitching about the Yankees too.

SpammySosa
07-08-2005, 04:13 PM

This has got to be one of the most ignorant,foolish rants I have ever read on this board.I'm sure you're not looking to make friends,but considering how many NW Indiana residents are Sox fans/on these boards,you have alienated a great deal of people with your misrepresentations of the state.

irish rover
07-08-2005, 05:18 PM
This has got to be one of the most ignorant,foolish rants I have ever read on this board.I'm sure you're not looking to make friends,but considering how many NW Indiana residents are Sox fans/on these boards,you have alienated a great deal of people with your misrepresentations of the state.

I agree and I have no idea what the people in NWI have to do with writing that article

NWI has close ties to chicago(media, dependent on each other economic reaosn .....), not Indy

mweflen
07-08-2005, 05:24 PM
satire, people, satire...:prozac

MarySwiss
07-08-2005, 05:50 PM
Ya know what? Even though I didn't think a whole lot of his article, I've seen a lot worse--and I actually do make my living as a writer and editor. But his singling out of a couple of Sox fans--if they actually existed and were not figments--as representative of the entire Sox Army really got me.

Sure, there are drunken morons at Sox games. And Cubs game. And probably many Little League games. But that doesn't mean that all Sox fans--or Cubs fans or Little League fans, for that matter--are drunken morons. I'm sure there are drunken morons at journalists' softball games. But does that mean that all journalists are--well, okay; let's don't go there.

I also had a problem with his quote "After all these years of mediocrity or worse, you finally have a winner."

I think he needs to look up the definition of "mediocrity" and then do some research. Since 1990, the Sox have finished 1st in the division three times, 2nd nine times, and 3rd twice. Never lower. Compare that with the Cubs: 1st once, 2nd once, 3rd three times. 4th or lower, 10 times.

Now tell me Mr. Lazarus, who's mediocre?

SOXSINCE'70
07-08-2005, 05:58 PM
Used to be. It's in Merrillville now and owned by the Sun-Times, not the Trib.

:moron

"Hey,lay off him.He's one of my smartest pupils".:D: :D:

SOXSINCE'70
07-08-2005, 06:02 PM
We're just sick of all these outsiders stereotyping US because of morons like Ligue.

Ligue was drinking at the Urine Shrine hours before he came to
Sox Park.You don't pull a stupid stunt like charging a defenseless
first base coach on 1 or 2 beers.At least most people don't.

bigfoot
07-08-2005, 11:16 PM
Wellllllllll,.........this guy does write for the Post-Tribune!
Just might be pushing for a promotion.

TornLabrum
07-09-2005, 12:22 AM
Ligue was drinking at the Urine Shrine hours before he came to
Sox Park.You don't pull a stupid stunt like charging a defenseless
first base coach on 1 or 2 beers.At least most people don't.

Wrong. That was Dybas. Ligue went on his little escapade while chaperoning a kid's birthday party.

SomebodyToldMe
07-09-2005, 01:10 AM

Well, if you lived here, you would understand more. I live in East Chicago, which is in NWI. And we up here are pretty much considered the Chicago area. We get all of Chicago's news programs, we have Chicago's time zone, we're not hicks, blah blah blah.

We're pretty much different than the rest of the state. Most people up here are Bears fans (ewwww) or Bulls fans. Our newspapers are full of huge Bears and Bulls articles when their seasons come around, and small Colts and Pacers ones.

So I would refrain from talking about the Region unless you knew all the facts.

Sly
07-09-2005, 01:27 AM
My first thought: Lazerus graduated from Northwestern, which is one of the top 3 journalism schools in the nation and he can only get a job at the Gary Post-Tribune?

But after reading his laughable writing skills, it's easy to see why. Enjoy making 25K a year Lazerus!

Palehose13
07-09-2005, 02:35 AM
And I'm sure he NEVER talks about the Yankees. That article sucked. My 6 year old niece can watch ESPN for 10 minutes and come up with the same crap.

There is a reason this guy is writing to THE Norwest Indiana Post-Trib.

TornLabrum
07-09-2005, 07:40 AM
My first thought: Lazerus graduated from Northwestern, which is one of the top 3 journalism schools in the nation and he can only get a job at the Gary Post-Tribune?

But after reading his laughable writing skills, it's easy to see why. Enjoy making 25K a year Lazerus!

Well, you know there are even doctors who graduate with C averages.