PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki--MVP

Paulwny
11-20-2001, 01:31 PM
http://www.canoe.ca/Slam011120/mlb_suzuki-ap.html

cheeses_h_rice
11-20-2001, 01:37 PM
Can't disagree too much with that choice. I wonder if Giambi winning it last year hurt his chances a bit this year, though...

FarWestChicago
11-20-2001, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Can't disagree too much with that choice. I wonder if Giambi winning it last year hurt his chances a bit this year, though... You may have a point there.

Spiff
11-20-2001, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
http://www.canoe.ca/Slam011120/mlb_suzuki-ap.html

Nice to see Manny Ramirez of the Indians get some votes.

:maggs

0 votes = travesty

Paulwny
11-20-2001, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00

Nice to see Manny Ramirez of the Indians get some votes.

Good Catch !!! I missed it.

RedPinStripes
11-20-2001, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
You may have a point there.

Didn't a lot of votes come from Japan? If they did I think It's a bunch of crap. How many Japenese do you think voted for anyone beside Ichrio? They never voted fo the MVP before did they?

Giambi winning it last year probably did have a big effect on this decision also.

cheeses_h_rice
11-20-2001, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by ComiskeyBum

Didn't a lot of votes come from Japan? If they did I think It's a bunch of crap. How many Japenese do you think voted for anyone beside Ichrio? They never voted fo the MVP before did they?

Uhhhhhh...I don't think the MVP is subject to ordinary fans from, say, Japan voting, unlike the All-Star voting. AFAIK, it's American sportswriters who decide on the MVP.

:moron

Goooo Sam-ME!

FarWestChicago
11-20-2001, 03:41 PM

Giambi winning it last year probably did have a big effect on this decision also. I don't think there were any Japanese voters. I believe it's sportswriters here. The All-Star game was where Japanese folks got to vote for the first time.

FarWestChicago
11-20-2001, 03:43 PM

Goooo Sam-ME! :shammy

I would really like to thank Jay Marri...whatever for voting me the greatest baseball player and humanist ever. I couldn't have done this without me. After all, I single handedly saved baseball.

RedPinStripes
11-20-2001, 03:48 PM

Uhhhhhh...I don't think the MVP is subject to ordinary fans from, say, Japan voting, unlike the All-Star voting. AFAIK, it's American sportswriters who decide on the MVP.

Goooo Sam-ME!

The only reason I ask is because I could have sworn I heard Rob Dibble saying something about Japan votes right when I got in my car. Then I heard nothing about it after that. He might have been referring to the all-star voting in Japan with Ichiro and I missed a lot of the topic.

kermittheefrog
11-20-2001, 07:26 PM

The only reason I ask is because I could have sworn I heard Rob Dibble saying something about Japan votes right when I got in my car. Then I heard nothing about it after that. He might have been referring to the all-star voting in Japan with Ichiro and I missed a lot of the topic.

My guess is there may have been a couple votes by Japanese media. The requirement for voting is to be a member of the BWAA. To be a BWAA member all you have to do is cover a local baseball team for a daily paper. A Japanese writer living in Seattle coving the M's and Ichiro could have a vote. There were 32 votes, i.e. 32 members and there are only 30 teams.

bringbackrobin
11-21-2001, 01:17 AM
Ummm...I think the BBWAA is more like some kind of club. Sort of like a retirement home for cantankerous old baseball writers. Dibble was probably just wrong, like he usually is.