PDA

View Full Version : Problem with a Huge Lead

PicktoCLick72
07-08-2005, 12:05 AM
Now I know this has been mention before and I was just mulling it over in my head. A good amount of people believe that the Sox having a huge lead going into the playoffs is a bad thing because the team will not be fresh. If the Sox do have a big lead come September, what can they do to avoid falling into a lull?

SOXfnNlansing
07-08-2005, 12:07 AM
Ozzie won't let that happen

A.T. Money
07-08-2005, 12:10 AM
No way in hell.

We play Minnesota from August 15 through the end of the regular season.

We'll see the Yankees in August, the Angels in September. And we're going to finish the month with the Tigers, Toons, and Twinks.

It's going to keep us sharp.

SOX ADDICT '73
07-08-2005, 12:36 AM
Fire Jerry Manuel as manager and replace him with someone who doesn't tinker with the lineup or fall asleep in the dugout. Someone like, I don't know, Ozzie Guil...oh wait - never mind. We're cool.

chisox06
07-08-2005, 01:01 AM
With other teams I could see having a huge lead being a concern, but we have the perfect type of manager to not let that happen. I can imagine that its extremely difficult to turn it off and then turn it back on again, if you keep that same level of intensity throughout the season you should be fired up for the playoffs, its safe to say the Oz will keep these guys playing heads up day in and day out. The only change I can forsee is giving the everyday starters a little more rest, and that can only be a good thing.

But lets not get ahead of ourselves, we can worry about that when we have a ten game lead going into September (sorry my pessismistic soxism is coming out).

soxfanreggie
07-08-2005, 01:02 AM
I always laugh at the Gogh Gogh White Sox signature...hilarious...

I definitely don't think this team would falter with that huge a lead. When we had the playoff team a few seasons ago, we got a lot of production from Baldwin and Eldred who faltered at the end of the year. Our pitching this year is so much better, desires it so much, and the guys all play as a team.

TaylorStSox
07-08-2005, 01:04 AM
This is a pro team that's not filled with alot of kids. Guys like Everett, MB, AJ and Ozzie aren't going to allow that to happen. These guys won't take their success for granted.

Ol' No. 2
07-08-2005, 01:05 AM
They can always throw the first 10 games in September to keep it close.

cleanwsox
07-08-2005, 01:36 AM
They can always throw the first 10 games in September to keep it close.

Keep with the tradition of throwing games.... at least we have a tradition of something :D:

CYGarland20
07-08-2005, 01:42 AM
Now I know this has been mention before and I was just mulling it over in my head. A good amount of people believe that the Sox having a huge lead going into the playoffs is a bad thing because the team will not be fresh. If the Sox do have a big lead come September, what can they do to avoid falling into a lull? The Cardinals had a huge lead last year, and that didn't stop them from making the W.S. :cool:

harwar
07-08-2005, 07:27 AM
They may spend most of september resting up from what is going to be a very tough august schedule.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-08-2005, 08:27 AM
Ozzie would do what a manager is supposed to do: right the ship.

Look to the North Side for a prime example of how to manage difficult situations - i.e., current 8 game skid, pitchers on the DL, game 6 & 7 of the 2003 NLCS.

Baby Fisk
07-08-2005, 08:43 AM
Keep with the tradition of throwing games.... at least we have a tradition of something :D:
GROAN!

zach23
07-08-2005, 09:22 AM
Its nice to see that the tide has changed from worrying about the Twins and Toons catching up to worrying about leading them by too many games. :smile:

Madvora
07-08-2005, 10:02 AM
A good amount of people believe that the Sox having a huge lead going into the playoffs is a bad thing because the team will not be fresh.
That's the exact opposite of what would happen. When you're not having to bust your ass day in and day out by over using your best pitchers and not being able to give your subs a chance, that's what makes your team "not fresh."
By having a large enough lead and hopefully clinching fairly early, the Sox will have plenty of time to give their starters and regulars a couple extra days rest to be "fresh" once the playoffs actually start.

I made that statement based on your choice of the word "fresh," but I think you may meant that they wouldn't have the same fire, because they would have let down their guard a little bit. In reference to that I say... no chance.

SOXSINCE'70
07-08-2005, 10:55 AM
Ozzie won't let that happen

:KW

"Neither will I".

:dye: :pods: :rowand :jon :AJ:

"Neither will we".

Lip Man 1
07-08-2005, 11:24 AM
You can probably cite as many teams that had a big lead and lost in the post season and you can teams that had big leads and won.

As Kenny would say, 'it is what it is...' Nothing anyone can do about it, just play the game and hope for the best. it's all about the pitching...if it's there the Sox win, if it isn't they lose.

Lip

TDog
07-08-2005, 11:41 AM
That's the exact opposite of what would happen. When you're not having to bust your ass day in and day out by over using your best pitchers and not being able to give your subs a chance, that's what makes your team "not fresh."...

In theory. In practice, in recent years, Wild Card teams, who have to work to get into the playoffs, have done well, even winning a few World Series. The Marlins have won two World Series and have never finished first. Atlanta finishes first a lot, and has only won one World Series. The Astros, after seeming dead in the middle of the 2004 season, came within a game of knocking off the Cardinals, and the winning-every-day Mariners of a few seasons ago fizzled in October.

There seems an advantage for the hot teams going into the postseason.

Still, I would rather go into the playoffs with a 12-game divisional lead and my pitching rotation in place. A team shouldn't need a few furious weeks of battling also-rans to generate the fire needed for a strong postseason run.

fquaye149
07-08-2005, 11:43 AM
In theory. In practice, in recent years, Wild Card teams, who have to work to get into the playoffs, have done well, even winning a few World Series. The Marlins have won two World Series and have never finished first. Atlanta finishes first a lot, and has only won one World Series. The Astros, after seeming dead in the middle of the 2004 season, came within a game of knocking off the Cardinals, and the winning-every-day Mariners of a few seasons ago fizzled in October.

There seems an advantage for the hot teams going into the postseason.

Still, I would rather go into the playoffs with a 12-game divisional lead and my pitching rotation in place. A team shouldn't need a few furious weeks of battling also-rans to generate the fire needed for a strong postseason run.

And then you have the A's of the past few years, notably the red hot 2002 A's, never winning a postseason series...

MIgrenade
07-08-2005, 01:18 PM
I think these players want it more than in 2000. There seemed to be general agreement that they would be back for the next 3 -5 years because they were so young. Schuler was cautious about making moves because of it. This year is different. They know they might not get a second chance. If they blow it, that would be a major disaster.

bigfoot
07-08-2005, 03:24 PM
The biggest problem with a big lead, especially if it continues to grow, is that media morons will have no "Who are the Sox going to trade for?" columns that could possibly make any sense. They would have to find other, more inventive themes to "diss" the Sox.

elrod
07-08-2005, 03:42 PM
There is no reliable pattern with respect to late-season streaks and playoff performance. The 2000 Yankees and 1987 Twins finished the season on an 0-7 skid and then won the World Series. The 2001 Mariners not only won 116 but won a ton of games just before the end of the season (until the very last game of the season when they missed a chance to win 117). They really were hot right until the end. And the only teams to win the WS with the best regular season record in recent years was the 1998 Yankees, 1989 A's, 1986 Mets and 1984 Tigers - only one in the Wildcard era.
Meanwhile, tons of teams eek into the playoffs in the last week and then fold right away. 1998 Cubs, anyone? Even the Angels last year, who got in by one game over Oakland, lost in three straight to the Red Sox who had the Wild Card wrapped up for weeks. There is just no real pattern.

The best thing you can have is a game-at-a-time attitude and that's what Ozzie brings to the table. This White Sox team could win 116 and fold in the first round. It could collapse and then squeak into the playoffs with 90 wins - and then win the World Series. If Ozzie treats the post-season the way he has the regular season, however, I am as confident as I can possibly be that the White Sox won't piss away a great regular season the way they did in 2000. The tough August schedule may help with post-season matchups but ultimately it will be Ozzie's management and the performance of 25 ballplayers who NEVER give up.